Is this the only truly great film to win Best Picture since the 70s...

Is this the only truly great film to win Best Picture since the 70s? Everything else has been middlebrow trash like Argo and The King's Speech

It really is one of the best. Probably on par with No Country. Most BP winners are not that great in hindsight except those. Moonlight is almost there too.

Absolutely not.

Platoon
Silence of the Lambs
Return of the King
American Beauty
Gladiator
Titanic
Brave/ourguy/heart

are all absolute kino

Those movies are all moderately good. Nowhere near the best of their years though

>American Beauty
>Gladiator
>Titanic
all trash

This is middlebrow trash like Argo

Nah, plebs hate it too much for it to be considered middlebrow. Like half of its reviews on Amazon are one star

What Best Picture winner from the 70s are you talking about then?

everything Inarritu does is undeniably unique kino

>long take

besides Touch of Evil its the memiest meme camera shot in all of HollyMeme. Its just a dumb pissing contest for directors

(maybe it was cool in Russian Ark)

Plebs hate a lot of things. Pseudos or fedoras love it. Inarritu has nothing to say.

I agree that they're not all the best of their years but they're still truely great films imo

>Mainstream = trash

The craft and genius that went into those movies is incredible. Just because something appeals to people, that doesn't make it devoid of artistic merit. In fact, to be able to make something artistically beautiful but also make it widely palatable is something extra special.

Annie Hall, the Godfathers, The Deer Hunter.

It served an aesthetic function in Birdman. It was trying to look like a stage peformance

I got that
it didn't work

The Silence Of The Lambs is a masterpiece. Would love to hear your reasons to the contrary.

It really is an outstanding move, and one that gets better every time you watch it. A really fantastic satire too. It's film's Don Quixote

Still can't believe his best whiplash. Honestly didn't enjoy birdman

>truly great film
you lost me there

>Amadeus isn't a great film
>Platoon isn't a great film
>The Silence of the Lambs isn't a great film
>Schindler's List isn't a great film
>No Country for Old Men isn't a great film
Never change, Sup Forums

it's shit

This beat whiplash*

>whiplash
who?

The problem was the Whiplash wasn't good, which made it less likely to win.