Dunkirk’s Plot Structure Explained By Christopher Nolan

Dunkirk could provide a tremendous visual experience alongside a plot that takes a new approach to storytelling. Said Nolan:

>“The film is told from three points of view. The air (planes), the land (on the beach) and the sea (the evacuation by the navy). For the soldiers embarked in the conflict, the events took place on different temporalities. On land, some stayed one week stuck on the beach. On the water, the events lasted a maximum day; And if you were flying to Dunkirk, the British spitfires would carry an hour of fuel. To mingle these different versions of history, one had to mix the temporal strata. Hence the complicated structure; Even if the story, once again, is very simple.”

Nolan then went on to explain the vital significance of this battle, which in turn helps us form an even better understanding of exactly how tremendous in scale Dunkirk will likely be:

>“This is an essential moment in the history of the Second World War. If this evacuation had not been a success, Great Britain would have been obliged to capitulate. And the whole world would have been lost, or would have known a different fate: the Germans would undoubtedly have conquered Europe, the US would not have returned to war. It is a true point of rupture in war and in history of the world. A decisive moment. And the success of the evacuation allowed Churchill to impose the idea of a moral victory, which allowed him to galvanize his troops like civilians and to impose a spirit of resistance while the logic of this sequence should have been that of surrender. Militarily it is a defeat; On the human plane it is a colossal victory.”

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WYGcMqMd128
youtube.com/watch?v=F-eMt3SrfFU
youtube.com/watch?v=5LU4l4tw5ks
youtube.com/watch?v=zIFo7jKH8tc
youtube.com/watch?v=k5OcHE6-8NM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

if this isn't 100% memeworthy I'm shooting up the cinema

Quite possibly the lamest looking war movie I've ever seen. Looks shit.

Why?

BRAVO
R
A
V
O

The trailer was decent and the prologue was good so whats the problem?

>new approach to story telling

can't be done

Not user who wrote that but to me it just looks bland and boring.

Nolan should have picked another topic.

>one had to mix the temporal strata
what a fucking pretentious twat

This.

I understand what he's trying to do, I also can fully appreciate why it's an incredibly important moment in history. I also laud him for him trying to make this an event worth watching, but in reality... it just isn't.

A bunch of people on a fucking beach are evacuated on boats. That's it. It won't make for good cinema.

Would you rather he said something like, "I had to juggle the events that were occurring at the time"?

That sounds dishonest.

>pg 13 war flick
dropped

Holy shit, and there I was thinking Nolan couldn't sound more pretentious
This film's gonna be painful

We need a Sup Forums stream to shitpost in and get drunk in while watching this memery

>pg 13 war flick
it stars Harry Styles and Nolan wants to try and get teen grills interested in war films so of course it has to be pg 13

>Nolan should have picked another topic.

Fuck off it was pivotal in the winning of ww2.

Do you want more Saving Private Ryans? Red Tails? Complete fucking non stories like that?

I already saw the first 5 minutes of the screen test. was posted here a few months ago.

All I saw is people running on a beach, I think carrying someone on a crutch, people standing around with a ticking sound that would not stop for the entire 5 minutes.

bravo

>Do you want more Saving Private Ryans? Red Tails? Complete fucking non stories like that?
No, I want a movie that actually matters to be made like Nolan's Insomia, Memento. Why can't he go back to making stuff like this?

just because it's pivotal doesn't mean it's exciting or worth making a movie of

looks low energy

he's overestimating the importance of dunkirk

it was important, sure, but even if it lost its army it had an invincible navy the Germans could not hope to contest to make any kind of landing in the UK

true

Is kinda obvious since USA is not involved.

>one had to mix the temporal strata
Nolan is too intelligent for Sup Forums

This. Did a movie about Patriot's Day have to be made? Just because it actually happened and was shocking doesn't make it good cinema.

Jared Leto starred in that John Lennon shooting movie where all he did was stand still in the same spot on a street for over an hour of the movie. Yes the shooting of Lennon is tragic but a 90 minute movie based on that, some would say it wasn't necessary.

Say what you want about SPR but the opening few minutes are terrific

that's what worries me about Dunkirk being pg13. Ain't gonna get no memorable violence

nolan is dogshit if you like his movies you are a pleb

youtube.com/watch?v=WYGcMqMd128

>Ain't gonna get no memorable violence
yeah a shame we won't get any blood and guts like in Gibson's Hacksaw Ridge with Tom Hardy smashing into an enemy plane and crashing to the ground, coming out un-bruised as he hands Harry Styles a weapon and says "Do you shoot" as Harry Styles says "If I don't shoot, will I die"?

>Cillian Murphy
>Tom Hardy
>Kenneth Branagh
>Strong emphasis on practical effects

The only thing that has me worried is that a PG13 might not be able to show the full brutality of Dunkirk

youtube.com/watch?v=F-eMt3SrfFU

this fuckface hasn't made a decent movie in 9 years

TDK is one of the best films ever and his Harvey Dent is one of my all time favorite characters.

