Why is he trying to save people when he believes that when people die they'll go to heaven...

Why is he trying to save people when he believes that when people die they'll go to heaven? Surely he should be speeding up this process rather than preventing it.

Christian "philosophy" makes no sense.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmond_Doss
desmonddoss.com/bio/bio-real.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Hurr durr, why should anyone help anybody if we're all going to die anyway? Human "goodwill" makes no sense.

Little dick white boi detected

Well he's not doing it out of good will. He's doing it because durr muh God

To quote William F. Buckley, thou shalt not imminentize the eschaton.

Wrong decade for the Sam Harrisism, my wilty-fedora'd friend.

All people are sinners. Not all people go to heaven. If you die too soon your chances of getting to heaven are diminishing. Therefore saving lives equals saving souls.
See, it's pretty logical, you fedora-tipping retard.

Oh, I see. Doing a good deed unto his fellow brothers mutually excludes doing a good deed unto God and vice versa.

Makes sense.

What if you save someone and then they sin and go to hell because of it? Your post makes no sense.

Doing a good deed for a person for no other reason than the kindness of your heart is a lot better than doing so out of fear.

Not logical, the reverse is true as well. Living longer creates more opportunities for a previously heaven-bound soul to fuck up their chances. Also souls and heaven aren't real, you sperg lord.

>Being this dumb about how salvation works.

ad hominem is not an argument

Why arent we killing babies right after baptising them to ensure they go to heaven?

>than doing so out of fear.
Where does the "religious people live their lives in fear" meme come from? Why can't they just be good people, and have the confidence that they are doing good?

God I fucking HATE World War 2 movies that are not set in Europe. The Nazis and their oppression of the Jewish people and the holocaust is the only thing that matters, am I right? FUCK mel's gib son

It can't be him doing it out of fear if he's already a Christian. He knows he's saved, but others might not be; therefore, he is trying to save them both physically so that they might one day be saved spiritually. You seem to be thinking he has some kind of ulterior motive to saving these people.

Because murder is a mortal sin.
It's up to them, they have the free will to sin or not to sin.

It comes from the fact that the "heaven" delusion is like really intense blackmail. If someone was polite to you because a person behind them with a gun was commanding it, you might not assume they're naturally rude, but you also wouldn't assume they were being genuine.

They only literally belive that the devil will torture them for all eternity if they'll be bad, no idea

Wrong 2016 Andrew Garfield film image for that question

They live in perpetual fear of punishment.

Except seventh day adventists, like most protestants, believe that salvation is a more or less permanent situation. Once you've accepted the Lord into your heart, he doesn't leave because you fuck up later in life.

If the person we were speaking about was Catholic, maybe you'd have an argument. But he wasn't, so you're wrong.

But religious values are generally in line with societal values, at least when it comes to behaviour. That's like saying people don't attack you because they're afraid of going to jail - that's not the reason.

becasue you help your fellow man, you take care of people , you love people. Thats What our lord Jesus said "love your neghboor as yourself" So every christian has a duty to take care of other people

Yes, the person who is doing the killing would be damned, but he'd give certain salvation to hundreds or thousands of souls. It would be the ultimate act of self sacrifice, which is the very basis of christianity

Is this better than saving private ryan?

Again. Other than certain sects, most Christians don't live out of the fear of hell because salvation is permanent.

>It's up to them, they have the free will to sin or not to sin.
Same applied to period before they were hurt in combat, you're proving OP point

No. It's 6/10. Filled with cringe scenes and shitty acting.

This. I'm a Seventh-day Adventist and the whole Hell-for-eternity thing is hokum spread by people who either want to control you or cast religion in a bad light

>which is the very basis of christianity
Boy howdy!
It sure is easy to debunk an entire faith when you turn its beliefs into one monolithic strawman!

And it's still be a sin regardless of motives. It's all comes to free will. Suppressing other people's freedom is not "the very basis of christianity".

