Why aren't there any comfy shows/documentaries about architecture anymore?

Why aren't there any comfy shows/documentaries about architecture anymore?

Didn't know there were any to begin with, any links, OP?

Nah, just memories from 10 or so years back. I remember seeing shows about buildings, bridges, and other shit like that. Modern Marvels had an episode on the Chrysler Building and National Geographic (I think) had a series called mega structures, and one of those was about the Sears Tower. I found them both really comfy and interesting. Those are the only 2 I can specifically name. Everything else is kind of a blur because I didn't record them, just kind of remember seeing them on tv when I was growing up.

Because shows/documentaries about aliens building architecture make so much more money

Ahh, I see.

This, normie interests leave the rest of us in the dark.

Why make those shows that take actual effort when you can just film cops, pawn shop owners, and truckers yelling at people for pennies? I live in YK, I know one of the "Ice Road Truckers", that show is more scripted than most sketch shows.

After 9/11 the Americans watching these shows just get depressed

>that documentary in the 90s where the lead architect of the World Trade Center is super cocky and proud
>that documentary in the mid 00s where the lead architect of the World Trade Center is ultra depressed and remorseful

He feels so guilty for doing an outer-core design. Had it been traditionally designed the core structural components would be in the middle and no plane crash could take it down, but for putting the structural elements around the outside to increase floorspace, it made it vulnerable to attack. The guy is just a broken husk.

YK? Is that Yukon?

True, the spacious design of the old WTC (something most people probably don't even know about) was probably a key factor in it's collapse, but to be fair, the last thing an architect expects is a jet larger than the current largest jet airliner in production to crash into the side of it. People also don't realize in the late 60's, when they were designed, there weren't any airliners as big as the ones flown into them.

A real shame too. I really liked the original WTC look and design.

Modern Marvels was/is? an incredible show. As a kid it really made me appreciate the amount of work that goes into everything around us.

Nowadays there's some PBS stuff that kinda does what they did. Though the most recent architecture related thing I saw was a local production on the architecture and planning of the city of Chicago.

Did you know they literally (not misusing this word btw) put jacks underneath skyscrapers and lifted the buildings up in synchronized turns in downtown?

He was probably depressed cause he discovered what they were using all the empty space in the wtc for (hint: it wasn't legal)

Read some Lovecraft or Dan Brown
>90% of the stories are about architecture and shit
>then a monster/bad guy shows up
>the end

Yeah Modern Marvels was always great. The narrator was the same guy who voice Calo Nord in Kotor.

desu the old WTC design was actually really ugly (I liked them in their simplicity but I find it weird that so many people in the city were so fond of them). They just looked like giant silver sticks of butter. Walls of steel columns, wide and tall rectangular forms. Not an ounce of elegance in that design. Just pure, unapologetic presence.

I liked the Twin Towers, too. I mean, they were probably considered an eyesore when they were made, but they were a part of the classic NYC skyline.

The Freedom Tower only reinforces the knowledge that architecture is now only going to be tacky glass sculptures, and how New York City is going from its beautiful yet gritty stone roots to the Starbucks and iPhone using gentrification ass wipes.

Someone invent time travel so I can live in 90's Manhattan forever.

It must've been one of the secondary architects you're talking about, because iirc the lead architect (Yamasaki) died in '86.

The Trade Center design took into account a collision with a 707, but the 767 didn't enter production until the early 80's. You can't really blame the architects and engineers for the problem.

tbqh the way the towers rise up from the rest of the skyline is so beautiful. A work of parallel elegance.

>The Trade Center design took into account a collision with a 707, but the 767 didn't enter production until the early 80's. You can't really blame the architects and engineers for the problem.

That was exactly my point. All of these obscure factors that people don't talk about are actually really good conspiracy debunking tools.

In the late 80's, PBS ran a documentary series called "Skyscraper" about the building of Worldwide Plaza. It covered the construction of this building from the original idea, planning, blueprints, bidding process & actual construction & shows the many problems of building something this huge in downtown New York City. There is also a book to go along with the series. The Twin Towers blended into the skyline because there were 2 of them-just 1 square building would have looked weird.

Yes goy it was the plane that melted the steel beams and totally not the squibs placed at structurally critical points by Silverstein

Why would they feel the need to place explosives in the building when they were already poorly designed to withstand a plane that size smashing into the side of them?

hehehee

>american "architecture"

>all of those grammatical errors
>that immature, forceful repetition

>it has to have literally autistic levels of complexity and detail to be good architecture

lel