So they don't end up together? What kind of dumbass movie is this. Went straight from an 8.5/10 to 1.5/10

So they don't end up together? What kind of dumbass movie is this. Went straight from an 8.5/10 to 1.5/10

Movies where the characters don't end up together are the new hotness.

I generally don't like it, but this one was good. The final sequence was incredible.

It was good. The happy ending would be too obvious.

it's not a love story and if you expected one with a happy ending you didn't even get the film. it's a fucking tragedy. this movie and your conception all those years ago

It's totally a love story.

Maybe I'll come around to it in a few days. To be so singin in the rain only to turn out like that was a shock. Fucking roller coaster ride in those last 10 minutes

The fact that it didn't have a shitty cliche ending is one of the reason its an 8.5

But why would they end up together?

Sure, the audience wants it, and Mia and Sebastian probably consider it. But it's not obvious that things would work out for them.

They didn't have a perfect relationship. It was marred with communication issues -- the "fairy tale" version of it at the end was supposed to hint at that. Nonetheless, each of them was probably the best person for the other -- at that specific stage of their lives.

Mia needed Sebastian's encouragement to take bigger artistic leaps, which led to her becoming a big actress; Sebastian needed Mia's "push" to hunker down and seriously think about how he'd eventually open up a club, rather than just be a starving martyr of an artist.

If they tried to go beyond that by continuing the relationship when she went overseas, I don't think it would work. Sebastian *loves* jazz, and I think that alone would cause some strain since it's effectively his other girlfriend (hence his disinterest in meeting women per the suggestion of his sister at the beginning of the movie).

Most importantly, they simply didn't feel the need to keep in close contact over the years. It probably started with them being busy and hard to contact, but it regardless allowed their feelings for each other to cool down. They've had replacements and perhaps improvements to the voids left by the other person, so when they finally see each other again, there isn't a pressing need to rekindle the relationship.

I would disagreee that the desire for a long term relationship wasn't there. I didn't see anything in the movie to suggest that their love was fleeting. The most that happened was the one fight in the whole movie, that really was barely a fight at all, going back-and-forth about hunkering down over a dinner that Gosling made. There were no great moments to show that they were definitely made for each other, I agree, but the momentum of the story suggests a long-term thing. The whole time I was thinking "guys just use skype, fuck"

It wasn't that their love was fleeting, it was that in order to be successful, they couldn't divide their time between trying to make it AND maintain a healthy and good relationship. If Sebastian wanted to make the money for the club, he had to tour most of the time and not be with Mia, or if he wanted to move forward with opening his Club, he couldn't go to Paris for six months just to be with Mia. Similarly, in order to become a successful actress, she had to focus her attention to her craft and role in Paris since it wasn't just shooting a movie from a script, it was a demanding, several months long creative process with improvisation and creating a character from scratch, and not let her relationship with Sebastian distract her.

What? The whole film is about love though. The whole point of the film was that these two characters gave up on their love to pursue things which they thought were in their best interest but ultimately left them with regret.

>tfw she ends up having a daughter and a husband.
>he ends up Aline, cooking fried chicken for himself

I think that's what the scriptwriters thought, but that seems like a copout. Long term relationships are hard, but really? You're gonna go on tour or be shooting a movie on location for a few months so there's just noooo way? It's unbelievably common for people to do long term relationships, and do so well. I know of four friends offhand that have done it, and after waiting it out are now back together and happy.

Like I was saying, just use skype. This is a homage to old movies, but it's not set in the 20s. Use a laptop

It still hurts

>movies men won't understand
>Sup Forums doesn't understand it
lmao you literally can't make this up

Anyone else think there would be some weird ending when the montage scene started? I was prepared for an ending where we wouldn't be sure what really happened

What is Casablanca

white people problems: the movie

they were dishonest with each other

I mean, this is Chazelle's pet project and he's a (relatively) young man, so I'm sure he considered the Skype option.

I think Chazelle felt that characters weren't at the right stages in their lives to continue their relationship. I don't think it's a comment on it being impossible for the average person (in fact, the movie probably argues that pursuing the relationship is worth it), but just that Mia and Sebastian didn't want to do it.

Mia kind of inherently wanted some stability: she starts out the movie in a relationship with someone who IIRC was planning on marrying her. It'd be easy to think that that was just a mistake on her part, but she also came from a fairly stable home, where her aunt was her main source to dream big. Sebastian, again, would probably never be a "rock" for her and would always prefer a jazzier approach to life.

And again, this isn't to say that it couldn't work. But at the moment they agreed their relationship was basically over, they probably saw each others' negatives, saw that the one was outgrowing the other, and concluded that it'd be better to let them free.

feminism strikes again

I agree user. I wasn't crazy about the soundtrack and the ending was retarded.

Like you are clearly incredibly in love, in no reality would both of their retarded careers have ever prevented that from working out.

It only got oscars because its massive hollywood bait.