"For the Battle of Coruscant sequence I wanted to depict a grand scale space battle with capital ships...

>"For the Battle of Coruscant sequence I wanted to depict a grand scale space battle with capital ships. We have seen dogfights before, but no capital ship against capital ship battles where both sides unleash their entire arsenals to decimate the enemy fleet."

>"Some people have asked me why I chose to have the ships so close to one another rather than very far away, which would be very possible and probably more reasonable considering the technology they have access to. The truth is that I wanted to capture that iconic pirate ship battle atmosphere where two ships lined up next to each other and unloaded, and I wanted to underline the defeat of a ship by making it appear to drop toward the planet, like an airplane that's been shot down. Very dramatic visuals overall"

>"Another reason for that decision is that a space battle between ships that are very far away from each other is a very boring affair. You hear the command to fire weapons. Sometime later you may or may not see a successful hit. You fire, you wait, you fire, you wait. Maybe you would see some blip on a radar screen. Very dry and calculated, much like submarine movies, which aren't known for exciting battles. It wouldn't have conveyed the tension and energy I wanted the scene to have."

Do you agree with Lucas?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pWvoFE7W288
youtube.com/watch?v=tLlAObjR-gs
youtube.com/watch?v=ISD1hJz53L8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes. I thought that scene was great.

No, because the prequels should never have been made in the first place.

Yeah, that whole opening battle is awesome, and there's few things more gratifying that ships unloading broadsides at eachother, and making it spaceships is even cooler.

>Another reason for that decision is that a space battle between ships that are very far away from each other is a very boring affai
See, unlike Sup Forums he isn't an autist.

It was the best opening sequence in any Star Wars movie. He did a good job with this.

this shows a mass effect esqe battle with the reapers will be so successful

someone needs to make movie reeee

oh look, a retarded faggot!

Yes, This looked fantastic in the cinema.

>this entire time Lucas had secret kino instincts

If he has this sense for dramatic action, why is the fight choreography so bad (save for the Darth Maul duel) and why is Dooku's character completely meaningless?

>submarine movies, which aren't known for exciting battles
What a fucking pleb.

I think time will be kind to George, he will be held in high regard for all his Star wars movies after he dies

youtube.com/watch?v=pWvoFE7W288

One of the few real 'Star Wars' scenes of Star Wars.

Well, Dooku is much better done in the cartoons, same with Grievous.

Wow...thats actually fucking amazing.

Bet you are seeing him/the prequels getting love from the kids who grew up watching them prefer them over the originals

>Lucas had secret kino instincts
It's no secret user. People are just retarded.

>But then a phantom menace struck. George Lucas would periodically check in on the status of the games his company was making, lending creative input and advice. The developer I talked to sighs, and agitatedly says, “In one viewing of Fracture, [Lucas] said it looked really good, but he didn’t like [Mason Briggs’] name. We’re like, ‘What do you mean, George?’ He responded to the effect of, ‘It doesn’t really fit. When he jumps on stuff, he moves pretty fast. I like B.J. Dart.’

>“So everybody’s like, ‘No, he’s gotta be f---ing with us.’ He’s absolutely not. So when something like that happened – in the middle of the campaign, mind you – we have to go back through that entire naming convention again… from scratch.” From that second session, Jet Brody was born. Coincidentally. Jett is the name of Lucas’ son.

>A similar situation arose with Star Wars: The Force Unleashed’s protagonist, Starkiller. “[That name] was only supposed to be a nickname or call sign, not a proper name from the beginning,” a former LucasArts employee says. The development team hoped that Lucas would give Vader’s apprentice a Darth moniker, which at the time, was something that didn’t happen often.

>“The team threw a Hail Mary to George, saying the game would have more credibility if the apprentice had a ‘Darth’ title,” a Force Unleashed team member says. Lucas agreed that this situation made sense for Sith royalty, and offered up two Darth titles for the team to choose from. “He threw out ‘Darth Icky’ and ‘Darth Insanius.’ There was a pregnant pause in the room after that. People waiting for George to say ‘just kidding,’ but it never comes, and he just moved on to another point.”

kek please tell me this is real.

