/mls/ general - PLAYOFFS edition ii (+ /ayy/)

---===CONFERENCE FINALS===---

GAME ONE
>11/21
Columbus Crew vs Toronto FC, 0-0 (FT)
Seattle Sounders def. Houston Dynamo, 2-0 (FT)

GAME TWO
>11/29
Toronto FC vs Columbus Crew, 7:30pm EST
>11/30
Seattle Sounders vs Houston Dynamo, 10:30pm

>Aussie A-League
www.a-league.com.au/

Other urls found in this thread:

sportingnews.com/ca/soccer/news/we-dream-of-los-angeles---lewandowskis-plans-future-mls-move/zh4ldrnn50781fpr1wmb6l95k
metro.us/sports/new-mls-money-structure-will-help-teams-retain-star-players
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

filthy snowbacks

>big strong muscular and ELITE sydney fc starting half their usual subs
cheeky

expansion announcement when

second week of december I think(hope)

more like newcastle fuckheads

o'daddy suck my DICK

>LAFC already previously announced
>Sacramento definitely not next
>St Louis rejected their stadium deal
>No plans for SA but Columbus owner will move team to Austin by sheer force of bank account

Updated list when?

>another week of every other team throwing their sydney conspiracy theories around
Lmao. How many games do >we have to win before you admit that it might be a little more than the refs?

Can't see Newcastle not winning it all this year

after the announcement

SEAAAAAAAATLE

>Sacramento definitely not next
on what basis?

New to mls thread.
What is with aussies and mls?

The /mls/ and /ayy/ (A-League) general are merged

>seattle vs toronto final again
this cum guzzling sport isn't for me

>Canadian Championship down from 7 teams to 6
>3 MLS teams, 1 USL team, winners of pro Ontario and Quebec league
And I bet the teams will still be mostly foreigners
no wonder we're so shit

>MLeIS thread
>can't even reach 20 posts
Wew

Blame MLS for making playoff games so apart

this is the week in which we quietly contemplate the season gone by, and look ahead to da Glorious MLSC Up

They're trying to avoid clashes with American Football, they scared

LADS

Did you know no MLS team has ever won a triple?
It'll be pretty exciting when TFC wins the first one this year

There was some article I saw that said they should've used the day after thanksgiving, since there's no games on

Thats what people expected Seattle to do in 2014 this will be no different

*blocks your path*

>newcastle addicts

last year we had a general vote and /ayy/ won a merger with /mls/

promotes increased exposure of both leagues and help keeps the general bumped, Trump would approve of this deal.

>Canadian Championship
literally preseason tournament tier trophy

there's only the American triple, SS-USOC-MLSCUP

or the NA Quadruple SS-National Tourney-MLSCup-CCL trophy

Look, it's hard when you only have three nationally competitive teams in the country

>only three teams in all of MLS

CALGARY UNITED WHEN

>four more days

>Triton and Trudeau

First for Andrew Durante and based Wellywood Nix

how's /ayy/ working out?

I'M A DYNAMO

>three hours

Is this the end of /mls/?

i hope so

But that's black friday, everybody is at stores to praise the gods of consumerism

Anyone else over this playoff format? How do the aussies do it?

single elimination, 2-3 games depending on seeding, takes place over 2 and a half weeks

Redpill me on George John

this is fine

Except they have, what, 2 or 3 times as many teams

Sorry, MLS has 2 or 3 times as many teams

sportingnews.com/ca/soccer/news/we-dream-of-los-angeles---lewandowskis-plans-future-mls-move/zh4ldrnn50781fpr1wmb6l95k
Don't know how reliable this is but
>‘We dream of Los Angeles’ - Wife of [Robert] Lewandowski hints at MLS move

how about no playoffs, single table, balanced schedule

Season ends Oct 22nd, 2 week November international break which kills all the hype begins on the 6th. You can stick a maximum of 4 games in that time, playing once every 3 days, which is a tough schedule. So either 4 teams home/away or 16 team knockout bracket, 8 is probably more feasable.

Some unacceptable alternatives are reducing the amount of games played (unacceptable), starting the season in February (not possible in some markets), compacting the schedule more, or completely eliminating MLS cup.

Maybe we could do what the euroboos do and have knockout cup games throughout the season without any sort of seeding, with the cup finals a home/away for the last two weeks. Although it's different from our playoff norms so people wouldn't understand. That way the supporters shield is worth more. Unbalanced schedule kind of sucks but we are having trouble playing 34 games, with 23 teams next season how are you going to end up fitting another 10 games into our schedule?

You sound like a bitch

>Maybe we could do what the euroboos do and have knockout cup games throughout the season without any sort of seeding

God this is some top quality bait, almost got me

literally the worst possible structure to run an american league

>a fucking leaf

It's the whole league cup vs national cup shit. The EFL cup needs to die but the problem is that the MLS has both Canadian and American teams, so you can't have a true North American "playoff" when, for example, Toronto and Vancouver were ranked #1 and #3 in their respective conferences. Some of the best teams would miss out and the winner of the US open cup or the Canadian championship wouldn't necessarily be the best team in North America. The CONCACAF Champions League winner would.

