A CGI Alien

Are you fucking kidding me? CGI is shit and always looks like a video game character placed in the real world.

How can people defend this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OVAKycDdKMU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

thank trump for not letting them in when we need them

Sorry the bitrate sucks in that webm

I don't mind CGI but yeah, this could have used a practical effect and actual model.

The fucking deacon from Prometheus looked fantastic when it came out out of the Engineer.
I dunno lads, hoping for the best but this trailer just looked like Ridley being lazy

It's hanging onto the hull of a spaceship mid flight, I don't see how you could do it with a puppet or a guy in a suit

They could do it with a puppet or animatronice with ckever camera work but that's too much work

I am sorry to have to break the mystery and wonder bud, but that isn't a real spaceship and it isn't actually flying.

...it's not really hanging onto the hull of a spaceship, user.

Alien movie directed by Nolan when?

Probably the only tasteful joke I've seen related to politics in over a year.

Sadly never

They use a puppet/animatronic in Alien 3 and it looks like fucking shit

There's zero reason to do practical

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST THAT LOOKS GODDAMN TERRIBLE

SO

FUCKING

GLAD

I

AM

NOT

SEEING

THIS

MOVIE

No shit. The point is a practical alien couldn't do what the CGI can, especially in action heavy scenes like that, or it would look fucking terrible

This still looks terrible, though.

>a practical alien couldn't do what the CGI can, especially in action heavy scenes like that, or it would look fucking terrible

Where do you come up with this mongoloidic shit from? Why are you so retarded, man? What happened? I'm genuinely curious. Were you born this way or what?

Not really, looks as good as it can get

Are you implying I'm wrong? That you can do that scene with animatronic or a costume and it would look good? Aren't you the retarded

k

You are weirdly defensive about this, are you on the production team?

if so, scrap this and try again

Not really, it looks terrible.

youtube.com/watch?v=OVAKycDdKMU

>tfw they removed the pratical FX from Fifield's death, to that CGI shit

for what reason couldnt you?
the problem is nowadays no one has the creativity or ingenuity to utilise practical effects to create something like this, they just want the easy cheap way out

>diarrhea acid farts

kys

That looks horrible

The trailer for newest AvP game looks pretty good.

yes, you could get a guy in a rubber suit with a reinforced head to bash it against some glass until it shatters. Ditto for a robotic rig.

would it be as fast? no. does it need to be done with SPOOPY FASTMOTION to be scary? no.

You sound like someone who enjoyed the Thing prequel.

What game is this?

>photorelaistic alien CGI
>OMG IT LOOKS LIKE A PS2 GAME AHAAAAAAAAA HELP ME MOOOM!

Thats how retarded you sound.

>puppet/animatronic
Well yeah but not in the sense they used puppets/animatronics in Alien and Aliens. It was a very tiny model they used for stop motion and then later put in the scenes using blue/green screen. So it was actually more CGI than practical in a way.

Man, Alien: Colonial Marines was a shit game

What's the xeno's right hand holding onto and why isn't it using its tail like pic related? The queen in Aliens used her tail like a weapon.

reminds me of this

what exactly is wrong with this shot? what's the dealbreaker here?

MS. Ripley, im ALIEN

>not WY

one job m8

All xenos use their tail as a weapon. Guess the Covenant alien is the retarded brother of the original xenos.

I don't know, it feels like this scene plays more to 'whoa look at the cool shit the Alien is doing' when that was never why I liked Alien as a film.

The Alien itself is an excellent design but it's been thrown out of any context here. Look at how the Alien is shot in the original film, or even how it moves in Alien: Isolation. It blends in with the environment.

Throwing the Alien on top of a truck against a flat grey background, it looks incredibly out of place. Danny McBride is obviously supposed to be in danger here, but the Alien feels least dangerous when you can see it clearly. It's when it's against pipes and crawling on the walls, in shadow, that you fear it.

the fucking original jurassic parks cgi still holds up better than this shitfest

It´s kinda funny (and sad) that they´re trying so hard to turn a stealthy, semi-intelligent being into a run-of-the-mill leaping monster. Even in aliens the xenos fucking cut the power, hid in walls/smoke and used vents to sneak up on ppl.

this was a great scene

Hmmm does it though?

they kinda lost that silent, creepy elegance by Alien 3, but it wasn't anywhere near this bad

At least we can still look forward to Shane Black's Predator movie. He probably won't fuck that up.

He already has with the nu-male cast. And also

>hunting in muh suburbs

looks completely ass

next we'll have 10000 marines vs 1000000 aliens facing eachother in formation battle

Is CGI a meme now?
What is wrong with you

why are practical effects so much more comf than cgi lads

It's not just that, though; it's presentation.

The frame you posted is an excellent example of how to do it right. The Alien casts a black silhouette in the background against the light, creating this really stark scorpion image. Especially with Newt unaware and innocent in the foreground, the sense of danger is imminent and clear.

Compare that to ; the CGI on the Alien here, the angle chosen to portray it, how it just lazily fills the screen rather than being in the background or foreground, there's little sense of exactly HOW it's a threat. You just know 'it's on the ship, it's trying to get in'. There's no sense of symbolism in the image, no visual poetry.

I think it´s the lighting. Practical effects always look like they are in the same dimension, Cgi effects look like they are happening someplace else but certainly not in the same place as where the real actors are.

barely any better than the shitty CGI dog alien from Alien^3

Also, what pisses me off about the trailer is how it reveals so much. I think we see more screentime of the xenomorph(s) in this trailer alone than we saw in the entirety of Alien 1. Not to mention we already know who gets facehugged, who is clearly going to die, etc. The entire plot is basically already given to us, except for a couple action scenes to link things together.

