Final Fantasy VII is THE unchallenged technological feat of Videogames

Bar none. Every single second from the opening cinematic to the moment Cloud leaps off a speeding bullet you feel like you've leapt into the future. Look at those flowers. See them? Back in the day you could almost sniff them if you didn't know no better. Every part of this epic reminded you that 1997 was the year video games could be taken seriously. Sure later entries were prettier in a few trivial details but nothing before or since has signaled a full on change in the cultural zeitgeist like Final Fantasy 7. And to think... this all began with a flower girl. Kind of beautiful.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bl9dP0CJfbQ
youtube.com/watch?v=5D5Eo5Aji1I
youtube.com/watch?v=Oy76sZ7uQeQ
youtube.com/watch?v=6Jps-lgNX2Y
youtube.com/watch?v=EV77owpNVcg
youtube.com/watch?v=XQtg3t1hYC8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Agreed OP back when I was a kid I marveled.

Still the best weapon modding system materia was great. And best video game soundtrack of all time. Remake looks like shit though, to be honest.

not even the best jRPG on the ps1 (xenogears)

not even the best final fantasy (6)

not even the best final fantasy on the ps1 (tactics/9)

7 was made because xenogears was too mature/complex to be a final fantasy game

sage

A strange story: I played SM64 for the first time at 12 years old and the 3d elements of the game took some time for my brain to adjust to the movement in the game world having come from 2d games for years beforehand. I would get lost very easily even in the first level, and some parts of the game made me feel a bit queasy. And I was not an unskilled game player at the time, it was just such a new thing.

WRONG

Nah. It was an early-middle generation game that made incremental improvements on stuff we had already seen for a couple of years beforehand on the PlayStation. Resident Evil and Tekken were already out.

Still an awesome game tho.

right

2nd half of Xenogears is rushed and no amount of rationalization will every change it.

not denying this, still better than FF7

Chrono Trigger was better

>What is: Formative Media

If there's one medium of entertainment that suits individuals with Aspergers seeking pseudo depth it's JRPGs. It's a marvel and does humanty a big favor of sticking them all in one place and keeping them contained there.

Still the best game ever made 20 years later. I hope people aren't trying to pretend FF6 is better any more.

CT is the most overhyped title on the SNES.

6 is indeed better, but 9 is as well

Do you know what this game and others of its era had?

MUSIC

no, that's secret of mana

SoM is pure shit, I don't know how anyone could like it. I stopped playing when I got the dragon

>leave Sup Forums
>check out Sup Forums
>they actually discuss videogames here
what the actual fuck is wrong with Sup Forums

This is the main reason why FF12 and later installments have been inferior. The music is just dull background music that you forget the moment it stops playing. In the ten nine games, almost every tune was memorable. Ten was kinda a mixed bag.

youtube.com/watch?v=bl9dP0CJfbQ

educate yourself

Mean to say "in the first nine games"

this is how all the boards are

discussion of entertaintment not related to the board is better

>1997
>own N64, SNES, NES
>ask for PlayStation for Christmas
>get it
>get Tekken 2 with it
>open CD case
>literally the very first time I have ever held a CD in my own hands
>use two hands to ever so gingerly remove it from the CD case
>fucking weird how a game is on this....disc thing
>place in system
>power on
>watch the awesome intro logos
>this plays
youtube.com/watch?v=5D5Eo5Aji1I

>mfw a whole new dimension of video games is opened to me.

From being a Nintendo fan who had dabbled with a friends Sega games from time to time the PlayStation was just....other. The feel of the games were completely different. More mature. More 90s. More Japanese Tech Noir. Games like Armored Core, Final Fantasy VII, Colony Wars, Tekken 2, Bushido Blade, and Metal Gear were completely different than I was used to.

You have to go back

>starts with boring piano and proceeds into elevator music
not looking good for your case here bruh

meanwhile
youtube.com/watch?v=Oy76sZ7uQeQ

FF7 isn't even a top tier ff soundtrack, 8/9 (even if 8 is a shit game) have better osts

Also how the Fuck is the song after the main theme elevator music but this isn't

video games are the lowest form of entertainment

FF VIII's OST is great, but FF VII's is quintessential PlayStation to me. The themes of the game match up more closely with the overall aura of the system itself and Japan at the time of its release. FF VIII by comparison is just a nice romance fantasy story.

Games are the highest form of entertainment because they are interactive art. Video games are a subset of games, which also includes sports.

