How did they get away with this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=l0vIYoY1ogE
youtube.com/watch?v=OPgId7RgQ2E
youtube.com/watch?v=GCxDrfs4GtM
youtube.com/watch?v=SPlQpGeTbIE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It was pre social media boom

if it is clear that the thing being mocked is not blacks, then they have a chance of getting away with it.

here, the subject of ridicule is actors taking themselves to seriously, going too far for a role
(they compounded this with 'never go full retard')

30 rock got away with some black face too, in a similar way

that and everybody loved ironman.

>tfw he got a supporting oscar nom for this

Tropic Thunder was so fucking hilarious. Haven't watched it in years. I need to revisit it.

I'M A DUDE

youtube.com/watch?v=l0vIYoY1ogE

Because it was a comedy, you absolute dumbass. How could you possibly be this fucking retarded?

PLAYING A DUDE

DISGUISED AS

It was really really funny

ANOTHER DUBS

ANOTHER DUDE

OFF BY TEN

But he was fucking amazing in the movie, what are (you) talking about?

Kirk Lazarus just is that good.

Ben Stiller is a Jew, he can do what he likes.

I'm more surprised they got away with this.

This is unironically Cruise's best performance.

100% true - also checked

This makeup is so good that I can only see a little of RDJ.

He legit looks like a real black person.

it was actually at a time, when rdj was considered box office poison and his iron man stardom wasn't his big selling point. Remember that the black guy that played rhodes in Iron Man 1 got way more money for the role than RDJ got for tony stark, that's how "low value" rdj was at that time.

That dude just came out of that Hustle and Flow movie he did too.

Because the character wasn't making fun of blacks, it was about how completely up his own ass the actor was. The character was so fucking pretentious and pompous that he thought he could really get into the skin of a black man and the result is him revealing his own biases and racist presumptions.
I've never met a black person who hated this because they all knew what it was about.
I don't know why we get this question so often here.

We all know very well that if this film were to be released today it would get shit on for having blackface in it, no questions asked.

Holy shit that's tom cruise?!

God I would like to see more Les in his own movie. But I have a feeling having an entire movie dedicated to him would ruin what made him so special.

Perhaps it's just best if they leave it as it is.

Tom Cruise should do more roles like this. I honestly figured out it was him AFTER the movie ended.

>I WILL FUCK YOU UP
>that silence that follows

And the uncut ver. adds so much more good shit, I don't get why they didn't show that in cinemas

They got away with it because it was mocking black-facing. That was the entire point. Also actors who does method acting.

I just thought it was tops they gave an RPG to a kid actor

You couldn't tell just from his voice alone?

It still wouldn't fly in today's world. Comedy or not, there'd be "no excuse" for it.

Yeah, but not by black people. By retards on Tumblr who feel the need to speak FOR rather than with other groups of people, yeah.

No. Yes I know it's dumb and it was totally obvious once I realized it. But i couldnt figure out who it was when I watched it in the theater until the credits.

Maybe I turned my brain off a little too much at the time.

>that scene where RDJ breaks character and smiles at the camera
I'm still really shocked that was in the final cut

>see tropic thunder at the cinema on the opening day
>the projector operator made the genius move of transitioning from regular commercials straight to the fake commercials in the opening of the movie perfectly smooth
>TOTAL silence in the theater because everyone was totally confused about the commercials being real or fake

Now THAT is an experience you just cant get at home.

GOAT

Yeah they did that in mine too shit shot was amazing. I heard someone say "How did Booty shake get past the censors"

It was an actual comical portrayal of a black man, and NOT BLACK FACE.

Whites and Asians tend to have trouble distinguishing the two. But sometimes they get it right. And this is one of those cases.

>Tasteful blackface

youtube.com/watch?v=OPgId7RgQ2E

RDJ's blackface was a reference to his father's movie Putney Swope where RDJ Senior plays a black 1960's advertising executive.
it's a 10/10 A+++ kino btw

>You're a great American. This nation owes you a huge debt... Now shut the fuck up and let me do my job!

Caught me off guard first time I saw it.

>RDJ Senior
>Robert Downey Junior Senior

I wonder if he was suppose to be Harvey Weinstein ?

Fun Fact: Tom came up with the character. Ben loved the idea so much because they needed away to have the film connected back to Hollywood instead of them just being in the jungle the whole time

Tom should direct . He understands Cinemá on an intuitive level

SJWs didn't exist back then

youtube.com/watch?v=GCxDrfs4GtM
>not being red-pilled on the "downey junior" power-famly

Same thing in our cinema in Australia. I was so fucking confused until Ben stiller came on.

youtube.com/watch?v=SPlQpGeTbIE

GET BACK

A different time...