Are their any monasteries in your country? Post monasteries itt and tell me something about them

Are their any monasteries in your country? Post monasteries itt and tell me something about them.
Pic related is the Kye monastery. It's located in the state of Himachal Pradesh and is home to the buddhist monks from the Gelugpa sect.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Valamo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_monasteries_in_Finland
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

there*

Shameless self-bump

Do girls in the Himachal Pradesh have nice feet?

nice photo
our monasteries aren't flashy at all

Pahari girls are top tier. I've never noticed their feet, although I think they would have nice feet.

Most famous French one coming through.

>Tell me something about them

People from Normandy say it's theirs, and people from Brittany say the same. It becomes and island when the tide is high and can be reached on foot when it's not

Also very impressive place you posted, OP

Is that a Christian monastery? When was it built?

yep a catholic one. the main area to the left (a church) is as old as 17th century but the monastery itself was founded in 1984 (the extra houses)
this pic is of an ukrainian orthodox monastery

That's a beautiful structure. What's wrong with the bridge in that pic, has it collapsed?

Closest abbey to my location
it was built in the 12th century for just 20 monks
it was the first presence of the Cirstercian Order in Provence

Comfy

tell them about the legend of its construction i forgot about it

I love this one because of his dramatic location as well, moutain makes a lot of things better
Built between the XI and XIIth century, it's Christian obviously

No, it's underwater because of the tide and will appear again when the water recedes

>tell them about the legend of its construction i forgot about it

I don't know it either tbf, but a quick research tells me there are more than one and some are completely different from each other

Pic related isn't used as an abbey anymore I think, but the front always impressed me

There are some, the best known is Valamo. It's orthodox. Lutherans (and protestants in general) don't really "do" monasteries. AFAIK.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Valamo

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_monasteries_in_Finland
>Lintula Holy Trinity Convent Orthodox
>Monastery of Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Finland Catholic
>Monastic Community of Enonkoski Lutheran
>Nådendal Abbey Catholic (disused)
>New Valamo Orthodox
>Rauma Franciscan Friary Catholic (disused)

Post more, OP

Birth place and main monastery of the Carthusians order ("Chartreux"), as such the monks have a set of rule among which solitude so the monastery is closed for public, no visits.

There is museum a couple km away though to learn about the monastery

wonderful. It's gothic, right? i love the gothic style, especially because of the huge buttress

this thread is comfy as f
please post more pics

it has a quite humble architecture i like it

tell us about it
It's gigantic, looks more like a castle than a monastery

Flamboyant gothic I think, I always love it when the stone look so aerial

I have far more pics of churches and cathedrals than proper abbey/monasteries but that will do
I don't have much to say about them either that isn't just taken from wikipedia

Wait a second. Thats where the liquor comes from right? Chartreuse?

>quite humble architecture
you consider that humble? my country's is humble architecture, it's a fucking big house with red tiles

they aren't? are you saying you did this OC?

oops wrong pic

Yeah, it's their prime income apparently, looks pretty fucking strong
The mountain range around also has the name Chartreuse

Here's another monastery, this time far from the subtle ones I posted but nonetheless impressive imo

I like how there are farms surrounding the monastery. I'm guessing the monks are the one who till that land.

The location of this one reminds me of that Italian mansion of Al Pacino in the first Godfather film.

>mountain makes a lot of things better
True. Pic related is the Phuktal monastery. It is built inside a mountain. The monastery is built around a natural cave, which is believed to have been visited by numerous sages, scholars, translators, and monks around 2,550 years ago.

>they aren't? are you saying you did this OC?

What do you mean ? For now I only posted pics taken from internet, I have OCs of some pretty religious buildings but none of them are monasteries so I won't post them here

well, i meant regarding other french monasteries from similar times...

I don't know much about them. I suppose they aren't in use anymore.

Wew, Indian monks sure want to be far away from the world and like extreme locations.

I don't see where do they poo

oh. i misunderstood
i thought you were snapping / droning around monasteries pics as a living or for art's sake

good troll

Can I levitate if I go monk-mode?

try and tell us how it went

i don't think we call them that

Here is ours

I wish
I have dropped my previous study and I am considering pursuing something related to cultural heritage

Wasn't this the same monastery that was burned down in ht 16th century by a Finnish guerrilla chief?

is there actually any monks in the US?

Yes I think
Source: the USA has now an "official" Trappist beer like Belgium, and those are brewed by monks

if unitedstatians weren't such trolls i wish one of them posted buddhist (and why not catholic) monasteries from the west coast

>buddhist

Fuck you remind there is a nice one in my area, pic related
Its reputation was recently ruined by pedophilia accusations tho

Pic related is Lingdum monastery. It's located in Sikkim which was a small region like Bhutan but officially became a part of India in 1975.

Looks like one those fancy cakes.

So no outside contact? How do they get new monks?

Really comfy.

