What did Sup Forums think of this flick? I thought it was pretty good considering nothing happens for 2 hours

What did Sup Forums think of this flick? I thought it was pretty good considering nothing happens for 2 hours.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/sound
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Isla Fisher should've been the lead female.

>le you left me and aborted our baby so now I'll take my revenge by writing a shitty revenge book about how you were raped which will somehow show you that I'm a grown up now and rekindle the old flame of love towards me just to be even more revenged when I passively-aggresively won't show up on our date!
It was pretty good and that Michael Shannon was great.

Kino

Pretty terrible. Good acting and all, love Michael Shannon with a mustache, but christ it was boring.

The car chase/harassment scene was one of my favorite scenes from a movie this year. The rest was mediocre.

It was so intense I got a panic attack.
Too real.

>nothing happens for 2 hours
I don't think it was a great movie, but I'm a bit confused at this description. the book scenes were almost nonsensically over the top

she was the rapist in the book

Why was she so disturbed by the story? I can understand her feeling guilty but she seemed scared reading it.

That's a very superficial summary.

>she was the rapist in the book
Wait what

I think her new husband/boyfriend was the rapist in the book. He felt that his wife and child had been taken away because he was weak and couldn't protect them.

She's drowning in mundaneness and the book seems to be the first thing in a long time that forces her emotions out of her control.

I think the rapist is the predator aspect of nocturnal animals and combines characteristics of both.

the point of the book wasn't to rekindle their love it was to show her that good art is inherently personal, and that she was stupid for thinking otherwise. I actually don't know how you didn't get this because it was pretty hamfisted. the revenge is proving her wrong about his talent

I mean both she and the rapist literally say "you're weak" at the most pivotal moments in each plot

Her husband dedicated it to her, she starts reading it, and then it's full of horrific shit. If it were just some random book she read, it probably wouldn't have much of an impact on her.

Yeah, he's really talented as it only took him 20 years to write a pretty basic revenge story.

But he wasn't talented. He was never going to be successful. Look at the novel on it's own merits, it's a pretty bland, meaningless story. It only has meaning to him and his ex wife.

The book showed that he hadn't recovered from what happened, he never remarried or stopped thinking about it, and the events of the novel give us a glimpse into his obsession and self loathing.

All I don't understand is why he sent her the novel in the first place. Most likely he did think he was talented and wanted to show her that, but then he doesn't turn up at the end.

Are you being intentionally contrarian/stupid?

stuff happened. the stuff was just so cliche'd.

> What's up redhead bitch it's me, aliens. All of these smart scientists in the world are communicating with us but thank god we have your stronk woman mind to suggest using visual aides, which nobody in the entire fucking planet thought of.

> Oh this, it's our language. For some reason when you learn it you can see the future n sheeit. That's why we came here in like 10 different ships, even though technically we could have accomplished everything much easier if we'd just sent this one and talk to you, which we for sure would have known about since we can all see the future. Oh well.

> Anyways did I mention you're going to have a kid with a terminal illness that can't be changed? You better drag along this guy with you so that he too can partake in the sweet joy of raising a child that will inevitably die in a young age. What could be better than that amirite?

I give it a BVS/10.

>All I don't understand is why he sent her the novel in the first place.
Didn't he want her to know how she'd made him feel?

Through all of the 'book sequences' I thought to myself that it wouldn't work well in a book form.
What we see is a pretty good movie script, not a novel.

Yep, that's this movie, not the other one alright.

Why would he? That would look weak. It's been like 20 years.

Then why send her a book in the first place?
Why respond to her messages?
At this point weak is not showing your face.

If you're the same guy, I apologize for implying you're stupid as you made the effort of replying normally. We, as the audience, are reading the book as her fantasy plays it out so we can't tell anything about what's actually on the pages so I wouldn't get caught up trying to see if it's a good novel or not, it's about the story and her relation to it.

Look at it as a story.
>Man fails to protect his family
>justice system fails him
>Luckily his cop friend has cancer, so he wants to kill someone. Pretty convenient.
>Main character gets revenge, dies in the process.
>also that fucking awful monologue from the rapist at the end

10/10 revenge story, very original.

It's all fine, I understand where we are.