No, he had a great idea for opening of ep 3, but there are still countless fuckups in the PT that just don't make any sense. Every single scene in ep 2, for example.

>much like submarine movies, which aren't known for exciting battles
Lucas confirmed for not watching Das Boot
Lucas confirmed for not watching Hunt for Red October
Lucas confirmed for pleb tier

it is

Eh. What the PT will likely get remembered for is excellent concepts and shit execution.

And yet he wasted all that time focusing on two fighters to the exclusion of everything else happening around them. Hack.

Battle of Endor was a better fleet action by far, but aspies and prequel-loving newfags will suck Lucas's veiny penis because of all the dazzling lights and sounds of RotS's pathetic excuse for a ship battle sequence.

He's right in that realistic space combat *might* not be that exciting, but I disagree in that sub battles are boring

>excellent concepts

I don't exactly see what's so bad about this concept, unless you mean the part about dex having republic secrets on the menu in addition to greasy food and shakes

>a cloud of RKKV coming toward you and all you can do is hope none of them hit because you have no way of blocking or intercepting them
How can that be in any way boring?

>not using the awesome properties of the vaccum of space for some cool ballistic based combat
full pleb

youtube.com/watch?v=tLlAObjR-gs

something like this?

>I wanted a '50s diner on Coruscant because it would clash with everything around it and look like shit, and because I wanted to make an homage to myself because I'm a selfish autistic prick - G. Lucas

It sounds like he's trying to stimulate their creativity. He and Spielberg would riff on ideas all the time but I imagine he didn't get that with the new crew, who appeared to simply revile him in return for everything he gave them to work with.

You can see them delivering the maquette of Dexter Jettster to Lucas and the whole crew look set to laugh in his face. It's unfortunate that they took that perspective while they were working with him.

>i did it cuz i think it looks kewl and i want my pewpew and splosions
That retard and his retarded thinking fucked the science-fiction genre for decades and perhaps for more decades to come.

>submarine movies, which aren't known for exciting battles
ARGH FUCK THIS FAGGOT HE HAS NO IDEA HOW TO CREATE TENSION

>I did the same thing as last time but much, much worse

Wow bravo Lucas. Keep your fucking rhymes and poetry to yourself.

Lucas is right in the sense that what actually makes Submarine fights interesting is the character drama, not the action itself. Its the emotional attachments we have to the crew, the close-ups of their faces dripping with anxious sweat, hands shaking with nerves as the torpedo barely misses by the hair on their balls. Its the utter silence on the bridge as they try to avoid being detected by enemy radar.

If all the submarine battles im those famous movies had been nothing but exterior shots of the subs firing torpedos and lazily drifting through the water, they would have all been boring as fuck to watch.

Obviously Lucas didn't go for the far superior, more dramatic and tension filled submarine approach because the prequels had no characters, let alone emotional attachments.

Imagine a space battle the two capital ships try to use space debris or planets or moones or whatever as cover, where they deactivate certain systems and don't move to be harder to detect. Where we see the crew members doing their jobs and everybody has to perform perfectly or they all could die. Panic and excitement and tension. So many awesome ideas and concepts that could make for some really tense space battles and Lucas went the retarded close-up lazor pew pew route. That guy has no business working on anything that requires creativity.

Why even bother having manned ships? Just attach an engine to a big gun or even a super powerful bomb. Then you don't have to lose thousands of men everytime one of your attack ship gets shot down. A huge, manned ship only makes sense if you can protect it, like keeping it out of direct combat. Flying it into the middle of a battle is just careless. The idea behind projectile weapons is that they work from far away. Especially in space. Make use of that.

It was a solid scene. Not at all realistic, but Star Wars is fantasy not sci-fi.

Pic related did a better job at depicting a tense battle between capital ships that still involved a lot of flashy shooting.

>saying the game would have more credibility if the apprentice had a ‘Darth’ title
Why would an apprentice have a Darth title?

