Literally the greatest season ever produced

Literally the greatest season ever produced.

Other urls found in this thread:

true-detective.wikia.com/wiki/Errol_Childress
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It turned to complete garbage when they went to the future

How does one even get paint on your ears?

I don't sleep. I just meme.

Wind

dude black stars
dude time is a flat circle

>guaranteed replies

If you can't come up with at least a few possibilities on your own, I have some bad news.

The last episode felt wrong

Amazing atmosphere, great intro, comfy as fuck.

However the further they went into time the more boring it became. Last episode saved it though.

The absolute pinnacle of television. Never seen a better show. Shame about that second season tho...

Why exactly? The finale with that inbred killer in his old Spanish fort with his stick figures was tense as fuck, and Rust having a vision was oddly satisfying

>my files

Ligotti's nihilism/pessimism in the show was interesting despite how hardcore it is.

>Reddit and Marty

The fact that the almost Lovecraftian "Yellow King" was some inbreeding hillbilly was both unsatisfying but also understandable. One of the posters had the title "Man is the cruelest animal" which is applicable. I guess the only way the finale could be satisfying is if you interpret the show as how humans rationalize suffering. Rust has his own way, and others imagine some kind of cosmic horror entity behind everything. But its just people who are evil

Yea I think how people cope with the apparent chaos of life was a central theme of the show.

It's sad how many people just jerked off over everything Rust said while dismissing Marty as "the dumb one", I think this caused some to miss the point and be unsatisfied with the ending. They saw it as the show doing a 180 but "Rust is right" was never a theme of the show if anything "Rust's way of coping with life is unhealthy" was more of a theme.

Hillbilly wasn't the Yellow King, though.

Do we know for sure? We know there were more members of the cult still out there but do we know for sure the guy Rust got was not the yellow king?

Yes. The effigy rigged up behind the altar with all the yellow fabric is the Yellow King. Hillbilly was just a lunatic who thought he was transcending.

The cult existed before him. It exists outside of him.

the Hillbilly in the final episode wasn't even a real member of the cult. He was just a nephew or cousin of the main family who got molested and abused by them when he was young. The main cult probably didn't take any of that Yellow King stuff seriously; it was just some weird secret club ritual for them. But for the Hillbilly, who was one of their victims, seeing the cult's rituals as a child became his defining life experience even as that experience warped his young inbred mind. He turned the things he saw and heard into a personal religion and took it further than the original cult ever did, and continued to hurt people long after the cult who hurt him broke up and dispersed.
One of the show's big themes was how people who are hurt by monsters continue to be affected by it for years and decades after the fact, and will themselves go on to affect others in negative ways, perpetuating the cycle. This is illustrated by the fact that the true cult, the guys who started all of the Yellow King shit in the first place, are largely gone by the time the show takes place. Its members are all off doing their own things by themselves and whatever nefarious activity they may currently be up to is no longer occurring in the backwater location where the show takes place. It's the people they hurt all those decades ago when they were still active in the area that are still doing evil shit

Yeah, I think that was the point. He was kind of Rust's foil. Rust is an asshole who no one will ever love, but he is fair, and he sees the bleak truth of the world. Essentially, Rust is a good, moral person. Everyone likes Marty, and he's normal. He sees that the bleak truth of the world doesn't really matter, you just gotta do your own normal thing. He's immoral though, and is essentially a bad person, even though he's just a regular guy

Ah right. Forgot about the effigy thing.

Gonna need some examples of how you know for sure the rich/powerful members of the cult aren't active in that shit anymore. It's an interesting interpretation but was there anything that actually made it explicit that the cult was largely disbanded and it was just this one deluded hick and a handful of idiots left doing it?

>constant winking about pedophilic sex dungeon by elites
>turns outs it was all a yokel

such a piece of shit.

If there wasn't a season 2 I would even say it's the best show I've ever seen.

Not the guy, but I explicitly remember this guy being implicated in the whole cult thing and he clearly wants the investigation shut down. Its just assumed that he isn't part of the cult anymore because of his high profile position and age

All that shit was still going on somewhere user, they just never got close to it.

>bad guy is a christian conservative
Sup Forums BTFO

Right. Rust isn't a bad guy but he has allot of problems, Marty is well adjusted but not really a good person although he likes to think he is. Over the course of the show they both grow, Marty realizes he's kind of an asshole and changes and Rust finally accepts that he does have feelings for other people and was deeply hurt by the loss of his daughter rather than just trying to bury his feelings under layers of "it don't matter, none of this matters".

I think the scene where they talk at the revival tent really lays it out well but sadly many people just took it as "oh shit Rust roast's christfags!" while totally ignoring the fact that Marty calls him out for lying to himself just like the people he's criticizing and it's not that Rust's views are wrong necessarily but the idea that you can bury your emotions with nihilism is unhealthy and wrong.

