Linguist here, is this the show with the absolute best dialog ever created...

Linguist here, is this the show with the absolute best dialog ever created? The things these writers did with language are unbelievable.

The way they transformed English (a language with articles) to be closer to Latin(a language with cases)? Top-notch work. I would have said it was impossible to do if I hadn't heard it with my own ears.

bump? can op even bump in current year? i can't believe there are no linguists on Sup Forums

well fuck you then. i'll post this thread later tonight when my euro friends are off work.

Black Sails has great script too. It somtimes go over the top tho, Shakesperean lines coming from whores and pirates

more like cucktore amirite

Wuz dat mean senpai?

Yes. I noticed this too. It's just a shame the plot never kept me iinterested enough to follow. it.
Still, the two are on different levels. Spartacus is a complete transformation of the English language. Black Sails just has a gorgeous script

I can't tell if this is supposed to be Orkish or Ebonics. Being from Eastern Europe, I can't tell the difference between blacks and Orks either.

orks know what menu is, i don't think blacks do

always thought that line was weird. even as an ESL teenager. how are orcs supposed to know what a menu is lmao. literally the first thought that popped into my miind while i was watching the dvd rip i downloaded from my local internet provider's FTP

You're going to have to give some examples OP. No, most posters on Sup Forums do not have an extensive familiarity with Latin

literally all they did was speak normal english while occasionally omitting determiners though

also the fuck are you talking about with english being a "language with articles" as opposed to a language with case? languages that mark case on nouns can in fact have articles. you might be familiar with a language called german?

You do know that Orks aren't real. I bet you studied Elvish too in your stupid made up hobbit education

my bad, you're 100% correct.
okay, here's a sentence.

Actual meaning: "You're full of shit"
Spartacus interpretation: "Words fall from mouth like shit from ass"
Proper English sentence structure: "Your words are falling from your mouth like shit falls from an ass"
Notice how in the first sentence ther are no articles and only some prepositions. That's because in articled languages, you don't say "from your mouth" you just say "mouth" and then tack on a bunch of syllables at the end of the noun (mouth) that signify whose mouth it is and what was is being done in relation to it.

Please furnish us with some examples

>Being from eastern europe
Fuck off I like my plug-and-play language with proper ability to emphasis. Spartacus dialogue is actually shit and sounds worse than how indians can't get their tone of voice of voice right

german is a language that is halfway into its evolution from an articled language to an unarticled language.give it a few more centuries and there will be no more cases in german. romanian is another language that's an example of this. (i'm not romanian)

That's the exact kind of trollspeak that slavs like. Also even the interpretation doesn't use cases because it can't because there aren't any because FUCK OFF

>even the interpretation doesn't use cases because it can't because there aren't any
But that's exactly what I meant in my OP. English has no cases (besides "whom" which is a leftover). What the writers did was amazing because they managed to literally fake having case forms. That blows my mind. I wish I was gifted enought to be able to write like that.
I get you, please stay tuned for a proper answer.

dude germanic languages have had articles for as long as they've been attested. fucking gothic has definite articles man. "articled" vs "unarticled" is not even a real linguistic distinction. i think all you're referring to is languages that mark grammatical case morphologically vs languages that behave more analytically i.e. english with prepositions. either way you're coming off as a real wikipedia-linguist here. i think you skimmed and article on grammatical case and now you're just trying to show off lol

>brings up "whom"
>doesn't realize that english also marks case on first and third person personal pronouns ("I" and "he" nominative; "me" and "him" accusative)
yeah you've definitely got no idea what you're talking about my dude

REMOVE COCK FROM FUCKING ASS

>languages that mark grammatical case morphologicallyvs languages that behave more analytically i.e. english with prepositions
yes, that is exactly what i mean. i just didn't frame it in that way because it's incomprehensible to outsiders. you're right i never knew about other germanic languages always using both. i'll look into that.

how does this hold up to the kubrick master piece?

what? why are you acting like that? i know about me/him. was i supposed to bring up every single example of english using cases in my post? seems like you're just trying to prop yourself up by insulting me.