Games which pretend to be movies or novels are trash tho. Luckily FF7 isn't one of those.

Xenogears is more of a visual novel than a game. it's just not as customizable and the move list for gears is like 2 things

>has the gall to call the xenoblade theme elevator music then posts this shit instead of something like J-E-N-O-V-A

>final fantasy game pretends not to be movie

As a fan of FF this is horseshit. 7 was the biggest jump to cinematic shit in the entire FF series

>ff7fags still trying to deny 6 is best 20 years later

>ff7 not trying to be a movie

Final Fantasy is still quite interactive and can be challenging in some places. Once you get to the world map there's a lot of options for the player.

When I say games that try to be a movie I mean newer stuff like the current Tomb Raider reboot that is pretty much on rails from start to finish.

>there's a lot of options

I disagree, for the most part in final fantasy games the open world serves as a Hub to get you from one required area to the next, sometimes opening up for side quests

Most Final fantasy games have a point in the plot where you are expected to go off and develop your characters levels, finish or start side quests, or explore the optional areas. That's enough to say that FF isn't just a movie-game.

I understand that but to say, FF7 a movie but it was trying to be one, at least a lot more than its 6 predecessors ESPECIALLY the one before it considering how the second half of FF6 works

>mediocre game taht led to the downfall of the series

Cloud is a faggot and his story is retarded.

Based Barrett is the best part.

fucked up my post meant to say I understand FF7 isn't a movie but it's trying to be one

how could it lead to the downfall of the series when tactics and 9 are the best ones?

Posting best girl.

>like the current Tomb Raider reboot that is pretty much on rails from start to finish.
it's a linear game sure but it's still a third person shooter like any other. i think the reboots are great.

should i play Harvest Moon (SNES) again

patrician taste

>7 was made because xenogears was too mature/complex to be a final fantasy game

wow

edgy opinions across the board, real nice

yes

>Xenogears started out as an early concept conceived by Tetsuya Takahashi and Kaori Tanaka for the Square game Final Fantasy VII.[34] Their superior in the company deemed it "too dark and complicated for a fantasy", but Takahashi was allowed to develop it as a separate project.

Check this shit out, homie. A decade later:

youtube.com/watch?v=6Jps-lgNX2Y

Please fuck off Sup Forums

>he's now stuck doing generic sci-fi garbage on nintenshit consoles

kill me

6 isn't even the best old school FF

5 is

this fucking meme that patrician discussion derives from off topic shit needs to stop, it only works for anime because Sup Forums is such a stuck up shit board

12s music sounded like shit from an audio quality standpoint and was overly complicated and overarranged, but it had some great moments and i liked that it did something really new.

13 was a return to the earworm stuff from the previous games but a bit loungey sometimes.

1. that's not tetsuya takahashi

2. He's credited by many to have made the best jRPG of the last two generation while Namco (another company who fucked him over) was eating shit with Zesteria and FF15 is a mediocre unfinished game (despite it being in development for 10 years)

It's okay, but orchestral music isn't what I was getting at. Playstation games had modern sounding music in them. There was techno, funk, electronica, industrial, smooth jazz, traditional japanese, and even licensed songs.

Stuff like this:

Was he right?

yes Tbh

The church scene is pretty

People forget to appreciate it from a distance for what it was 20 years ago.

The locations were absolutely beautiful. Every scene and plot point is memorable. Each character felt different and important to the party.

Get out of here with that hur hur generic story BS. There hasn't been an original tale since Homer told the Odyssey. It's all the same shit. Hero gets fucking wrecked, must come back from Hell, arrives to the goal just in time and saves the day.

FF7 had fantastic side quests that stand the test of time. It had deep plot devices with allegory that connected to our world. The depth of that game in 1997 absolutely destroys anything on a console that came before it and set the standard for everything that came after it.

Sephiroth was an interesting villain. His motivations were driven by desires that anyone could empathize with. The assassination of President Shinra and killing the Midgar Serpent almost makes him a good guy. He literally has to kill the most innocent person on the planet to validate any hate for him. Then of course there is his plan to recreate the whole world which may not exactly be a bad thing since life on Gaia is pretty terrible unless you are super rich or sleeping with someone who works at Shinra Tower. One almost wants to like Sephiroth, not unlike Magneto. There is no argument against Sephiroth except for the typically contrived 'mmmhur black cape big sword op mama angsty mommas boy' argument. It's not even an argument actually. It's verbal vomit.

