Shin Godzilla wins Japanese Academy Award for Best Picture

bloody-disgusting.com/news/3426983/shin-godzilla-just-won-japanese-academy-award-best-picture/

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40th_Japan_Academy_Prize
allcinema.net/prog/awardmain.php?num_a=1702
youtu.be/EbNE57Q-qBI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Wow, how embarrassing for Japan.

WHERE IS THE FUCKING BD RIP SKREOOOOOOOOOOONK

Based Japan

>japanese movie wins japanese award

what a surprise

Your Meme btfo

When is a uncut version of the shit finally going to come out?

a better question is who were the other nominees?

Good god the cancer in the comments is ridiculous.

The Japanese Blu-ray is going to be released in a month I think. But they won't come with proper subs, so we'll have to wait for the official subs, which is needed because the character names, ranks, locations, and military hardware all need to be placed properly on the screen

So how long do you think it'll be until we get a good copy, then?

GODDAMMIT FUNIMATION WHAT ARE YOU GOOD FOR

I'm betting 4 months after the Jap version is released

It's probably a licensing thing, BDs in Japan are rediculously expensive, like $70-80. They don't want a $25 Funimation version getting reverse imported by savvy Japanese shoppers online.

I remember when FLCL was the new hot shit and you could get the boxset with 2 episodes her disc for a steal, when I looked over at the initial jap release it was a barebones single disc with 1 ep for 60 bucks.

Was it competing against serious movies? I saw godzilla it was pretty silly

is he drinking a bag of piss?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40th_Japan_Academy_Prize

There was Rage, which looked good. mfw Your Name got snubbed

Also, its hard to interpret foreign films the same way that the foreigners do. Godzilla is so engrained in Japan's psyche, and Shin Godzilla apparently expressed a lot of the anxiety in Japan in relation to the handling of Fukushima

>Shin Godzilla seriously was just a chore to sit through.

Look, I get it, you wanted this movie to say something again and at times it does have some powerful imagery and allegory with SOME rightfully earned dramatic tension, but it's mostly just a rather horribly paced slog. It spends so much time on the politics of the whole situation, without much of the actual intrigue to keep viewers truly invested. Sometimes it almost seems like it's a directorial exercise of how many different ways he can shoot people talking in a room and the back of their heads. .

Look, I'm not saying I need a mindless monster movie, I can appreciate a more cerebral film as well as a popcorn flick, but this political talk is done to such an obsessive degree that it's literally them mulling over every little detail for the most part without much at all to break up that monotony.

And I'm not even saying it had to just have more Godzilla, I would have voted to also have a pair of boots on the ground to view the destruction from a different angle, and also possibly bring in an element of personal drama for the politicians who all seem strangely unphased by the possibility a giant creature potentially killed their family ravaging through Tokyo. Just a different perspective than a goddamn board room meeting would have eased it up, and even bring even more of an emotional angle to it all. Like, that scene that reminded me of the Tsunamis that hit Japan a few years ago, that was powerful. Imagine another pair of eyes on the receiving end. But it's one shot after these politicians just like, "hey, look at this, well back to the meeting."

>Also, while the scenes with Godzilla are still pretty great, the middle of the film is where it really picks up. And the ending is just pretty anti-climatic. Yea, you can argue that's technically a little more realistic as not everything needs to go out with a bang, but is it wrong for me to still be under the impression that this is still SUPPOSED to be a Godzilla movie? Guys, some more excitement wouldn't hurt. Understand your source material's legacy.

>It's by no means the worst Godzilla film ever, but it sure as hell isn't the best either. I don't care what anyone says, but the American 2014 remake had more to appreciate if you ask me. It was still very much a Godzilla film, and when he was on screen, it was the Kaiju fights of dreams. But I also appreciated the pretty tense, horror movie-ish cinematography throughout. It's not perfect, and not even my favorite Godzilla film, but I was at least fairly entertained throughout. Like, 70% of Shin Godzilla was just, lack of a better term, straight up boring.

>And this rant is keeping my personal hatred of Hideaki Anno's previous work and sometimes himself aside.

is this a pasta or are you genuinely this film-illiterate

Yeah, not like here were movies like...wait, did moonlight won? fuck this shit

Considering and were posted exactly a minute apart I'm guessing they're both pasta

Comments from OP´s link

>k. But they won't come with proper subs, so we'll have to wait for the official subs, which is needed because the character names, ranks, locations, and military hardware all need to be placed properly on the screen
You're forgetting that this film is directed by Hideaki Anno. As if some autist Evangelion fan won't spend a month translating all this shit and placing it properly.

damn
shin godzilla's defense force is so irritating
can't take a fair negative hit?

I remember seeing March 22 somewhere. We won't see worldwide release until Q3 of this year. Fansubbing will have decent subs out for this within a week of the Japanese bluray's release. I want to buy this one legitimately but Toho sitting on their ass has basically killed that. By the time it's actually out I'll have forgotten about it or simply don't care anymore.

i posted before I refreshed the page

I love Shin Godzilla but it's got some issues, especially some dodgy CGI during his first and second forms.

this is essentially the explanation.

they returned godzilla to its roots and made a film that resonated with the kind of anxiety and fear japanese citizens experienced, and that really didn't have the same impact abroad. that's why Toho was initially skeptical of a worldwide release.

