/fmg/ Filmmaking General

Enough autistic memes for a second, let's discuss filmmaking.

What are you working on? What have you done in the past? Share it here.
Looking for advice? Ask here.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tv/search/filename/fmg.png/
vimeo.com/201528478
vimeo.com/202434892
youtube.com/watch?v=EUtc3SAtiLE
youtube.com/watch?v=UKIXwrkaops
youtube.com/watch?v=2YG4oDI26Zs
youtube.com/watch?v=DhnkYyhyUok
imdb.com/title/tt1316037/
youtube.com/watch?v=Eu9i_YxFf1k
youtube.com/watch?v=2L0wieH5z3A
youtube.com/watch?v=vgc1WXS21Vc
vimeo.com/131910069
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump

Been thinking of a herzog style mockumentary but I'm struggling with dialog that plays it straight enough

Janet is a relatively attractive (under 200lb) 40yo religious highschool teacher who lives in the midwest. Her husband, nigel, was her first boyfriend and only lover. Interestingly, nigel has a very large penis, over 10". Unfortunately, he dies of cancer or something, but on his deathbed he's able to convince janet to marry again if she finds the right guy. So janet fucks and fucks and fucks. But, having been with no other man before nigel, she's slow to realize that he had a bwc of impressive proportions. The rest of the movie consists of her slowly looking older and sadder as she progresses thru a long line of men with average 7" dicks. Finally, at age 90, werner pays her a visit at the nursing home with a birthday gift, a gigolo, a well endowed one at that. He fucks her silly and makes cum like she hasn't cum in 50 years since dear old nigel passed away. The final shot is of her in tears of joy and sadness. Joy for the wonderful orgasm and sadness because she's old and nearly dead.

Finishing a short film atm that I've been working on for over a year
Probably gonna be shit

Sounds interesting and quite depressing as well lmao, hope you pull it off

What is it about? What genre?

>Never amount to anything general

lmao get a job already for fucks sake

Experimental, I suppose
Not Brakhage tier experimental more like grandrieux or something

archive.4plebs.org/tv/search/filename/fmg.png/
OP spends more time making threads on this shit board than he does working on his writing or filmmaking. That should set the stage for these threads quite well.

These threads are usually pretty interesting.

Go back to posting bane memes, I'm sure you'll amount to something with that instead of having an actual discussion about filmmaking. :^)

I've made one other of those threads

So shit you can't come up with ideas anymore so you resort to stealing from threads on a mongolian basket weaving image board, huh?

This isn't an ideas thread, it's about people discussing the process of filmmaking, asking advice and sharing their work.

It's weird how these threads always get so much hostility but constant "JUST" and "BLACKED" threads are totally fine

Bump

>the guy scoping Sup Forums for ideas is russian
I thought ruskies were great natural writers? You are a shame to your country and your countrymen.

I like your irony.

Maybe you and I should exchange emails.

I am not OP

bump

I told you already we should exchange emails.

Filmaking General ?
More like Flickmaking General!

[email protected]

Making a short film where I interview house wives about their day to day routines and then ask them a series of existential questions, shit like, "Do you think you do fulfilling work", and ,"Is your role in the world one that is important". I thought it was gonna be kind of interesting looking at women in what is an antiquated role, but god these people are fucking dumb. There's a reason they don't work. Might have to throw the whole fucking thing away.

>but god these people are fucking dumb. There's a reason they don't work. Might have to throw the whole fucking thing away.

I dunno man, I'd be interested in watching that. Even more so if they're stupid cause it might be funny.

Did you really expect house wives to be smart though?

Ah, I see you're a coward. Doesn't care to share his work with another writer, merely satisfied with memeing, and bumping a meaningless thread.

>merely satisfied with memeing

Ironic, because you were attacking the only thread that isn't just posting memes constantly

I don't know a thing about filmmaking. I just watched Moana though and it annoyed me that they did a snap zoom.

