Have you noticed that almost everyone who thinks this movie is bad does so because they didn't understand it?

Have you noticed that almost everyone who thinks this movie is bad does so because they didn't understand it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qfQE0SOGG-g
youtube.com/watch?v=oRRcGdsX8pg&t=31s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That would be the logical conclusion.

I've never seen it but I can firmly say I don't like it.

No, that's just something morons would like to believe because they can't face having embryonic sensibilities.

>It's strange to be calling yourself.
genius

Llorando por tu amor

Just finished Blue Velvet, and I really liked it
Will I like this?

Have you noticed that pretentious assholes only argument is ever "you didn't understand it?" they said because they looked up a plot summary on Wikipedia and think they "get it."

The only things I remember about Mulholland Drive are that Robert Forster seemed like he was going to be an important character, and then we never see him again, and that Naomi Watts seemed much more believable when she was acting (in her audition) than when she was being herself.

what is there to understand

>Have you ever done this before
>I want to with you

DIAMONDS

>that Naomi Watts seemed much more believable when she was acting (in her audition) than when she was being herself.
You are so fucking retarded

But even the people I know who like it still don't understand it.

its actually about immigration reform and the need to remove borders.

Shit movie.

you spelled kebab wrong

do you post this in every mulholland drive thread or am i having some weird ass deja vu

I don't understand it but I love it. I tried looking up theories explaining it one time but none of it seemed right. It would hurt the emotional connection I have to this piece of art if I had to spend the entire run time focusing on blue keys and checking my notes on dream logic.

it's the same reason why people hate anime

yup i have no clue what i just watched, only reason i watch it whole is because the lesbians were hot.

its just a dream lmfao xd

I didn't understand this movie at all, but I still liked it. Does that make me pretentious?

Both?

You have to take into account that people who mainly just watch capeshit and other geek culture oriented kidde flicks on this board thinks this is a good movie to start with when they are trying to "broaden their horizons". Of course they won't get it or like it.

Most people don't know what dreams are supposed to be, that's why they don't understand the film.

It's Lynch's fault.

Sometimes you can just enjoy the experience

Not really. I didn't really get it either first time I watched it as a teenager. It still blew my mind just because I for once had too use my brain while watching something. Altough I had seen Lost Highway earlier and sorta knew what I was in for, but Lost Highway isn't that hard to get though.

I can't imagine any other kind of person praising this film to such an extent as it gets.

It's true, I was one of them

>listen to song
>cant understand lyrics because its japanese.
>find out its about liking big butts and not being able to lie.

kek confirms it's neither one nor the other

so much for resolution

Huh? No sure what you mean? Lynch is probably the best director in the world when it comes to show and give the feelings of dreams in the film medium.

Not in the least, I think it's good to rewatch movies and really deconstruct them but if you're trying to do that the first time around you're going to miss everything that makes the viewing experience worthwhile.
It would be like stopping a novel after every chapter to spend a few hours close-reading what you just read line by line and trying, from what you have so far, to piece together what the author is trying to say. Just read the damn thing.
It's weird that the best way to really experience art is in lots of ways similar to the 'just turn off your brain' thing that is so rightfully derided here, but it really is. Let it happen to you in the moment, worry about trying to make sense of what happened later.

Capeshit fans praising Mulholland Drive? Why would they do that?

Because they want to feel like they have good taste?

The Quays brothers.

Everyone has dreams, how can they not know what they are? Also Lynch does dream stories the best because they aren't cop outs which is what is usually used for dreams, and he uses them to flesh out his characters

But they can only understand black and white logic i.e good vs evil and such, like capes. Why would they like anything by Lynch? There are also not many fight scenes, explosions and CGI effects in his work.

Best live action director then.

your inferiority is showing

The Quays brothers.

You'll like it, but Blue Velvet is Lynch's best.

That's the point. The acting being weird and funny helps create that surreal dream feel and the audition was supposed to represent how she considered herself a great actress so it makes sense to present it like that

>but Lost Highway isn't that hard to get though.
It is much harder to get than Mullholland Drive. In Mulholand Drive you at least know which scenes take place in reality and which take place in a dream.

In Lost Highway there's no way of knowing which are real, which are subjective memory, and which are dreams.

Wut, when did this happen in Mulholland Drive?

If you're talking about the Mystery Man, that's Lost Highway.

Well, maybe not *most* people, but a lot don't understand that dreams are supposed to be representations of one's feelings. That's they think that the fact that most of the film was a dream is just a cheap excuse for being pointlessly weird.

>director openly states that he just said fuck it and created an ending that made no sense and has no meaning
>heh you plebs just didn't """"""get""""""" it

I don't "get it".I guess it must be something that works on emotional level but I can't even begin to imagine what this thing is. Can you try to explain?

When Betty and Camila look up "Diane Selwyn" in the phonebook and call her.

Where and when did he say that?

I genuinely can't remember that scene.

Probably. I've no idea how you can like it if you didn't understand it.

