Should college athletes be paid?

Should college athletes be paid?

No. Free tuition is good enough. It's their own fault that they waste that.

The argument I keep hearing for them being paid is that sports bring the schools a lot of money.

Yeah.

What’s your reasoning?

They should at least be able to market their likeness and sell autographs and shit.

This

I was going to say "this kills the ncaaf video game" and then i looked it up and it already did a few years ago
kek

I agree with this, but in exchange get rid of athletic scholarships.

Good compromise

And in return they get free education, top of the line healthcare, traveling to other countries and exotic locations, and a bunch of other small school related perks like free tutoring.

If a field is competitive enough it isn't unheard of for there to be unpaid internships and no one bats an eye at that practice. A 4 year education including housing, meals, and tuition can be close to a 6 figure value.

The athletes should have a choice of giving up their scholarship in exchange for exemption from NCAA regulations regarding marketing themselves. But the universities don't want this because it would cut them out of a lot of marketing money. Like a whole lot. I still see Tebow gear almost once a week where I live n FL.

Yes. "Free tuition" does'nt mean the Athletes get 100% free gibs for 4 years. They've still got expenses. Getting a P/T job is'nt real practical once you factor in the amount of practice and travel required. It's not fair to hold back a Student Athletes true potential financially b/c some arbitrary board wants to make ALL the money.

they should be payed but don't get everything handed to them
gotta pay your own tuition/housing

>If a field is competitive enough it isn't unheard of for there to be unpaid internships and no one bats an eye at that practice.

It's literally been made illegal in Cali because of how exploitative the entertainment industry is.

Either they all do or no one does, the rugby and rowing teams should be paid along with college football.

But the college football players on campus are already treated like gods, better parking passes, way better apartments, free tuition, why the fuck should they get paid too? It's not like the are guarenteed to go pro

Plus the classes they take are usually bullshit

they are already getting free college which can go around 100k for jewish tricks

well how much is amateur football not attached to a college worth?

how much do arena players make? or the CFL?

theres how much college athletes should be paid

also why more one and done basketball players dont go make 1M in Europe is beyond me

the school adds all the value though

go get CFL autographs, i bet they are cheap

well many cant read so.......

chl teams give their players an allowance and that is considered "pro" by the ncaa.

no because scrubs who have no chance to make it in a pro league should have to rely on their degree for survival. otherwise, you're destroying the integrity of the school.

Well some of the schools and only for certain sports.

what is chl?

also no one is forced to play an NCAA sport, i forgot to add that

I was told they already get paid a lot illegally

mens sports subsidize womens sports... so there really isnt any money to pay the men

some title IX bs

they do, and far more than some pity bucks the schools may cough up

junior hokkei for kids 18-20. they basically get nothing, not even an "education".

The best solution is for the NFL to just stop being cheap asses and make a minor league that all the thousands of guys who think they're hot shit and just want money and don't want to "play school" can go straight into while actual student athletes go to college. Then the NFL can pull from both, and those guys who don't make it from that minor league can proceed to their backup life plan of going to jail

>mate
>big time
Pick one

They should be paid based on how much money the program earns, not everyone gets a slice of football dosh

Sure but most of the same group of people bitching up a storm about muh slavery will be the same ones bitching an even louder storm when Title 9 and stripping Susies field hockey scholarship has to happen because guess where all that profit from those big time football programs go?

The athletes (workers) should be paid (shall control the means of production)

Yes, the free education shit is a total meme, they will make you take classes you don't want to take if the ones you do want to take conflict with your practices. They don't actually give a fuck about your education.

Only ten schools have profitable athletetics programs. The rest are a sinkhole for student fees and boosters. I’ll try to find the link.

You gave me a hearty lol