Underperformed at BO

>underperformed at BO
>no one talks about it anymore
>0 oscars

Why'd it flop so hard?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TdGuZicUPts
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Moana was better than Zootopia by a mile. I don't know why people love the talking animals meme so much.

>movies are too white, People of Diversity can't identify with all the white protagonists

>but white people will 100% identify with all of our non-white characters

I liked both quite a bit, but you are wrong

One is a buddy cop movie with Shakira. Moana is about polynessian mythos and the will of exploration. You tell me.

I honestly think it was too ethnic.

it was filled with sjw propaganda, moana was a mary sue, maui was villain that didn't do much other than complaining, 2/3 of the movie was filled with music clips because need more shekels.

>only $580 million

Jesus that's rough. I bet Disney had high hopes for it too.

Only the crab song was forced.

it was so rushed. It was basically like cramming tlotr into under 2hours

What a whore.

I thought it was ok, but the larger issue here is that people who actually pay for movie tickets don't give a shit about brown characters. Look at Princess and the Frog

>making a Disney movie about a brown girl
ISHYGDDT

This. The only reason zootopia won is because it's "diverse".

One is enjoyable, the other is generic disney princess movie, now in Hawai.

it's literally Somalian Frozen.

It wasn't hard to identify with Moana at all, the problem is nobody really knows about Polynesian mythology except the Polynesians.

If you want a truly offensive PoC film, you make it about the colored man's struggle against racism or prejudice by white folk. It might not sell well, but I can't see anyone but the explicit racists here complaining about a princess movie set in Ethiopia.

I enjoyed Zootopia and glad it won, but man, I did enjoy Moana too.

Moana kind of fell apart in the middle of the story, and I didn't like how they just brushed off the fact that Maui stole the heart. Maui needed a stronger arc. And I think Zootopia's story ties really well in the end. But I really did like Moana though. All the songs were literally good.

When you say it like that, their core premises do sound like Moana is better. But Zootopia had better execution. I love the first part of Moana and the twist in the end, but the middle part was actually really boring and Maui needed a stronger arc. A+ songs, though. They're total earworm.

Which is ironic because Shiny is one of the best songs in the movie.

Moana had some epic shit.

OOWEY OOWEEY! OOMAH TOMALI-AY. UN PAKKA WAKKA, WE KNOW THE WAY!

Because it 100% relied on the concept of being a Disney Musical, to the point where every fucking thing got a song, regardless if it needed one, most notably the revelation at the end where they should have just shut the fuck up, and allowed the music and visuals to do the talking.

Like you know, in Disney Movies where the creators had a clue about what they were doing.
youtube.com/watch?v=TdGuZicUPts

A lot of Disney movies are based on stories and mythologies that aren't that known and still were really popular movies.

I legit found the song kind of odd and out of place at first, but Maui's You're Welcome and Shiny were the two songs I instantly hummed after the movie.

I actually think all songs were appropriate, they did well in those places that needed to be dramatized. The song at the end wasn't really a "song", it was only like 1-2 verses so which I was OK with since it fit well with the situation.

I mean it's more like a cultural thing, the West has this view of Polynesian culture that made thinking they have something more than tiki torches kind of a hard pill to swallow.

People know about Germans or the French or Mermaids, that stuff is instantly palatable, even the stuff in Mulan has entered our collective cultural memory. Polynesian stuff however is kind of alien, it would be like making a movie about Princess Kaguya.

This. I'm fine with it as well.

>Somalian

You got it wrong bro. Moana is clearly Ethiopian.

Why does shakira trigger you? She's barely relevant to the movie

Horribly marketed. I didn't even hear about this movie until people on Sup Forums started talking about how it flopped.

"Let me spell out what everyone in the audience who isn't comatose already realized" does not an appropriate use of lyrics make.