>What the writers did was amazing because they managed to literally fake having case forms. That blows my mind. I wish I was gifted enought to be able to write like that.

I hardly recognize what you're talking about ITT, but do you think you're maybe reading a little too much into what might have rather been a creative and educated method of making English sound more "latiny"?

Hey OP. Where can I learn about English grammar and stuff?

I remember starting this just after Rome and being immediately put off with the first episode. It gets much better, but the first few were a total slog.

>plug-and-play language with proper ability to emphasis
this is a perfect way to phrase it. in my mind, languages that use articles are literally doing that, while languages that use case forms are more complex.
> Spartacus dialogue is actually shit and sounds worse than how indians can't get their tone of voice of voice right
disagree
>indians can't get their tone of voice of voice right
i noticed this while playing AC3. i just assumed they hired bad voice actors. can you tell me more about this phenomenon? do indian actors have troubles with their tone of voice?

Yea the first episode is shit. I only carried on with the urging of the good anons from Sup Forums.

I don't know man, it's possible. Seems way too clever to be anything other than intended. Part of the reason I made this thread was in the hopes of finding someone more knowledgable to tell me more about the writers.

Well, if you fail this time, don't be discouraged. Maybe try again at a later date, or at different hours. Sup Forums is a pretty big board (4u).

Also, answer my question: do you have recommendations for someone interested in learning more about English grammar and whatnot?

Sure. Do you mean literally learn more about English grammar itself or learn how English grammar relates and differs to other languages?

No sense in trying to learn how English compares to Latin when I don't know jack about English or Latin kek. I want to start with English

>start watching spartagoose yesterday
>they use "feet" to measure height

fuck the what i like latin now

Honestly, strictly for grammar rules anything will do, Any English grammar book you can get your hands on willl work forr you. English majors just read literary classics. If English isn't your first language, my advice is to get a notebook and compare the way English relays information compared to your language. I'm going to give you a small example to show what I mean.

In English you say "I live next to Ivan's block"
But in a language with case forms you would say "I live next to the Ivan block". Meaning I live next to the block that is characterized by the fact that Ivan lives in it.

So, technically speaking both sentences mean the same thing, but they're different. Just use the same methodology to discover the differences between English and your language.

When? I don't remember this at all.

second or third episode. the guy with the fugitive tattoo talks about some legend about a giant gladiator "ten feet tall".

Alright, thanks. English is first language

Welp. Sounds convincing. I guess they just didn't bother with that sort of stuff. btw, this show is made in Straya or New Zealand (I forgot which). Don''t those two use the metric system?

No problem. Sorry I couldn't give you more specific information. The true insights about language appear when you're studying a different one.

Everyone does except america and like two other third world countries

Right. So why say "10 feet" then? I think the phrase "10 feet" has become a meme because of English dominance.. I distinctly remember having heard it before on cartonn network or in some movie.

bumperino

Romans used feet. That what led to the imperial system. The length isn't exactly the same as the English ft but it is close. I read some roman historian or general who wrote the ideal roman soldier was 6 ft tall and solidly built and the translator noted that 6 ft in roman ft was 5'10 in modern ft.

>dude got in rome lmao

what was meant by this?

r.i.p Andy Whitfield :(

>Linguist here, is this the show with the absolute best dialog ever created
No, this is.

Spartacus is definitely up there but the way that Deadwood handled the language of its period is absolutely fucking fascinating. Best writing of all time, hands down.

It's on my list. I only avoided it, because the plot seemed absolutely boring. But the way you talk about it makes me think I should watch it.

Netflix just got his cancer documentary a couple days ago if you want to feel like shit

woaaah. my bad.. meant for

I study linguists and it always struck me as the most lazy, hamfisted, cringy attempt at sounding 'historical' that I'd ever heard.