I'd rather see a Harvey Dent prequel than watch Dunkirk though. Not interested in this.

>exciting

>implying cornered troops getting massacred by Stukas isn't exciting

>implying Stukas getting massacred by Bane in a Sptfire isn't exciting

>Strong emphasis on practical effects
That's PR talk for "Nolan used cardboard cutouts instead of extras to fill the crowds"
I'm not meme'ing

German Navy and Airforce would have carried the momentum immediately to Britain before they could shore up any kind of defenses instead of getting cucked by Churchill and trying to gain superiority 4 months later

One cannot just mix temporal strata willy nilly. Certain strata have vastly differing properties and it takes an educated and discerning mind to properly mix them into a cohesive whole.

>TDK is one of the best films ever
o i am laffin

What's the title again?

I think it was Saving Private Twinks

Nolan is afraid of blood. His pg13 is extremely soft. The man who directed violent Insomnia is gone.

Every Harvey Dent scene is a masterpiece of cinema
youtube.com/watch?v=5LU4l4tw5ks

>His pg13 is extremely soft.

How shortsighted is this board?

People complained that TDK was far too dark and violent for a comic book movie

The air force was fine, it went on to win the BoB

The Home fleet was still many times larger than any force the Germans might assemble, with more ships that could be recalled from all round the world if shit got real

All this remains true if everybody dies at Dunkirk. It would take years for Germany to prepare an invasion of the UK and by that time, the US would most certainly be involved in the defense of the UK

You know after Deadpool did very well you'd think Hollywood would make more R Rated stuff. And when I say R Rated stuff I mean actual good movies like Logan and not quipfest comedies which is what a lot of R Rated films are nowadays.

>harry styles
Fuck all you who see this and pay for him to be a thing. Seriously. You fucks are going to make it happen. You redditors.

One Direction has a couple good songs like this
youtube.com/watch?v=zIFo7jKH8tc

What is some required essential kino to watch before that captures the context of the movie?

>the Germans could not hope to contest to make any kind of landing in the UK

Losing your ENTIRE army in a single afternoon would kinda put a dent in the morale of the British Navy and RAF servicemen methinks.

To be fair Split was PG-13 and it had a scene with James McAvoy eating the guts of a half naked girl.
I doubt it'll be bloodless.

Or impress upon them the dire urgency of defending their homeland with fervence

>His pg13 is extremely soft.
Funny

>To be fair Split was PG-13 and it had a scene with James McAvoy eating the guts of a half naked girl.
and also a pedo scene.

Amazing that wasn't R Rated

Yes. This is what MPAA calls "fantasy violence" or "CGI violence." Basically something that's not supposed to be realistic, comic booky or if the target is non human.

The Dark Knight is dark and tense maybe, but not violent lol, PG 13 was deserved

One Direction was one of my favorite groups a few years ago alongside The Doors and Nirvana, some catchy sunshine pop and the grills liked it

This is one of the lamest things I've ever read.
Any decent producer would laugh at this, but I guess it's dolan it's okay when he does it.

Is this supposed to be disturbing or something?

Then whats your excuse for the rest of the movie?

Two Face maybe comic book violence but that doesnt disregard the rest of the shit that happens in TDK

>“The prologue is told from three points of view. The CIA (plane), the land (Musketta man) and the midair (Bane). For the operators embarked in the conflict, the event took place on different temporalities. On land, the masketta men stayed one week stuck on the plain. In the midair when Bane was hugging with Dr, Pavel, the event lasted a maximum 2 minutes; And if you were flying to Langley, the aircraft would carry an hour of fuel. To mingle these different versions of the operation, one had to mix the temporal strata. Hence the complicated structure; Even if the story, once again, is very simple.”

JUST

>Great Britain would have been obliged to capitulate. And the whole world would have been lost, or would have known a different fate

>or would have known a different fate

What did Christopher 'when a kike starts moanin, my eyes start rollin' Nolan mean by this?

>nazis allow the british to retrieve their men as a gesture of good faith
>70 years later they still paint the nazis as the bad guys in this instance

kikes should be gassed

kek

Blood. MPAA is retarded. Things may be violent but they're triggered by blood also characters can only say "fuck" twice in non-sexual way.

Basically the whole institution must lose its influence because officially no movie is obliged to send their movies to MPAA but without it no theatre will screen it.

>Fuck off it was pivotal in the winning of ww2.
The biggest event in war, in fact, since the silent era.

Brits didn't start chimping out until the blitz started. Chamberlain had just been sacked for fucking up, and Churchill was partly responsible for the shitshow in Norway. Had he lost the entire army at Dunkirk, he would've had no credibility.