What the fuck would a baby do in heaven though? That fucking thing can't even talk or walk, literally waste of space and clouds. It would make sense if the baby'd age like 20 years but that's just bizarre and I don't think bible answers this question, I'm assuming dead babies just sleep in heaven for eternity, that's all they can do.

Except the Bible literally doesn't say anything about escaping damnation.

>Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me"
"Coming to the Father" doesn't sound like being damned for all of eternity.

Sin for the person that kills, but certain salvation for baptized child. If someone truly belives in afterlife and loves their child, shouldn't he kill his baby to make sure it's soul goes to heaven and ask God for forgiveness?

That is Christ offering life to those who are living so that they may escape the second death.

How do you not know this?

you realize that there are different interpretations of the Bible, right? And that each denomination and sect interprets it differently.

We can't contemplate what heaven would be like, let alone what the fuck a baby does there. If it's based around the idea of a soul, then maybe the 'baby' and soul are distinct from one another. Maybe heaven gives nothing more than a feeling - feelings are universal?

Obviously hat I'm saying sounds stupid as fuck, the point is we don't know what heaven is like so why discard it because it may not be good fun for a baby.

Where are you getting that?

As much as I love humoring the "different interpretations" argument, it's really just a clever way to insert relativism into Christianity.

Furthermore, the three major denominations of Christianity recognize the permanence of the second death. Read Revelation and then the Gospels and see for yourself the measure of punishment God bestows unto those who have transgressed him.

No, because God left clear instructions on this subject.

Nothing other than the fact that there is no escaping the second death once a man faces perdition.

It's a pretty well understood doctrine for most except for the Mormons and a few rogue sects of Christianity.

He didn't care about others people life.
He saved those guys for his own reward :
Going to heaven.

>As much as I love humoring the "different interpretations" argument
Is this reddit: the post?

It's the "Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Bill Nye are my heroes" poster

>the measure of punishment God bestows unto those who have transgressed him.
It's even shitty for the saved since they live in a city with glass walls constantly looking down on the faces of friends and family who were not saved unable to find peace or rest for eternity.

>christfags

That's so selfish. So much for Christian values.

D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D

We have no idea how heaven works. I mean if you're going to argue against something you think is made up, at least don't make something up yourself to use as the argument.

>t. fedora tipper

>mfw fides, spes et Caritas

How often do interviewers ask him funny question about "he..hehehe...you are working with mel gibson... ehehe...how often did he try to put you in the oven???"

tfw I'll never get 2 hours back

Don't know why I bothered in the first place, "true story" and "war movie" should have tipped me off that it's going to be the same old boring shit.

>We have no idea how heaven works.
A-user that's from revelations.
Most people have a meme version of the afterlife in their heads that doesn't have a lot of textual evidence in the bible itself. Most of it comes from medieval fanfiction, and then the revivalist movement in the US.

>the three major denominations of Christianity recognize the permanence of the second death
What are you talking about? Roman Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, and nearly ever protestant religion believes that "second death" just means "hell".

Honest question, why doesn't every atheist just kill themselves?

There's nothing to be smug about if you're dead.

Why would he be helping these people wage a war? Surely a true pacifist would do all he could to hinder a war. Movie makes no sense.

According to Christian philosophy isn't the logical course of action to kill all babies immediately after baptizing them?

Well biblically war isn't wrong, it's his own interpretation of the truth. The only commandment is thou shalt not murder but in regards to self defense and even war the bible makes provisions for it.

So much for loving your neighbour.

if you're a christ fag maybe. if you have a brain, no.

Literally no supporting evidence for anything you just shat out of your mouth.

it's even worse. ok in the beginning, but then it turns into a generic boring war movie with slow orchestral music and slow-mo battles and a plot that you just know was heavily modified from what really happened.

What are you talking about?

Yes, the second death means Hell, but a Seventh-day Adventist was arguing that the punishment of Hell wasn't eternal.

If your neighbor is committing vile acts and evil against the innocent you have no duty to love them. The japanese were killing loads of innocent people, oppressing people and doing all kinds of atrocities. I know a bit about the bible I guess when god comes back allegedly he's going to destroy the earth again and pit everyone against each other.