It was as if Luke Skywalker started monologizing about how he's both figuratively and physically been fighting the loss of his father to the Empire after Vader revealed his true identity.
It was as if at the end of the Tears in the Rain monologue, Roy continued to add a line or two about how "the previous speech was a reflection on the human condition by the way, and isn't a replicant only problem. And gee willikers how unfair and tragic it all is! Do you get it yet Deckard? I could read you some poems some kid wrote in High School, if that's more your speed!"

Normie bait. Obviously.

>Moana was a Mary Sue
She gets btfo'd almost every time she does anything, and Maui tries to ditche her multiple times because he doesn't want her around. Do you even know what Mary Sue is?

It's a movie meant for children user, c'mon.

To be fair, THE OCEAN is a good friend.

story was kinda boring

>complaining about normie bait in a fucking Disney movie
What did you expect?

If Children understood what was happening in Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back or more appropriately in Atlantis, they're going to understand that the magma monster has the same thing that the earth godess has, because it's quite literally pic related.

Stop acting like children are retarded. Sure, some are, but they'll stay that way if you keep spelling every single thing out to them instead of letting them try and think for themselves.

She has one friend and an animal sidekick != Mary Sue

They started marketing it and releasing teaser/trailers months before release. If I remember right, Zootopia had a teaser video a year before its release.

But to be fair, Disney doesn't really market their upcoming movies way too much (Dreamworks and Illumination do, complete with McD meals and all that). Zootopia's marketing was almost nonexistent, and from the panels they released (with Google and such) it always sounds like it's a tech demo ("Here's a movie we just made, notice the fur and texture of the plants"). It wasn't until word of mouth made it popular and the Asian markets liked it so much, that they started kind of marketing it, and even then they didn't really go full-out Frozen.

People in Sup Forums actually don't know what a mary sue is. I've run into this problem countless times.

It's ok, I agree with you. Still, Moana was something a five year old could enjoy. Not quite the same as Atlantis or TESB.

Mary sue, meme, cuck, literally, etc etc.

I get what you're saying but the songs were meant to dramatize the narrative, literally all songs were like that, what did you expect really? that she starts singing about the abstract divide between the nurturing side of nature and it's destructiveness?
Bottom line is the songs had a clear point, and given the fact that this movie had a very wide target audience the songs had to be simple enough for children to understand.

Why did they fuck up Maui's model so much? It's way too stocky. Every time he started jumping around it broke my immersion. I mean, his legs can barely bend.
He just looked so jarring when placed besides Moanna.

>Still, Moana was something a five year old could enjoy
This is actually a good point. There's a reason why there's Disney Jr. and regular Disney channel. Not that it's a bad thing, but Moana is one of those Disney movies that really target young kids. Atlantis and Treasure Planet are not.

To be honest, Kubo, Moana and Zootopia were great animation movies. I sense Kubo deserved more love, though.

Zootopia pushed marxist agenda

the crab should have been the main villain

the script just sucked and lacked focus, also maui looked retarded, guy's supposed to be shapeshifting trickster not captain america
OLOO OLOO VAH KAR

>pandering to a small minority
>being successful

Choose wisely.

>what did you expect really? that she starts singing about the abstract divide between the nurturing side of nature and it's destructiveness?
As I said previously, what I expected, was for them to not sing, because there really was nothing to sing about there.
Her singing about the abstract divide would fall squarely into the category of what I wrote with Luke. There is no need to spell it out. It's all there in the setup, music and visuals.

What bothers me is, as I stated at the start, that everything got a song, regardless if it needed one or not.
If you look at great Disney Musicals like say "Beauty and the Beast", if there is a song, it's there to establish something about the characters. It's the story telling equivalent of a montage basically. You can just listen to "Be Our Guest" and you fully understand the character of the objects and why they're like that. That's why the song is there.
There is no song where there is nothing to establish beyond what the visuals and musical tone can say, because there needs not be one.

"Less is more." as the cliche goes.

What? Quite the contrary. I was pretty surprised about that ending. You should see the movies before parroting nonsense.

>implying the academy cares about non-Disney movies
I wonder how a 2D movie with a black protagonist would fare.

