Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normans_in_Ireland#
youtube.com/watch?v=kI1O7HX2TKk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

to show everyone else how it's done

it was just a shitty braveheart

kubrick is a hack who makes pretty movies, there wasn't any point

>le if you get le moonei le u will lose it cuz ur dum

No matter how rich you get, you'll never be any better than the circumstances of your birth dictate.

Showing the cunning rise and eventual fall of Barry

To support the candle producing industry

don't be a cunt to your qt wife

to be the very best like no one ever was.

Seriously, barry was an asshole. Was he a chad?

daddy issues

to make a kino

you have to go back.

Kubricks way of showing to the American people how truly niggerful Irish potatoniggers really are.

Fatherhood. But more specifically, about bastards. Both barry and Lord bullington were. Barry has a series of surrogates and is a warped surrogate to bullington

We could probably put it into clearer context if there was a Norman movie taking place under King Henry II... (Seen in 'Becket' and 'The Lion In Winter').

Redmond Barry is an "Anglo-Norman" character on the basis of ancestry, but the Black Death and the role of ship-based piracy in subsequent centuries managed to project an Irish character onto diverse populations. Geraldus Cambrensis of Wales was also tied to the de Barry family.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normans_in_Ireland#

BARRY WAS A KUCK

It was in the reign of George III that the aforesaid personages lived and quarreled; good or bad, handsome or ugly, rich or poor they are all equal now.

This is a pleb question desu

To demonstrate that it is better to be thought of as a cuckold than a fool.

Sage advice for all those who frequent this board.

Childhood is approaching the movie with ADHD spectacle

Adulthood is seeing the subtle but significant fruits of the movie

That is, a Norman movie which explored Henry II or King John's role in Ireland. A Richard II film might shine some light on the subject, although it's difficult to say what conclusion would be drawn.

>find among these people commendable diligence only on musical instruments, on which they are incomparably more skilled than any nation I have seen. Their style is not, as on the British instruments to which we are accustomed, deliberate and solem but quick and lively; nevertheless the sound is smooth and pleasant.

>It is remarkable that, with such rapid fingerwork, the musical rhythm is maintained and that, by unfailingly disciplined art, the integrity of the tune is fully preserved throughout the ornate rhythms and the profusely intricate polyphony—and with such smooth rapidity, such 'unequal equality', such 'discordant concord'. Whether the strings strike together a fourth or a fifth, [the players] nevertheless always start from B flat and return to the same, so that everything is rounded off in a pleasant general sonority. They introduce and leave rhythmic motifs so subtly, they play the tinkling sounds on the thinner strings above the sustained sound of the thicker string so freely, they take such secret delight and caress [the strings] so sensuously, that the greatest part of their art seems to lie in veiling it, as if 'That which is concealed is bettered—art revealed is art shamed'.

>Thus it happens that those things which bring private and ineffable delight to people of subtle appreciation and sharp discernment, burden rather than delight the ears of those who, in spite of looking do not see and in spite of hearing do not understand; to unwilling listeners, fastidious things appear tedious and have a confused and disordered sound.

It's a trajedy.

He's betrayed by his family and loses his sense of morality in war, becoming a greedy and callous manipulator.
He's undone by both what fledgling honor he has left and another young man whom he has inflicted the same wounds upon who righteously rises up and defeats him.

It's also a really interesting period and technical piece.

Basically, Barry is understandably failed by his family but chooses gave up his sense of honor in order to live easily, so there's your moral lesson if that's what you mean.

Fuck you, OP. Just fuck you

movie was pretty as fuck, every shot was like a painting

There was a thread similar to this a few weeks ago where some user made a really insightful post as to Barry and his father figures and how it ruined his own ability to be a father too. I wish I'd screencapped it.

Neither Barry nor Lord Bullingdon were bastards they just both lost their fathers.

It's about a lazy asshole who thinks he can just skate by in life while drinking and fucking whores and acting like an uncouth man of ill repute. He wants to be a member of polite society desperately and will do whatever he can to get there but he is awful at maintaining that position because he blows all his money on gambling, booze and women. Lord Bullingdon was right about him from the moment he met him and in all honesty Lord Bullingdon is the far more likable character

youtube.com/watch?v=kI1O7HX2TKk

to me this might be the GOAT track of all time

I love the movie but also love that it introduced this to my pleb ass

like clockwork

It attempts to be an impartial account of one of Thackeray's less rigorous satires but it's hard to gauge Kubrick's personal interest level. The wellspring for the novel was that Thackeray's own marriage to an Irish woman had failed, and on that basis some critics have suggested that Thackeray was actually depicting himself as Barry. Kubrick had wanted the rights to Vanity Fair originally yet it's hard to imagine that turning out much better commercially.