The movie painted the Japanese as very capable fighters. There were plenty of DUDE AMERICA NO 1 scenes but the Japs weren't complete cannon fodder. Bravo Mel.

> Bravo Mel.
what a cuck for asian men

>If you die too soon your chances of getting to heaven are diminishing
Show me where this is written in the bible please

Fucking heretics, I swear. They think their 20th century intepretation of the holy scriptures are anything but travesty.
You'll all burn

First christians were pacifists, and refused to serve in the roman army. That's one of the reason they were ostracized. After that they kept getting more and more laxed about that question, but war was always seen as something evil until the crusades, where the pope went all "holy war is the ticket to heaven" shit

Sounds like something made up by people. Mind blown.

You mean religion in general ?

Yeah. Lots of changes through the centuries. If it was real it wouldn't swap around like this.

Of course, and we wouldn't have billions of different gods around the world either. Problem is that faith is not based on reason and facts

Because to live is to live with elements: pride, wrath, envy, lust, etc. Heaven is paradise, but paradise found by surrendering every thing that makes you you. If you can't sin in Heaven, then you're incapable of things that become sins if taken far. The purpose of earthly life is not to die; it's to live. The afterlife is there, but it can't be experienced the way you might imagine, as so much of what makes you you is body not soul. You don't take your lust or your pride, even in moderation, with you when you go.

Even Jesus wept looking forward and contemplating his death. If you aren't avoiding death, then you don't value life. That what happens after death of the body is good shouldn't lead you to conclude that living is bad.

Little dick white boi is a redundant phrase

For the same reason people pray to a supposedly omnipotent, omnipresent god. Do they think god forgot about them? Does god only do good when he's prayed to and reminded of his power? Does god only listen when a lot of people pray? Do these humans believe that god's plan is perfect, and if it is praying for a different outcome is either (1) assuming your plan is better than god's or (2) you're admitting god doesn't have a plan?

It's all to make us feel better.

Jesus wept when he was crucified because it was fucking painful and he was a bitch about it. Also he was the son of a whore who lied about her pregnancy

Why do you post on Sup Forums when every thread will clearly go 404 very soon? Every single thing you type down will disappear.

Sup Forums "philosophy" makes no sense.

A lot of euphoria going around here

triggered christcuck

damn
if heaven is full of babies, i'd rather go to hell with the cool guys and bitches desu

this
it's on a post-it on the fridge

I was obviously talking about the agony in the garden.

Dear Humans,
Went to work early
Don't be douche bags
Love, God
ps. take out the garbage

Why does he save people when he clearly witnessed the horrors of war? Surely he should let all these people die quickly instead of having them all experience such horrible suffering. Not to mention that everyone will eventually die, probably very painfully.

The "philosophy" of rescue makes no sense.

>Why is he trying to save people when he believes that when people die they'll go to heaven?

What if they haven't atoned for their sins yet?

What if they have to then later sin?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmond_Doss

desmonddoss.com/bio/bio-real.php

He was just a coward who used the Christian shit as an excuse because he was afraid. His instincts took over in combat and he did what he did, but alone in his room days before he was shaking with fear and would say or do anything to escape, like a trapped rat.

kys

>doing a good deed for a person for no other reason than the kindness of your heart
This never happens.People do good things because it makes them feel better.

>helps human beings kill other human beings
>accomplice to murder
>its ok if its in gods name lmao
>mfw christians are just as delusional as their islamic brothers

Wrong.

Desmond Doss was not a jew.

The punishment is eternal. You get destroyed. Forever. Oblivion. There is no coming back from that.

The doctrine of eternal torture hinges on interpreting a verse from REVELATION and verses from a PARABLE in a strictly literal sense. 99% of the Bible makes it absolutely clear that the lost are destroyed, their punishment is compared to being burnt up or burnt away like animal fat or like wax, they will be turned to stubble etc. The Bible also makes it absolutely clear that there will be no sin in God's new kingdom. None. Zero. Zip. There will not be some little quarantine zone where God is incapable of removing sin and can only contain it.