Do you have to be tall to be a goalkeeper?

Do you have to be tall to be a goalkeeper?

yeah

Pretty much

i'd say 6 feet minimum to be elite

>Pre beard tattoed Messi

And people think he had already peaked in 2014.

He looked cool here. He's just contrived now
>colouring half of your leg black

I’m sure there are exception but as a rule elite goalkeepers are tall, have long arms and a big frame.

if you're less than 1.85m you need elite reflexes like Casillas and Lloris

Sad!

>Casillas

Are you disputing whether Iker was elite, or whether he had elite reflexes?

Either way,
>tf
>tp

he was the best goalkeeper in the world from 2001 to 2011 (alongside Buffon and Kahn)

then Mourinho came to Real and mentally destroyed him

>giving a man who's clearly dead inside an award
FIFA sure know how to torment a man.

And then came Spain-Netherlands 2014 and that was the end of Casillas.

wait, I meant 2002 to 2012

look at him now
he is a broken man

It's strange, but he's one of the few football multi-millionaires fallen from grace I feel a bit sorry for.

didn't the Mexicans have a midget play goalkeeper once? and he was half decent?

or was it a Colombian?

he's just broken because the club he played at in his prime and loved literally just shuffled him outta there and shat on him hard.

>the best goalkeeper in the world from 2001 to 2011
>only 3 ligas won during those years
>plenty of goals conceeded
iker casillas was just a good keeper like many others, don't fall for the revisionist propaganda

>just started watching last year

>a goalkeeper was single-handedly going to prevent Barca dominance in the mid 00s
put your name back on, Alfonso

the revisionism is to say he wasn't that good

>hahaha look at that manl-

*teleports behind you*

To be honest, an aging and increasingly inconsistent goalkeeper who desperately crawls on the ground in front of Le Cut Inside Man on the stage of a world cup doesn't really fit the image of Real Madrid.

You mean Campos? He was like 5ft 6ish I think.

it's not an absolute necessity, there will be certain exceptions...but yes. It's the equivalent of having a short CB. You CAN if you really want. But why would you want to?

Iker Casillas fell down to be one of the worst goalkeepers in Europe after he was
EXPOSED by Messi, so bad that he was exiled from Madrid and had to leave Spain

Iker Casillas fell down to be one of the worst goalkeepers in Europe after he was
EXPOSED by Messi,
so bad that he was exiled from Madrid and had to leave Spain.

JUST

>2001 to 2011
>mid 00s
lmao I bet you can't even tell who won la liga in 2001 (nor most of those years) without google

no, revisionism is saying he was the best in the world. What made him the best in the world? winning 3 ligas in 10 years with the most expensive and refballed club in spain?

like I said: he was good like many other keepers

EXPOSED by Messi, so bad that he was exiled from Madrid and had to leave Spain.

Why don't clubs hire really tall, super fat guys so they cover more of the goal mouth?

was he any good? Campos I mean

no one is fat enough to cover most of the goal
not even americans

>Check outs Campos height
>1.68m (5ft 6in)

Holy fucking shit. This must be the shortest yet decent GK ever.

Guys you're legit making me sad. This is coming from a life long barca fan, but I still think Casillas is/was legendary. I haven't followed his games with Porto but goddamn is that is embarrassing.

Yeah, he was surprisingly decent and consistent, but he only played in Mexico and MLS I believe. I could be wrong. He would never make it in Europe though, I think most teams would not even consider him based on his height.

I forgot about his crawling

Relatively, but for soccer "tall" doesn't mean much.

goalkeeper are relatively tall compared any others sports besides baskeball

>not even americans

Not yet my friend

jesus christ, ignore the typos please

What are you talking about. Generally you need to be over 6'2 to be a good keeper

Height is one crucial aspect. So are reflexes and intelligence. In high school we played against a team that had like a 6'8" goalie but he legit looked like he had down syndrome and his reflexes and prediction were both terrible. He was the easiest goalie I ever played against. I just shot the ball low when I could and scored twice on him, another forward (who now plays in MLS) scored twice as well. Our goalie was about 5'9" but he had great positioning and prediction. He was one of the best goalies I ever played with. Some shots did get by him that a taller version of himself would have stopped though.

:(((
seems like his goalkeeping iq got worse too

That's his natural skin color

the thing is Casillas had godlike reflexes and average positioning/goalkeeping IQ.
now that he is old and slow reflexes he is not that good.
not like Buffon who had goodlike reflexes and goodlike positioning/goalkeeping IQ and that's why he lasted so long.

Jorge Campos was 1,70 m (5 ft 7 in)

(always pose for pictures standing over a soccer ball... sneaky bastard!)

It's kind of like basketball

There are the occasional 5'10 freaks who just ball out above and beyond their physical constraints

but by and large you need to be 6'1 minimum to cut it at a high professional level, with somewhere around 6'5 being ideal size