Carl Sagan thread

> reminder that Contact is better than Arrival
> reminder that nu-cosmos is shit

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uEEb6mQtHE0
askamathematician.com/2013/04/q-what-kind-of-telescope-would-be-needed-to-see-a-person-on-a-planet-in-a-different-solar-system/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Contact was good. Arrival is also good. I like space.

> reminder that nu-cosmos is shit
das raciss

You know what really clonks my bonkers? the fact that the original Cosmos had a very philosophical feel, and a very artistic direction. But then comes the new one, and throws all that away for "LOL SCIENCE IS KEWL YO".

I'm mad. Cosmos was my childhood.

youtube.com/watch?v=uEEb6mQtHE0

Interstellar is better 5th dimension kino

Contact is very underrated. It did such a good job of talking about faith vs science while being respectful of both sides. Kino tbqh.

New cosmos I enjoyed the visuals but it missed the heart. Sagan is kinda the Lord of fedoras, but he really was an extraordinary person. Wish he was still around, old Cosmos is still comfy as fuck.

THOSE AREN'T ALIENS.

Whatever Youtuber made that is retarded

>nu-cosmos is shit

It really is.

I think one big problem is that Tyson's personality is so fake and affected compared to the blustering blowhard he is IRL, but Carl was always Carl.

Problem with contact was that cartoon villain who tried to sabotage the launch

Will we ever have telescopes powerful enough that we can see the surfaces of planets down to the inch from many light years away?

What will it take to create one that can?

The largest optical telescope on earth has a diameter of 10m, If you wanted to see the American flag on the moon you would need one with a diameter of 200m, now extrapolate that to an exo planet multiple light years away

Surely there must be some way. Maybe a breakthrough in optics technology? Fuck man, this isn't good enough. I want to see my ayylium space waifu already.

Unless you break the laws of physics no it is not possible.
Interestingly enough two of the largest earth based telescopes in Hawaii are named "Keck1" and "Keck 2"

"So, to answer a somewhat more detailed question; to get a picture of an alien that’s person-sized, standing on a world 20 light years away, so that it takes up one pixel in the image, using an exposure time of about one second, would require an array of telescopes with exposed mirrors and lenses with an area totaling more than several thousand times the Earth’s surface area and spread out over a region about the size of Earth’s orbit."

askamathematician.com/2013/04/q-what-kind-of-telescope-would-be-needed-to-see-a-person-on-a-planet-in-a-different-solar-system/

Shit. Guess we're just going to have to keep hoping for controlled wormholes.

Or some civilization that sent out a colony ship a while back in our direction.

Too bad the moon landing was faked and the 2018 SpaceX tourists are going to die

How come that faggot couldn't bring himself to say that we are made up of the ashes and dust from exploded super novas? Why did he have to make up the term "star stuff" instead?

nu-cosmos relies on CGI too much and Tyson is substantially less charismatic

>relies on CGI too much

This makes no sense in context. You're a fucking idiot.

>reminder that Contact is better than Arrival

i seriously dont get why people here like Contact so much its fucking lame and while i did like arrival it wasnt that much better

>too much CGI
Yeah, why can't Tyson actually go to different planets and inside black holes instead of just doing it on greenscreen? What a hack!

Give some reasons for your stances bro

yeah they'll "die" and then start new lives under assumed names