It also has to be remembered that until it was clear that the British had transitioned from being semi-open to peace to wanting to go full bomber Harris on ever Kraut, Hitler was offering a negotiated peace where Germany would have been willing to make some concessions in exchange for peace, rather than being completely retarded and demanding unconditional surrender.

One word: nolan.

There is actually very little blood in TDK.

The reason people complained that it was dark and violent was because of the context.

In most of the film they actually cut right before the violent action takes place, but the context remains which is just as much as a factor as blood.

Memento.

>no memorable violence
I dont get this.

I dont get why war movies have to be so gratuitously violent.

We know war is violent, very violent. Anyone who has read a history book about the topic outside the watered down high school curriculum, knows how stomach churning violent and brutal war is.

So what purpose does gratuitous violence serve other than shocking the viewer?

Post Vietnam, we dont need movies to tell us how horrible war is. We can watch the news, we can watch videos leaked online, we can watch all the ISIS beheading videos we like and hollywood will never outdo that.

So why bother.

It's just tedious, it's predictable, it's been done to death (no pun intended)

I just want directors to find other ways to tell the stories of war without throwing closeups of actors with theater blood pouring out of every orifices in my face.

>Hitler was autistic and somehow trusted that the ANGLO, despite the UK's entire European foreign policy being focused on keeping Germany contained for over half a century, would somehow be honorabru as 'fellow Aryans' for any reason other than being forced to.*

Ftfy*

t. Sup Forums

>It's been done to death (no pun intended)
>(no pun intended)

>Nolan reconditioned actual warships for the shoot,[28] including the French Navy destroyer Maillé-Brézé,[29] and reportedly spent US$5 million of the budget on a vintage aircraft so as to attach it with IMAX cameras before crashing it on-screen.[30] Two Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IAs, a Supermarine Spitfire Mk.VB, and a Hispano Buchon, masquerading as a Messerschmitt Bf 109E, were used to film the aerial combat scenes.[31] Avoiding the use of computer-generated imagery, cardboard cut-out props of soldiers and military vehicles were employed to create the illusion of a large army.[26]

BRAVO

I love how if people are too stupid for the proper use of available language they call others who do so pretentious. No, you're just a retarded simpleton. And thats why you have a shitty life and he's directing some of the biggest movies today.

Also with all the shitty capeshit and reboot/remake/prequel/sequel redundant and unoriginal bullcrap coming out nowadays, you guys should be appreciating that there's still a director making an effort to bring forth something different.

>And the success of the evacuation allowed Churchill to impose the idea of a moral victory, which allowed him to galvanize his troops like civilians and to impose a spirit of resistance while the logic of this sequence should have been that of surrender. Militarily it is a defeat; On the human plane it is a colossal victory.”

Except FDR had already secretly assured Churchill he was doing everything he could to push American involvement in WW2, so it's doubtful they would have surrendered even "if" Hitler had given the order to advance on Dunkirk

If you can find it, I recommend Weekend at Dunkirk, an underrated masterpiece of 60's French kino, with Belmondo. Be warned though, it's not a bland battle movie. Despite great production values, it's very 60's, offbeat and picaresque. To give you an idea of the tone and aesthetics, often features the bored main characters cynically bantering and philosophizing about the futility of all this on the beach on the foreground while hundreds of extras are doing the battle in the background, which is very odd but a cool concept, probably the most expensive and complex-to-shoot conversation film ever conceived. The opposite of how bland Nolan's film looks.

youtube.com/watch?v=k5OcHE6-8NM

> you guys should be appreciating that there's still a director making an effort to bring forth something different.
...like World War III?

That's retarded. Are you from london or actually american. Listen to neon indian or something.

if US didnt step in then germany wouldve taken over

NAZI
A
Z
I

Even Branagh looked low energy in the teaser.

he is redpilled

That sounds awesome, but I'm looking for something more insightful, for scholar purposes, a movie or documentary with strong historical aspects

He couldn't think of something more creative...no, he had to do a war movie. How innovative! It's such a boring topic...

ehem

>f this evacuation had not been a success, Great Britain would have been obliged to capitulate. And the whole world would have been lost

yea, pic rel xD
also: you could have gone through Yugoslavia and saved Poland at least from communism

t. polack

Whether you like him or not, he has his artistic integrity intact and he's still making movies HE wants to do himself with minimal studio intervention.
No one asked for a WWII movie about a retreat of british soldiers with an all white cast, but he did it because he had the passion/desire to make it, not because someone told him so.

I think he has the biggest artistic freedom to budget size ratio in the whole industry, he's really living his dream.
Hope he becomes aware of his flaws in the meantime and starts delivering true unadulterated kinos

>Cucks who still think they could have lasted without the UK

>Cuck who still thinks UK could have lasted without the polish soldiers

>it was pivotal in the winning of ww2
You do know that Hitler commanded not to exterminate the English right? Because he believed the English were capable of redeeming themselves, and join him in conquering the rest of Europe.
The English did nothing, really