>John Wayne
D R O P P E D

Hollywood Revue

and The Human Comedy

The only correct answer.

High Sierra

I was surprised it was so old.

Best live-action romantic comedy.

Best noir, despite the Hollywood sucking its own dick theme. If you can't tolerate that then watch Double Indemnity instead.

>tfw he's just like me.

This

Most entertaining Robin Hood movie I've seen.

It's a pity he died so early, I'd liked to have seen more with James Dean.

The best Disney movie, with a unique art style and the greatest villain.

Atypical Western, recommend even if you don't usually like the genre. Sometimes compared to OP's choice.

Antonioni's best

The Maltese Falcon is not only my favorite pre-60s movie, it is my favorite mystery, detective and noir film. It is perfect in every way. The casting is so well done that it almost makes you forget how good the acting is. The plot is that ideal level of noir mystery where you can barely keep up with the PI and yet in the end it all makes sense. The MacGuffin is not even scared to admit that it's a MacGuffin (it's a statuette afterall).

It really just work on every level and is one of the highlights of a genre (film noir) with dozens of 10/10s.

I was bored by this one. It reminded me of Inception, in that I liked it in theory, I just didn't identify with any of the characters and didn't care what happened.

It's top 5 westerns ever imo. This, Once Upon a Time in the West, 3:10 to Yuma (2007), Winchester 73, and The Assassination of Jesse James.

It is until the ending, which is so hyper typical it sort of negates the previous 70 minutes for me

Agreed. There's something wrong you if you can't fall in love with Claudette Colbert in this one.

Showed it for an Intro to Film class and all my "I don't like OLD movies!" students just couldn't get over that a movie from the 30s could be funny in a way they related to.

If you liked it you should also watch A Man for All Seasons by the same director (1966 so off topic for this thread).

Fucking this. Wrote a whole paper about this years ago.

If Kane had actually died, THAT would have delivered the point that the movie was really building towards; that law and order and "civility" is sustained not by a select few but by a collective civic duty of a populace and that it dies if the citizens of a society won't do their due part to protect the privileges of the society they live in.

Instead, it ends up being a more trite "you can't count on anyone but yourself" message.

Seen it. Great film.

Do you like noir in general?

A common complaint of the genre is that most characters are despicable and that one often cannot empathize with anyone.

The way around this is often the PI (or protag) being unfairly through into something, and having to do their best to figure what's going on and get themselves out of the middle of it. The Maltese Falcon is one of the best example of this in the genre.

Fantastic early network narrative penned by Billy Wilder

I generally dislike noir, the Billy Wilder films being an exception.

I almost agree, except then you'd lose the scene of him dropping his badge at the end. And he is saved by his pacifist Quaker wife, so it's not pure self-reliance.

Fair enough. Perhaps better to say "you can't count on people in general, just you and yours."

This or Ninotchka. I fucking love Lubitsch.

Thanks for the recommendation. I haven't seen this one yet.

Is this the one with that crazy WW2 commando veteran in the cast?

For me it's Sahara. It's a propaganda movie but holy shit, it's good.

No, this is the best Lubitsch.

The Rules of the Game
City Lights
Stagecoach
Citizen Kane
The Wizard of Oz
Bicycle Theives

good but overrated.

watch this

Rear Window
Strangers on a Train

I'll post my 9s and 10s.

The Big Sleep (1946) - could be the movie I watched the most
The Maltese Falcon (1941)
M (1931)
It Happened One Night (1934)
City Lights (1931)
Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari (1920)
The Great Dictator (1940)
Double Indemnity (1944)
Caged (1950)
Rashômon (1950)
On the Waterfront (1954)
Les diaboliques (1955)
12 Angry Men (1957)
Paths of Glory (1957)
Det sjunde inseglet (1957)
Smultronstället (1957)

>ctrl-f Faust
>0 results

Why are you speaking Swedish?

Essential thriller coming through

shit but entertaining

watch this

>Criterion-core

My top 5:

Ishirō Honda's Godzilla
Strangers on a Train
Bride of Frankenstein
Alfred Hitchcock's The 39 Steps
12 Angry Men

>thrillers and horror

It's a Swedish movie. If you're watching movies with the original audio (why wouldn't you?), why wouldn't you list them with their original titles?

There are so many absurd title translations in my language, I think it's for the better to just ignore them all together.

It makes no sense if you post on an english speaking imageboard.

You want others to recognize the movie, how would we communicate if we posted for example russian and japanese films in their original title names?

>an english speaking international imageboard
let me fix that.

does it have the same class dynamics as Stagecoach?

I know all Russian and Japanese movies I have by their original title. (In Latin alphabet).
It was even the norm on IMDB, before it went to shit, to default to the original title.

If you wanted class dynamics, you should've just said so.

>The Rules of the Game
Technically great but incredibly boring. Camera work reminds me of Wes Anderson movies.

>incredibly boring
How?

>reminds me of Wes Anderson movies
You mean the other way around since the hack even said his favorite movie was Toni.

It's a character focused movie and I don't give a shit about any of the characters.

I like the Ealing comedies and anything Merle Oberon was in.

I always want class dynamics

Still the best

Yeah, my favorite genres are horror and thriller. So?