You are right user. But to be fair, it was not a plot suited to be a musical in the first place.

Allow me to play devil's advocate.

Zootopia was Marxist propaganda because the predators were clear stand-ins for persecuted minorities such as Muslims or Blacks. They're regarded as aggressive and overrepresented in certain lines of work, and explicitly mentioned as being 10% of the population, which will resonate with kids when they hear about [Insert minority here] is only 10% or less of the national population even as people call them threats.

The movie pushes the idea that the world is a better place when cultures mingle and live together.

it was better than zootopia, but being better than shit doesn't make it great

I only didn't know one movie (the clown one?) from the nominated ones. I actually liked all the nominees and wouldn't mind any of them to win. But yeah, Kubo deserved more recognition.

It had good animation and voice acting but the story wasn't really on par with previous Laika entries. The title was probably the biggest issue, it was too damn long for a kids movie and didn't really explain what you were in for.

Only 580 million dollars..
why haven't disney filed for bankruptcy?

>it was not a plot suited to be a musical in the first place.
I never realized this but you are actually right. I mean, I fucking love all the songs from Moana, but it would have been great if it was like Treasure Planet or Atlantis.

>The movie pushes the idea that the world is a better place when cultures mingle and live together.

Ok. And how is that Marxist? Do you know what marxism is? Are you american?

Welcome to Sup Forums.

Their other movies are making money. Zootopia reached 1b+, user.

And it was dark as fuck, I might add.

>The movie pushes the idea that the world is a better place when cultures mingle and live together.

But the idea the movie actually pushes is that specifically makes things harder, but short of genocide, there is no way to disentangle the people of the world, so going forward and making things work requires dedication and dealing with uncomfortable realities.

That's not marxism, that's multiculturalism. But yes, Zootopia was an SJW propaganda movie.

Still would fugg dat bunny tho.

moana was hot but they could have made her hotter, they were trying to supress her hotness

the story was completely irrelevant and forgettable

He's a demigod. You want a demigod to look like a normal islander?

But that's literally what most of the song's are about in Moana. The first song she sings is about her and what the role she's supposed play in her little island society. You're Welcome tells us more about Maui that we knew about. Shiny literally tells you who and what the crab is like since you knew pretty much nothing about him. Moana's resolution song alone on the boat was a great way to dramatize and show the audience her transformation as a character.

And the reason for that is that EVERYONE loves animals.

Not everyone is interested in the plight of a Polynesian "princess".

That's good to hear, maybe that'll keep them afloat for a couple of months.

I'll be praying for them.

They kind of dumped it so they could put all their marketing weight behind Rogue One. It didn't help that How Far I'll Go didn't become the next Let It Go like they clearly hoped.

>praying for them
I can almost hear The Mouse laughing at you

Moana's songs were pretty good.
And Dwayyn was a great fit for Maui.

I still think the story was a tad rushed.
The thing was almost in it's entirety a backstory to the current events.
They finish telling you the backstory, you have the crab villain, the final boss and it's over.

She was a definite cutie patootie.
It's a shame that polynesians IRL are buttugly.
Would definitely shag a brown cutie like Moana.

Disney really nailed the "basic teen girl" aspect of her personality.

Brown cannibalfu >>> Furfag Town: Diversity Bogaloo

And thank fuck for that. Let It Go has become really annoying, where as How Far I'll Go remains to be a nice earworm.

>Pic related is real life Moana

She's mixed though, has some chink, irish and portugese blood

Zootopia won because it explicitly denies genetics.

Oscars are very predictable. Propaganda wins, not quality.

It looked like bland shit, so I skipped it.

The music, the characters, the plot, the art direction, the voice cast etc. etc. all looked extremely boring in the promotional material. An obligatory, paint-by-numbers Disney Princess musical.

The islander theme is cool on paper I guess, but not interesting enough to convince me to buy a ticket to see it.

