what happened to his career?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Nux0R_pUqoU
youtu.be/64DsZSrCmok
youtu.be/ERDGH7SpzZ8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>what happened to his career?

he never had one to begin with

He wasn't that interested in acting. I recently saw the making of Clerks, and Clerks II. He got the part of Randal because he just happened to be at the auditions for Clerks and read the lines with another dude. He wrote, directed, and starred in his own film but I haven't seen it. Perhaps the reception, or lack thereof, really cemented the fact that he'd stay out of the movie business.

It's kind of a shame, I think he's an extremely natural actor. And it's funny to know how fucking nervous he was when shooting Clerks for how amazing he pulled off Randal.

He doesn't want one.
Clerks 3 isn't happening "because one actor keeps refusing". Take a guess who it is.

nobody likes slut shaming

>He doesn't want one.

I wouldn't say that. He was in an unknown film in 2015, and again, he did make his own film. From the documentaries I saw on both Clerks films, I think he's just really uncofident in his abilities and lacked encouragement from his peers.

Do you want it to happen? Why? Clerks Ii wasn't exactly anything to write home about.

I don't know, I've heard that too, but I think that may be something he says to save face. I could be reading too much into it, but there was one quote that stood out on the episode of smodcast he was on a few years ago. Kevin is talking about how after Clerks was bought by the Weinstein's, he immediately signed with CAA, and Jeff was like, "that's huge" (or something to that effect). But he said it with the sort of sincerity that I've only ever heard from people that are outside of the business that really want to break in. I don't know, maybe I'm just projecting, but still. You don't take a role in a movie if you have no interest in being an actor. He might not have wanted it bad enough to seriously pursue it, but he had to have wanted it to some degree. And I'm not trying to shit on the guy, I think he's great and Clerks would have been a completely different (worse) movie had he not played Randall. Just my two cents.

i think he's sour about acting too because apparently he had problems getting paid for clerks 2 or something like that.

That's just not true at all, man.

youtube.com/watch?v=Nux0R_pUqoU

In fact the only thing wrong with Clerks II is that its ending doesn't address how Dante handles the situation with Becky.

I've heard the reason he's refusing is because the Weinstein's still own the IP and would have to be involved, and he hates the Weinstein's for screwing them out of a significant amount of back-end money on C2.

Did Randal just call Mr. Dante a nigger?

First I've heard about this. That really fucking sucks.

Shut up, Elias!

Yeah, the speech was nice. I guess overall I felt like the movie had pacing issues. It felt kinda slow. Maybe it was just bad editing (or I should say editing that wasn't for me).

I liked it when it was super janky in Clerks (I) because it seemed to fit in with the movie, but in II it seems improved enough to just feel bad. Not sure if any of this makes sense.

I did like individual scenes and some of the humor but it just didn't have the same feel to me of the first, and I feel like a third would just be too much.

But I'd download it eventually if it does happen so there's that I guess.

> overall I felt like the movie had pacing issues.

That's kind of a classic Kevin Smith problem. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan, but he isn't the most structured writer in the world. He's got a really "stream-of-conciousness" style which works sometimes and less well other times.

Checked.

I see what you mean. But I didn't mind it at all. It was a similar formula, day in the life of Randal and Dante as they work, but with new context and perspectives.

I think the scene that fucks with people the most, particularly about pacing, is when Randal, Elias, and the restaurant patron are arguing about Star Wars and LotR. It's an innocuous scene, and I like it a lot, but if it was gone I don't think it'd be a tragedy.

He'd be great with a co-writer. Have someone tighten up his scripts. Might be the only reason I'm interested in seeing that movie he keeps teasing by him and McElfresh. I wanna see how the script works when he's got someone working with him.

Chief O'Brian?

Completely agree. I'm not entirely sure why he hasn't tried that yet. He hates handling other people's work, but I think finding a co-writer who he respects would do a lot of good.

>Weinstein
>stein
>screwing someone out of money
Huh.. you don't say?

I've noticed he writes really weird dialogue. Things that people don't normally say. Its like hes writing a comic book.

Career?

>smodcast he was on a few years ago
Listening it it now?

>I lived in LA for 10 years, I don't think I ever left my house in those 10 years

Is he, dare I say it, our guy?

He is the definition of /ourguy/

It's mostly a stylistic thing that was super common 90s era indie flicks. His dialogue is probably the only thing in his movies that gets consistent praise. Kind of the same thing with Tarantino. Nobody actually talks like the characters in Tarantino flicks, but you can pretty much know you're watching a Tarantino flick simply by hearing the dialogue.

Man, that bastards faster than Walt Flanagan's dog

Yes you're right

Why isn't him Guy Gardner in the DCEU?

He leans pretty heavily on the dialogue because he, by his own admission, isn't a terribly strong visual storyteller, or even terribly strong director of actors. He's said that directing technique used to consist of telling actors, "say it like this", which is generally regarded as insulting, and eventually evolved into letting them just read it however they wanted with minimal interference. Combined with the fact that he does minimal camerawork and set dressing, the dialogue is basically the only thing he has at his disposal to leave any sort of directorial mark. He'd probably make a good playwright, to be honest.

Even if you didn't like Clerks 2 the soundtrack was fucking great.

>Let me help you out of your chair Grandma!

It had its moments, but with Kevin Smith's recent shit films it's best just to let it die.

Thread theme
youtu.be/64DsZSrCmok

What does Sup Forums think about the original ending where Dante dies?

Gives the film some extra pottery

link in case anyone hasnt seen it

youtu.be/ERDGH7SpzZ8

Christ that's dark

heard he tied the knot dressed as stormtroopers or some shit

>Nobody actually talks like the characters in Tarantino flicks

>I seen 'em do it man, they drown it in that shit
>Did you just order a five dollar shake

Really unbelievable dialogue, here.

I'm glad it's changed, because then people would only remember the ending and not the poignant film that it is.

It's nothing to do with money, it's cause he got married and retired to the mountains.

Hi, Jeff. Do Clerks 3, please.

DUDE STAR WARS LMAO

He wasn't even supposed to be there that day.

>Frrruuuuuussssstrrraaaaaaaaateeeed iiiiinnnnncooooorrrpooorrrraaaateeeeeed

I'd heard the song before, but that was the first time I realized I loved it.

>what happened to his career?

I don't know. What was it?

>Knock it off, Julie. I don't need you to tell me how fucking good my coffee is, okay? I'm the one who buys it. I know how good it is. When Bonnie goes shopping she buys SHIT. I buy the gourmet expensive stuff because when I drink it I want to taste it. But you know what's on my mind right now? It AIN'T the coffee in my kitchen, it's the dead nigger in my garage. No, No, No, No, let me ask you a question. When you came pulling in here, did you notice a sign out in front of my house that said "Dead Nigger Storage"? Did you notice a sign out in front of my house that said "Dead Nigger Storage"? You know WHY you didn't see that sign? Cause it ain't there, 'cause storing dead niggers ain't my fucking business, that's why!

My boss and I have this literal exact exchange every day.

You show up at your boss' house with dead niggers everyday?

You're a hitman and show up at your boss' house with a dead nigger in your car and ask him to let you hide out for a while?

That use of 1979 was fantastic

He's a cop

Sounds like a shit job.

Where else am I gonna hide them?