Looks like a university, which i suppose a monastery is.

Saved to my Sup Forums bantz folder.

get on my level

>How do they get new monks?

No idea. But I think the solitude rule is a bit more complicated, after all they also produce alcohol somehow all the booze has to leave the monastery which means people come to get it

Keep the pics coming, memes outside India has really impressive ancient architecture

It reminds me of pic related, but it's not a monastery, "just" a basilica

who cares about some retarded cult houses lmao

xD

I doubt any remain active, most have been turned into museums and cultural institutions. It happens when you fight two civil wars on separation of church and state.

this one makes me uncomfortable

I know that feel
Many of ours were abandonned after persecutions after the Revolution, but when the dust settled a lot regained monks and are now activr again

What's the matter with it

>most have been turned into museums and cultural institutions
that's much better than demolishing or burning them down, well done Mexico

It would be somewhat out of place for modern Mexico and I like the buildings are open to the public, still we never had something as impressive as Wasn't aware this was a monastery.

Chartreuse is delicious.

Pic related is Diskit monastery, situated in the Nubra Valley. The monastery sits at the base of a Buddha staute (it might be a Padmasambhava staute I'm not sure).

This one is quite beautiful.

Is it available in the USA or did you get a taste of it in France ?
I'm not really into spirits myself but I taste pretty much everyting new I can so it would include chartreuse if I had the opportunity

You can buy it here. It tastes like an alpine forest, it's amazing on cold days.

Je sais pas trop. Je te dis en français parce que j'ai la flemme de réfléchir.
On dirait l'arrière d'une gare ou un entrepôt abandonné. Ou un coin paumé dans un vieux jeu de guerre. C'est juste paumé, le sol et cimenté, ça a l'air d'être derrière le bâtiment donc personne n'est là, le bâtiment et très haut et t'es un peu confiné, enfermé. Je sais pas c'est chelou, peut-être c'est juste moi

>still we never had something as impressive

Mont Saint-Michel is really in its own category imo, part abbey, part fortress, part village. The rock upon which it stands had been a place of worship for centuries before the first abbey was even constructed and Christianity took roots.
It's really crowded with tourists especially during summer and spring but I would still recommend to visit it

This one is also on an island, although other than that is doesn't have much to do with the Mont Saint-Michel

To be honest, I love that feeling.

I know what you mean but it really depends. Here the building is so simple it looks like it wasn't made by humans and it's just there for no reason.

Try génépi liquor if you can some day, it another alpine liquor produced in France
If you pick up the plant yourself you can make your own

It's one of the few things our government has done right, they've done the same to most of the 19th century government buildings, some are magnificent. it's why most of our government works out of brutalist architecture today but Mexico City is filled with some very awesome museums.

Thanks for the recommendation, looks great!

Non je vois ce que tu veux dire, je pense pas que celle-ci te plaise non plus

There are many others, also in other mountain ranges in France
I guess people just used to pick up whatever plant they wanted and make booze out of it
Anyway Calvados is my favorite, but it's not an "alpine" type of spirit

Novodevichy monastyr, located almost in the center of Moscow.

>tfw not a single Italian or Russian in this thread
I was hoping they'd show up.

Anyway pic related is Tawang Monastery located in Arunachal. There are multiple legends associated with its inception one which also includes the Hindu goddess Kali and Shiva.

Please translate. I want to know what makes you uncomfortable about that place.

Finally

He said for him it kinda looks like the back of a train station or an abandonned warehouse, or even some forgotten place from a war video game.
Lost place, cement foundations, looks deserted, too tall but not very wide so a bit claustrophobic.
user just find it weird and hard to explain

I love Chinese and Japanese temples.

look up Meteora and Mount Athos

I actually love that one. I think it was more because it was behind the building and it looked like a confined area. Maybe i'm slightly claustrophobic and I mixed it with other fears, nevermind then

I said :
>I don't really know. I tell you in French because I am too lazy to concentrate.
>It looks like the back of a station or an abandoned warehouse. Or a lying corner in an old war game. It's just lost, the floor is cemented, it seems to be behind the building so no one is there, the building is very high and you're a bit confined, locked up. I don't know, it's just weird, maybe it's just me

russian architecture is so unique, I've always liked it

There ya go then, a ruin can hardly feel confined

Subhuman as fuck.

Trust a Dane feel the pain etc

pic related, the Rock Church is a monastery of the Pauline order (the only Hungarian-founded monastic order) located inside a cave in the center of Budapest

Pannonhalma, the monastery of Benedictine monks, founded in 996

Old Russian architecture is nice, we used to have a taste in architecture. But Soviets completely erased that taste, and today Russian architecture (if its not some fancy building in Moscow) is completely Black Africa tier.

Time to eat, last one for now

Cistercian monastery in Zirc

the Benedictine monastery of Tihany

Its Stift Melk. And its an Benedictine Abbey from the times of the 11th century