Can someone give me a quick rundown?

Can someone give me a quick rundown?

no one can

It was fun, kinda cliché, anticlimactic ending

White woman saves everything
Niggers are human too

Nothing happens. No Iconic moment at all. Yet people say its better than interstellar when they were completely 2 different movies

This movie was so bad I am now death process.

Atmoshit + liberal arts autism

Arrival is part of a recent series of movies I'd describe as Dunning-Kruger Sci-Fi. Along with Interstellar and to a somewhat lesser extent The Martian, they perfectly play to the crowd that fancies themselves as (and, to be fair, may truly be) smarter than average audiences but are not as smart as genuinely "smart people." They are movies designed to make the audience feel smart by introducing complicated and heady concepts, and then holding the viewer's hand the entire way through until there is next to nothing to be left up to interpretation.

If you didn't already know the twist in Arrival by the time she was in the milky section of the ship with the aliens AT LEAST, you perfectly fit the audience I am talking about.

There is no reward for being smart while viewing these movies because everything is eventually spelled out in big fridge magnet letters. Any clever idea is made so transparent that even the most simple in the audience will get it. It also removes any reward for rewatching or trying to figure out what you just saw.

Granted, there is a difference between Arrival and Interstellar. I think where Interstellar was pretending to have a brain it actually didn't have, Arrival has a brain that it is refusing to let the audience use.

Completely disappointing movie.

Also
>so that just happened

Time travel plot out of nowhere. The end.

It's incredibly dull. They managed to make it less interesting than the short story which is not something I usually say.

Greentext you fucking fags

Great start with an intriguing premise that completely shits the bed at the end and goes fullblown interstellar tier.

How this movie manged to get an Oscar nomination is beyond me.

>Fuck you

Anybody else expected more from the movie and then when it ended you just said , and that's it

>interstellar pretending to have a brain when it didn't
>Arrival has a brain
You have it backwards man
Interstellar has a lot of handholding, but at least it's well-crafted handholding and is used for an array of ideas
Arrival is one half-baked idea about time and a slew of political cliches. Seems like the director didn't even try to make it work, ending is shamalan but even more retarded, amy adams was shit, the romance was shoehorned, movie was hot bubbling trash of the lowest order

I have a great pasta explaining arrival, but it's saved elsewhere.

Ended with "but to do that, everyone has to buy her fucking book"? Anyone has it?

I would add Inception, but remove the Martian. It wasn't trying to appeal to that audience.

This pasta is so true it hurts.

Arrival is a movie for smart (but not really) people, as condescending as that might sound I can't describe it any better. Literally guessed the twist the second Amy Adams started talking about time at the beginning of the movie; and I hated that I was right, and how the movie really had to hammer in how right I was.

Pretty much this.
also
>military are bad men
>up to liberal arts teacher to save the day
>we must unite globally as one people to end all the bad things in the world

>tfw too intelligent for linear communication of plebeian bipedal lifeforms

same structure : nothing happening, muh science talk ending up with a bullshit explanation, muh family feeling.
Only the music was good.

The monsters were cool

fun to watch, shit plot

>aliens come
>humans try to figure out what they want
>turns out they came to teach us a language so that in 3000 years we can help them out
>once you learn the language you can see your future
>aliens leave
>humanity has to cope with knowing their future

The End

Was there anyone else at the arrival site who ended up reading Louise's book afterwards? If so, shouldn't they have been seeing the future too?

I guess military people don't read books.
others who did posted the "solution" on facebook but noone believe them OR they also already knew how it will play out and it didn't matter

in the short story there are like 112 pods instead of 12, and it's implied most of the linguists assigned to other pods "got it" too, with one being mentioned explicitly

This is cannibalism

The time-seeing power only works for the present and future, not the past. So you can "skip" learning things like Shang's private phone number, but you can't skip learning the language itself.

>I would add Inception, but remove the Martian. It wasn't trying to appeal to that audience.

Not that user, but I think there's some overlap with euphoric STEMlords going on so the Martian counts. The guy who wrote the thing included, stroking himself the whole time and thinking "this would totally be me if I was on Mars."

It's a solid rundown.

The aliens are niggers?

>arrival
>any clever ideas at all

It ain't fun if the aliens can't have none

>time travel
no
It was experiencing time differently. It clearly spelled this out for you yet it still went over your head? It wasn't really out of nowhere either. I went with a couple buddies and we all caught on before the "big reveal"

We're somehow tricked into believing, that what we're seeing are flashbacks, but are flashforwards instead. The viewer isn't aware of that at this point. It makes us feel sympathy for Amy Adam's character, which pays of later. Suddenly, world's gone crazy over these alien space ship and the best person to communicate with aliens, is this college teacher. So she learns their language in very nicely portrayed steps and forms bonds. The bond becomes eventually so strong, it transcends time and space - she is given a gift of 5 dimensional thinking and is able to forsee solutions to upcoming problems. The gift is given to humanity in exchange for necessary help in the future, creating a time loop. But not really. The movie really teaches you to think about more possibilities to existence. To be able to forsee events in real life. Not magically, like in the movie, but intellectualy. Amazing soundtrack, fantastic sound editing, great otherworldly designs, very good acting, legendary story.

10/10

Lifeless and.dull. adams is shit

>Abbot is death process
i wasn't ready for these feelz t.bh lads.

>We're somehow tricked into believing
>somehow

rephrase this as "by playing on our expectations about story structure and time perception" or something and you get a solid pasta.

>learn new language
>see into future
>???
>profit from poorly written fantasy flick

0/10

I just watched this actually. Aliens perceive time randomly and their language gives you their ability to perceive time. They need help three thousand years in the future but teach their language to humans in the past. That's about it.