>has the chance to get crazy creative with visuals and the setting of space and using the pretty much unrestricted technology of the SW universe
>"muh pirate ship battles"

kys

That's all well and good, but it's also neither here nor there. The context of his quote is that he wanted to show a (brief) scene of two capital ships duking it out before cutting away to what the actual focus of the movie was (Anakin and Obi-Wan's mission).

The two capital ships are not the focus of the movie, the scenes of them fighting were supposed to be nothing more than a few seconds of spectacle. In that situation there is no time to inject the tension that would make a slow methodical combat look entertaining.

The reason we didn't get such a scene, aside from Lucas probably not even being able to think further than pewpew, is because it hasn't been properly set up. He wanted Ep3 to start with a big space battle and what we got is a torrent of ugly CGI vomit without any emotional investment on the screen. Had he bothered to establish a character that works on such a ship in the previous movie or movies, we could have had a scene where we follow that character during that battle, where we see what they do and what happens aboard the ship and where there would be tension because we know that character and would probably hope that they make it.
Lucas didn't think ahead, as usual, so we ended up with a space battle that's only memorable because of some long beginning shot.

>Darth Icky
Every time

You can't really riff with Lucas about this stuff though, he is the gatekeeper of all things Star Wars, everything has to be approved by him, including Darth titles

The second part of your post is just projecting

The battles in the Expanse have a bit of that naval/submarine battle feeling

Unironically this

Revenge of the Sith is the darkest of the prequels. It's a lot better, and darker than the other two films.

It was fucking horrible.

2 minutes of good scenes then our heroes must fight off silly toy droids on their ships.

best space opera ever did it too so i think george was in the right here

>anime
>best anything

wew

Realistically, engagement ranges would be on the order of tens/hundreds of kilometers, not more, and they'd be mostly linear.
Weapons are largely ineffective farther away, but since range is a tremendous advantage, no one will survive a prolonged closer encounter. Unless your intercept is retrograde, one side will die before anyone can maneuver appreciably closer or farther. The battle space is also mostly linear (two sides facing off across a no-one's-land). A battle "line" is really a 2D plane in space, but aside from this, it's not much different. 2D-thinking (or even 1D thinking) is quite sufficient. While ostensibly space is 3D, when you're flying a real ship, you have delta-v constraints. The space of engagement is large relative to that, and your acceleration is slow to boot (given you have a low-thrust, high-ISP engine). Additionally, since you're probably rendezvousing from a different orbit, you'll have a single dominant direction of approach. You spread out when you attack, sure, but if you're at the distance where you can completely outflank your opponent, you're at a distance where both sides have long since torn gaping holes through each other with kinetic slugs.
As a direct result of the above, the only purpose for thrusting at all is to dodge k-slugs. You can't do it very well, though, since unpredictably dodging requires rotation--but rotation is slow, and costs lots of delta-v. Moreover, to move laterally probably means turning, which means exposing your flank to the enemy. That makes you a bigger target.

hes a funnier character than we've ever had

Please tell me that was a copy paste and not your autism oozing

if the travel time for their kinetic weapon is 200 seconds, you only have to change direction by a few degrees every 200 seconds and guarantee you will never be hit

guided missile projectiles would easily be intercepted by point defence missiles ala modern naval combat

therefore you would have to close to within a few kilometers to engage with rkv

What medium holds the title for the best anime, then?

Checkmate, atheists.

The problem wasn't the idea of the battle, the problem was shit like

>Anakin: wtf I love clones now! I'm a good guy!
>Obi-Wun: no they're expendable fucking shits, R2 zap those eye robot things

And it really only existed as a brief opening sequence, most of the "introduction" takes place inside one ship.

Broken clock, etc. Lucas has the occasional good idea, he just needs people around to filter out the crap and turn it into something presentable.

In reality, you wouldn't fire a single k-slug, but a barrage of tiny projectiles, each probably smaller than 5mm. Imagine super high velocity buckshot. The spread would make dodging pretty much impossible, even if your engines could accelerate you fast enough because you still wouldn't be able to scan or even calculate the trajectory of those tiny projectiles.