Did you ever have a grudge? That shit can root itself in your soul and just thinking of the scenes setting up the break up and the aftermath it's in my opinion easy to see why he'd have a grudge.

Look at it from a different angle. I never got the revenge vibe, it felt like a tale of corruption. I swear I'm not trying to be edgy by quoting Nietzsche:

>He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you

When did he became corrupted? Killing that bastard was his right and he has moral objections till the very end.

Also I kinda expected Michael Shannon's character to be somewhat involved in the rape and those rednecks just being some random idiots. But nope, it's as standard as possible.

Isn't that kind of the point of most revenge stories anyway?

The whole film should have just been the fictional world. The rest was uninteresting and forgettable.

She was the only person to read the book. It was awful. It was never published.

I think the turning point is when he shaves, when he sees his weakness, his limits and goes on pursuing that abstract "justice" that the courts deliver and becomes increasingly devoid of anything but pursuing that justice, so he gazes too long into the abyss. Fortunately for him there is another man right beside him, Detective Andes, although he is a man that fought monsters for so long that at the end of his lifespan he doesn't care about becoming a "monster" anymore. From our viewpoint he absolutely has the right, by nature, but from his viewpoint his old self died that night anyway and he isn't much of a person anymore, but there are still beliefs he wants to hold on to until his hand his forced and he gets plunged into the void, where there is nothing he can grasp anymore. but maybe i'm just reaching here

Depends on the conclusion, the "lesson" or "non-lesson" I think.

effective sleep aid

She was the rapists, she destroyed Jake's idea of a happily family they could have had together

he's not real, user. I'm talking about what the movie was trying to say

Well, what the movie said is that it took the character 20 years to write this book.

but the movie wasn't trying to say that those 20 years didn't pay off. hence her reaction to reading it (which I found to be the weakest part of the movie)

I thought it was pure fucking garbage and I suspect it was written by a woman or a flamboyant faggot.

the twist ending is that he's fucking her husband while he's away, the thought first planted when she told him about her brother being interested in him

who hurt you?

so you haven't seen it and just saw that it was directed by tom ford? that's understandable, just not really worth sharing

Solid 7/10, not great but one of the watchable hollywood productions last year.

Oh, look at this little buttthurt ladyboy. Aww. So it was actually a faggot. What a shocking surprise.

>plebs bought into "revenge" bait
Oh my god.

Shame on you

Isla Fisher is now certified to be poor men's Amy Adams

>2017
>projecting this hard
The movie is a lot better than 95% of modern day hollywood "cinema"; its not written for ADHD-generation or the chinese market, just tells an interesting character-centered story that doesnt try to push any agenda. I genuinely hope you can find someone who loves you in real life, you seem to have very much suppressed anger for some reason.

he hasn't seen it. film is not for him, even mediocre stuff like this

Question stands? Who made you like this? I'm overflowing with glee that you decided this is worth fighting, insulting and trying to damage. You are one of those nocturnal animals.

The movie is pure garbage and actually even below capeshit in quality. Only some completely braindead woman or faggot like you could possibly find watching it worthwile in any way.

The rapists are "nocturnal animals"
He called her a "nocturnal animal" because of the doubt that kept her awake at night

How are people too dumb to understand stuff like this?

Cutting deeper and deeper into your own flesh huh, get help mate

RE
VE
NGE

RE
VE
NGE

RE
VE
NGE

RE
VE
NGE

RE
VE
NGE

Oh I love these inspiring poetic metaphors unique to fags and women. Such depth of character! Keep them coming, fagboy.

not him, but I happen to agree that it's not particularly worthwhile. but your criticism amounts to "it's shit and gay" which is reflective more of your own intellect than anything else

He was talented, but his talent was limited to writing allegorical stories about himself. Before he actually experienced something emotional in his life, his material wasnt captivating.

>All I don't understand is why he sent her the novel in the first place. Most likely he did think he was talented and wanted to show her that, but then he doesn't turn up at the end.

Why do you comment on a film if you completely lack the ability to analyse even the most obvious metaphors

The opening scene made me want to vomit

This and they both said that he's weak and took away everything he's loved. It's pretty clear that she's the rapist the story.

It's not like I'll get you riled up by calling you an asshole, I'm pretty sure you say that proudly about yourself. :)

Did Jake evolve from a nightcrawler into a nocturnal animal?

