Well that was boring

Well that was boring

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AnfR-KZ2FxI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>I love you!

I agree, I stopped watching after about 30 minutes. This movie sucked.

Not nearly enough fast cuts and quips, yeah.

Where can I get a coat like that?

Boyston

At goodwill

WHITE RAPIST MOVIE

Try Carhartt sandstone jacket

>t. /fa/

dropped it 15 minutes in

awful writing

Plebs, all of you

^ this guys supports rape. He's pro-rape.

Probably the only movie that you need to be an adult to enjoy. For the rest, there is a girl in her underwear at some point.

Good job bro! Rape's awesome.

uh, I'm 24 and did not enjoy this movie.

You're still a kid

I'm not so sure, I'm as self aware and reasonable as any 'adult' I've met if not more so.

pleb

Solid drama movie, but I didn't understand the end, why Manchester goes fishing with his nephew if he doesn't like him?

Is that a boy or a girl on the left?

I liked the first 10-15 minutes

if it were 2 hours of that it would have been a masterpiece

jesus dude you're 24 and that's the type of shit 16 year olds say and the way they think

you disgust me. sick rapist

>One hour into the movie
>None of the characters even have one super power
why am I watching this shit again?

What was the deal with that? Did she really still have strong feelings for him?

So what happens to him in the upcoming years?

Yeah. She was heartbroken and deep inside still pissed at him but she knew he was the same as her.

This movie was great, totally pleb filter. It would have won best picture were it not for the rape thing. That Affleck was able to win best actor at all is a testament to how overpoweringly good the movie was

i was really hoping for a more happy ending

Strong movie.

I started slow, but as it progressed it gained traction quite quickly.

>Manchester (USA)

fuck off already amerifarts

stopped watching when i found out it wasn't about Manchester.

That is what destroyed him.

If for just one second Lee thought he was going to be happy, that revelation buried any chance of closure.

It was good, it had that Oslo 31 August feel to it, with a mixture of the Hunt.

This poster is wrong. They're marketing the movie wrong

I thought this was all about heartbroken dude and his ex before watching, and realized a lot of people felt/feel the same way.

This scene is like the only scene they talk except in flashbacks. This isn't a love movie, it shouldnt be shown like it is

So she didn't really "love" him, she just loved the idea of having someone in the same spot as them. Just wanting someone to lick your wounds with isn't really the same as love. Plus, their relationship was pretty shitty anyway, unless that's how Bahston marriages usually are.

The ending was perfection. Bleak, melancholy, but still hopeful and undefeated

That's because the flashback scene was so dramatic and well done. You really don't expect the movie to go that direction since he's just chilling in some lawyer's office. It pulls you in when you least expect it and ends it with the big gut punch.

>their relationship was pretty shitty anyway
Even the night when she kicked his friend out of the house and as calling him an asshole she was smiling coyly at him. They were very clearly in love and very happy. She didn't lose her love for him, her entire world was completely decimated. They still loved each other, but the magnitude of the tragedy made it untenable.

>working as a janitor/unskilled handyman with no future prospects
>unable to face past demons to the point of having to run away from home town
>hopeful and undefeated

I disagree. They were together for almost 10 years and it's not like they fell out of love with each other, they were violently forced apart by tragedy. It's entirely possible, even probable to still have love for ex partners as well.

Since the other thread's gonna die I'll double-post it here:

To me, the purpose was to show that there's a point where grief turns into self-pity, and self-pity turns to selfishness. No matter how much pain you're carrying around with you, you can't avoid responsibility forever. At a certain point, you've either got to kill yourself too, or start getting over it, and putting other peoples' needs ahead of wallowing in your own misery.

The tragedy that ruined Lee's life is one of the worst things that could plausibly happen to someone. We can all understand why he's become the human zombie we meet at the beginning of the story. When the backstory is revealed, we can all sympathize.

But once the responsibility of helping Patrick gets dropped in his lap, the film creates one situation after another where Lee's broken-down attitude makes him look like an asshole. Where other people need him to step up and act like a person again, where there's no practical reason he can't do it, and his continued refusal to make the effort just makes him seem petulant and childish.