Cloud's plot twist is on par with Revan in KOTOR. So many people hate Cloud because it is cool to hate Cloud. It is a meme to make fun of him. Cloud was the shit. His character was a unique mess, a clone, a missing link with fucked up memories. The scene in the mana stream where Tifa has to help him piece together a true self is one of the best storytelling experiences in gaming.

My favorite memory in this game is kicking Red XIII in the face with a soccer ball. Good stuff.

I remember back when all the """""arguments""""" people ever used against the game were "Cloud is emo" and "Sephiroth is momma's boy", and if you tried to defend the game in any way, you were a "fanboy". Good times.

>Red xii

This game literally had a character named reddit?

>RPGs are becoming more about bland 200+ hours open world journeys full of copy and paste sidequests instead of unforgettable narratives
>gameplay keeps morphing into shittier and less interesting versions

>generic story

who says this? it's fairly distinct beyond the whole 'big evil empire enables and is eventually replaced by a greater, inhuman threat' thing

kek a CONSOLE VIDEO GAME
faggot you probably never even played Half-life or Unreal when it released, my dad bought 2 voodoo 2 cards when unreal released

JRPG are more cathartic than WRPG, even if WRPG are more complex.

>JRPG are more cathartic than WRPG

someone's never slaughtered an entire town in Fallout 1

nice blog tripfag

i can appreciate your love for the game

FF6fags are the mexicans fanbase of the franchise, and should be ridiculed for their shit taste

CRAWLING IN MY SKIN
youtube.com/watch?v=XQtg3t1hYC8

I'm 12 hours into a FFVII replay right now, this may be the only video game I actually love. Everything about it is so nice and the music just enhances everything.

No I'd agree with I love going around any of the Fallout games and wrecking everything for funzies, or GTA, etc, but there's no buildup, no excitement. It becomes simulator fun, which is boring. There's no story or context attached to it other than hitting hookers with bats. Something like devil may cry has you ramming your fist down demon throats, all wrapped up in a story that's meant to make you """feel""" in the end. The end of the Fallout games were more "okay so we're done now, thanks for playing..." JRPGs get attacked for being overly melodramatic (lookin at you XIII), but if they tone that down enough then you get some strong emotional connection IN ADDITION to wrecking fools. Which is the best.

melodrama was the least of 13's problems

what board is this

CT is a JRPG for people who don't play JRPGs. Combat and character growth are extremely dumbed down, but the music and graphics are both very nice so it gets a pass.

I think I became a pedo because of this character.

>combat dumbed down

from what? final fantasy?

kek

VIII was better than VII.

And XV is better than all the others combined.

The best is VII followed by V and Tactics

8 is trash m8

>XV is better than all the others

it would be on this too if it wasn't a trinity, just a bit better than 8

>my taste is so shit I had to make an infographic about it to show it off to everyone else
t. Sephiroth

says the guy who likes 8 and 15

You're wrong.

This. So much went over my head when i was a kid, you can near enough make your characters invincible

Don't even care that its wrong board, Final Fantasy VII is the most brilliant work of art ever made in anything ever. It is a testament to the capabilities of mankind. I bought htis game second hand when I was like 8 and fell in love with it ever since. The music, the story, the characters, everything. Just the feel of entering the world map for the first time and hearing the music.

Sadly they are, despite it being completely false.

I actually had fun with 2 even if it was incredibly mediocre and practically ff1.5. ff8 was dogshit though, I don't care what excuses fgts itt come up with the card system and story were boring and uninteresting

She's 16 in the game and 18 in the movie.

>Heihachi's body

Body Dysmorphia is born

Am i the only one that loved ff8?

Is that a FFX reference?

unfortunately no

what did he mean by this

No, both VII and VIII are masterpieces.

what's up with those shoes, it looks like he's wearing high heels

I played it fairly recently again and it's pretty fun to explore and find new and crazy looking monsters that you usually dont find on a normal playthrough, FF7 also has very little recolors and many unique models never seen in other FF games, always finding something new every time I replay it

where do you think we are?

pretty accurate desu senpai

>first ever rpg
>playing through midgar
>not impressed
>dont understand whats going on
>nightmare shinra scene
>sephiroth
>this is getting interesting
>first time in world map
>mind truly fucking blown

Along with lotr nothing has left quite the impression on me