>I tried looking up theories
try this one, i found it helpful and interesting
youtube.com/watch?v=qfQE0SOGG-g

I like how everyone has such a hard time understanding this when Inland Empire is at least 4 times as confusing

Mulholland Drive is only confusing when the autists go on about "muh Buddhism"

I can see why people are confused the first or second time they see it.

I've only seen Inland Empire a couple times and I've been pretty bewildered both times.

>or second time
Why the second time? I thought the whole dream aspect is beaten into you pretty hard after the reveal. Why would you not know it's a dream the second time, when it's shown to you the first time?

Unless you're talking about the conspiracy stuff, but they kind of go hand-in-hand.

I mean yes they should know it's a dream on that second view but I think coming up with interpretations for all the scenes and narratives of the dream (the diner, the hitman, etc) probably takes a bit more time. Possibly I am just a dummy though.

>movie is intentionally incoherent and open ended to seem intellectual
>lel if you didn't get it you're a pleb

What does Mulholland Drive have to do with Buddhism?

Ask the autists

>I've only seen Inland Empire a couple times and I've been pretty bewildered both times.
I watched a download of Inland Empire with the subtitles missing on the Polish parts. I thought that maybe having long periods of dialogue you couldn't understand was done for artistic reasons. Only afterwards did I find out that my copy was bad. Not sure how much understanding those parts would have helped the overall movie make sense to me though.

I'm kind of an opposite to that. I needed to had it explained to me because I didn't get what the fuck was going on during the last half an hour. Then, it became one of the best movies I watched. Saying that I like it feels a little embarrassing, as I sort of cheated my way out of not understanding it.

Nobody has dreams that have a narrative like this.

There's subconscious at play and then there's this.

is it that inconceivable that an intelligent person might subjectively find david lynch films boring and not intellectually stimulating?

>to seem intellectual
REEEEEEEEEEEEEE I DONT WANNA FORM MY OWN CONCLUSION TO WHAT HAPPENED

anybody got the lynch pepe?

Lynch doesn't seem like he's trying to seem intellectual to me. Feels more like he just wants to create moods he finds interesting and share them with you.

Yeah I have had a tough time integrating those aspects into the larger framework of the movie. I'm guessing I'll need it least a few watches before understanding it more fully. Even without being able to follow it completely I think the last 2 hours of that movie are pretty extraordinary.

>Naomi Watts seemed much more believable when she was acting (in her audition) than when she was being herself
jesus christ

That's not true, tryhard contrarians hate it too.

Inland Empire was way better

Abre tus ojos

youtube.com/watch?v=oRRcGdsX8pg&t=31s

because inland empire had the opportunity to be more coherent in that it didn't start off as a television series pitch

Inland Empire was literally just a bunch of unrelated things Lynch filmed and then decided to create a narrative around. It's no more coherent than MD and neither are its origins.

Don Quixote started off as a short story and was released in 2 halves, the second initially not having been planned in the slightest and was only written in response to the way the first half had been received.

Boo hoo bitch boy

i was just saying it
>lliterally
had more of an opportunity to present itself as being so, even if you think it wasn't
>immediate hostility over nothing

suck a dick

>his dreams aren't kino

My dreams are excellent experimental films

>implying

I've had dreams with beginning middles and ends. Not always, but it definitely happens.

They were more thematic and not even surreal. They literally made sense and sometimes I didn't even star in the story, I just dreamed up a movie. I even wrote some of them down.

I obviously also have surreal dreams with no real narrative, but definitely not always.

This is the one thing films have never gotten right.

All of the dreams I remember are completely nonsensical and generally incoherent. There are always nonrealistic, ridiculous elements in my dreams too that let me know I'm dreaming. And once I know I'm dreaming I immediately kill myself to wake up because I know some scary shit is about to happen

What were the purposes of the diner scene and the hitman killing all the people? Just to create moods?

They both are out of nowhere and to me don't add anything to the film

Hitman scene is some comic relief. Diner is very important to the plot if it's the one I think you mean.

There's a pretty simple explanation for the hitman scene. She is trying to purge herself of guilt by imagining that the hitman she hired is entirely incompetent and thus likely to botch the job.

The diner scene I would say is her dream telling her that something horrible is lurking within.

No, the movie is just plain boring, besides the scene at the diner, which still isnt as good as people make it out to be.
Boring characters, boring explanation, boring scenes for the sake of being "deep". No tension or character development whatsoever.

Have to agree, he takes an interesting story about the subconscious and its effects on your dreams makes it so dull. Even the silencio scene was just a bore.

Literal plebs

If you can't get into the extremely overwhelming atmosphere of dread, sadness, and longing that infuses every single scene of the film then you don't know how films work

Atmosphere is subjective.

So is art right? It's okay mate, you're just a pleb.

>he really thinks he has good taste because he likes Mulholland Drive
sad.

I could drool the same sentence about Transformers 3 and you couldn't disprove me.
The film doesnt have interesting camerawork, acting, music or screenplay. All it has is the reveal at the end and little hints throughout towards it.

What a peculiar perspective. The entire movie is gorgeously filmed and Watts' performance is surely one of the best in all of film.

Nope, I didn't say that. You have bad taste for not liking it though.

Very defensive statement.

>character development

yes, i have noticed that.