>but a barrage of tiny projectiles, each probably smaller than 5mm. Imagine super high velocity buckshot. The spread would make dodging pretty much impossible,

WRONG inverse square law says that idea is ludicrous.
over hundreds of kilometres of distance the amount of 5mm projectiles you would need to fire would outmass your ship

not only that, but it would be very easy to armour against 5mm projectiles, even travelling at very high relative speeds; and depending on the design of the target a 5mm hole wouldn't actually do anything relevant anyay

>you cant detect 5mm projectile
you very easily can with radar
and you dont even need to, just keep changing direction every x seconds. x being projectile travel time between you and your opponent

The computer could easily calculate a targeting solution. You wouldn't need to cover your entire field of view in buckshot. You know how the enemy ship moves and at what speed. You know how fast they can change course or accelerate or decelerate. A couple hundred projectiles over an area of a thousand square kilometers is not too difficult.

if they change 1 degree vs 2 degrees heading the amount of space you need to cover is dozens of square kilometers atleast, you are not covering that much area with 'space buckshot'. Like I said you would need to fire millions to billions of projectiles

>George is shit at writing characters people care about
We all knew that famalam, can't wait for you to discover that water is wet and that your mother is a whore

The Expanse battles are comfy, CQB should be shown to anyone who wants to write combat in space

>anime
Opinion discarded

The answer is using a missile bus with aCasaba Howitzer warhead, those things are comfy as fuck. Buckshot style systems would be useful in orbital situations to "herd" a ship towards where you want it to go

>kinetic weapons
Try dodging white hot holy wrath travelling at light speed, savages

change directions every x light seconds and you are now immune

stupid 'nerds' who think space battles will happen at thousands of kilometers are fucking retards and should be shot

Don't mention kinetic weapons to me unless they move at relativistic speeds.

>Do you agree with Lucas?
100%

>what are missiles
>what are lasers
>what are particle beams

Good luck dodging those.

Star Wars 3 wasn't about the men on a capital ship so putting a lot of focus on them a'la Das Boot wouldn't have made any sense what so ever.

the only thing you cant dodge are missiles and those are super easy to intercept unless you do something fancy like blind their radar with a nuclear explosion or have really good EW

but radar is getting harder to jam overtime not easier, so idk

>guided missile projectiles would easily be intercepted by point defence missiles ala modern naval combat
Has there ever been a group of missiles swatted out of the sky by something like a CIWS?

there haven't been many modern naval combats.
everytime decoys like chaff and flares were used, it fooled the missile

there have only been a few missile to missile interceptions in combat, a tail chase engagement of an iraqi silkworm by a RN destroyer. And recently an over the horizon intercept using ir terminal seeker by a US destroyer intercepting missiles fired by rebels

but there has been hundreds of test interceptions and such

t. Lucas Shill

much like submarine movies, which aren't known for exciting battles
youtube.com/watch?v=ISD1hJz53L8

>therefore you would have to close to within a few kilometers to engage with rkv
Which is why Casaba howitzer armed missiles make sense. Use the missiles maneuverability to close to just outside point defense range activate the warhead, which is designed to act like a nuclear shaped charge, by turning a lump of tungsten at one end into plasma. Good luck to anyone trying to dodge that

This

Fuck George Lucas

missile point defence has range of hundreds of kilometres though
you still need to do something fancy to stop that from happening

penetration aids and lots of mirvs I guess

OP where did Lucas say this? I googled for 5 minutes and couldn't find a source. Source pls.

The 'beam' (for want of a better term) of a Casaba though would (theoretically (given that one has never been tested) be able to travel hundreds of kilometers though, that's the beauty of it, it's essentially a missile that turns itself into a particle beam weapon when it gets too close

Missiles are hindered by the requirement to track the target and follow until impact. Lasers are increasingly effective as missiles close the distance to their target. Past a certain point, any missile touched by a laser is quickly destroyed. So quickly, that a laser defense's primary limitation is the time it takes to switch targets. In other words, a laser defense sets up a 'death zone' around itself, within which any wave of missiles will quickly be annihilated.