>Did you really expect house wives to be smart though?
Nah, I suppose not. I just thought they'd have anything to say. Just anything at all.

this is the definition of pretentious

Ironic because /fmg/ and /swg/ are fucking memes. You'd know that if you didn't get here only last week.

You thought it was a good idea to ask women "existential questions." Did you ask anyone else, as a control? You think the average worker on the street is going to give you better answers?

I directed a drama movie with my older sister, she starred, I did the story, directing and editing. I also appeared a bit in it. It was really shit though.

I wanted to make a war kino but I have no friends willing to help out plus I'd need to get good at sfm to make tank scenes.

Im currently writing the script for it anyway.

I've directed two things recently enough. Would appreciate feedback on either.

Nod - Kind of pusher-y drug short
vimeo.com/201528478

S.I.L.A - Really slow post-apoc sci-fi shot in true anamorphic
vimeo.com/202434892

Both shot on my a7s and vintage lenses

Yeah I suppose. I just wanted to see how these people who get talked about all the time saw themselves as fitting into the world.

>muh sexism
Nice

Even the average women on the street wouldn't give a fuck about those vague questions. Try talking to a woman about philosophy or religion. There is obviously a difference in the way they think. It has nothing to do with sexism or bias you liberal fruit.

Keep up the good work user. What was the importance of holding the shot on the tap at the end of the first one tho? Just the 'life drains away' meme?

>I consider women intellectually on par with men
>This is some kind of 'liberal' idea
Genuinely what the fuck did you mean by that?

My low/no budget short film is getting shown at a film festival next week:

youtube.com/watch?v=EUtc3SAtiLE

And I'm working on a documentary.

Really enjoyed Nod, great cinematography, great actors. Where did you get them btw? Agency? or friends of yours?
Sound could use some work though. Had a hard time hearing what they were saying, too much reverb. Using a good quality boom mic would make a world of difference. You can just hire one for the day if it's out of your price range.
Music also didn't fit in well, but overall great job. Keep it up

SILA was even better. After watching that it seems you sorted out the sound issues so well done haha.

Again, great cinematography and actors.

You're lying. Most film festivals prohibit films from showing trailers or any content online in advance.

Not if it's a student film.

I remember you posting this in another thread.

Really liked this one, and it's pretty amazing what you did with little to no budget. Good work.

What's the documentary about?

>Most

So not all then

These housewives think about more practical things like "is my husband happy" or "are my children well fed" not "what is my place in the world." It just sounds like you're taking advantage of common people to virtue signal.

Oh not all, but any that matter. I'm guessing you didn't even pay a submission fee.

Biohacking is what the documentary is about. Also planning another low budget short film set in Hell. And I'm also working on a web series. I just need to keep practicing film making and trying different things.

I think we all are aren't we?

I also made this for my universities 1 minute movie competition. Theme had to be land or sea.

youtube.com/watch?v=UKIXwrkaops

For Nod, i would have made the moment where the 2nd dude enter a single take, where the camera moves much more around the actors and has more small movements to make the viewer uncomfortable.

Also, have the dominant person be the focus of the camera, with the other actor in a corner barely in the screen

youtube.com/watch?v=2YG4oDI26Zs

This is an action film I made a couple years ago. I'm really proud of it! Tell me what you guys think!!!

How find crew
How find actors
How convince actors when no budget

Friends and there are websites with amateur actors that want any exposure or experience they can get.

>Nod
First thing I notice is that the music isnt very believable as club music. Set sound is bad, but not completely awfull. Recording sound in a tile covered bathroom is a nightmare, so without clip on mics it's pretty hard to get good sound.

That said about the sound and music.

I would have personaly gone for a hanheld camera docmentary style all the way, the switch between handheld and stationary distracts me a bit.

>S.I.L.A.

Sound and music is alot better, all though a little dull. A bit more soundscaping could have helped immerse you more in the world.

Anamorphic is a cool thing, but I dont know if it helps or distracts me from the film as you havent mastered it. Some shots look good, some shots look like they were shot 16:9 and reframed in post.

