What is the best naval movie ever, and why is it Master and Commander?

Can you name any other sea-faring artpiece that can remotely compare to this one?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7PBIHkKi0wM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubrey–Maturin_series
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Problem Child 2

Down Periscope

>you will never drink mederia with the boys while gloating about British seaman ship before raiding french privateers.

Literally why live?

Master and Commander is a typical closeted homosexual movie.

Real men watch movies with women in starring roles.

Why, indeed.

London

Sup Forums would disagree

Well if we're gonna compare naval meme movies, then Das Boot is much better.

Incorrect

>muh historical accuracy
They had the balls to make a movie about relatively modern battleships, even leasing legit air craft carriers, not some log the British navy pinched out.

Safe and sound at home again, let the waters roar Jack!

WRATH OF KHAN

Any other depicting the 18th and 19th century? Other than movies from the 50s or so, not many have been made. M&C is by far the best, everyone must agree on this

>save the entire ship by spotting the Acheron through heavy fog

>hold your gun crew steady when shit's getting real

>somehow 'you're' the bad guy.

>What is the best naval movie ever

Crimson Tide

>You're a good sailor, you have the knowledge

>Not everything is in your book Steven

What did he mean by this?

Do you make dubs Mr. Calamy?

>Not hunt for red October

Anyone seen this yet?

>Can you name any other sea-faring movie of WHATEVER quaility

please. I'll wait.

tip: it's easy to be the best, when your genre is so niche, you're the only movie in it

but serious question too, is there ANYTHING AT ALL to watch?

Based Errol

Pirates of the Caribbean is about it.

I am surprised no one posted this. Best build-up to naval battle ever.
youtube.com/watch?v=7PBIHkKi0wM

inexplicably, this

woah, what's this? looks superb, thank you!!!

enjoy my friend.

>I'll try spinning, that's a good trick!

>autism
>bad guy
I think you may have autism.

I thought I was the only one who remembered that.

I believe he's referring to the seamen's superstitions and premonitions. The captain is kind of ambivalent: he's both a practical-minded marine, and a superstitious sailor in the same character.
When he says those words, he's more the latter, opposing his friend's scientific thought and backing the seamen's superstition.

And, the battle lasts for almost an hour and is extremely well done

The Pirates of the Caribbean series had some great naval scenery.

New pirates of the Caribbean looks shit

Bumpitty bump

The Gibson/Hopkins Mutiny on the Bounty
Given how popular those two are on this board I'm suprised I've never seen a thread about it

Great film.

>tfw you'll never be a British navy officer during the Napoleonic Wars

Why even live.

Movies that can at least compete.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Das Boot
In which we Serve
Mutiny on the bounty
Hunt for Red October.
Run Silent, Run Deep

You wouldn't last five minutes you fucking pussy

Not that user but, would you?

Not that user, but I would last till the scurvy set in.

Also, the novels are fun.

>literally applying a tu quoque
I'm not the faggot wistfully wishing to be something I'm utterly not cut out for, so obviously not, shithead. I just find it hilarious some basement-dwelling burger watched a few episodes of Hornblower - the most sanitized and kid-friendly depiction of that period ever - then wished I lived in that fantasy world.

What novels again? The ones M&C is based on?

Yes, the M&C ones. They range from Spy novels to Naval adventure to one is almost a Jane Austin novel told from the male prospective.

Ok it sounded like you were the one to survive. I was just curious

the original ben hurr

Can you name the author or the novels? I seem to remember it was on the credits, I just didn't bother to look it up back then, but I'll check them now

Das Boot

Bump for answer

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubrey–Maturin_series

Dude, thanks!

NP, might need to read them again.

i think it's more about how technical skills aren't enough to be a good officer, as being an officer also requires substantial social skills, or charisma. this is as true today in the private sector as it is in the army, or was back then. this is why management positions in teams of engineers or developers pay more, it's relatively easy enough to find people with the technical skill to work on a particular aspect, but it is harder to find someone who can both understand said technical aspects and handle multiple personnel and their work with said technical problem.

that said, the captain also seemed like the character who would have superstitions to a level, but in dire situations would chose against them if faced with a sound rationale.

That was really well put, user. Yes, Captain knows that only by keeping sailors happy he will avoid muttiny, so plays along with the superstition, even though might also believe it himself, he's just maintaining the order in a dire situation.
Also, in hindsight, the officer's suicide is a blessing to him.

yeah, the death is tragic, but the suicide is probably the best decision the poor guy ever made. it saves the ship in the short run from a mutiny and the captain from alienating himself from the crew. it also teaches the crew to not bully too hard, making it somewhat easier for the other officers that will follow.

No, I kind of don't want to.

Nicky Cage has lately been doing nothing but shitty movies, and this subject does not deserve to be a shitty movie.

>remainder of the USS Indianapolis crew mentioned in the movie 'Jaws'.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Das Boot

Only serious competitors with M&C, in my mind.

why cant there be a mount and blade style game where you can enlist as an ensign on a royal navy ship, merchant, or pirate vessel and work your way up to owning your own ship to run merchant missions or comandeer vessels, building up your fleet until you rule the carribean, also being able to walk around your ship in first person with night and day cycle and weather patterns. maybe you can go whale hunting too.

it would be very difficult to make a non-commanding position on a ship enjoyable in a singleplayer sandbox game. asscreed black flag was interestingly a great game for naval exploration and warfare.

i agree though, a mount and blade style ship game in the caribbean would be great.

also, somehow, puzzle pirates.

Watched heart of the sea for the first time a couple of days ago, the first third or so was pure kino. Unfortunately once the whale shows up the movie turns to shit, loses all tension instead of increasing 10 fold. Movie really meanders after that, a bunch of nonsense. But that initial almost half of the film with the setup as at odds whalers was fantastic.

Does not fulfill all of your criteria but you might have fun with Sid Meier's Pirates!.

Try what recommends, it about as close as you get to it, even if you start off with a crappy ship and move on up.

>YFW you have nothing but a beat up grain hauler to privateer with.

this.

Also, M&B is heavily influenced by Pirates!, so there's that too.

Not enough gay characters.