Can we all agree it got robbed?

Can we all agree it got robbed?

Other urls found in this thread:

myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1356397
cartoonbrew.com/award-season-focus/proof-that-oscar-voters-are-clueless-about-animation-109456.html
youtube.com/watch?v=f1e_OdUzBeY
youtube.com/watch?v=ISFZP9fw4yU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No, it wasn't a very good movie.

It was a hell of a lot better than Zootopia

Story was meh but it being an amazingly well done stop motion film does make it feel robbed

I fell asleep during it, was pretty shitty.

Oh yeah definitely. That studio ALWAYS gets robbed though.

No. You only have that opinion because it is contrarian.

It will always be a Disney shitflick winning best animated feature. Get used to it.

I personally liked Zootopia a little more than Kubo. My top three animated movies in 2016 were:

1) Zootopia
2) Kubo
3) Moana

And you're not contrarian by saying it was shit?

It's a proven FACT that the best animated feature category is a joke because 9/10 times the jurors will not watch any of the films and just give the award to disney, this is again, a confirmed proven fact.

No, it wasn't that good.
Sure Laika was robbed in the past, especially with Coraline, but that doesn't mean that they should now win for for mediocre films.

My major problem was that she spent the entire film collecting this set of magical armor....only to discard it entirely in the final fight. WTF

I can't believe people like Zootopia that much. What a fucking pointless, boring, movie. It's so obsessed with getting its politics message across that it forgets to actually have an interesting adventure behind it.

The story in kubo suffered in the last act. No real buildup to the grandfather whatsoever, the revelation was glossed over too quickly and the final confrontation felt rushed to boot. Beautiful and well acted film though.

Zootopia I thought was better rounded overall. In terms of creativity and pacing.

No, not in any way. We can all agree that stop-motion animation is cool, but it doesn't automatically deserve an Oscar every time. Kubo was boring

>She

I also thought HE was a girl, but Kubo's a boy. And honestly the film would have been better if he had been a girl

I didn't say it was shit.

>it is a proven fact that jurors don't watch movies instead they automatically give the award to disney
Source?

>It wasnt already obvious that the armor wouldnt be kept to defeat the moon god

The focus on the shamisen and 'strings' in the title made it ridiculously obvious.

Remember when Brave won against ParaNorman

Sorry thought you did earlier.

myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1356397
cartoonbrew.com/award-season-focus/proof-that-oscar-voters-are-clueless-about-animation-109456.html

They released statements from the critics shortly after the 2015 ceremony. Turns out only like 2 guys assigned to animated films actually watched all of them, the rest either didnt watch a single one and voted for the disney film (bh6) or they just watched a few and voted for one of those. Kaguya and Song of the sea were the favorites in the industry

Go take a look at the winners for animated films every year, as this guy said paranorman losing against brave??

And one of the critics for the 2015 awards said that he didn't watch one of the films because it was a "chinese piece of shit"; and the film was 100% irish. Another one said he only watched the movies his kids wanted to watch and another one said he only took his kids to the theater and left to attend a phonecall and returned when the movies were over because he didnt like animated films, so he just voted for the disney film everytime

The international title was "kubo and the samurai quest" which was honestly much more ambiguous

Robbed from Best Animated Feature? No, Kubo's story was weak and it wasn't a great film.

Robbed from Best Visual Effects? Absolutely. Jungle Book looked like wet dogshit.

You missed the point.

nah

Technically, maybe, but even so Zootopia had some breddy gud CGI and a better plot

Terrible, TERRIBLE Shakira song though

>Jungle Book looked like wet dogshit.
contrarianism

it looks like a damn ps4 game

Disney needs to be ended.

Kubo and The Red Turtle were far better than Zootopia, but the Oscar goes to Disney (almost) every year. Sad!

wrong

It wasnt awful, but I cant say I was blown away or incredibly impressed compared to the stop motion of Kubo.

I might be misremembering, but was Sup Forums always so obsessed with treating everything like its trying to push some agenda on them? I feel like Sup Forums has gone really SJW these last few years with the whole "im being opressed by the liberals" schtick.

this.

unbelievably wrong, did you watch the movie on a fucking cam rip? The vfx in jungle book were on the next level

What makes Zootopia so special? Just seems like your average, "what if everyone was an animal that could talk" movie. Movies like Kubo and Moana at least feel like they have unique aesthetics.

The effects werent bad, but really they werent blowing my mind, sure it was impressive that it was all shot on set, but then lined up against Kubo which is a heavily detailed action stop motion film, it just shouldnt even compare.