I'm all for giving more credence to the CCL but are the owners going to go for that when realistically they would be super lucky to get a Canadian/American team into the finals, let alone win. Would whitebread flyover fucktards be happy that they get BTFO on a regular basis by Mexicans? Or would they go watch something else where their teams win.

That and it would destroy what they're trying to build with the MLS cup. All that history, lump it in with the hockey shootouts, no tie games, etc.

So let's hear it. How do you proposed we fit in an entire playoff structure within 2 weeks, with 4 playing dates if you're lucky?

what's the matter? can't handle having to actually perform every week?

>muh americans need playoffs
>muh geography

Conferences and schedule structure is because of travel you idiot. One round trip from LA to Montreal is more travel than any team during in EPL

than any team's entire season*

let teams charter private flights then

>playing 46 games with 2 more for every team that joins the league

>coastal teams traveling an entire continent 4-6+ times a season

>central based teams at an advantage because of less travel on either side

>not even adding on USOC/CCL games as well on top of that slate

it would unironically be worse and degrade play, not to mention by the time the league is done expanding we'd be talking about nearly a 60 game season just for the league, it just wouldn't work here, there's a reason why we aren't a carbon copy of european leagues because we're not the same as them in terms of the sport or culture

The season is essentially over with Toronto being crowned the MLSC up champions. What is there to discuss until the transfer window opens?

I'm holding off on truly liking a team/mls until Phoenix gets a team. Which will never happen

Why did the Phoenix bid die? I felt like after St. Louis, San Diego, San Antonio, and Detroit all died, Phoenix stood a good chance

Phoenix never released a stadium plan, if I remember correctly

Their current stadium is designed to be expandable and I think that's what they'd do.

I don't know enough to dispute that, so I'm going to assume you're right. I would imagine they'd be a big contender for teams 27 and 28 along with whoever gets passed over this round

Is the MLS taking steps to avoid the stigma of "retirement league"?

Yeah, it's a stale meme at this point.

>Toronto being crowned the MLSC up champions

congrats columbus, toronto won the gay cup which means all their other teams are guaranteed to lose

Aside from Villa the aging star euros aren't the best players/driving force in the league anymore, young and unknown South Americans are the best players in MLS at this point, most MLS franchises at this point look for more competitive players in terms of wages and abilities these days compared to a few years ago

>implying we let 46 teams in
>implying central teams won't have to travel coast to coast
>implying that's not a salary cap/roster limitation problem
>reddit spacing
>muh we aren't europe
kys doyle

Holy shit we have a genuine retard boys

not an argument

Wasn't there a chivas usa in mls before?

worst mlels team all time

>leaf education

What will 2018 bring, lads?

another Sounders championship

>leaf reading comprehension

YEAH BUOYYY

Why do US teams always do poorly in the champions league? Is it not highly regarded in america?

MLS play is not very good

Mexico consistently fields better teams than us, and we routinely get eliminated in concacaf CL

>the EFL cup needs to die
No.
Why can't the mls cup just be between the winners of each conference?

>Mexico consistently fields better teams than us
So >you don't give a shit

Based, Muscular and ELITE Sydney FC, lads.

you should know by now most of america doesnt care about Soccer. The few that do want the league to get out of the "retirement league" stereotype, but quality of play is still very poor compared to EPL, Bundes, etc

OK, tell me if this is retarded; you have, call it, 48 somewhat stable teams, all divided into conferences, similar to college sports (some divisions with 10, some with 6, it's all relative to how many teams you have in the nearby area).

You play at least two games against each team in your conference, one home and one away. Then you would schedule the remainder of the games on your own (or the league does it, doesn't matter). You would play a total of 30 games. Playoffs would be similar to NPSL or PDL format.

I showed you my dick please respond

The prize money pool is pretty small, no incentive to prioritize it over league play
The knockouts are during >our preseason so teams are in poor form
Our teams also aren't very good compared to Mexican ones

Is cbus rip

See

Yeah, cbus is rip. Everyone's flipping out saying that "Oh, MLS is a Ponzi scheme, MLS is failing" which is why /mls/ is dead

LADS

able to die faster than a speeding bullet

less active then a geriatric bingo night

up in page 7

its a bird, its a plane, its...

/ayy/

F

>lafc
Ironically yes there is.

are mls fags finally waking up to how stupid single entity is?

>metro.us/sports/new-mls-money-structure-will-help-teams-retain-star-players
>The idea of this fund of money would be for the league to continue to get and retain players between 18-21 years old, a crucial age for the league to be competitive on the international transfer market.

I meant having teams a little bit closer, like maybe the top five reds could be one division 'Northwest', California and Nevada could be Southwest, the remaining reds plus some nearby greens could be just West. I don't know the regions very well, but I think you know what I mean

>the sheer number of all of these declined options

How are all of these players going to get replaced?