>Its just assumed that he isn't part of the cult anymore because of his high profile position and age

I never assumed that but I can see how it's possible. It's very possible he's still involved as well though.

Good posts.

The two named members of the cult we know of are Edwin Tuttle(the governor, never shown on screen) and Billy Lee Tuttle(the preacher who sets up the religious hate crimes task force in episode 1). Both of them seem to have moved on. Billy Lee's conversation with Rust in his library seems to imply that all of the shit he was involved with happened a long time ago and his only interest in it in the present is to make sure none of the crap they did back then gets dredged up. He may still do evil shit, but the specific group of rural dudes he used to belong to is obviously no longer active and operating, because the ritual murder victims have a gap of a few decades between his time and when they start up again. And when they start up again, he is as in the dark as Rust is about who is actually committing the recent murders. It's why he is so desperate to keep Rust away; if he knew who was doing it he would just have the guy whacked and then bulldoze the weird rape fort

shame it has virtually no rewatch value.

Without the mystery, it becomes a bunch of mundane police work and silly monologues.

I know it's been a few years, but it wasn't a yokel. The guy was a relative (illegitimate son?) of one of the most powerful political families in Louisiana.

It was in the deep south. That's all they have down there. Even the democrats are technically conservative.

I think it might be Twin Peaks season 1 t b h

But the guy doing it was a relative of theirs. idk man I see where you're coming from but I never took it that way, I assumed they were in on it the whole time and just good at playing dumb.

I see what you're saying though and maybe they weren't it's certainly a plausible theory.

fuck off reddit

The weird rape fort is Carcosa, if not murders, some weird shit was going on there as the black maid said. Rust thought that others believed Tuttle was going to be blackmailed over the videotape and killed him to prevent it.
But I doubt his own brother would do that. So definitely there are still other cultist around. But why they didn't care about Errol, his father, Reggie or Dewall?

Top fucking kek
true-detective.wikia.com/wiki/Errol_Childress

Alexandra Daddario's tits made it so

>the atmospheric cajun superstition out on the bayou
>even the scum of the earth living in the area are afraid of his evil
>the dread, helplessness, and occult spiritual tones in a modern world

you're right, it sucked.

Yeah. For one, if the guy was just a fringe loon and everyone else move on, why not take him out or stop him? Imagine all the resources and money it would take to keep all of it quiet.

what sucked

>But why they didn't care about Errol, his father, Reggie or Dewall?
Well it goes back to my theory that Errol and his crew weren't members of the original cult, and the original cultists weren't aware they were the ones who were committing new murders. Errol was just an unimportant cousin of the Tuttles, and they didn't suspect he was the one who was taking all their secret rituals and using them for new murders because they never inducted him into their conspiracy and didn't realize how much shit he remembered from the time(s) they molested him when he was a kid.

He was basically just a victim of the cult who went nuts and grew up trying to turn his weird cult-rape experience into something that made sense to him. His whole life was an exercise in working through his childhood trauma and trying to make it mean something, hence his "slipping the disk" talk about transcendence. The fact that he was a blood relative of the main cultists and owned the plot of land where they used to conduct ritual murders doesn't mean he had any contact with the cultists in the present; it just means he was the unimportant relative who stayed behind on the old family plot long after the rest of them moved on to bigger and better things

nothing

>a massive man, for you,

what did they mean by this?

alright which one of you fucks did that?

Well, that makes sense, but why they left Carcosa intact? Hey, someone does ritual murders like we did decades ago, why not check the place where we've raped and killed dozens of people and filmed it?

god

>but why they left Carcosa intact?
they never thought it would be found out, also its like their spot, holy place w/e, also the impression I got is no-one messes with hillbilly, everyone senators on down were scared shitless of him.

excellent use of ass and titties

season 2 should have done better with ani

They were actively covering up for the guy. Remember the guy they had kill himself in jail? He said he knew who was doing it. Not to mention the fact that kids were disappearing from Tuttle schools.

Perhaps they thought the old man was still doing it, but still.

No one knows who he is either though, would almost certainly be easier to get rid of him and Carcosa than cover his shit up.

It's possible they knew what he was doing and got some kind of sick pleasure out of it though. Maybe they liked that he was out there and the site was being used.

agreed, I thought the sex party would deliver prime p&a but nah

Also the last officer to be alone with him was named Childress.

>No one knows who he is either
this is what I think you've got wrong, he's like the cults high priest or say mob boss, or even like a tribal shaman, everyone knows no-one says

>the ghetto home invasion episode
god damn that whole sequence was fucking incredible

Yea they knew for sure. Damn user had me going for a while there I always assumed they were in on it but his theory they were trying to figure it out before Rust was interesting, had me thinking I missed a bunch of stuff.

Still they may not have been actively involved with any murdering at the time themselves, they certainly knew what was up though, I think they let Errol continue because it got them off or maybe they're really "true believers" and saw it as an affront to their god to stop someone doing such holy work.

