Why is this show so critically popular, yet relatively unknown to the general TV audience

Why is this show so critically popular, yet relatively unknown to the general TV audience

Season 5 is the top rated show on Metacritic now by a large margin

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=K3LmjmVWAe0
youtu.be/px8h7v7PweA
youtube.com/watch?v=M6vPXjlOmhw
youtube.com/watch?v=cdDrzOqo4og
twitter.com/AnonBabble

we cant all be patrisiannes

It's not as easy to get into when flipping channels eating pizza and texting. You could turn Breaking Bad on and see some cool epic shit before a commercial break, this asks a little of the audience. It's about slight character and family moments, the minutia of spy craft, tension, dread, etc.

Wait the new season started?

Pretend you're a spy and analyze OP image for clues.

It's a niche show, the only people who rate it are people who spooge themselves over it. Furry art has the highest ratings of its viewers, but that's because only deviant furries look that shit up.

this

Unironically liking things is cringe

It's a show about 'good' communists.

It starts in July?

Good job. Now you are ready to murder capitalist swine.

I tried to watch the pilot, but it just seemed ridiculous.

Pound for pound, there's no real draw for the show. Sure, good spy shows are rare, but it doesn't really make a case for it being a must-watch.

Most other highly acclaimed shows benefit from relatability (the Sopranos-esque shows like Sopranos, Mad Men, Breaking Bad) or heavy amounts of action/thriller/mystery goodness (Game of Thrones, Lost, 24).

The Americans has always seemed like a cat-and-mouse game, which isn't really appealing when there's so much that is instantly watchable.

>americans

It's a show that you have to invest your time into and can't just catch a random episode to hook you in because you need to have watched from the beginning.

If you do take the time to watch, it's incredible. But not a lot of people want to

This Tuesday

>I tried to watch the pilot, but it just seemed ridiculous.

The first half of season 1 one is pretty good, but from the second half on it's god tier. Takes a little bit to find it's footing.

Her eyes look fucked up to anyone else?

>No one watches FX, or fxx
>You have to read half the damn show
>Most of the reading parts you wind up spacing out because it's boring ass Nina parts
>Even though I've watched since day 1 I have no clue what's been going on with Nina since she got shipped back to Russia 3 seasons ago
>FX is terrible at promoting it's own shows outside of the FX network family
>And again no one watches FX so no one sees commercials for it

Because kikes have always inflated the ratings on the communist propaganda they push.

It just had a lot of tropes I don't like that much.

>In your face affair right of the bat
>Meandering and silly plot
>Neighbor snoops their garage in episode 2 (little build up or reason)

The plot only meanders if you don't pay attention. The show has very tight writing and nothing is there for no reason.

great question op

its a brilliant show

i thoroughly enjoy watching it

cant wait for the new season

It is pretty slow at times. I enjoy it but I recognize why most people wouldn't like it.

Not him and I haven't seen the show, but way too much tv writes itself according to time constraints and not the content. So every scene may "matter" but they're stretched to fit 13 47 minute episodes over 6 seasons.

I saw the first episode of Taboo for instance, and gave up after seeing maybe 15 minutes of content take up 50 minutes, just saying the same thing as slow as possible and as often as possible

Not all shows show you all their cards right away user.

> Remember how last season they had three episodes that felt like season finales?

>You have to read half the damn show

if you find reading foreign subtitles a problem then you are a huge irredeemable pleb

Thats a cool poster

>implying Mad Men or Breaking Bad are relatable

The most important aspect of the show is their their family and how they deal with being what they are though, you watched the pilot and think you can critique something.

I will tell you, the show isn't like that and the pacing is great.

>all those goofy disguises like when Philip uses a moustache

I love it

how is mad men not relatable, i give you breaking bad though, walter gets insanely cartoony after a while, jesse's pure suffering scenes were fine but again, too cartoony at times

Too smart for the average pleb viewer, they'd rather watch American Horror Story instead.

Gregory is the pleb filter of this show.

currently watching it
couple episodes into S3

>that fucking suitcase scene

Evgenyevna best girl
Burov best boy
Arkady /our guy/

Man I wish I could watch the show for the first time again

>suitcase scene
>Martha's arc
>Do you have to make it real with me?
>the fucking teeth scene

is this show spykino? might give it a go then

It hasn't been memed to normies by Obama and other celebs

It's a show about the marriage of the two main characters and how they manage to juggle between their mission, their kids and their relationship.

There's still some tense action, but the writing and how real the characters are is what makes this show truly great.

>Matthew Rhys finally got Golden Globe nomination for The Americans

about fucking time

>Pound for pound

Every actor on this show is god tier

She's a qt when drunk
youtube.com/watch?v=K3LmjmVWAe0

The Great Debate

so is he, nh (no homo)

youtu.be/px8h7v7PweA

I'm halfway through season 1.

I can't get over the fact that the FBI guy always looks like he's half smiling all the time. Maybe it's the way his mouth is shaped, but that shit is distracting

Honestly i think this is the best show on tv

He plays it perfectly as a goofy, awkward kinda guy, almost like a non-actor, it's actually really well done.

>cringe
Hello there reddit

I knew about it for a long time but I just watched it a month and a half ago. Really like it.

