What was the single most undeserving win of The Oscars this year?

What was the single most undeserving win of The Oscars this year?

strawpoll.me/12439805

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PkjLMWS3U4Q
youtube.com/watch?v=tciT9bmCMq8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Suicide Squad is an Oscar winning film now.

Emma Stone, go easy on me reddit.

An answer I'd never though I'd give: Documentary Short. I'm not here to argue about the politics, or the conspiracy theories or any of that shit. It won because it was on Netflix so it was the one people actually saw. Ignoring all the bullshit around it it was simply a boring, lazy, and uninspired documentary; good documentaries have narratives, a story, a sense of purpose, this was stuff happening for 35 minutes then it was over. It was just boring.

Visual effects. Kubo deserved it despite not being that great of a film, but it's not a Disney movie so it got less votes.

Cartoons aren't nominated for visual effects.

Don't know about undeserving, but I'm pretty sure Lonergan winning for original screenplay and Casey for actor was most deserved and any other outcome would be a disgrace.

why the hell you voting moonlight? lmao white bois really this mad?

Kubo literally was, though.

Jungle Book, Deepwater Horizon, Rogue One, Dr. Strange, and Kubo were the nominees.

>those two guys who voted Editing

Why?

Because the editing in Hacksaw Ridge was just to "fill the form", almost any other pick would be better.

For example, the editor Joe Walker used editing in Arrival as an actual crucial storytelling device, not just technically good editing but editing with substance.

Suicide Squad. Not even a Marvelfag but Star Trek should have gotten that

I absolutely agree that it wasn't the best of the category, but so were half the wins, and many of these were so much more egregious.

>marvelcucks

HAHAH

LIKE FUCKING CLOCKWORK

Agreed. Star Trek had not one, not two, not three, but FOUR characters in extremely heavy prosthetics while SS made half of their possible two just lazy CGI.

Yes, because this thread was made just to whine about makeup. Let's ignore the fact that if the thread was to whine about any particular movie it would most likely to be Moonlight - which as OP I can say it was neither. I just want to discuss movies without you bringing company wars into everything like a fucking Sup Forumsirgin.

It makes it funnier though that such a shitty film with such awful costume design won an oscar for it.

Hard to pick only one...
Emma Stone for best actress.
Chazelle best director.
Moonlight best picture.

I can understand every other win, which were all deserved.

>Emma Stone for best actress

Which of the other four deserved it more? Ruth Nega is the only arguable one

isabelle

I disagree but at least you didn't say Natalie, my god that accent was an abomination.

I thought the choices were all perfect. LaLa, Moonlight and Manchester were all equally incredible and I wouldn't change a thing.

Well except maybe Suicide Squad.

>the dumb monkey for the stupid Loving movie

No, Isabelle Hubbert or Meryl Streep deserved it.

>Meryl Streep
Lol she sang badly xDD

>meryl streep

Kimmel roasted Meryl so hard by getting everyone to give her an "undeserved standing ovation". Most based host since Crystal imo.

youtube.com/watch?v=PkjLMWS3U4Q

There's definitely a few I would change but Suicide Squad pisses me off the most.

Ruth wouldn't deserve it either. I like Emma Stone, but she did not give an oscar worthy performance.

Isabelle easily should have won.

>all those butthurt Marvelcucks

what would you have given it too

I don't dislike Mahershala Ali but honestly that guy was in the movie for like 10 minutes flat. Even the actor who portrayed gayboy in his teenage years was more deserving of a nom.

Pear cider and cigarettes should have won animated short, it was head and shoulders above the other nominees in terms of storytelling. But no, they voted for the Pixar one because OMG ITS SOOOOO CUUUUTE!!! or they didn't actually see all of them and just voted for the one that played before finding Dory.

Well I've only seen it and Extremis so I guess Extremis. I'm sure the other 3 are better than White Helmets though.

Lala land. I can't believe it won best picture. I turned the tv off the moment they announced it I was so angry.

>hasn't seen all the nominees
>still thinks his opinion is worth anything
wow its like you're really an academy member

It was at most 2nd best, and frankly I watch most of them each year and White Helmets was the worst documentary short nominated for the award I've ever seen by a wide margin. If it was truly only 2nd best then 2016 would have been the worst year for documentary shorts by a mile. It wasn't just not good, it was simply bad.

I will never forgive Moonlight for winning best picture. It proves the academy votes for politics and not for film.