That's the other thing user seemed to assert they didn't really believe in the cult and Errol was just crazy, how do we know they didn't believe in it?

very nice one-shot, fucking incredible seeing it for the first time tbqh

idk, I just feel like if they knew exactly who was doing it then they would either make him stop or at least make him slow down. I think it's more likely they had a vague idea that some member of the extended family and/or former cult was likely doing it, but couldn't figure out exactly who. The elderly black woman said that the family was enormous and had swarms of kids running around back in the day, so it seems likely to me that even though they knew it was probably family, and tried to cover it up accordingly, they couldn't narrow it down to which exact offshoot of the family was doing it.

I mean regular people don't know who he is user

What happened to that little girl on the tape? They would never show it, just the detectives yelling as if they've never browsed Sup Forums

oh, yea of course, but in the cult they do, he's the high dragon? idk the guy who officiates the ceremonies

What if they believed more than you think? Maybe they wouldn't stop him because they truly believed it was right.

Rust shitposts on /x/ he still freaked the fuck out, it was something not meant to be shown,

very lovecraftian t.b.h

Did they fuck that girl or kill her or eat her or what though?

Rape and murder of Marie Fontenot.

Honestly, their reactions are a flaw for me. Are we really to believe they'd see something that would make them scream like that after working homicide for years?

That's why I'm so interested as to wfat could be happening on that tape. Must be some cannibal corpse type shit

God

Well, Marty is a father of 2 daughters. Seeing a girl get raped, murdered and god knows what else might make a man scream.

I admit that is a possibility, and one I hadn't given much thought to. Mainly because Billy Lee Tuttle didn't come across to me as the sort of guy who really believed in anything. He seemed more like the type of guy who enjoyed using religious rituals and iconography for the sake of aesthetics, and because the contrast between the satanic cult rituals of his private life and the Christian persona of his public life tickled him. This is all based on impressions I got from the actor's performance, though. Nothing concrete.

Billy Lee and the other high ranking Tuttles being true believers in the cult is definitely creepier than my theory and would fit the atmosphere the show was going for.

They don't have rape/murders in LA? He saw a baby that was microwaved.

Marty's isn't that bad. Steve's just way over the top.

And it made him quit his job. So it's not like he wasn't affected by it. We don't know what's on the tape, so it must be some real fucked up shit.

desu I think they were true believers or just so sick they wouldn't stop Errol because they got off on knowing he was doing it, maybe even got off on knowing there was an investigation and they might be caught.

This. It's similar to the very concept of what "the king in yellow" is in it's original story. The king in yellow is a play that makes anyone who sees it go mad. In the show the tape was like the king in yellow play.

Was very meta desu.

Well, he had nude photos of kids in his safe along with the murder tape.

Religion is big money in the South. It could have been just his way to wealth and power.

Just cause he didn't really believe in Christianity doesn't mean he couldn't really believe in something else.

Not saying he must have been a true cultist but I think it's a real possibility.

I suppose. I guess it's more the pan out, distance shots along with the screaming. It's so overblown it jars me.

Tip top bantz

Yeah, that's what I mean. He was clearly in on it on some level. What I'm saying is the Christian thing could have been a ruse to cover his real beliefs.

Or he was just a pedo and it was a way to get victims.

Absolutely delicious.

yea

yeah that part was fucking stupid.

>why green ears
>was painting a house green
>got paint on ears
>caseclosed.jpg

honestly, why couldn't it have been that he was wearing green noise-canceling headphones because he mows lawns?

They can only do that shit before normalfags realise it exists

Because it had to tie back to painting the house.

>he's like the cults high priest or say mob boss, or even like a tribal shaman
No user.

>why couldn't it have been that he was wearing green noise-canceling headphones because he mows lawns?

How is that in any way better?

everyday I'am reminded how great it is you autists don't make movies/tv

young pope comes close

Season Two was better or I enjoyed it more

Vince Vaughn displayed a ton of range, Colin did an Okay job and the script was engaging

user pls this isn't even funny

Season Two was good, it was Vince Vaugns
best role

>Look me in the eyes...I want to watch your lights go out.

>vince vaughns best role

well I can't argue with that, it's still nowhere near S1

I think you faggots over hyped this show for me. Heard it had some deep philosophical stuff in it, maybe for somebody who doesn't engage with it at all or read it to me the views expressed didn't resonate with me and I get that hes a character and can be wrong and not just a mouth piece for the direction but the show was kinda just him rambling about shit that wasn't that interesting and with great acting and character relations with a poor mystery.

yes user fgt

>the show was kinda just him rambling about shit that wasn't that interesting and with great acting and character relations with a poor mystery.

What's uninteresting about it? Human's rationalizations for living the way they do is always interesting.

The mystery was great. The Tuttles "know" everything Rust said is correct, that's why they're trying to escape.

The Leftovers my friend... watch it.

when you go through life firing directors that elevated your shit into kino, well you end up with Vince, casper knew this