BASKETS

Is louie anderson in Baskets the best performance of the 2000s? Literally every subtle feeling the character has hits my like a fucking truck. Am I a homosexual? What makes this performance so good?

Yes, I agree. But why would you be a homosexual?

I cried like a bitch when the carpet master finally called her back desu

Listen to the interview he gave with NPR.

Just prefacing some expected Sup Forums criticisms. I don't know what the fuck it iseems but literally every time he comes on screen I'm absolutely enthralled by the character to the point I entirely forget watching louie fucking anderson in drag. I literally root for the character to be happy in a way I haven't done in years. It's just so good. And the second season has essentially pushed Zach galifianakis aside in his own show to make louie the star

Quick summary?

What's the Sup Forums verdict on Baskets?I've never seen it discussed on here before.I was thinking about watching it the other day but ended up watching Atlanta instead.

Anyone?

As op I'm biased but I'll give my opinion. The show is the creative union between louis CK and Zach Galifianakis.
, take that as you will. It generally centers around Zach as "baskets the clown", trying to make it as a french trained Bakersfield clown working at a bakersfield rodeo and his 49 year old childless, Costco employed "platonic" friend. The story in the first season is boring, but the humor is good, and is peppered in at a quick pace in little "arrested development" type jokes just humorizing the characters and their interactions. But louie anderson playing the mom won the Emmy last year and as a lifelong louie anderson fan can biasedly say he's a fucking revelation as zachs mom. And the 2nd season pretty much puts the titular character in the back seat to focus on louie, who's both hilarious and fucking adorable, endearing and tragic in every scene. The words I used earlier were "absolutely enthralling" in every scene. But I'd say at least give the first 3 eps of each season a view, because either season might grab you for different reasons, but the show never loses its consistently absurd but pretty identifiable humor. I will say Zach Galifianakis is both the least capable actor and least interesting character of the show, but he's surrounds himself with great performers and I think the writing is strong. But as the title suggests, I'd prefer louie anderson keeping athe least a couple star leading role in any future season

that slapstick fight between the twins was crazy though

Hopefully you can parse through the typos to get my point

its great

t. Bakersfieldian

none of the show was shot here

Choose.

mama all the way

Really great and unique.
Took me a while to get into it (about the first half of season 1), but I have been absolutely loving it ever since.
The show mixes drama and comedy perfectly, and feels almost frighteningly relatable while still being completely outside of my (and probably most's) everyday life.

Yeah I thought it was pretty well done. I mean if you slow it down you can see the quick cuts being doublesaid obviously but a lot of choreography and effort went into those scenes and zach seems dedicated to turning his time and Eric era dale character into not just being a shitty toss off joke as he tries to turn this show into something more than the between two ferns tim and eric shit everyone assumed it would be.

Op again, sorry for the samefaggotry, but I think that's exactly what it is. It manages to point out common humors and absurdities of life, whIle also enforcing the drama and emotionality that gives those humorous observations any weight in the first place. And I think the best examples of that balance are almost always portrayed in Louie andersons scenes, such as where the show balances the silly midwest type goodwill goofiness in the hotel with the tragedy of 25 years of loneliness, disease and fear of abandonment.

Baskets is essentially Louie kino at this point. All other characters are just side characters

>Literally every subtle feeling the character has hits my like a fucking truck.
Fucking this. I don't have a definitive answer, but I think it has to do with the fact that she has legit flaws and she actually acknowledges them. Her treatment of Chip and her overeating, she really sees them, but what ultimately makes it so tragic is just that she doesn't know how to fix them because she knows they stem from the father's suicide, but just like Chip, she doesn't understand it.

This is my last bump because I know the discussion of this show will not take off on this board, but yes, I agree. It is very rightful to attribute the complexities of the character to the writing of "her", her, louies performance, however you need to qualify it, as a performance absolutely inundated by subtle mannerisms and quirks. All of his seemingly off handed comments like "oh I love that!" as just a comedic portrayal of, however you'd describe him--a man in drag, louie andersons famous delivery, Zach Galifianakis humor--as a ludicrous depiction of a fat old comedian wearing a dress saying funny things. And I can see again the standard Sup Forums complaint that louie anderson winning an Emmy as just some virtue signaling, or whatever. But I, as well as my girlfriend whom I watch the show with--if you can believe the farce of a Sup Forums browser dating--actually watch the show, at least in the second season, as purely a dramatic performance piece by louie anderson that's simultaneously touching, hilarious, and honestly confusing insofar as it makes a couple of stick in the muds like us look forward to watching the performance of a fat, lonely, Midwestern portrayal of Americanism and basic humanity, albeit hilarious the entire time, by a fat old 63 year old male comedian. And though I doubt I've influenced anyone here to watch the show who already hasn't, please give the show a chance. That's all. Commercial over

You should've made a H&P thread, mate.

What's h&p? Horace and Pete? It will disappoint you to hear that I wasn't a fan but I didn't finish the series so I can not give an informed opinion of the show. Terse enough to say I was bored, a pathetic reason, but I thought I'd gotten enough of Louis CK as an author at that point in life :p that I didn't feel he was doing anything interesting by the beginning of the 2nd episode lol. But if a baskets fan liked it i may as well give it another go, why not?

The show should revolve around him.
My mom is obsessed with this show.
"user, i recorded it. watch the new episode when you get off work!"

>And the second season has essentially pushed Zach galifianakis aside in his own show to make louie the star
Has this ever happened to a show before? Where the main character gets pushed aside because someone outshines him? That sounds pretty cool.

It's my understanding that Zach actually suggested this. He saw how many people were touched by Louie's portrayal and figured "why not?" Also it gave him less work time I guess.

The great thing about Louie Anderson's portrayal is that he plays a woman that I think everyone knows. Just instinctively, most people know a person (or a sum of several persons attributes) that make up this deep-level psychological meme of a character.

Whats mind-blowing to me is that he plays this female character- what should be an iconic flawed midwest/southern mother hen role- better than any female that has ever played it. It's really fucking touching too. I'll see some of my mom, or my nana- especially my nana- in her, and it kind of hits you with this paradoxical heart warming sadness because the quirks he picks to emulate are so oblique as to remind you that

yeah. moms got flaws. she went through some rough times. sometimes she does silly things. and we love her not just because she's mom, but because she's that human person that you understand better than nearly everyone else in the world by virtue of being her child.

im missing baskets but i do really dig louis

my grandma was as obese as louis and very similar in that quaint old timely way

i dont know what to say about this show other than i look forward to it, and only it, every week

ive been a fan of zachs stand up for years and am glad he gets to shine somewhat