Anyways, cool production, good locations, all though a little under utilised. I not a script writer, but I managed to follow the plot. Not bad.

>Friends
Man I really wish I had that option

Have you even seen his flick satan? It wouldn't even hold up at an amateur festival. It looks too much like a student project. I guess he'd have better luck getting it shown in some backwash town in the middle of nowhere, which is what I assume is the case.

Use students.

For crew, go to a film school and find students who are nearing the end of their course.
For actors, go to an acting school and ask if you can hold auditions.

This way you can get actors and crew for free who are just happy for the experience.
No, they won't be great crew or great actors in most cases, but if you aren't willing to pay then that's the best you'll get.

Be an asshole.
Learn to live life like an asshole and love it.
Hire ""actors"" without giving any shits.

At first you can try craigslist if you don't have any friends. Then move up to the better sites if you are successful.

Hmmm. For me, this film throws up A LOT more questions then it answers.
>What were they patrolling?
>Is this character we're following a hero or a villain? In the story he's really the only person who does anything wrong.
>Why does the character hover over the bodies of the two people that he's killed? Is it that he feels some kind of guilt or remorse for the wrong he's done?
>Why does the director choose to play such a loud piece of music, and what is he communicating with this choice?
Overall 10/10, really made me think

>youtube.com/watch?v=2YG4oDI26Zs
This is pretty stupid. I don't know what you're ultimate point is. Why did you even upload this, and post this on Sup Forums of all places?

Don't mean to be a dick, but that's the reality of it.

This was my attempt at an MTG comedy video.
youtube.com/watch?v=DhnkYyhyUok

There is an expansion called "Saviors" so I crucified it.

Why did you use such over the top music for such a mundane scene..

Thats' a shame for you to think that. I think it's a fun action film that's enjoyable to watch!

I was hoping that us fellow filmmakers could get along and appreciate each others crafts!

I think its exiting!!!

>youtube.com/watch?v=DhnkYyhyUok
For what it is, it's definitely better and more entertaining than a lot of the shit I see in these threads (in presentation and editing), but since it's not a narrative film in any way, I don't exactly know what the point of it is (other than as some novelty), and as such I can't really comment on it.

Write a cool script with good parts.

Write for few actors, nobody will bother to waste a day on a no budget short if they have one line in the film and have to stand around in the background all day.

Ask around at your local amateur theatre, ask your friends if they know some amateur/student actors. (It's key that you write a film with young parts as it is likely you wont get alot of mature actors to work in your film, young people playing the parts of 40 year olds always look bad)

As far as crew. For most shorts, you need only mic operator, photograph and maybe lights. Handling the mic is easy, just point it in the right direction and make sure shit dont peak. This can be handled by a friend who isnt a complete moron.

Lights, just go to yard sale and pick up a few lamps. You can great lamp shades to your own spesifics real easy. Dont need 800 watt lamps on a short.

He think we discuss movies here.

>I think its exiting!!!

You're either Turkish or Trolling.

>come to Sup Forums expecting talented writers and creative filmmakers that are pouring every cent and sweat-drop into their work
>get nothing but faggots who don't actually write but love bumping shitty threads, and other faggots who post shit that shows no creativity or soul, or passion whatsoever

I don't even know why I still come to these threads.

Post your masterpiece then, Mr Spielberg

Where's this thread been lately? Glad it's back
Have a short film to finish editing
Have another to film whenever I get a free weekend and my actors are available

And my short film from end of last year got an imdb page so I've got that going for me which is nice

[FILM SNOBBERY INTENSIFIES]

post it

>YouTube
Might as well do improv comedy sketches

>And my short film from end of last year got an imdb page so I've got that going for me which is nice

Nice, post it man, lets see

Not at all. Whats wrong with feeling proud of a solid, fun piecce of moviemaking? why does everything have to be "'patrician" or 'kino"?

>my short film from end of last year got an imdb page
Is this the new American Dream?

Here you go

imdb.com/title/tt1316037/

You're expecting creativity from memers? What the hell is wrong with you? Everyone knows that these threads are a fucking joke. How new are you?