It's a fine film, don't get me wrong, but it's dumbed down Wong Kar-wai with a lackluster third act. Meanwhile La La Land is one of the most technically well-crafted, gorgeous, and effectively well told stories I've seen in recent cinema. No film lover should be able to compare the two and not see La La Land's sheer superiority.

La La Land is the most robbed film since Saving Private Ryan lost to Shakespeare In Love

nice parroting

Almost a tie between Suicide Squad and Moonlight but I had to give it to SS. Fuck that movie.

I actually went and saw the Best Short Film (Live Action) nominees.
Sing (the winner) was cutesy, not terrible, but predictable, Timecode was shortkino and deserved to win. Cannes got it right, Oscar got it wrong (how many times have we heard that).

Suicide Squad. A runner up would be Moonlight.

The cinematography and score were great, but the script was bad and the acting was awful in most cases.

Neither Emma Stone or Mahershala Ali deserved their Oscar. Stone winning is a fucking joke. Ali, while a good actor, was barely even in the movie to warrant an Oscar.

Seems like you're a lot more familiar with documentary shorts than I. I got to see the live action and animated shorts this year but didn't get a chance to see the documentaries, next year.

I have to say I was quite surprised that Sing won best live action short. It wouldn't have been my pick, but it was probably my second favorite so I can understand why they went for it. They really got a great performance out of all those kids. Personally I would have gone with Enemies Within, now that was a really great short.

Frankly though I'm just glad that Silent Nights didn't win, man that was a real piece of crap. And it had a lot of buzz going into the oscars because it was the only one of the lot about migrants. That short was just insultingly stupid and unrealistic.

I haven't seen Moonlight, and I enjoyed lalaland but it was far from a perfect film. Stone's acting (and her character) was a fucking mess. If the film had ended right before the time skip I think I would have liked it more, I just couldn't buy the idea that her character became a big movie star because frankly I thought she kind of sucked and she had clearly shown throughout the film that she just wasn't tough enough to deal with constantly having to debase herself to get parts. Her character didn't have the same kind of growth as Gosling's.

What pissed me off more though was how disappointing the dancing was, there was practically none of it at all in the whole movie.

Compare the dancing in any of lalaland's musical numbers, to say this number
youtube.com/watch?v=tciT9bmCMq8

>that sudden surge of anti-Emma votes

STOP BULLYING MY WAIFU

or 2006, Crash is trash

I've seen all the Best Picture nominated films other than Fences, Hidden Figures, and La La Land and out of those, I'd easily say Moonlight deserves it so I don't think it's the most undeserved. Unless of course La La Land is so much better than it which I doubt.

Ali did not deserve best support actor though. Should've went to someone else.

>Meanwhile La La Land is one of the most technically well-crafted, gorgeous,
Literally anyone who isn't American sees it as the glib, cliched mess that it is. But of course Americans are fucking retarded by default so I guess it makes sense.

>Ali did not deserve best support actor though
Like who? The field was pretty weak besides Shannon, and he was never going to get it. Not saying everyone else was bad, just nothing special.

how do you know he's american, what does nationality have to do with anything? Plenty of americans considered it cliche and dishonest.

Anyone who was in their film for more than 10 minutes. Seriously, he was barely in the fucking movie to deserve an Oscar. And he wasn't so overwhelmingly good that he completely took over in those 10 minutes.

I like Ali as an actor but that wasn't the role to award him an Oscar for.

could have argued giving them costume design as well.

i mean fantastic beasts? Generic 1800s wardrobe? How does that qualify for an oscar?

That's why it's best "supporting actor" and not "lead actor", you don't have to have tons of screen time. No actor was in the movie very long since it took place in different times yet several people got nominated for it.

Easy, Hacksaw Ridge for editing. Not a bad movie, but the editing needed some work and had major flaws. For instance, when Doss kicks away the grenade and it looks like his foot was too close to the blast.

Not the greatest snub, but then again, a lot of safe movies this year. Some wins I would have considered undeserving are:
>BP: Hidden Figures
>Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer
>Documentary: 13th
>Animated Film: The Red Turtle

Saw 27/45 of the films for reference

you didn't like the OJ documentary?

I did, and it deserved the win. Personal favorite was Life, Animated for subjective reasons. But I would have flipped my shit if 13th won. Uninspired, polarizing propaganda made by a first year graphical design student.

Remember 2006 when Al Gore's powerpoint won over real documentaries like Jesus Camp and My Country, My Country? God that pissed me off.