That's what I mean by bastards. Fatherless. The movie is about fatherlessness

I was raised by a single mother.

Will I understand this movie?

Did you ever want an imperfect step-father who lived through the Seven Years War?

I can't say I did.

Also, does this movie portray any of that so called Victorian era bourgeois luxurious decadence?

No, there's very little real decadence and it isn't actually a comedy of manners. The film's setting predates the Victorian era. Although it stars an American actor, it does everything it can to sidestep American history and it concludes with the Revolution occurring in France.

I can't remember much else because I've only seen it once, but the pacing feels authentic to the period.

>That's what I mean by bastards.

But that's not what bastard means.

>victorian

Fuck off in any case you ignorant hippy shit

fpbp

Satisfaction.

/thread

To tell an unconventional period piece story

You do shit, then it's done and you die.

All beautifully photographed with state of the art lenses developed for NASA.

If you're retarted you can think of it as a hero's journey. For smart people.

Has there ever been a more aesthetically pleasing film?

It's the story of a man who tried, and tried, and tried, and for a fleeting moment grasped the fullness of his desires, and finding that it was all for nothing, and he was the villain of his own youth.

REDEMPTION

fuck of you cunt it was a bout a stupid poor person who fucked up and lost his dosh

Kubrick hated all of you, That's the message.

Because fuck you, that's why.

why
she was such a qt...

because rich people are cunts.

Because he didn't want love, he was turned from the idea of love when he got rejected by his cousin. At that point he decided to gain fulfillment solely through hedonism and it brought him nothing but ruin.

chasing a status in society won't solve your ego problems if you're a selfish narcissist deep down. Of course we all are according to Stanley and his pessimistic views on human nature.

Barry Lyndon is my go-to for when I want to impress everyone in the room.

to sort out patrician and pleb

Women spotted

Greed, downfall, lack of father figures, coldness, golddiggers and Kubrick stare.

Redmond Barry aka Barry Lyndon.

No he was a pleb, peasant, golddigger and an Irishman.

How poetic and ironic.
Such are the films of Kubrick.

Friendly reminder that most of Kubrick films takes place in the same universe: Kubrickverse.

Part of the Kubrickverse
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
Eyes Wide Shut

And maybe:
Dr Strangelove.

Never trust the Irish.

If you're a selfish arsehole who wants power you'll probably get it, but it won't make you happy.

>And maybe:
>Dr Strangelove.
It's easy to reconcile; Dead Hand blew a fuse because
>russian engineering
and the US offered a very public execution of the Colonel in exchange for a thousand square miles of fucking nothing being blown up.

The brutal realities of men and boys that grow up without stable father figures and the ways it shapes them.

Colonel? Russian engineering? What are you talking about?

And as i said: Dr Strangelove takes maybe in the same universe as the rest, though unlikely.

2001: a space odyssey and the shining share a universe, i suspect that those films are connected.

Listen to some fucking interviews by Kurbick.

I assure you he did not go to that level of autism.

gentle reminder that the first few scenes of this movie were shot in the Wicklow mountains but the IRA chased Kubrick out of Ireland for protraying an Irishman in a British Army uniform and the rest of the movie was shot in Britain

best post

That is Room 237 levels of autism

holy shit, mind blown

my life has been a lie

is this what being woke feels like?

i am become enlightened

No point at all. It's just Kubrick messing around with lenses, lighting and composition.
The story is lackluster and O'Neal was miscast as Barry
inb4 a wild pack of plebs calling me names

i agree

Thank you for you sweet words, its means a lot to me ya know.

Heres another for you heart attack.

Take this!

What is that?
A scar?

I WILL KILL YOU!
Also dubs.

Never trust an Irishman

Part One:

How a commoner finds his way into becoming a man of title and property through dishonest means.

Part Two:

How Barry screws up and falls from his new title and privilege.

And Part Three?

a harsh life lesson

Fatherhood and how the absence of it can give you a hole you can never fill, leading to an eternally unsatisfied existence?

That's not what bastard means, you fucking bastard.

Character study and the absurdity of war in the medieval times which is usually romanticized in Hollywood.

It's a common story. Just give a thought and you'll notice many men like Barry you know in real life.

>medieval times

Damn, I loved too how Sir Barry of Lyndon defeated that Pomeranian fellow in a joust! Best part of the film! It would be better with guns, but still!

I was raised by a single mother but she never pinched herself to educate me, instead she actively hampered my attempts at educating myself.

I could still understand it.

>medieval times

Goddamn it user