HOWEVER

Well done Gothmog well done

HOWEVER

well done, sword and bow,
well done

HOWEVER

Well done helms deep well done

HOWEVER

Yes well done, Goldberry, well done. HOW-A-TOM-BOM-A-MERRY-BOM-BA-DILLO-EVER...

Yes yes well done WELL DONE well done WELL DONE...HOWEVER

bane is still the biggest meme 4u

Well done breakfast well done

HOWEVER

Well done, Saruman. Well done, Saruman

HOWEVER

well done maggoty bread well done

HOWEVER

oh god, is this another reddishit forced meem?

Yes well done, Yavanna, well done.

HOWEVER

well done dwarves well done HOWEVER

best thread of March

well done, Strider
well done

HOWEVER

DEH!

should i read silmarillion or children of hurin first?

well done villages well done

HOWEVER

Yes yes well done, physics. Well done physics

HOWEVER

well done fellowship well done

HOWEVER

well done Sauron
well done

HOWEVER

Yes, well done Ramsay. Well done.

HOWEVER

Well done second breakfast well done

HOWEVER

Well done elevenses
well done

HOWEVER

Well done tomato, well done tomato

HOWEVER

I read Children of Hurin first just because I had it. The Silmarillion version was kind of a refresher of the plot to me. Silmarillion also goes further with what happens to Hurin.

I'm hype for Beren and Luthien coming out in May; 2017 and we're getting fresh Tolkien.

well done front gate of the outer ring well done

HOWEVER

well done new meme,
well done,
HOWEVER

well done Proudfeet
well done

HOWEVER

Well done steak well done

HOWEVRAW

well done slytherin well done

HOWEVER

Well done hobbitses, well done

HOWEVER

why wouldn't they wait until after the orcs had been impaled by the pikes. wtf.

Well done NĂºmenor well done

HOWEVER

Was this kind of battle tactic described in the books?

The entire Battle of the Five Armies in the book takes up less than a page.

holy shit no way

Yeah, you know that scene in the first season of Game of Thrones where Tyrion gets knocked off and we don't actually see the battle that takes place in the book ? Well this is basically the opposite thing

When I first read the hobbit (like, 4th grade) I remember this part totally bewhildering me. Bilbo wakes up and it Tolkien just lists all the characters eho died. Like what the fuck.

imagine having the balls to get a celeb to sign a panty shot jesus christ.

Well done maggoty bread, well done.

HOWEVER

Yes yes, well done butthurt retard faggot, well done, HOWEVER

Tolkien describes it in fair detail. He describes the dwarf warriors (mastercrafted steel hose, chainmail, iron caps and boots, mattocks and short swords) and says that the dwarfs took position at the bottom of the valley and the elves and men set up on either side of the mountain. The dwarfs got brutalised but held when Thorin waded in and attacked the orc bodyguards, then orcs climbed around the mountain and attacked the men and elves on the slopes and nearly routed them but then the eagles showed up and pulled them off the rocks and the men and elves were free to charge down the slopes to the main fight. Gandalf blew up a lot of orcs, Thorin and his cousisn got cut down by the bodyguard but Beorn showed up and killed them all.

Its more detail than some of the LoTR fights to be fair.

You can't really be that surprised that Tolkien didn't go into detail about battles.

I mean, even if we ignore the fact that it's only Jackson who at all gave a damn about portraying proper battles, while Tolkien was always only concerned with the surrounding story and its meaning; the guy came out of the Battle of Somme.

One does not go through that, and then write about battles in books he intends for kids to read.

lmao

In addition to for I'm not sure if calling it "Fair Detail" is true. I mean it is, kind of, considering his other work, but even then, it's about as much a description of the battle, as: "Two people from families that hate eachother fall in love in spite of their parents, and eventually their love drives them to suicide." is a complete picture of Romeo and Juliet.

>One does not go through that, and then write about battles in books he intends for kids to read.

I don't think that was really why he didn't describe them in detail. It's more because he was writing pseudo-mythology, and most of the chronicles, sagas and mythic poems that he was basing his writing style on also didn't spend a lot of time describing battles. There are obviously some exceptions, but a lot of medieval writers often simply wrote something like 'Battle was joined at X on All Saints Day in the Year of Our Lord 11XX. With the help of God Almighty the king prevailed.' There might be a few incidental details, but actual gritty blow-by-blow accounts of battles were really rare because most of the people who wrote about them (monks) weren't actually there. And even if they were there it wasn't easy for them to get a solid, accurate picture of what happened on a field of maybe 50,000 men from their very limited perspective. A couple of notable exceptions include stuff like the Song of Roland which is specifically a battle poem (but is still really vague and broadly stylistic in places) and some of the stuff from the First Crusade.

Well done CIA, well done.

HOWEVER

Yeah, that definitely is a part of it, but as you said, they were usually 3rd person accounts, which is why here, if he wanted, he could have gone into more detail, have Bilbo observe the goings on, but even if it did occur to him it's not something I think he would have felt belonged there on an emotional basis, in addition to the fact that his work wasn't about that sort of thing.

Well done Batman well done

HOWEVER
SAVE MARTHA

Sun Tzu BTFO

Well done droids, well done.

HOWEVER

Stale meme. Ran its course months ago

Well done Fellowship well done

HOWEVER

Well done Jason well done

HOWEVER

What did Jackson mean by this

Yes yes well done La La Land well done, HOWEVER

Yes yes well done user, well done.

HOWEVER

Compared to movie battles which consist of a ton of people yelling at each other and running into a massive mellee, theres quite a bit more tactical information about what happened in the battle in the book than in almost any TV/movie battle Ive ever seen (except maybe shit like some of the battlestar galactica fights)

the fuck is that my man

looks tasty

I mean you're right. But what can anyone say to that? "That's because most TV/Movie battles are either bullshit that is there to excite you while you wish you didn't eat all your popcorn already; or to show off some impressive camerawork, set detail and groundbreaking special effects."?

Well done Isildur, well done Isildur...

HOWEVER

Using the magic of Google Image Search, I found you this. kitchenoverlord.com/hobbit-week-stuffed-and-roasted-mushrooms/

Best one

>Using the magic of Google Image Search

well done genuinely nice and not ironically heplful user

Well done Herzog, well done Herzog

HOWEVER

Underrated trips.

"Teach a man to fish" and all that.

But yeah, genuinely hope you enjoy it my man.
As an apology, have this foreign dish as well that you may not have tried: manusmenu.com/hortobagyi-palacsinta
Have some good eating.

Is this the French version? Why is he wearing a beret?

Well done, well done the eagles just fly the HOWEVER into Mordor?

top tier bread

>whorebag placenta

sounds bon appetit

sadmaninabluescreenhell.jpg

>But what can anyone say to that?

They cant say anything, its possible to display tactics and battlefield events and make it interesting, people just choose not to because its difficult

well done singles
well checked
HOWEVER

Well done, Paul Allen's card, well done.

HOWEVER

fuck me
IMPRESSIVE

Well done, Tolkien, well done

HOWEVER

melkor is taking a fat maia shit on laurelin AND LOVING IT