A combination of efficient lasers, multiple turrets and competent target handling can cut through hundreds of missiles.

The counter to this, on the missile side, is to perform randomized high-acceleration maneuvers called 'jinks'. This tactic is already used today by sea-skimming missiles once they enter the range of CIWS defenses. The problem is, in space this requires the missile to have powerful thrusters, lots of propellant and active, autonomous sensors that survive to the terminal stage of its attack. This means that missiles will end up being heavy, hard to bring up to speed, large (easy to track and hit) and expensive due to on-board electronics. These are all characteristics you want to avoid when trying to make massive waves of missiles economical, or if jinking through the death zone.

Using a Casaba Howitzer warhead solves this conundrum.

It allows missiles to deal damage from outside the death zone. It also removes the requirement of saving propellant for the terminal stage, or even the necessity of accelerating up to a high velocity intercept. At allows missiles to be lighter and smaller. Depending on the price of the nuclear technology, a few Casaba-Howitzer missiles may be cheaper than multitudes of kinetic impactors.

/k/ pls go

>Do you agree with Lucas?
A BILLION TIMES NO

it makes no sense like he acknowledges but then charges ahead anyway so he can blow shit up. stupid.

That was the diagram I was trying to find to explain how they work, thanks fampai

nigger go back to /sci/ youre too smrtt for this place, we dont want you here

I agree that Casaba howitzer is superior to normal missiles, but the long-range laser defence zone is also the very long range missile intercept zone

unless the casaba howitzers charge can hit from more than 50% of the distance between the two combatants its still in grave danger of being intercepted

and now that I think about it, maybe the interceptor missiles could have casaba howitzers themselves, complicating things further

your image assumes that the targets defences are built around defending against tradition missiles even though casaba howitzers are being used.

>submarine duels in movies are boring
He's very much a child in an adult body. He's like the Michael Jackson of cinema, only burnt out WAY earlier.

fuck off niggerfaggot. mag dump is more efficient at killing than your bullshit diagram specs.

Oh he never said any of that. I just made that up to start a discussion. :^)

another idea: seeing as you will always know the exact bearing of the incoming casaba (no stealth in space); what if you had detachable, manoeuvring lightweight baffles or armour plates (depending on whats more efficient) that placed themselves inbetween you and the vampire

Only good part of the prequels. That scene was cool

>much like submarine movies, which aren't known for exciting battles. It wouldn't have conveyed the tension and energy I wanted the scene to have."
The last act of Wrath of Khan had more tension than all of the Prequel Trilogy.

You'd have to add thrusters + fuel to the plates, which would mean they couldn't be as large as simply adding more armour to your own ship directly

Close quarters capital ship combat makes some sense, its a risky strategy but if you can get close enough so your weapons array are inside the enemies shield, you can unload onto their defenseless hull.

>He and Spielberg would riff on ideas all the time but I imagine he didn't get that with the new crew, who appeared to simply revile him in return for everything he gave them to work with.
He and Spielberg are equals. He and his crew are not.

the idea is stand off armour
much more effective per volume than having it stuck to your ship
and you can put it all inbetween you and the incoming casaba instead of covering your entire ship , much more efficient

If you think Dooku is meaningless you have failed to read.

Lucas is a master troll with a dry sense of humor

there are tons of scenes in attack of the clones which will never be topped by disney

I then fire two Casaba's, you've now had to maneuver half your armour to where my second Casaba will target

"Action" without character drama, without stakes, is boring and pointless.

>something has to be a certain way for it to be creative

you're fucking stupid, just like everyone else who holds star wars to their imaginary meme standards which will forever shit on star wars

when something is truly creative, it becomes its own thing, its own style, its own genre. star wars is basically separate from the rest of the film industry. it's not supposed to be 10/10 critically acclaimed super screenplay GOAT drama oscar bait. you retards have zero understanding what creativity and originality is