Be honest, how often do you use imperial units in your daily life?

Be honest, how often do you use imperial units in your daily life?

when i'm talking with americans

Never?

never
Only times i've done it is to convert something a dumb amerilard said

I barely even know how imperial units works, so never

All the time

never, I don't even know what the units were

Feet and inches and pounds are better measures of human height and weight than metric. But that's about it.

No. You literally say that someone has SIX FEET. Have you ever seen someone with six feet?

I don't even know how long a feet is lol

I only know miles because of NFS

Only very rarely in uni.

brits are pussies for going metric

Literally never.

in Colombia we use gallons for gas.

inches are used for pipes, valves and these kind of things.

We only use inches for screen size. Nothing else

When I talk or search about monitors and screens in general because they are measured in inches.

Never...

We aren't a metric country.

imperial fat

When I am doing ASTM tests.

You are. Sorry, but we won ;)

We say 3"1/2 and 5"1/4 floppy disks,
27" inch monitor

...and that's all.

Even in industry.

Meter, second, kilogram and ampere everywhere.
We only use "gram" when cooking, like "200g of butter".

When trying to fit in on Sup Forums and talking about screen sizes

My point was that in day to day life, we are metric in name only. Sure, we have to print litres on our milk and such, but no one uses them.

Also rims for some reason and wooden beams

The only metric thing we do not use is multiples of seconds in time.

Here in France a minute is 60 seconds and an hour is 60 minutes.
Ha and yeah, if you take 24 hours we call that "a day".

That's not something to be proud of

we use metric when cooking too, since most recipes are written using metric measurements.

Never. I dont even know how what they represent.

Never, unless it\s an object that has a shart unit in its name, like monitors.

For wooden beams we count in "steres" which is just a fancy way to call a meter cube.

We could count in faggots, but that would be too much pain in the ass with all the huge faggots around.

Well, I'm afraid you're the only one who seems to take pride in a measurement system.

Boeing technical documentation has inches

As we use inches for diameters and thats it.

Personally I love inches for diy projects.

Butchers in the Netherlands can use pounds and ounces to weigh meat.
But they are Dutch pounds and ounces, and not English ones, which we officially stopped using in 1937.
And Im not sure how much it is.

And monitors can be in inches.

Thats all I can think of.

People who put man on the moon used metrics.

Only if I'm ordering a pint

Enjoy your bugs when writing software for aviation and NASA.

You mean Korolev? Yeah, sure.

>you're the only one who seems to take pride in a measurement system
What about americans? It's look like they are proud of all that body parts themed shit.

"Veliko pivo, prosim"

>comes back with 0.5 liter of beer
>feels good man.jpg

>he doesn't want the superior 568ml of beer
Ha!

I'm not IT.My specialty is aircraft maintenance.

I mean scientists

Those extra 68 milliliters are just anglo tears for not using superior metric system.

Calm down Pierre I know you're begging for the BBP (big British pint)

Pretty much daily. Metric and imperial are used interchangeably here. Young people lean toward metric and older people toward imperial but most know both equally well. Sometimes we even get weird mixes in our idioms like "a gram of prevention is worth a pound of cure," or "give him an inch and he'll take a kilometre." Our radio stations also have listeners on both sides of the border so temps are always given in celcuis and fahrenheit, rainfall/snow amounts in mm/cm and inches, wind gusts in kmh and mph.

I was just kidding,

I feel for you, I was in the industry of thickness measurement and those nasty inches were everywhere.

People who put man on the moon were Canadian and British and probably used imperial for everything except maybe work.

I couldn't hold my horses if I saw one.

There's a good boy

Ask a Greek how he measures work, I'm sure "hours of sleep" are not in the international system.

Our road signs are in miles
Our speed limits are in miles per hour
We buy milk in pints
We buy beer in pints
We usually measure height in feet and inches
We usually measure weight in stone

>Metric and imperial are used interchangeably here. Young people lean toward metric and older people toward imperial
That's the same with us really. My grandma still measures everything in ounces and pounds, but young people don't because they were taught metric at school.

>Sometimes we even get weird mixes in our idioms like "a gram of prevention is worth a pound of cure," or "give him an inch and he'll take a kilometre."
I assume you're joking.

>We usually measure height in feet and inches
This is kinda dying out though

>We usually measure weight in stone
This is definitely dying out

I'm not joking

Ho and BTW, I thought the people who put a man on the moon were the Nazis.

No, not the ones pictured.

Every day.

