Man, in a world without HFCS, additives and preservatives, processed food of any kind...

Man, in a world without HFCS, additives and preservatives, processed food of any kind, where everything you eat comes directly from nature youd really have to eat alot, like, A LOT, and basically literally sit and do nothing all day but eat,to become obese.

Nb4runon sentence

not really

TRVE ROMAN BREAD

HE WAS A CONSUL OF ROME

I get a lot of my surplus calories from ethanol, I kinda agree with the Murikan user.

If he means hunter/gatherer without agriculture he's actually correct. It would be very exceptional to come across ecosystems productive enough for sustenance without hunting big game and a source of starch, getting fat would require parasiting some sort of effective social organization.

Calories are hard to get in nature.

HE'D FOLLOW THE EAGLE UP PLUTOS ARSE

no he doesn't he means post agriculture

"post-agriculture" still means you lack sugar or distillation. You'd have needed extraordinary genes in the teeth department to go through all that chow required to get fat.

They had honey, alcohol and a civilisation advanced enough for certain members of society to sit and do nothing physical all day long.

>honey
How often do you eat honey? Beer and wine might be a part of the answer to this. Distillation appeared relatively late.

no it doesn't' you are just making crap up

they have been able to refine carbohydrates every early on

oh, I c, if he means literal Rome Galen described obesity.

>you lack sugar or distillation
you lack refined sugar and have plenty of other alcohol.
Honey was and is a common sugar substitute

>they have been able to refine carbohydrates every early on
how? grapes and wine is the only thing I can think of, and wine is expensive? maybe beer?

>wine is expensive

not just sugar but fats, bread etc
all you have to do is eat twice as much bread as usual and you'll get fat in no time

it's true pre-agricultural societies had no obesity hence why modern diet messes them up so much, just bread can make them have diabetes

Wine wasn't that expensive, it was commonly drunk by all social classes, there was also bread and garum (rotten fish sauce) to provide plenty of sodium. They had processed meats such as mortadella and sausages, they had puddings and lard. They had milk and butter and cheese. They had olive oil and fried foods. There was plenty to get fat on in Rome if you were wealthy.

You're uneducated and should leave here since you're spouting bullshit. Fatty foods and substances have existed for a fuckton of time. Keep in mind that by the Roman Empire it had been close to 10,000 years since humans had begun large-scale agriculture. There was positively a fuckton of stuff like olive oil and fatty meats and butter as well as sugar and honey, a wealthy person who wasn't leading an active life and ate well would definitely (and we know they did) balloon up like fatties.

You would have meat once per week, if you were a pleb and lucky.

Sugar was an exceedingly rare import in Roman times, it would have been used as medicine.

If you were a well off Patrician you'd have your choice of meats each and every day. There were certainly fat people.

>in the first century CE, sugar imported from asia was treated as medicinal
Cool, I didn't know that.
We're not talking about plebs, though. We're debating the OP's claim that you had to eat a fuckton to get fat. You didn't, you just had to be very wealthy as mostly only they got super fat.

OK I concede the point. Rich people could get fat on wine and honey and meat.

But, those were the rich people. The middle-class was insignificant back then. How do you imagine the diet of the 90%, the peasants, looked like?

you practically can't get fat as a soldier or as a farmer, you wouldn't be able to work and wouldn't get food anyway

Middle class and peasants were rather thin till the mid 20th century, buddy.

The diets looked pretty boring, mostly bread, wine and fish if you lived near the coast, with vegetable soups every so often. Basically wine or beer was a necessity to keep people from crazy. Of course every once in a while people splurged on a decent meal like meats.
Going back even more from roman times to somewhere like ancient Egypt, workers had a diet that consisted mainly of a bread, honey and wine slushie.

>honey and wine
sorry for being anal about this, but ancient egypt was about wheat fermentation for the masses. wine and honey are luxuries.

Well, I was just regurgitating something I read a long time ago, so I'll defer that one to you. In any case, alcohol was a staple in basically every diet in the world.

Wealthy Romans used to eat a lot of honey. Apicius for example includes it in every fucking dessert dish.
(Fuck, they had even artificial sweeteners.)

>teeth like in pic related are not normal
>being an obese motherf*cker is nothing special

EXPLAIN

Depends on the food culture. For example, non-vegan Indian food is incredibly calorie dense even without processed crap, same goes for some pacific islander cultures that rely on things like taro, cassava, and pork. It's just that food wasn't so plentiful back in the day, so it was difficult to eat enough to get fat.

FOR TRVE ROMANS

>garum

I didnt know Yamok sauce was real