I assume, based on your post, that the majority of every-man schlubs felt the exact same way I do. It would be fair to guess that Moana's problems stem from a marketing misstep.

Where as Zootopia, while the final product ended up being just okay, looked fun and fresh, with good (albiet furfag magnet) character designs and a really good voice cast, and had some really memorable trailers.

>Second part
The conversation was mainly about her "singing" how the magma monster is the earth goddess during the revelation scene, not how no songs are good or have a reason to be.
Also Shiny is all fine and dandy. It's nice that we learned so much about a character who literally never shows up again after that song.

And what's the problem with that? The crab plays a very specific, archetypal role in the narrative. Seriously you're just nitpicking now.

Because Lin Manuel Miranda is an overrated hack and this lame ass movie's release date was sandwiched right between Eddie Redmayne and Eddie Redmayne with bangs

tamatoa
>beady eyes
>crooked teeth
>ugly mug
>bong accent
bravo americans

>people use Oscars of all things as measurements of quality

How?

It's anything but bland user. Visuals and characters are pretty good.

Is Moana the start of a new line of chunkier disney princesses?

That's muscle nigger.

I'm not speaking about the quality of the film itself, I'm talking about the impression I got solely from the marketing material. (the TV ads, trailers, etc.)

I don't know, but she was the most likeable "princess" of this wave of Disney movies.

In that I agree. I didn't go to see it myself because of that.

The songs, visuals, and characters aren't actually bland. The plot, maybe a bit. And this is coming from someone who also enjoyed Zootopia. Moana is not bad, user.

I hope so. I like her design.

The next movie is Gigantic btw.

Thins I liked:
>the music was really good most of the time, the crab-song was hit-or-miss but the rest was pretty fun
>animations were beautiful and detailed at all the right places, this isn't really as high praise as it sounds considering making animated movies look good isn't terribly difficult anymore
>Maui was great comedic relief even though his arc was a little simple
>a lot of the jokes and comedic parts were actually funny, the rooster comes to mind

Things I didn't like:
>it felt like Frozen if Elsa didn't have a sister and was brown
>the ocean's powers were all over the place, varying from comically underpowered to "oh let me just carry you to the island from here"
>seriously how the fuck does it make any sense that a major obstacle this girl must overcome is the weather when she is literally chosen by the god damn water?
>it felt too laid out like a video game: early game island > departure > recruit friend(s) > defeat mid-boss (the crab) > departure again > bond with friend > defeat final villain through poorly defined powers > GG

I didn't say that it was bad, see I haven't seen the movie, I was just giving my two sense as an outsider as to why I had little interest in going out to watch it.

That being said, I have heard several of the songs from the soundtrack (my sister is a big musical theater buff) and was thoroughly unimpressed. It's worth noting that I also found the musical style of Hamilton to be obnoxious though, so I'm probably a bit biased admittedly.

It's the opposite for me. I do admit that when I first saw promo images, I didn't like how clay-like/shiny they looked. But when I saw the first trailer and the look of the beach and the ocean (I fucking love tropical settings), it made me instantly interested.

Are you all joking? How is half a million a disaster?

Those songs depend greatly from the context.

Fair enough.

Yes. We are joking. Obviously.

I think the ocean is greatly misunderstood since it is presented like it's a standalone "character". What most people fail to realize is that the ocean is a symbolic representation of Moana's character. I say that because
1. It didn't help Moana ALL the time
2. When Maui asks why the ocean can't just return the heart itself Moana is speechless
Moreover, in How Far I'll Go she says that the ocean is "calling her" but in her resolution song she realizes that "the call isn't out there at all, it's inside me".
Moana is not really about the polynesian mythology, they just used that as "coating" to a very archetypal, generic story. Most of it is symbolic.

itll be better remembered than frog princess.

but will be the least remembered of the new disney movies. for now.

trust, itll be the iron giant of this board in about 5 years time. jesus, will this board still be going?

Don't worry, I don't think it's a disaster as well. As long as it's not John Carter levels of BO, it's okay.