Other urls found in this thread:

graphics.wsj.com/catholics-us/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The world is full of plebs

Hugo:
budget: 9000 billion
box officeL 100 million

Everyone agrees the Japs were justified in their actions

I guess people nowadays don't care about a film about religion even if someone as great as Scorsese is directing it. It's a shame because it was a fantastic film probably my favorite this year (although I liked Moonlight quite a bit).

but there is an interesting question for me, as a christian:
would jesus christ denounced god to redeem the world?

>marketing
>too long
>slow paced
>nothing really happens
>expecting persecution of catholics in mostly catholic USA
to sell
>the posterboy actor is only shown at the end eventho the poster clearly shows he's just the reason for the 2 priests' journey

liberals don't like religious kino

No advertising what so ever at all?

>in mostly catholic USA
what?!

(((They))) made it had shit distribution

(((They))) also made it it wasn't even nominated for anything at the Oscars

This.

Honestly I thought "silence" + "religious movie" meant it'd be some drama about priests molesting kids.

Apparently it's some religious Last Samurai?

It was one of Scorsese's weakest movies but is being praised by pseuds who haven't watched many movies

I forgot to see it in the cinemas, that's what

>a film about christfags getting raped in japan
>long as fuck
>now playing in 30 theaters across the nation for two weeks

nigga

The US is not mostly Catholic.

I'm Catholic myself, and as a Christian I can tell you your question is impossible: it is by announcing the Lord that you save the world, not by denouncing Him. It is better to die a martyr and let the Lord take care of the message it sends, than to refute His existence.

What the fuck costed 40 million on this?

>Implying that Scorsese criticize japanese people

it sucked

/thread

Shooting on location probably, not to mention some of those ocean scenes

>being this much of a pleb
"Where was the drug-taking and the rolling stones soundtrack?"

Yes, but how about all those innocent people that did denounce God, and still got punished.

but wouldn't denouncing God be the greatest act of love, dedication, commitement and sacrifice?

the japanese have culturally cucked the world with anime and videogames

that's why you get so many people praise something like Your name while angrily attacking this movie because "the japanese did nothing wrong! how dare this movie show things!" despite it being the adaptation of a book from a japanese guy

>Gimme Shelter starts playing

Because movie goers are now mostly millenial twats who rather watch degeneracy and action.

Shooting on locations costs. Crew and paying their salaries. It is expensive, especially because these high tier directors work with high tier employees. Every grip, every operator etc. is top of the class and that means their salaries are pretty big as well.

If this didn't have Scorsese on the poster nobody would have pretended it was anything more than average.

Same reason why Ben-Hur flopped, the thought of going to a film that involves religious redemption/awakening or something to that sort is unappealing to a lot of people.

something about sex, money and raw hedonism like Wolf on Wall Street nevertheless always sells more

Other way around; if it didn't have Scorsese on the poster, it would have been praised as a radically daring, overlooked indie film that could have never been made by hollywood

Yeah that's why films like War Room and Heaven is For Real were massive flops....

Oscars

>be me, not an atheist, more like non-believer
>ask atheist gf to watch prince of egypt with me, which is god tier animation(no pun intended)
>gf doesnt want to watch because "it's a religious movie"
>meanwhile can watch movies like the matrix with clear buddhist views
>go to watch silence this year
>the cinema room is about 20/150 seats filled
>the movie is one of the best ive seen in a while
>see the oscars nominees for best picture and so on. none for silence. jew'd
>people are stupid. every movie has ideals in them. deal with it and see movies for how good they really are.

Doesn't really gel when Hacksaw Ridge was just as christfag and directed by the most famous anti jew on the planet.

Non-Christians didn't care for the preaching, and Christians didn't like it because he denounces Christ at the end just to save some stupid peasant's lives.

And now Scorsese's working for Netflix

Hacksaw Ridge was a box office success. The oscars academy needs to take this to consideration. They cant go full retard and not include something like it. Then, there's Silence which was a flop. Who's going to complain? That's right, the 1% who actually went to see it and liked it. That's just noise for them. Take note that Im only theorizing here. Dont get butthurt

>where is the teeth
>where is the energy
>where are the interesting characters
>where is the introspection
>where is the ethnic and religious introspection

Instead we got Garfield watching people die from afar and whisper

>>where is the teeth
>>where is the energy
>>where are the interesting characters
>>where is the introspection
>>where is the ethnic and religious introspection
Literally all present constantly (except the energy, it was slow-paced). Are you blind?

Everyone knew this film would suck from get go, just look at the fucking premise for fuck's sake

and yet Hacksaw Ridge won nothing

What a (((coincidince)))

I'll have you know it swept the Australian Oscars.

It was a personal novelty project. Those fail 99% of the time to catch the mainstream audiences attention.