>Cooking (tbsp, tsp, cup, oz)
>Driving (mph, miles to get to x)
>Time (hours, mins, secs, month, year, etc etc etc--nature doesn't work in base 10, sorry!)
>Temperature (F)

literally hell

>tbsp, tsp, cup, oz
The fuck is that?

Everyday. Mainly feet and inches though. Everything else is metric. Meters, kilometers, litres, Celsius etc

This
I only use inch at rare occasions ant that's about it.

Units to measure BRAAAAP volumes.

>nature doesn't work in base 10, sorry!
Metric could use any base, not only base 10, common misconception. Many mathematicians are pushing for base 12 atm

Tablespoon, teaspoon, cup, and ounce

>since most recipes are written using metric measurements.
"No."

ounce is a unit of measurement of weight (1/16 of a lb). Cup is the main measure of volume, tbsp is 1/16 of a cup, tsp is 1/3 a tbsp. Very easy when you get the hang of it, base 16 means recipes are easily halved, quartered or even eighthed! (Base 10 can be easily halved and not much else).

>two scoops

So somewhere in America there is a some kind of a standard cup? The cup of all cups.

Base 12 is nice (already used in imperial measurement of distance) but unfortunately metric right now is hamstringed by base 10 which restricts its usage in the relevant world.

There's no way that "give him an inch and he'll take a kilometre" isn't a joke

We use tbsp and tsp as well, I didn't know that counted as an imperial measurement

>imperial outside of the anglo world
top cuck

>base 12

What a bunch of perverts you guys are. American metrology must be a nightmare.

Yep.

You could say the same for Metric tho since it's French but used by almost everyone

Yes, there are measuring cups. Usually 1/4, 1/2, 1/3, and 1 cup. It's like 250mL

It looks like a measurement glass for little kids.

I talk to Americans a lot and I want to make it easier for them so that they can follow my train of thought at all.

Metric is just an standar the whole world agreed on tho. Because it just works the best.

France probably had a pre-metric measure system, so had most other countries.

cuck

Yeah, it was an absolute mess with each region having its variations of the usual units

If Dutch pounds are like German pounds, they're exactly half a kilo, and not 453 grams or something.

In fact we had the same horrendous system as anyone else.
We had ounces and feet, all the trainwreck of nasty units.
Ho and there were local variants as well.
Thank God for Lavoisier and the french revolution.

The thing about Celsius too is that its based around water and it doesn't seem right really because you see these non-Americans talking about"wow its a hot day today, 35 whole degrees!" WHAT, 35 doesn't make any sense to be a "hot number". 35 sounds like a cold number. 95 or 105 sounds like hot numbers and thats what Fahrenheit uses. Ask a toddler "which number sounds like a hot day, 35 or 95", they will say "95" Only a Celsius user will say "35"

Have you ever even seen a foot that is a foot long? Measure your feet, they're gonna be ten or ten and a half inches.

Base 12 isn't in use anywhere. Imperial uses base 10 too
Glorious base 12

When I get a gallon of milk, when I tell the officer how fast I thought I was going, when I tell people the length of my dick(x + 1 inch)

Americans confirmed for toddlers
God that word is ugly by the way

>35 doesn't make any sense to be a "hot number"
Just use kelvin instead you dumb fat fuck.

You should use Kelvin.

>"wow thats a long way, 10 whole kilometers!" WHAT, 10 doesn't make any sense to be a "long number", 10 sounds like a short number. 10000 sounds like a long number, and that's what meter uses. Ask a toddler "which number sounds like a long way, 10 or 10000", they will say "10000" Only a kilometer user will say "10"

>letting toddlers in charge of units

I think you're trolling us, but I'm baiting.
This is such a terrible way of thinking.
If you ask a toddler "which is bigger, -8 or -20?" I'm not sure he would give the right answer.
Of course I disregard your arguments for hot and cold numbers as totally irrational.

>actually telling the officer how fast you thought you were going
>Anything you say can and WILL be used against you.

If I measure my foot, it's only "1 foot".
My inch measures "1 inch", and my dick measures "1 dick".

35 is a hot number when 0 is the freezing point of water.

You fucking idiot

"Hey, it was 90 km/h"
"-Ah excuse me officer, I only accept mph. And I was driving 80 mph"

You clearly have no idea what makes a unit "good" or not.

t. physicist

Kelvin messes up with its cold numbers since its still based on the dumbness that is celsius. And then you end up with hot numbers that are way too hot tbqh.

Only one still somewhat used is pound when buying meat from the butcher, but it's a "metric" one (500g) and I guess it's also somewhat dying out

>cold numbers
I want to read american physics textbook.