Ridley Scott apparently fundamentally doesn't even understand his own damn original movie. He keeps making these bullshit attempts to recreate Alien 1, but they all fall flat, because he seems to think that people sitting around saying "OOOH I WONDER WHAT NEW TYPES OF XENOMORPHS" is a substitute for having a good screenplay

>Ridley Scott apparently fundamentally doesn't even understand his own damn original movie

Honestly, he's just getting old and complacent.

I mean, Jesus, even in the stuff that isn't continuations of his classics. You see Exodus?

Yeah, exactly. Don't.

you're going to see it regardless who are you kidding

He had a huge stem down in quality with everything after Gladiator.

F90s and AR-15s with green lasers

what is this bullshit

That and it's a a lingering shot that gives you a full clear image of what the alien looks like in broad daylight.

In the original, we didn't even see what the alien looked like in its entirety until near the end of the movie. There's no mystery or suspense here. We already know everything about the movie. Black goo pods, facehuggers, and aliens.

They didn´t have the goat pulse rifle yet. Still kinda weird how shitty their tech outside of the ship is.

Why is that, anyway?

Was it finally getting that Oscar?

>F90s and AR-15s with green lasers

This I dont get, why not a Pulse Rifle or Smart Gun

wonder how Alien movie by Terrence Malick would look like

This is AvP, right?

I think it's just a matter of getting old. Your mind becomes less adaptive and flexible as you grow older. That's why guys like scientific/musical geniuses do all their brilliant shit in their early life. It's why modern Nintendo is shit, because all the people who were there in their 20s making groundbreaking new games are still there in their 60s controlling everything

games are shit in general now

Wrong, videogames are smash hits now.

Ironically, considering the subject matter of the thread, one of the best games I've played recently was Alien: Isolation. Really unique experience. Made the Alien feel genuinely threatening again.

tfw overused the flamethrower and now it isn't scared any more

Alien Isolation was surprisingly good though. Probably the last good alien content we´ll get in ever.

she's not really an Asari, i mean there are no ugly Asari

someBODY

>this is a major Triple A game

I don't really know how to respond to this but you're probably a dumb kid so it doesn't matter.

Two questions.

>isn't Covenant supposed to be a direct prequel to Alien? If so, why the alien is so different from the Xenomorph in Alien?

>isn't the goal of the Covenant to start a settlement? If so, why send gay people who can't reproduce?

>whatever spaceship super glass
>the ship is flying 5000mph whatever in foreign planets
>where it might get hit by large rocks/rock birds and shit flying directly towards it at 5000mph
>breaks from an humanoid standing still headbutting it

the physics just don't match to be honest.

>>isn't Covenant supposed to be a direct prequel to Alien?
No
>isn't the goal of the Covenant to start a settlement? If so, why send gay people who can't reproduce?
They're not allowed to make movies without inserting faggotry any more.

I think whats more dissapointing is the trailer spoiled the entire plot of the movie.
I think it looks promising desu, certainly worth watching. But no where near good as the original 2.

Glad to see there is more creatures than just the Alien though. Hopefully we'll see more wierd shit.

1. The neomorph is probably the not-yet fully-developed version of the regular xenomorph drone. There will be regular eggs/xenos in Covenant.
2. The "crew" shown in the prologue and trailer is just flying the ship. There´s hundreds/thousands of frozen embryos inside the ship.

>>>isn't Covenant supposed to be a direct prequel to Alien?
>No
So when is Covenant supposed to happen?

Isn't that some kind of rover? It looks too boxy to be a ship.

Predator is in this one

after prometheus

i was thinking its a cargo platform

SO it's a prequel to the first Alien...

Before aliens
10 years after promemetheous

Blue Shreck babe. No, thx.

You think there would be a standard safe protocol that requires the crew to wear gas mask, yeah the atmosphere might be the same as on earth but for you know the atmosphere is also full of fungus that settles in your brain.
>and it looks like fucking shit
Because the background was CGI every time the puppet was on screen

>direct prequel to Alien?
No, Sequel to Prometheus, set before Alien in the timeline, yes technically a prequel to alien but not a direct one.

>hunting in muh suburbs
Why not? It worked for Predator 2

Fuck you that movie was great

the sound mixing seems really fucking overdone during the dialogue in the trailer. it's too fucking clear.

Has anyone xplained why a gay couple is on a colonization expedition? I've looked around a bit and can't find anything.

Will this be in the entire movie or is the CGI thing just for a feature scene?

I rewatched ALien 3 a few days ago and this alien only looks a little better than what was in that.

Just look at the fucking work done on that prop, it's a fucking tommy gun from pre ww2 and even though its an 80s film it still looks modern and futuristic.
You do not get that level of dedication and effort with modern film, it's all green-screens and CGI shite

lmao ridley isn't doing shit, he only signing the movie so plebs will watch it
this is a corporate product and nothing more

>being so clinically retarded that you can't get basic sarcasm

You should honestly kill yourself

It wouldn´t even be that bad if they gave the cgi guys enough time and resources and only used cgi where it actually made sense. But they´re just rushing the production and it shows.

I´m not exactly a fan of cgi in movies though. You can´t create a good atmosphere if something doesn´t look real in film.

>Directed by Ridley Scott
Yes he gave us Alien, Thelma & Louise, Blade Runner, American Gangster and Gladiator.

But he also gave us Hannibal, Robin Hood, The Counselor, Exodus: Gods and Kings, A Good Year and 1492: Conquest of Paradise

I really wish I could kill myself user.

>>isn't the goal of the Covenant to start a settlement? If so, why send gay people who can't reproduce?

Because they're not there to birth a colony, that few couples would not be genetically viable, that low of a number only worked once in human history.

They're couples because they want people to have emotional support and stability for this life commitment to colonization. People can get seriously depressed being separate from their family for a year, now imagine committing your life to it.