Microsoft literally stabbing the backs of all developers

raymond.cc/blog/loading-unsigned-drivers-in-windows-7-and-vista-64-bit-x64/view-all/

>It appears the obtaining a certificate to perform driver signing costs hundreds of dollars per year and not every software developer can afford that kind of money especially when their software is freeware or open source. Fortunately, there are ways to force the unsigned drivers to load in 64-bit (x64) versions of Windows 7, 8 and Vista.
Read More: raymond.cc/blog/loading-unsigned-drivers-in-windows-7-and-vista-64-bit-x64/view-all/

Why are those monitors upside down?

>2016
>still using windows
good goy.

love,
Sup Forums

They aren't. HP's logo is always at the top.

If I had a real job, I might understand this post.

>wage slave.

It's where the secret spycam is hidden.

this is for Sup Forums you fucking retard

I serouslyt don't give a fuck.
Tell me why I should care.

it still kind of does because it's about business model.

>trusting microsoft
>still not using any linux distro
>2016

you deserve it

>microsoft forcing digital signing of drivers

good. I remember shitty chink drivers fucking up my system in the xp days

>It seems that Microsoft has forgotten end users when it introduced a very restricted module of driver signature enforcement in Windows Vista and Windows 7. All drivers and system files must be digitally verified or they cannot run when using both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista and Windows 7. In the past, it was possible to turn that feature off in Vista, but due to new kernel security updates, it is impossible to turn it off without degrading security and stability of your operating system or putting your master boot records in risk by using other software alternatives.

So what is the problem with digital certificates? Well, the problem is... developers have to pay Microsoft to receive verified certificates, and that makes many applications inaccessible under Windows Vista and Windows 7. However, it is still possible to turn it off by pressing the F8 function key during system boot up, but pressing F8 every time on boot up can be a serious pain in the butt. Others have found workarounds, but most of them are too risky and may trash your master boot records

fuck that

I'm a software developer and regularly use custom drivers I've made for devices I work with. They're meant to run in Win7. If I suddenly can't use or install the drivers I'm gonna be in a serious pickle.

signing is just buying an encryption key so that your software is officially endorsed as not malware

Signing is a sham that a lot of companies don't want to put up with. It shouldn't be a thing.

I mean, you're already responsible for what you install on your computer, why try to charge people for something that's basically a VIP badge that doesn't actually do anything?

which literally means stabbing the back of all device driver developers.

Does it prevent viruses and shit?

made a thread for this on a more suitable board

>literally

No, the "virus prevention" referred to is talking about how you can't get a virus from a signed driver. It doesn't make your driver safe, it's simply saying that it IS safe.

What peripherals have you created drivers for?

>It doesn't make your driver safe, it's simply saying that it IS safe.

I don't get it.

USB-based hardware controllers for proprietary industrial-grade equipment.

Microsoft simply looks at the driver and signs it if it's safe, therefor meaning no signed driver can have a virus.

The misconception is people thinking Microsoft thoroughly un-viruses signed drivers actively. They don't touch the driver, they simply give it their blessing. You are paying for a "yeah that looks good"

I'm using an HP monitor right now and the logo is on the bottom.

Programmer here, Its been like that for years.
You can still make shit though.
Unless this is a new nwo happening, in which case lel at the windows cucks.

as a device driver developer you're already expected by the company to NOT release a virus driver, especially from their official site. I mean that's literally PR meltdown.

But nooo, microsoft had to increase that bullshit with signing your driver to microsoft which literally mean nothing apart from something like "okay, this driver will not shame your company".

Does it matter? You can just have it flip the image in settings.

it costs a couple hundred to release software on apples app store. though a year ago they lowered it to 100 cross platform.
this is a backwards way of paying for the college you actually used in your education to get a job

just one question

can it run the usual *.exe files from games and shit? does it run LOL, dota 1, dota2 and many other fps games smoothly?

Thought the price for the apple store shit was because apple charged people for the rights to use the api, and the devs were trying to get their money back.

Microsofts api is free, aswell as several sdks.

Cant believe anyone pays for any of this shit desu

what exactly are you coding that you need ring0 access user?

I'm fucking done with Microsoft. Will consider Mac over them even though tey're california scum

not coding anything. just an internet cafe owner. it does thrive from the normalfag things like facebook, youtube, some googling and a lot of games.

but I wonder if linux will work in diskless mode. serious headache incoming.

Maybe I'm missing the point. Why would an internet cafe owner care about using unsigned drivers?

File extensions like that are a windows concept. executable are just a name on linux, but you can name it *.exe if it makes you feel better.

The short answer is no but kinda. The .exe file is specific to windows and it calls out to windows specific functions. It also is structured in an entirely different way that is garbage to a different OS.
There are programs like wine that will run .exe files by emulating windows or some shit, but I imagine the lag would be insane if it even worked.
There are linux versions of allot of stuff, like firefox or cd burning software, but because games are targeted at the same demographic as windows users, there isnt too much games for linux. There has been a push recently for games on linux and its going mainstream now. I was playing halflife on Linux not too long ago.
It was lagging like shit, but I dotn know if it was because of being on linux or if it was because my pc is old as shit and video card is useless and defective.
>tfw terminal only uses >43 mb of ram
>tfw idle with a de running only uses 500 mb of ram
>mfw I get on windows and idle on desktop is using >5 GB of ram, wtf microshaft

If you look closely the "hp" logo is still the right way so these monitors do in fact have their logo at the top

/thread

the cafe itself isn't a problem. well they're running in winxp/7. the problem is in the server. let's just say I bought something for the server that required the bullshit driver signature.

>he thinks mac is an operatiing system,and you that a pc is not a mac

>let's just say I bought something for the server that required the bullshit driver signature.

why in fucks name would you run a windows server?
Literally noone does that. You can probably count the number of places that actually do.

pretty much this

Just throw Arch on there or something and tell windows to fuck off

>running a server on windows

why?

depends what you want your server to do. Most places still need to run Winblows for their domain controllers so that they can have an Active Directory domain services setup. But even that can be done in other ways. What blows my mind are people who still want to run IIS so they can server some PHP-driven site. fucking cucks.

> Updated 4 years ago
why are you even posting this you faggot

Programs can be found in a repository sort of like an app store. They can be fun from an icon but .exe is a Windows structure.

There are a decent amount of games available for Linux and Steam is making strides for this as well. The less that idiots go to Windows 10 and the more that use Linux/SteamOS/Chromebooks/Tablets etc the more developers will change their ways.

I use W7 for games until they break the OS.

fucking hate idiots that rice the shit out of websites and and kill their bandwidth and then bitch about needing adds to fund a site

But user, the only other option besides windows 10 is mac. Well guess your right, you get what you pay for. Off to the mac store now!

>using arch
>having a reliable server
Pick one. Bleeding edge distros aren't that suitable for servers.

then it goes to /biz/

Fucking jejemon bilibinos get out

Signing a driver makes it less likely you'll install counterfeit drivers, that's it.

So if you download an "nvidia" driver that isn't signed by nvidia, then you know its fake and probably a virus.

There are times though that you have to install unsigned drivers because they are made by very small companies for devices, or custom drivers that you might make yourself.

Removing this option entirely is fucking retarded.

This isn't what the word "literally" means.
You'll never have a capacity for logic with such an impacted adult vocabulary.

>Just throw Arch on there
But we want it to have some uptime, user.