Deadwood did it way better and with much more finesse.

that and add "jupiter's cock" every other line

wow so impressive

okay, i haven't watched deadwood so i can't argue with this but i will watch it after this thread. you fucking memelords beter not be joking

I don't care how young you may be or what style or periods informs your /lit/erary tastes, surely you've heard of David Mamet, used to teach theater at U of Chicago?

shit, i meant to reply to your first line too. call spartacus dialogue whatever you like but it isn't lazy or hamfisted in the slightest. hell, i'm tempted to say you don't even know what those words mean. maybe i'm crazy. but i can't imagine how those wods apply to spartacus

That's because your fist is of ham. Quotha! Also Zounds!

nope. no clue who that is

Nevermind. Have fun with deadwood. Pilot is enough to give you a strong impression.

For a linguist, your writing is still fucking awfull

Removing articles and adding Jupiter's cock requires no talent.

But you like Spartacus so that's probably not something you encounter enough to be familiar with.

>it's the "we have no idea what linguistics is so we assume it's about writing properly" episode again

OP is a retard for different reasons

can you tell me what you mean specifically?

German is a language that is halfway into its extinction, REFUGEES WELCOME.

Please, elaborate on this. Think whatever you want about my skill as a linguist but at least post useful information if you;re going to insult me. Otherwise what is the point of your post?

why did you change the tense in the proper english structure? "words fall from your mouth like shit falls from an ass" sounds fine.

I don't think I changed the tense. Can you explain how :"Your words are falling from your mouth like shit falls from an ass" is an improper tense? also your sentence omits " your" in reference to the words so it carries less information and therefore isn't a correct translation

I didn't insult your skill as a linguist, I said you're a retard for different reasons. Can you read?

>the translator noted that 6 ft in roman ft was 5'10 in modern ft

so no difference?

Can you not tell the difference between simple present and present progressive.

Which is an aspectual difference, but still

kek

Look. It's siesta time in Europe. I'm about to go take a nap. I'm giving you the chance to educate me. I'm literally saying "Okay, maybe I'm wrong, correct me" .

Why the fuck are you posting these douchebag responces that say " lol u dont know? what a fag". Just tell me what you mean god damn it, Why are you being like this?

if the words fall from your mouth you can deduce that they're your words, no?

is this the spartacus thread?

btw this is an insulting post that tries to paint me in a negative light and ignores what i've said before

yes, my friend.. you are getting really close to the true nature of language.. language isn't supposed to have you inferring or deducing.. it's supposed to be able to convey information instantly.

ONCE AGAIN THE GODS SPREAD CHEEKS AND RAM COCK IN FUCKING ASS

No that's not true at all. Lol

Language does have inferring and deducing everywhere all the time.

>the gods
>using an article

Deadwood is god-tier dialogue too.

>pointing out a fact paints him in a negative light

>btw this is insulting because it shows I don't know what I'm talking about please cater to my feelings

Right then. I'm going to bed so I won't be watching this thread anymoe. Every reply from now on will be from a different person.. I seem to have attracted people that look like they were more intelligent than me, but they refused to prove it. I begged for a response, multiple times but I never got it. I LITTERALLY BEGGED and stiill nobody proved me wrong.
you are wrong my fiend. maybe it's ignorance, maybe it's you being intentionally confrontational, but you're wrong

That's because English uses articles you stupid cocksniffer. The point is, the dialogue uses them only when it can't avoid it, keeping the feel of Latin to the greatest extent possible without going full autist and shooting in Latin like Gibson.

"You're wrong but I have no evidence to say why"

Armchair 'linguists' like you give us a bad name because you push those retarded memes like "Greek people are more living because Greek has 8 words for love!!"

Actual experts shake their heads at the totally unsupported generalizations people like you shit out.

>the writers aren't talented enough to actually commit to their pseudo historical dialogue

>wahhh you're being autusic!!!!

*loving

You could see the potential even in the first ep.

Daily reminder to watch Be Here Now documentary (is on Netflix) to understand Andy cancer process. RIP Andy, such a wonderful and brave man.

This show is Kino, Kubric version is goofy as shit.