What's Sup Forums honest opinion of this movie, and why does David Lynch hates it?

What's Sup Forums honest opinion of this movie, and why does David Lynch hates it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RkQFhPJuxgk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's basically a quick rundown of a book with all nuance lost

I love it.

>inb4 book autists

It's a great dark science-fantasy movie. The aesthetic is fucking superb. Lynch has to ease up a bit and own it already. The shorter cut is legit great.

People saying its "omg worst movie ever" are bandwagoners and book autists who haven't learned how to compartmentalize and treat the source material and adaptaion like a complimentary package, like people do with Blade Runner which is about as seperate in terms of staying true.

It's pure kino.

I DID NOT SAY THIS, I AM NOT HERE

Because they interfered way too much with his vision. I believe tons of scenes were cut out and he didn't have the final cut

Strong aspects of the movie come from Jodorowsky's Dune, some designs are kitch or gross and last part was shit.

Both Jodorowsky and Lynch think this movie is bad, it made Jodo kinda happy when he saw this. He thinks the movie is a mess because it's a producer's movie.

Atmosphere is great, the esoteric aspects of that universe (Bene Gesserit, Mentats, Spacers Guild), are depicted excellently, and it has a solid ensemble cast. The story is a bit wierd because it focused so much on Paul becoming the Mau'dib, and made some wierd changes (like the wierding way being a sound gun). It also didn't flesh out the universe at all, so the Harkonnens seemed extra cartoony villians, and the Emperor and his court were empty setpieces because they had little context beyond "the emperor is bad".

The SciFi channel miniseries was a little better in that regard; the universe was fleshed out and decently depicted, story was more solid, but the ensemble cast was weaker, the atmosphere more generic, and a lot of the esoteric aspects of the universe were worthless.

protip: artists hate "selling out" and even worse.. getting caught selling out!

Lynch hates it because the Suits came in and told him where to go with it so he walked away, it isnt his movie.

It's a movie for patricians.

Are the Sandworms vulnerable to water in this film? I remember finding out the ending is Paul making it rain which would've killed the Sandworms in the book

As I said, the universe isn't fleshed out at all really, it's all centered around Paul and his prophetic dreams and him becoming Mua'dib. So if that rainstorm at the end killed the sandworms nobody really knows, as it wasn't even considered in the context of the movie.

I unironically LOVE this film, bros. Matter fact, I find it a masterpiece and top-tier sci-fi accomplishment. I know Lynch himself hates it, but I think it's because of goddamn Hollyjew scumbags ruining the filmmaking process, and not because of the quality itself.

>the mesmerizing, god-tier score that gives the film a divine touch
>incredible, expensive-looking sets
>believable props
>dropdead gorgeous cinematography, especially the shots of the sea and desert
>calm and collected build-up and pacing
>stellar cast and beautiful ladies
>bizarre and wonderful at the same time (seriously, that first Harkonnens scene is borderline experimantal)
>Lynch doesn't spoon-feed you to make it easy - we're dropped right into the middle of the big feud between major political forces with strange names and complicated alliances, there's so much mythos and wierd gadgets thrown right into our face, Lynch demands attention and learning from us, there's no lasers, speeders and quips
>fucking sandworms, bros!
>Dune is about ecology, politics, philosophy, religion, masculinity, femininity, greed, heroes etc., and Lynch captured it perfectly
>the theater-style of acting focused on dramatics was fitting

Sure, some effects were cheap and laughable, but it's no biggie to me. I fucking LOVE Dune and the way Lynch made it all serious and challenging, and because it flopped and Hollywood hates it, I fear Legendary is going to pick the easy route with everything watered down for manchildren and tumblrinas. Why do people hate this film, bros? It's beautiful.

Rains are local you know. They irrigated the planet in the books too

These, but less cringy.
You have a lot of valid points. The villains were one-dimensional, and too much was crammed into too little time. I've never read the book, so the gun didn't bother me, and obviously a fleshing out of the universe would have been awesome, but basically impossible. The movie focused on Paul, and regardless of the book, makes for a good movie.

Visually it's engaging, but they changed too much from the books for my taste. Turning the Weirding Way is a brown-note gun hurt the most.

It's not aged well either.

Fairly hyped for the new Dune movie though. I just hope they don't turn it into a straight Star Wars knock off in terms of plot though.

Dune isn't about a boy becoming a hero, it's about a boy becoming a messiah, because he's scared of his original destiny of becoming a god.

Paul compares himself to Genghis Khan and Hitler, and killed more people that any other tyrant in history by a long margin, burnt entire worlds and crushed cultures. His Fremen go around murdering and torturing anyone who doesn't worship him.

Reducing the nuance to a Boy > Man > Hero story like Star Wars isn't doing the books justice.

>No qt Fremen gf to share my water with

You know every Fremen girl swallows and tries to hold every cum load inside because the moisture is so precious.

>Rains are local you know. They irrigated the planet in the books too
Not from rain. By painstakingly trapping water and building the ecology from the ground up.

It's a half-finished rough cut of a movie. There are good parts (lots of them) but they don't make for a coherent narrative.

Best seen as a companion to the book rather than a standalone work.

>ywn have a freman gf desperately milk your cock for it's sweet nectar, longing for its nutrients and lifeblood, with all the force she can muster

It seems like a sped up synopsis of a supposedly interesting story. I don't get why I should care about all those weird characters spending brief time on screen

I love the books, read them before ever watching this movie.. movie was hard to finish. I can't look at it objectively because I am so invested in the books.

CGI was bad even for the time and aged horrendously. I wouldn't be even shitposting if I said I would do better CGI in Blender on my laptop.

youtube.com/watch?v=RkQFhPJuxgk

Cute pasta, saved, 7/10

>Piter de Vries is a qt3.14 feminine fuccboi in the book
>is an old fart in the Movie
JUST raep my shit up, Lynch&Jodo

/comfy/

Lynch said he made compromises on Dune that he swore he'd never make again.

It was his one experience with a big budget studio blockbuster type movie and he never wants to experience that again.

That said, it's difficult source material to adapt. Attempting it require hubris.

i'd say one of the top 10 worst hollywood movies

It's entertaining. The first half is legitimately great, the Irulan intro is my favorite intro scene of all time and has rightfully been copied by tons of other movies/shows. It became apparent that they ran out of money half way through and had to just rush the finish. Even with the half assed end I still like it a lot.

It's also worth noting that Dune is a pretty large book and most of the best parts take place within the thoughts of the characters and transferring it into film would be absurdly difficult, impossible to fully recreate it.

I'm so glad Jodo will never make his monstrosity of Dune. He was going to absolutely butcher the source and embarrass himself into irrelevance.

this refill my hope in this board

>the hobbit

please shoot yourself, contrarian peasant

He hates it becasue the studio cut 1 hour of his film.

so much bait! here's a (You) for your efforts.

Its interesting that Lynch, despite making all those pseudo-deep works, manages to miss every single metaphor in the book