Ya Naw
Fuck off ya cunt

>a martin scorsese picture

I'll be honest. I lost all interest when I see Scorsese's name and it's not about crime.

The first act of love is the act of Truth, wouldn't you say so? Getting something through lies ain't the way of God, as I understand it.

fuckin pleb

go watch After Hours or Bringing out the Dead

There was nothing visceral
There were no interesting characters
There was nothing new about the Catholic faith revealed or stated that hasn't already been explored in his previous, better movies

You can say the words, but they're all so wrong. If you didn't think anything new about faith was shown, that the characters were uninteresting, that the film wasn't visceral, I can only assume you weren't paying attention and recommend you watch it again

Abrahamics are a cancer on every nation they have ever been in. Japan did nothing wrong.

Did you even watch the movie? Neither Sebastiao or Ferreira really denounce God. That's like the whole point of their characters, and the movie also asks the same question and it's answer seems to be that yes, Jesus would have done the same thing they did.

It's about the silence of God, you hopeless pleb.

Largely Catholic but not mostly. Very few of them in the southeast.

graphics.wsj.com/catholics-us/

Jesus was literally put on the cross because he refused to renounce his claim he was the messiah and spoke for God

You do realize Jesus sacrificed himself to "save" everyone else, right? And not just becuase of his belief in God? That's the same predicament the priests find themselves in in the film. They didn't really denounce God, they just pretended to so they could save the innocent souls of the kirishtan japs. They actually understood that Christianity is more than DUDE LE MARTYRDOM LMAO.

Too much silence.

>"But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven." - Jesus, Matthew 10:33

>"I tell you, whoever publicly acknowledges me before others, the Son of Man will also acknowledge before the angels of God. But whoever disowns me before others will be disowned before the angels of God." - Jesus, Luke 12:8-9

Pretending to denounce and denouncing are considered the same thing. It's not a religion of concealment. You could argue that they shouldn't have gone into Asia, but that's a separate issue.

The movie wasn't even criticizing Japs. If anything, it was criticizing the church for trying to impose their beliefs lf cultures that don't want it. The argumentes made by the inquisitor and his translator were sound.

That was the reason he was crucified by the romans, that is not the reason why he died. Read a fucking book for once.

>believing in drivel written by the catholic jew

>an Oscar bait film with no Oscar buzz
>Screener leaked while it was in theaters

Pretty obvious to see what happened. Scorsese should stick to fucking gangster flicks, his the GOAT when it comes to crime drama and he's obviously way past his prime. Fingers crossed he lives long enough to do the Irishman

If a murderer holds a gun to someone's head and says he'll shoot unless you denounce your faith, surely the christian thing to do is pretend to renounce to save that life no?
What if it's a bomber and a hundred people will die? A thousand?

It's a difficult question because it's one thing to be true to yourself, but protecting other people is a virtue that must rank pretty fucking high
There is no obvious answer, you can quote scripture but it's not that simple when it's other peoples' lives that are at risk

>it was criticizing the church for trying to impose their beliefs lf cultures that don't want it

But the peasants did want it. It was only the Shogunate fearing possible uprising by Christians that they began the persecution and attempts to get rid off it.

No, the christian thing to do is to refuse to denounce your faith. Let God deal with what happens and with the souls of the victims, if you denounce your faith it means you don't have it and fear more the actions of a mortal

Why is god silent? Doesn't he want to save people?

god isn't a utilitarian, he's an abusive and jealous boyfriend that demands your undying adoration.

>What went wrong?

It's quite possibly the most boring movie ever.

faith is worthless if it isn't tested by doubt

Ultimately we have to save ourselves/want to be saved.

> It was only the Shogunate fearing possible uprising by Christians

The issue wasn’t the peasant’s religious beliefs, it’s that the Catholic Church was actively trying to subvert Japan to European colonization.

The Japanese had only to look at China to see what that would get them.

Yeah, lol. Never mind that the chink who wrote the book was a Catholic, and that, at the time, Japan had hundreds-of-thousands of converts.
Christians were burned alive at first, but tsurushi became the most common form of torture because it was considered more demeaning. Both Europeans, and Japanese were tortured to death.
Pic related. It's a Japanese Christian being tortured to death. LOLZORZ maybe if he realised that his culture didn't want it or something he wouldn't have been a Christian. What an idiot! By the way, the pit which the stupid chink in the picture is hanging over would have been full of excrement. It's justified though lol.

Why even demand faith? Just show up.

I want krishtians dead and anzu's tongue in my ass.

And how does god showing up prevent that? Hint: it doesn't and there is no dog.

>not an atheist, more like non-believer
Thats the same thing dumbass. The word you're looking for is antitheist

Maybe if christian missionaries didn't feel the retarded need to force everyone to think like them, they wouldn't have been tortured?