Didn't know Casey Affleck was such a good actor, I mean the way he expressed his grief took me for surprise, I was expecting some kind of crying and screaming when the cops are telling him what happened, but the way he shows his emotions make it feel more realistic, it almost made me cry.

continued:

And at a certain point, you can see that he's starting to get it. He's absolutely terrified by the idea of stepping into a parental role again after he botched it so catastrophically in the past. He's even more terrified by the prospect of living in Manchester, where every single person who looks at him knows his history. But he just can't let go of his feelings of obligation, and even love, for Patrick.

This movie really made me want a happy ending, and I felt a bit let down when I walked out of the theater. But I like the ending more and more as I've thought about it since. When he tells Patrick he's got a spare bedroom, and floats the idea of Patrick going to college in Boston, you can tell that he's not just gonna give up and disappear. His healing process is obviously going to be a slow, two steps forward-one step back kind of thing, but he's already in a better place than he was at the beginning of the film, and his relationship with Patrick is a lifeline that will motivate him to keep trying.

Mark's Work Warehouse

hes good in everything he does. go watch The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

>mfw people tell me that scene is the most gutrenching one in the film
this whole film is the definition of blue balls

Ben should feel ashamed to be a such a shit actor compared to Casey.

well said

I wonder why he didn't try to kill himself another time. guess his brother made him promise but still.

He has begun to address his demons and heal

I agree. He also didn't want Patrick to live with his mother, it was obvious he cared. Facing that kind of trauma by living in Manchester wouldn't be realistic, you can see how it affects him.

Realistic is the word. Only exception was Patrick's reaction maybe, but he was waiting for dad's death since he was like 8 probably. I liked how this movie dealt with grief, trauma, detachment, apathy.

Bunch of portentous faggot the thread

>kid goes to meet up with estranged alcoholic mother
>turns out shes a weirdo christian
>its not going well
>she gets up to go to the kitchen
>*clinking glasses*

>portentous
So you're illiterate and you have shit taste, I think you'd like tumblr better than Sup Forums

He has the stoic demeanor down to a science.

The real Casey Affleck kino isn't Assassination and it isn't Manchester. It's Gone Baby Gone.

youtube.com/watch?v=AnfR-KZ2FxI

I always believed it was the things you don’t choose who make you who you are. Your city, your neighborhood, your family. People here take pride in those things, like it was something they’d accomplished. The bodies around their souls, the cities wrapped around those. I lived on this block my whole life. Most of these people have. When your job is to find people who are missing, it helps to know where they started. I find the people who started in the cracks and then fell through. This city can be hard. When I was young I asked my priest, how can you get to Heaven and still protect yourself from all the evil in the world. He told me what God said to His children, “You are sheep among wolves. Be wise as serpents, yet innocent as doves.”

The look on his face when he realizes he's not going to be arrested was fucking rough. It's like he really wants someone to tell him he's a piece of shit and it's all his fault

On the other hand, he's absolutely terrible in Lonesome Jim, playing a bitter lazy fuck when he should be depressed.

All the films that Ben Affleck directs would be better if Casey were the leading man instead of him. He's a good director, but he always mis-casts himself and tries too hard to make his own character seem cool and perfect. If Casey had played his role in Argo, it would've been a great film

It's probably because Ben is 1. not a good actor, 2. far too tall and handsome to play complicated leading men roles.

He was literally cursed by his physique to best fill out capeshit roles.

Casey, being far more average in appearance, can disappear into his roles way more effectively.

It's the same problem with Matt Damon. Too boring and conventionally beefcake to sell complicated dramatic roles.

Anyone else think he should have been executed on the spot? When the cop began saying it's "not a crime to forget to put the screen on the fireplace", I thought I was watching a satirical black comedy for a second - even made the mistake of chuckling out loud in the theater. He's clearly in the wrong and should have been charged for negligence and manslaughter, at the very least.

>It's the same problem with Matt Damon. Too boring and conventionally beefcake to sell complicated dramatic roles.
No, Matt Damon has proved several times over that he actually has the skills, even if he can be kind of obnoxious as a public persona. The Talented Mr. Ripley alone gets him a lifetime pass, and he was also really great in The Informant, The Departed, True Grit, probably a few others that aren't coming to mind right now.

The only time I've been impressed with Ben Affleck's acting was Gone Girl, and Fincher got a great performance out of Tyler Perry in the same film, so I'm not sure the credit belongs to Affleck for that one

You're right. I forgot True Grit and Departed.

>even made the mistake of chuckling out loud in the theater
Not a mistake, that was supposed to be funny. The movie was pretty funny.

Man, you totally sound like a lawyer!