Effects like they were from Jungle Book are expected, shit is always going to keep pushing forward and looking more realistic, Kubo takes massive amounts more effort to make it look as good as it did.

the city in zootopia is better than anything in kubo
and no just making it stop motion doesn't automatically makes it better than CG there was much more tought on how the things in zootopia works

Kubo was animated. Jungle Book was not. Not even sure how they can be compared desu senpai (directed in general, not at you specifically).

I really like the appearance and work put into this film but it's script and story doesn't light a candle to Zootopia.

>render model in 3D computer program
>3D print model for every frame
What's the point of stop motion if you're just swapping in printed CG frames?

Because everything is still done in stop motion?

youtube.com/watch?v=f1e_OdUzBeY

>there was much more tought on how the things in zootopia works

I meant the faces.

>Fucking Zootopia shit
>Winnig over Kubo or the Red Turtle
>Furryfags on this board will say that piece of shit movie was better than any of this two

Fuck you, you cunts

there is tho, I bet you haven't even watched the movie

>not realizing zuchinni should've won
Disney is normie choice.
Laika fags just fall for muh stop motion aesthetics every time. With all that Nike money they should invest in a writer lol.

It should've been Wreck-it Ralph not Paranorman.

Why not? They have the technology to make the process for creating stop motion models way more convenient, less time consuming and less stressful, everything is still amazing, and the 3D printing doesnt make them perfect, they have to be edited after they're printed

Wreck-it-Ralph was good, but for story+animation I still prefer ParaNorman

What's the point of "Best Animated Feature"? Is it "the best movie that happens to be animated", or is it meant to reflect the quality of the actual animation?

The point is "the best movie that happens to be animated, but because it happens to be animated we won't take it seriously as a movie".

They made the category literally just so they could give Shrek an oscar, instead of nominating it for best picture.

Since then they haven't really known what to do with it and its just become the Pixar/Disney award since the ballots for that category are stuffed by ex disney and pixar people.

The oscars are a joke in general but this category is particularly bad, 2 years ago they didn't even nominate the lego movie when it honestly should have won, and 5 years ago they gave it to fucking Brave.

Zootopia didn't do anything special. Artistically it's as bland as every other Disney animated movie. You can see in all the behind the scenes work for Laika's movies that they are labors of love. Artistically, technically, Kubo was vastly superior to Zootopia.

What's the actual good animated film award(s)?

>technically
Didn't Zootopia also do a lot of technical work with fur rendering and stuff?

both zootopia and moonlight brought up important issues. Not like anyone watches animated films anyway. The best animated short also got robbed.

there isn't one, just do what I do and live in either NYC or LA where you get every single movie that comes out in the year playing near you, and lots of film festivals so you can see all the features and shorts, then make up your own mind about what the best films are. Personally I thought Zootopia was probably the best animated film of the year, and Pear Cider and Cigarettes was without a doubt the best short.

>we couldn't think up an ending for our short, so we let the intern do it for us
the animation and music was cool but my god was that story a piece of crap

i'd rather not watch her rip out her eye and marry a child thank you very much

the fact that they wrote themselves into that corner is a problem, they didn't do anything interesting with the premise AT ALL, it just spends the whole runtime explaining her superpower and how it sucks then just fucking ends without concluding her story at all, and breaks the 4th wall in an uninteresting way. Very disappointing, a good story needs a beginning middle and end.

>dude hamsters ride the train just like the taller animals lmao
>yeah but why, couldn't they just have their own train and not take the risk of being stepped on? why do they even have to commute?
>dude hamsters and rats also drive cars on the streets lmao
>have you ever seen a bike lane? those barely work and are always blocked by parked cars or construction, I can't imagine a tiny rat lane working at all. what about when they need to get to the other side of the street, don't they risk being crushed by the bigger cars?
>dude it's cute the hamsters also have their own escalators and also use tubes to get around lmao

The way I see it, if the animated film gives you a hard on it deserves the oscar. That's why it had to be zootopia.

and yet in 2009 Up beat Secret of Kells, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Coraline, and the Princess and the Frog

every single one of those had better waifus, but no we have to give it to pixar because muh feels for the first 5 minutes

youtube.com/watch?v=ISFZP9fw4yU
loved that movie

dude animals doing human things lmao

>thought into how things in zootopia works
>Animal Puns: The City

What do the carnivores eat?

its art bro

I watched them back to back and thought Zootopia was much better. I guess people just like Kubo because it's the "underrated" one. But I found it pretty boring after Zootopia.

>Zootopia won
>Kimi no na Wa wasn't even nominated.

The Oscar for best animated feature has been a joke for some time now, just ignore it.

sure, but that doesnt make it good art

everything non-mammal is food

Kubo does everything for me when it comes to visuals, while Zootopia is pretty generic looking, does better with the story for me.

they might as well nominate it next year seeing as it's not out on bluray until october

>dude what if we made a movie about racism but instead of people it was animals so we could market to both children and furries lmao

fuck off retard, zootopia was trash

This is factually true, at least artistically.