>be spanish
>be force-fed christianity your entire life
>hear that some japanese people aren't christian
>decide it's your duty to tell them how wrong they are
>even though historically, this always leads to revolution or war
>even after they offer to let you fuck off scot free
>get tortured
>"Im being oppresed!"

Some people might do that kind of thing for fun

t. weeb

you wouldn't say such things if they were "forcing" muslims to convert

if who was forcing muslims to convert? the christian missionaries?
if a christian missionary went to syria and got kidnapped and tortured by isis, i'd have very little sympathy for them

>you wouldn't say such things if they were "forcing" muslims to convert

You mean the Muslims who had carried out brutal invasions and occupations of Spain and elsewhere in Europe?

Tried to DL this on the bay last night. The 2 gig one was still potato quality. Went to download a different one and now the bay is down or some shit.

It's another one of those "religion really makes me think, but lets never actually go into pro religion territory, we like it more when it's ambiguous, private and hidden from the public eye" films.

So, no, I have no interest whatsoever in seeing this. More Hollywood trash.

Seriously, it's boring as fuck and I really like historical dramas.

Also, casting Spiderman as the star instead of Kylo Ren, was a huge mistake. Despite only getting a handful of lines, Adam Driver acted circles around the other guy and he should have been cast as the star.

>religion really makes me think

What's your point? A lot of Hollywood liberals who aren't rabbidly anti religion love to mention and "explore" it without actually exploring it. It's like an esoteric street cred project to them. Just like casting a nigger as a secondary character and then marketing him as the main one.

It's degrading and overdone at this point.

Haven't watched Scorsese's version yet but has anyone seen both the 2016 and 1971 versions? How do they compare?

lel this is so fucking wrong it's not even funny, you are not christ, and christ's sacrifice actually fucking meant something. If there are lives on the line that you can save, pretending to denounce god is absolutely the right and faithful thing to do, anything else is an arrogant imitation of martyrdom. Fucking read the god damned catechism and the saints writings you fucking turbo-plebs.

Normies don't like silent movies

>GAHHH LIBERALS
>IF IT ISN'T PRO RELIGION IT ISN'T INSIGHTFUL!
spoken like a true idealogue

An idiot with faith is worthless to god, how easy it must be for an idiot to believe

You would say the opposite if Driver apostatized and Garfield was killed early on. It's always the cameo role that kills an audience.

Triggered idealogue detected.
All films about religion are either this or God's Not Dead. I'm just sick of the same liberal ambiguous message they always peddle to us because they're not really making a movie about religion. They're doing a vanity and street cred project and go to big lengths to mask actual religiousness in it.

It's degrading for the art of movies and it certainly won't draw the target audience into cinemas.

>go see this
>gf falls asleep
>have to constantly shake her because she often snores or talks in her sleep
>at one point when i wake her up she stands up and starts sleepily turning around and swearing
>leave the theater as adam driver is being forced to watch the christjaps drown while andrew garfield is watching from a distance because i'm so mortified at her behavior

i tried to find time to see it later but it wasn't showing anymore anywhere

this is why i don't take her to the movies anymore i just go by myself. take a note robots you can get around the "no singles" policy if you fill out the "my girlfriend is fucking horrendous at the movies" waiver form

They show this in the movie... its kinda a huge part of the plot

>ha, I'm going to recycle your insult!
Your banter is poor but alright

Why, in your opinion, is the only religious insight that is valuable the a strictly pro religious one? Silence explores an element of catholic faith, martyrdom, and that is valuable to both people who do and don't believe in it. You could make an argument that it's specific message is redundant and has already been explored, but that would be an interpretation of the theme, and extremely subjective.

Do you really need a movie to tell you a religion is good? Frankly speaking, an atheist who hates christianity would only see the christian missionaries as ridiculous buffoons, so this movie is obviously not geared towards them. You at least have to understand and respect the faithful to get anything out of this movie.

>tfw the buddhists got rekt only a century later by shinto

What I say:
>all Hollywood movies are this same shit
How you strawman me:
>YOU'RE A CHRISTKEK WHO CAN'T HANDLE DIVERSITY IN MOVIES

>movie pays lip service but never goes deep into belief
>main character rejects all he believes, but does he? *so deep and original*
Yeah, I'm not watching this picture for the hundrteth time.
You're a cunt user. Til' next time.

Movie stared a Jew.

Stay mad Ahmed

I haven't seen the film, so I have no idea what they included in it.

>Silence explores an element of catholic faith, martyrdom, and that is valuable to both people who do and don't believe in it.
>valuable to both people who do and don't believe in it

Stop deluding yourself, no one gives a shit about the mental struggles you face in your reality-denying apocalyptic death cult.