A lot of the criticism overseas levied that too much of the film took place in meeting rooms, and that kinda makes it abundantly clear that foreign viewers didn't understand why those sorts of scenes actually had a very different meaning with the jap audience.

Thing that bothered me was some of the sound mixing. I know that they used the original explosion effects and music from the 1954 film without editing it (because Anno is just that autistic), but its sometimes hard to hear the music over the sfx. Its most noticeable when he evolves from his first to second form, which is a shame because the music was goat. I wish I could find a proper clip as an example, but I can only find videos of people taking a cell-phone video of their computer screens.

it had a very small budget and tons of cgi, i thought it was very well made for what it is, but yeah, sometimes it can get distracting.

all the tanks planes and choppers were cgi too

Ha, silly pleb gooks. They'll never understand our true appreciation for cinema.
>jacks off to gay niggers having a hard life

desu, if I wasn't a huge fan of Anno's style I wouldn't have liked it nearly as much as I did. It felt good to see a quasi-Evangelion live action film (at least when it comes to cinematography, editing, and music)

I didn't have the issues you described in my theater. Music was nice and loud. Only thing it could have needed was a little more bass.

Literally Japanese capeshit, the hooks should be ashamed

I clapped when they played the Evangelion music!

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*gooks

Blue Ribbon Awards are always better

>phoneposter

Took the words right out of my mouth

kamata-kun is the highlight of the movie

And... Well Shin Gojira also won them so fuck my shit up senpai

allcinema.net/prog/awardmain.php?num_a=1702

what's with the eyes?

It looks like an evolved eel

its meant to look goofy because disasters often look benign and unassuming before they start

:^\

Anno is 100% my favorite anime director and one of my favorite directors period. My dream is to become as good as him.

;^P

Is this the start of new Anno kino?

Its the dawn of the never-ending production for 3.0+1.0.

Watched this a few hours ago
Ranged from fucking awful to pure kino.
Typical Anno

>I-its supposed to look like shit

Shitty movie isn't shitty because Japanese implied meanings and themes.

The 3rd stage design was actually great, it looked like the 1960s Godzilla with daedric armor on

retarded nips

Best Godzilla film of all time and my favorite movie of the year.

If you were bored you're a pleb. Simple as that.

>Japanese Academy Award

You must be a special kind of idiot

Just a reminder, when you're in charge of a comeback, you can do whatever the fuck you want

I assume it was supposed to look fish-like since it had been basically living in the water

>Made Godzilla's beam purple in honor of prince

amazing hahahaha

the source for that pose is great. The soldiers saluting absolutely kills me

The creature is suppose to look silly so it would make sense that the Japanese government would underestimate it. If Godzilla's first form was as disturbing as his final form was, they'd they would have just bombed the shit out of it intially

the patrician's meme-nipponese.

I just found out that Anno voiced Jiro in The Wind Rises
Is there anything this man cannot do?

my child

I still can't get over how the guy was in a Nissan commercial for some reason

youtu.be/EbNE57Q-qBI

Maybe if someone nuked US, we'd have our own Godzilla.

can someone give me a quick rundown on Hideaki Anno? How is even his worst work only bad compared to his magnum opus?

I fucking hate commercials

You know that isn't real, right?

how do you mean? The Rebuilds are inherently bad when compared to the source material because they do it no justice, but Anno's live-action material is underrated

SASUGA ANNO

That's what I'm saying. The Rebuilds are still solid action movies, they're just not good compared to NGE. And that's his worst work. What's his secret?

memes aren't real? woah

>japs are nationalistic that they'd rather give the reward to a shitty domestic movie rather than a good foreign movie

kek

I meant the beam thing.

>Academy Awards are almost exclusively domestic films
>they even have a foreign film category
>this isn't nationalistic

are you being real son

Yeah too bad they don't crave the muslim bbc like you and your wife's son as you jerked each other off when Moonlight won

>what's his secret

Autism and depression I think

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but america

every time

>being nationalistic and anti-foreigner is a bad thing
>you need to bend over backwards to foreigners!!!!!!

kys faggot

that was the meme i was referring to, but you're clearly trying to be helpful, so thank you user.

where did I say it was a bad thing, you god damn blithering fucking moron shit for brains?

They're called the "JAPANESE Academy Awards" for a reason, holy moly

No one mentioned America specifically you fucking loser.

you fucking nigger retard

you both said "moonlight" or "the academy awards"

you truly are a fucking waste of flesh

I liked the perspective of the government workers, their lack of information, the frantic and desperate attempts of doing something.. It's something holywood movies don't have.

>Only Jap award shows are nationalistic

You do realise that American movies have won the Best Animated Feature Oscar for 15 years in a row right?

autism, depression, but also self-awareness and a great visual sense. the guy was practically an animation savant when he was younger, managed to break into the industry despite getting kicked out of university

>japanese something something japanese

shit weaboo thread

>A foreign film wins a bunch of awards
>"g-go to /jp/!
What website do you think you're on right now, user?

it really was kino

Its a damn shame that there's no proper rip available. I'm pretty ticked thinking about all the anons who watched the 90 minute rip with the fucky subtitles

b-b-b-b-but america

Does anyone have those studies of Annokino?