Currency

Show us the coins you use in your country

What's the smallest coin and the biggest banknote right now?
And if you have old coins, post them too.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XBDpIHH4glE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

we just use euros here but our old currency (Litas) was so much better.
here's a pic of our smallest coin, the 1 cent (vienas centas) coin. you don't even know, how cheap it felt, it was made out of plastic, and it felt like it could be bent by a small child.

Could you do anything with that 1 cent? Did you saved some coins before the Euro was introduced?

fucking nothing and no.
and here's a picture of our biggest banknote, the 500 litas (penki šimtai litai) (note: litas is singular, and litai is plural) banknote. in my entire existence, i've seen this banknote only once.

I got the one with the pilots for my collection.

We recently got a new pound coin, which is probably our most common coin that people actually use

Will all banknotes and coins replaced and taken out off circulation once the queen dies?

Why not, though? It seems it was pretty cheap to save some of those. Still, I'm sure you can find some Litas cents for cheap in local markets.
How about 200 or 500 euros, have you seen those already?

It's a great looking note, where did you get it?

Our smallest is a nickel. Her Majesty on the front, a beaver on the back.
The Royal Canadian mint created the world's first $1,000,000 coin (pic). That would technically be our largest form of legal money.

I got it from a friend who lives in Lithuania for Christmas. Whenever I go to a foreign country I like to keep at least one note and whenever friends are going abroad (or they are from there) I ask them to bring me banknotes.

They will eventually be replaced over time but will still stay in circulation for many years.

I think they'll just start making new coins with the new monarchs face on, but there hasn't been a new monarch in so long that I'm not actually sure.

Didn't that get stolen or something?

Markkas were nicer than Euros

Are people still using the golden 1 pound coin?

If you're very lucky, you can still get some George VI coins in Canada

5 Forint ~ 0.016 Euro
20.000 Forint ~ 64 Euro

It stops being legal tender in the middle of next month, so you have to spend them by then. But I have built up a nice collection of all the unique pound coins from over the years and will keep them as a collection

Our Meme banknotes

I'm going to Budapest for a week in a few days, how much currency do you think I should bring? I'll be doing standard tourist activities but don't know how expensive things are

The right is all messed up but the left is amazing

me on the right without glasses

My latest acquisition.

That's pretty nice. I also ask when I know someone is travelling, but most of the common touristic places are pretty easy to get.

Did they took out the 1 and 2 florint already?

I have like 10 of those and never had a chance to change them.
How much 1 pound coins do you have?

idk dude I live in the countryside but I think around 100-200 euro(~ 30k-60k huf) would be more than enougt

please buy our polymer banknote technology

I much prefer them to our old ones.

>for a week in a few days
I mixed these up so around 120k-150k forint(~400 euro)

Original and beautiful

Yes it was stolen by arab gangers in berlin

That's a shame. Well you still have a bit if time but it's not that much money. I have about 20, there have been a fair few different designs over the years, which I like about our coinage

Ok thankyou countryside chilli man

new £5 and £10 notes

I hope the 10 pound note still has Darwin.

thank you worst ally

it doesn't sadly

>for a week in a few days
I mixed these up so around 120k-150k forint(~400 euro)

Absolutely revolting. Thank god I already got my Darwin note.

Ok double thank you, I'm sure I'll have a great time

What happens when she dies?

She won't

How much was it?

I might save them or try to sell if someone is missing a year.
Yeah, it was pretty nice seeing all the different designs on the coin over the years. I hope they can continue doing it with the new coin.

My country puts literal tyrants on our 1c piece

Pennies are pointless

I petition to remove them just for L*ncoln desu

What exactly did lincoln do to become a tyrant? Suppress rebellious states and keep the union together?

Are those even in use? What's the point of having 1c coins?

Some stores will give back more change and keep the pennies to slow down the circulation of them. They are slowly fading away but they will always be legal tender. There's YouTube videos of people paying traffic fines with buckets of pennies and the government is required to accept the payment and count the pennies

Read a history book kid
Yes, they are used everyday. One of the reasons is probably our tax code. Every state, country, and even towns can have different sales taxes so prices end in whatever amount. But really the biggest reason is they are made out of zinc and the zinc companies lobby the government to keep them, they are harmless enough that nobody cares to fight it, especially as less and less cash is used in favor of cards.

>and the zinc companies lobby the government to keep them
Oh yeah can smelt the zinc and use it.
Here 1c and 2c euro coins are made of Copper I think, but stores dont take them. When we joined the eurozone we never got to see any any 1c or 2c coins
Smallest coins are 5c and they're not used much

was too hard seeing a 1000 markka on circulation?

How common is seeing the $20 and $100 coins?

>was too hard seeing a 1000 markka on circulation?
They weren't that uncommon. Like when bought a card it was mainly 1000 bills had to get from a bank.
ATMs weren't a big thing during the 90s.
youtube.com/watch?v=XBDpIHH4glE

our banknotes have an interesting feature
they correspond to car numbers.
For example 5 rubles (Kamenets Tower, Brest Region) - 01 region
10 rubles (Transfiguration Church, Vitebsk region) - 02 region etc

it is not common, the $100 coin does not exist and acutally i have never seen the $20 coin in my life i dont know why is in there.

This is my currency
I have some cash just in case, but 99% time I use a card

I've always see this video posted. How common was mixing up those two notes?

Car numbers?

It does though, it was a series of Mexican states. A friend that went to Cancun got lucky to get one for $100 last year as the centre is made of actual silver.

>How common was mixing up those two notes?
Not common like the cashier said "to a thousand"
That was the joke :DDD. Finnish humor is weird. :DDD

>Car numbers?
yes
the last digit is the number of the region

this is an actually good int thread

shit had no idea of that, must have been some kind of commemoration for the revolution

You're right. I still found it funny desu

I see, that's pretty interesting. So the number 7 actually matches Minsk?

I don't think they are circulating anymore. I'm also looking for the N$ 10 coin with the silver centre, but most of them are fake.

You just have to try

>So the number 7 actually matches Minsk?
yes

and the 50 ruble banknote has spelling mistake, because this year slightly changed the spelling rules

Do they always change the rules? I swear this is not the first time I head about that.

Any country still using paper type money are living in the fucking stoneage and that is fact.

This was the first time since 1957

Those old French notes are gorgeous.
Have you been there?

Then those notes with the old spelling could become valuable desu

release with correction of the mistake wasn't yet

it's still use actually and i have some of those in my parent's house

Pretty cool, I've always wanted a CFP franc old note, but it's easier to get the newest series.
Save it in a book and don't spend them.

I've had a couple of 20 peso coins, i think they're not made anymore but still are in circulation.

I got it for about 30USD from a friend who went to Taiwan.

I had posted this a couple months ago

Quite the note. What else do you have in your collection?

Yeah, I remember it, you have some nice silver there. Are those still in that purse?

No, I moved them to a smaller bag where I have a silver onza libertad

Two different coins of the same currency of the same country.
Can you tell which country?

Chinese/Vietnamese/Swiss/British/American/Canadian(the one with the astronauts) notes.

Best Korea.

It's better to have the coins of the same metal together, unless one is corroded.

What Vietnamese note? Are the Swiss one of the old series?

Could you post the other side? So we can see the stars

A thousand Vietnamese Dongs :DDD

No, the new Swiss series but I really like the new one.

Yeah, they're pretty nice. The 20 francs one?