>Shoots a guy in the back
>Immediately turns his back to a man with a gun in order to look for cover he was JUST in instead of retracing his steps backwards
Is he retarded, bros?

I worked on this back in January, went to a sports facility with a little playground and starrted filming little shots of random things and then arrange them to give this very-short film a meaning.

Currently studying TV Production.

youtube.com/watch?v=Eu9i_YxFf1k

>It's weird how these threads always get so much hostility but constant "JUST" and "BLACKED" threads are totally fine
People get insecure when they see other people motivated to try and succeed
This board is full of depressed unmotivated neets who want to be surrounded by other depressed unmotivated neets

This

>YouTube
>Motivated to try to succeed

Found one

I'm afraid that's the ultimate fate of Sup Forums. Faggots who pretend to be filmmakers and writers but have never accomplished anything of value, nor do they care about accomplishing anything. Then you get other faggots who come here boasting that they've made it, when they are making minimum wage doing shitty music videos with terrible color grading.

Because you have to maintain a standard, if that standard ever falls we get Michael Bay kino

The camera is shaking too much, you should have put it on a tripod because that's clearly what you intended to.

The colors are really disgusting, you should have gone at another time of the day or did more editing.

Unnecessary close up shots for no reason, you fucking suck and this shit trash

t. NEET who thinks BLACKED threads are funny

There's about as likely chance you'll succeed off of YouTube as there is film students who shoot with their friends and can't direct will be seen

>The colors are really disgusting, you should have gone at another time of the day or did more editing.

It was REALLY sunny that day, the white and lighter colors were really bright.

>The camera is shaking too much, you should have put it on a tripod because that's clearly what you intended to.

No tripod on that day, No time to get it out because that day I was working on some pictures. Entirely handheld camera.

It wasn't planned, just went there and spent 3 or 4 minutes shooting at random things, asi I explained earlier.

Just watched Nod
There are some good ideas, nice shots at times
But your cuts are disjointed
Your sound is terrible (literally can't hear what they're saying half the time)

The end lacked impact. I dunno, it didn't come across as shocking as I feel it was supposed to. And the story was lacking - it was like a random scene from a full-length film; and that can be fine. But here, not having any of the before or after took away from it
How did the guy in the cap feel/respond/act after leaving the bathroom? Did the guy in the jacket recover? Was the justification really there? Did anyone care about what took place?
But it's interesting

>Pointing the camera in a close up shot is 'shooting things'

>not exclusively making video collage from youtube videos with less than 10 views, guided to and through the material by god's chance hand

smdh

Damn how did you find it?!

Nice idea, I'll try it sometime, present it to film class and expect the disappointment I'm used to.

Define ''shooting'' then...

Youtube won't do much in itself
But it still shows the motivation to go out and there and try. Everyone's first short is shit. If it's not shit, then it's not really yours

You start with shit and keep making stuff until it's a bit less shit
One step at a time

Even filming a shitty nolan parody full of autistic baneposting references is 100x better than sitting in your room jacking off to hentai and complaining that you're a loser

Using more than one shot perframe

Oh, there are loads of different types. Scool, Nightclub, etc. Presidential is my favourite though. You must not be an American.

I'd rather write first, get noticed and then leverage my way into directing. The cameras they use in films are different from the ones regular people use and cost a lot of money. Granted you can use any camera but if you can't have the variety of using filters, lenses and shit like that then you have nothing

youtube.com/watch?v=2L0wieH5z3A

Here's the intro for Hotline Miami film that I may expand upon sometime. It was pretty much a 48 hour film I guess, shot and edited over the period of a weekend with friends.

Not a whole lot of narrative/character substance in the final product, but I think it's got some alright visuals (which are tainted by dogshit compression).

Anyway, feel free to critique.

recently finished a short documentary. Now im itching to do something completely free again which is why im starting production on a music video.

Heres some old shit
youtube.com/watch?v=vgc1WXS21Vc

vimeo.com/131910069