I have to note though that it was my 2nd time trying to get into it. I watched part of the first episode maybe a year ago, and I didn't get into it then. That's happened to me multiple times by now though and with some of my favorite shows.

>I adopt all my opinions from Sup Forums and reddit: the post

Stan is a cunt

>You could turn Breaking Bad on and see some cool epic shit before a commercial break
I think everyone forgets the first 3 and a half seasons were 85% filler

>inb4 someone posts that Holly looks like Seth McFartlane in a wig

>characters talking with each other is filler

hyped for this season bros.

The best episode of season 4 was the mid-season finale that he directed. It felt like a season ender the way he built it.

That was an extraordinary episode of television.

The David Copperfield one? Christ it had two of my favorite scenes

youtube.com/watch?v=M6vPXjlOmhw

youtube.com/watch?v=cdDrzOqo4og

It's charmless. Maybe that's just something critics don't care about, but normal people do.

Is this another "oh no will the neighbor/family member/police find out about their double life??" drama for six seasons? I can't stand another Homeland/Dexter/Breaking Bad. Or is it an actual good show?

>It's charmless.

What a catty, sassy thing to say! I bet you were so proud of yourself.

They do not that play angle as a cheap trope, which makes it all the more dread inducing.

>he didn't take Russian in college
>he has a problem reading subtitles anyway
>doesn't know even 1 (one) person with an FX subscription so he can log into FXNow
Go back to Dick Wolf procedurals, please.

mhmm

Love the show but as if Phillip wouldn't be balls deep in that 16yr old chick

White trash Phil is the absolute best.

Maybe if she wasn't the same age as Paige.

He's all fucked up sexually. Sex isnt a pleasurable, romantic thing to him. It's a violent tool of subversion.

Yeah, he and Liz were trained but they obviously still have pleasure when they do it together.

Just answering OP's question. No need to be upset.

Which is the problem, they wanted something for themselves away from the spyworld, which made it hard to deal with outside entanglements. I really like how they've handled paige becoming a spy thing and not dropping the thread from first season where they agreed to never involve them, and it feels like one of the more real things ever involved in a show..since it isn't easily fixed and really is messy and often comes to a stalemate because neither want to budge because its their kids..

All of it even though it is an extra-ordinary world they built around them, that feels real.

>Phil went ham on that pedophile, tong-ing the dudes hand.

Yeah it was my favorite episode so far, and only thing that I like more is the ending of the first season with her asking him back in russian.

It really was. The push and pull of her wanting Phil to be happy and him feeling like he failed her because she already doesn't know that he would never leave.

I actually get what you mean. I've been wanting an explanation for my problems with it for such a long time.

I mean, I enjoy it. I've been watching it since the first season. But it feels really dead and soulless a lot of the time. Like everyone is just going through the motions.

If Russell or Rhys don't win a fucking Emmy before this show is out it will be a crime.

They finally gave Maslany one for Orphan Black, now these two getting Emmys are the only people I give a shit about winning any right now. Rossum for Shameless, too, but Showtime keeps fucking that show around because they can't decide if they want to enter it as a comedy or drama half the time.

I absolutely love the episode where Liz wanted to "do it with Clarke"

It was amusing to see them finally try sex while wearing a wig, but it also showed Elizabeth expressing some emotion, which is very rare for her. Seeing her jealous that Martha gets some part of Philip that she doesn't was touching.

>fellow Orphan BLack fan
hello

Seeing her go seductive to get that piece of him was even better since he didn't know what to do with her.

She wanted him to be in charge, but instead he rapefucked her.

Awkward af

The reason why he is so good with other women is that he doesn't care about them which is really weird.

He clearly does well with Liz but she wanted to see why other women liked him, which is ironic.

His tenderness towards her comes from love, respect and a desire to protect. Those are things that Martha doesn't get from him because in his mind she means less than Elizabeth.

But damn, he went really far.

I don't think he went far enough to show the alien, unnatural anger and violence he has pent up because of the life they've led and the disconnect it has built inside of him.

That was like cracking the window to look inside.
Or Phil showing up to murder a holy man because he's getting too close to his daughter. In different ways, and with different outbursts from killing and the life (Both of them usually yelling at paige for being an ungrateful little shit.; Phil with Bible and Liz at least three different times. )

I can't wait to see how Liz will react when she sees Philip's other son.

She went out of her way to get upper management to try and help his kid so I think it'll be fine. She understands phil's drives pretty innately.

I can already see Paige whining and freaking out about her half brother

She can control the young one, so having a brash older one will be perfect, she already acts like a middle child.

I'm just curious to see what will come out of that. He doesn't speak a word of english, what the fuck will he do?

At least Henry will have someone other than Stan to hang out with, kek

Poor Liz, she waited all day at his appartment for that

If you remember we already saw him in season 4 and if I remember correctly he can speak english but I think he has an accent, since the last scene we saw was him collecting documents to leave country illegally.

Yeah his grandpa gave him his passports and currencies but it was all in russian

Think they'll get a happy ending?

pics

this show is literally Breaking Bad 2 but worse.

wtf i hate this show now

Literally nothing like BB, stop your memeing, son.

This show gets great reviews. I might binge it on Amazon and then stream Season 5 on the FX website.

No ;_;

The showrunners said that they won't defect

If one of them die i'll be pissed