When was the last time that stop motion defeated CGI?

FX oscars also counts.

>kablam.jpg
Elder God taste. Complete NickKino

Was Kimi no na Wa even released in the US? My life as a cucumber just came to my local theater this week and it came out in France like 2 years ago.

just adding dude in front of a high concept is not a criticism

explain to me why you felt zootopia was trash

My Life As a Zucchini got robbed.

>it's made with stop motion so it's automatically great

eh, I don't agree with this reasoning.

If you think Zootopia deserved to win over Kubo you are a pleb, end of story.

2005, Wallace and Gromit: the curse of the wererabbit beat out corpse bride and Howl's moving castle. That's the only time a stop motion film won the award. But its important to remember the category's only been around since 2001 because the academy was worried that if they nominated Shrek for best picture it might win so they gave it its own category. The same thing was actually done for Snow White in 1937 where it was given an honorary award instead of nominating it for best picture.

The only time an animated film was nominated for best picture in the 89 years of the awards was Beauty and the Beast in 1991. Silence of the Lambs won that year.

The academy really doesn't respect animation as real cinema, they have a lower opinion of it than comedies.

I think Zootopia was way better. I do think Kubo was made in terms of art, but really failed on the story. I could not tell what was going on sometimes. Also I called the other two twists immediately once the monkey twist was revealed. Man, but I really wanted to like but I couldn't. Great animation though.

point of zootopia: life is difficult and complex and only by working together can we make anything work

point of kubo: Getting to heaven will require some sacrifices, but fuck that, pray to lanterns.

>but fuck that, pray to lanterns.
t. completely unbiased opinion

Why it is so hard to have a decent animated category?

It's a money making scheme?

as I said, the people who select the nominees don't really care that much about animation since they don't see them as on the same level as other fine cinema

most members of the academy aren't interested in animation so don't see all the nominees, if you haven't seen all the films nominated you're supposed to abstain, so very few vote in that category

most of the people who do vote are ex disney or pixar which is why they win every single year. That's how you wind up with shit like Brave winning despite it being absolute garbage.

Disney and or Pixar wins unless their release schedule doesn't hit every year, which is why Spirited Away and How to Train Your Dragon won.

Nah it was good but the story was really rushed near the end.

They have become every bit as bad and autistic as the SJWs they hate, yes.

A stop motion film is why they created the category in the first place.
The academy got a huge shit storm from the industry and general masses from Chicken Run not getting a single nomination in anything.
It's kinda why Wallace and Grommit was given the freebie win it's year.
Side note, Red Turtle was hands down the best in the category but I'm not surprised after the Big Hero 6 debacle.

How did Big Meme 6 win? What was it up against?

boxtrolls, how to fuck your dragon 2, song of the sea, and tale of princess kaguya

the lego movie wasn't even nominated

It was actually the worst picture in the category.
It beat out Princess Kaguya and Song of the Sea. Two vastly superior movies in both storytelling and actual animation quality.

>best in the category
>a movie that advocates bestiality

>Spirited Away
>The bath house is obviously a brothel therefore implying child prostitution.
>Wins

>song of the sea
>vastly superior storytelling
I saw it when it premiered and hated it, made a bunch of threads discussing it that no one ever replied to, oh well now I can finally rant.

My biggest problem was that the protagonist was an absolutely unlikable piece of shit who realizes FAR too late in the movie that he should stop blaming his sister for their mother's death (it should have come ATLEAST a half hour sooner). I fucking hated that whiny little cunt who literally would rather watch his sister drown than save her.

The whole story takes place on the edge of the fantastical but most decidedly stays in the mundane, I'm much more interested in a story about magic and mystical creatures than I am about an all too real story of a kid who resents his disabled sister and the tearing apart of a family.

For a film called Song of the Sea there was surprisingly little of either, it quite decidedly takes place on land and there wasn't nearly enough singing. The scene where she turns into a seal was one of the few memorable bit of the film for me, it needed more of that.

I cannot believe this was made by the same people who did Secret of Kells. Can you imagine Ben doing anything nearly as awesome as Brendan from Kells when he literally slays a god, I cant.

Also I found it assumed a great deal of familiarity with Irish folklore that I didn't have. What exactly is a selkie? The film never tells me. And the songs are all in Gaelic, fucking gaelic really?

spirits don't have sex user

I honestly agree with you.
But if I were to just strictly compare it with BH6, it was absolutely a better overall film.
Everything about BH6 was completely mundane and generic.