Ironically its women who dislike this movie. And braindead tards like you ofc, who cant watch anything that doesnt have jump cuts every nanosec

Those are conclusions, you illiterate retard. Criticism would be how I arrived at them.

>Criticism would be how I arrived at them.
a process you don't care to share for some reason, despite your insistence in posting in this thread repeatedly

The badly made and horribly cliche "chase" scene happened twenty fucking minutes in you god damn retard. It was stupidly cut back and forth to amy adams and her ugly ass face making exasperated noises like it was turning her on. This movie is trite garbage for idiots who have no experience with this kind of story.

I was pretty disappointed after how strong of a debut A Single Man was. I thought Ford might be a new significant force in American cinema but after this film I really doubt it. Technically there weren't any glaring problems with this film but it lacked the empathy and sensitivity that made A Single Man so great. It's not a bad film or anything but I just expected more.

There's no way for a dumb faggot like you to get me riled up. But it's funnier when you try. So try.

>i-it's actually us faggots and women that dislike it!!!

Good one.

Why did you reply to me you fucking retard?

No one asked, you stupid fuck. You don't even know the words you're using and you're too fucking stupid to read. Did you even finish grade school?

funny thing is it actually makes fun of women in a simplistic way that only a rejected man could find at all stimulating. it actually makes me think tom ford isn't gay at all and is actually resentful towards women. either way, the type of person who'd get something out of this is the opposite of what you've said

Anyone with a brain should dislike this crap. It's a cash in on modern trends and nothing more while pretending to have artistic integrity to fool the uninformed and inexperienced.

>dead mom and daughter on similar couch

I laughed so fucking hard at the absurdity of this visual metaphor.

>being a nigger retard

Gas yourself fucking mong

no one asked for any of your contributions to the thread. it's a board for film discussion, it makes sense to discuss if you're going to post an opinion
>babby's first insult
(You)

care to share some more detailed thoughts on the movie? ideally without memes or buzzwords

How is it that despair and unhappiness so utterly soaks a person in vitriol :)

>It's a cash in on modern trends
like what?

>pretending to have artistic integrity
how does it go about this?

>fool the uninformed and inexperienced
what do they get out of this that the informed and experienced don't?

>I laughed so fucking hard at the absurdity of this visual metaphor.
is that grounds to call the whole movie crap? what is it a metaphor for? why is it the first bad example that comes to mind and not the hamfisted revenge poster? or was that not on the wikipedia summary?

The ending fucking sucked ass. Other than that it was bretty kino desu family.

I did discuss the film. And no, I don't care to share it with you, you uneducated fucking moron. You didn't answer my question. Why should I answer yours?

Oh so utterly and rapaciously soaked indeed, the soul can't be aflutter amirite? Ahaha. You're back in the game, little fagboy. Keep this up.

I would also like to know if you think of yourself as ugly or attractive? I can't even tell you where this mood is coming from but god do I enjoy this.

you sound strangely defensive

The laws created by men aren't divine, they're not inherent righteous.

He had every right to kill the person that raped and killed his innocent family. He put a stop on they doing the same to other people.

Sound? Are you reading the posts out loud to yourself or is someone else doing it for you?

>doesn't have an inner voice
>wants to discuss kino

pleb

woah...

Now this is art

Agreed, but I felt like his resolve had a quality of being cornered to do it.

do you actually think sound can only refer to what is heard? looks like that grade school education didn't turn out too well

Please come back troll, I have another 40 minutes to spare and this is the most enjoyment I got from this board in a while. Won't you bark some more?

what? Im not even that user and I think you are retarded for writing this. No, sound doesnt refer to anything else than sound. Call things by their proper name, dumdum. You have falsely based anons intentions by your emotional imbalance.

cuck

en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/sound
>4. An idea or impression conveyed by words.

come on, where is the passion you showed earlier? you're not giving anything to work with here, everyone knows that people calling others unironically cuck are the REAL closet cuck fetishists, right? You try so hard to control :)

whatever you say reddit faggot

ah, you bore, sad

Wow your dumb

She murdered the child and thus the herself that he imagined.

When Aaron's character checked his toilet paper people in the theater rustled