He can't watch films without subtitles

>he can't watch films without subtitles

SDH subtitles are maximum information mode for patrician viewers

I watch yank films with subs even though I'm English because they think whispering every line is dramatic and the music is always mixed too loud over the speech

The state of modern sound mixing is atrocious, even in the theater experience.

>he binge watches tv serie

It's to make sure I don't miss any dialogue.

>subtitles don't exactly match what's being said

This. What the fuck happened to the clearly spoken dialogue and action scenes that don't render the audience prematurely deaf?

>MAKING FUN OF THE DEAF

Do American popes really not trim their finger hair?

People these days have short attention span so they need LOUD NOISES

So I'm not the only one who thinks this. Thank god.
>watching movie with family
>music plays over a character's speech
>miss every other word
>if I pause the movie to look for subtitles it could take a while I might not even be able to find them
>can't tell if anyone else in the room wants subtitles because they are too pleb to understand the superior kino viewing experience anyway
I just always have subtitles on now whenever I watch a movie with anyone else. It's not a problem on my PC with my headpohones but through speakers it's just terrible.

>f I pause the movie to look for subtitles it could take a while I might not even be able to find them
What sort of obscure crap are you watching that you can't find subtitles for? It'd either be obscure, released this weekend, or for some foreign language. Just use subscene.com or whatever.

The problem normally comes when I find the subtitles for a movie but they are desynced. It happened with The Raid and Ong Bak where the subtitles progressively came later and later after each line to where there would be a 5 second delay between line and subtitle. I spent like 10 minutes looking for better ones but didn't find anything.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

>download movie
>no .srt

you dont know how to check the files beforehand?

oh yeah that's bad. For that sort of film, sometimes I'll put the subs on then just go like an hour in for a few seconds and see how the subs are synced up. Slight risk of spoilers I guess but hasn't been a problem yet.

>download movie
>subtitles are half a second ahead of audio

>mkv file
>subtitles aren't muxed in

>watch Seagal movie on HBO
>caption says "friggin" instead of "fuckin"

>trying to watch films with friends without subtitles

Never watch a movie without subtitles. Even in my own language.

>Mumbling
>Unintelligible accents and dialects
>Bad sound mixing
>I'm eating chips
>It's night, so I can't turn the volume up
>Watching with friends who keep talking

And the list goes on.

Fuck this. I once watched a movie where every single line of dialog was rewritten. I can understand shortening a few long sentences, but why the fuck would you rewrite everything?

this. always have subtitles.

ARE YOU ALL DEAF. YOU MAY AS WELL BE READING A FUCKING BOOK. HOLY FUCKING SHIT, DIDN'T KNOW THIS BOARD HAD SUCH AUSTISTIC PEOPLE.

no one catches every single word in a movie. you're a fucking liar if you say otherwise

>Watching American movie without subtitles
>Southern or ghetto nigga character appears
>*turn on English subtitles*

>various murrican and bong accents

really hard to understand what the fuck are those mouthbreathers saying

I do. I dont look away either. Unless its to peek at my frirnds who arent even watching the fuckong movie.

Gf wanted to eat while watching movie. She stared at the fucki g plate and fork long enough to miss shit ofc

Look I'm fucking foreign and it's tough to decipher all the hushed, fast-talking scenes.

Gotta say, been to too many shows and concerts, the high-end of my hearing range is a little BTFO, not gonna lie.

THAT'S WHY I'M LOOKING FOR AN MKV FILE FOR A FOREIGN MOVIE AND GET THIS BULLSHIT? GODAMMIT

My sister always demands that we enable subtitles, bitch what you can understand english just fine.

>Watch movie with additional subs
>Foreign character appears
>His dialog has hardcoded subs
>Additional subs say [speaking in foreign language], obstructing the hardcoded subs

>OP doesn't watch films with subtitles

What is wrong with you?

>Watch anime in English
>Turn on subtitles
>Subs are a translation of the Japanese audio and doesn't match at all.

>>Unintelligible accents and dialects
I don't understand why Anglos have such a hard time understanding each other. Even to a non native speaker it's rarely hard.

>Watch movie with subtitles
>Subtitles drift slowly out of sync, so you have to pause every ten minutes to adjust them

How the fuck does this even happen?

Shitty subs man, download movie with prepacked sub file, those usually are in perfect sync

Just try understanding the jabbering of northern english or scottish people without subtitles

>watches movie without subtitles
>doesn't understand shit
>downloads subtitles
>still doesn't understand shit
is this a common problem?

>each says something completely different

t-thanks

don't tell me there are English native speakers who can't understand that, I'm not even native and it's perfectly clear

>watch musical
>songs are not subbed

>It's dubtitles

thats shecklesqueer. what do you expect ya little bitch

It feels like a bad habit. I used to live with my grandfather, and he watched everything with subtitles because he lost most of his hearing in the Korean war. I still use subtitles when watching movies and shit because of him. It feels like something is missing otherwise.

Shakespearean English is completely understandable unless you are some kind of uncultured faggot from a farm.
Try Chaucer.

It's almost impossible to watch any Scottish or Australian movie without subs

I prefer kino with dubs.
btw checkum

you know you can adjust the timing right

i watch english movies with english sub, i'm from Scandinavia thou

Same here.

I can't even watch movies with my family any more.

>*dad shouting from kitchen* Hey user I'm making tea do you want some ?
>No thank you
>What ?
>No thank you
>Are you sure ?
>Yeah
>So you want some or not ?
>NO
>Hey there's no need to be like that I was only asking !
He will also go for a piss 4 or 5 times in a 90 minute movie, I told him he should see a doctor about it but he won't.

My mother will get up and go into the next room to watch her soaps and my sister will be loudly receiving whatsapp messages the whole time

>still living with your parents

lmao

I moved out 10 years ago

>watch a movie with subtitles
>curt words or phrases aren't translated

What the fuck Criterion?

I had to turn on subs for brandos early scenes in godfather part 1. Later in the movie it gets better

>watch a movie with subtitles
>foreign characters appear
>they are subtitled in their own language

How do you adjust them?

Some subtitles you find online might be a bit sketchy. I once found English subtitles for a movie that was ll out of whack, and when I read the description in turned out the subtitles was a translation of foreign subtitles.

that's a problem where the subs were made with a different framerate than the one your movie has.

directVobSub has a setting to tweak that if you're using it

Spotted the stupid Amerifat. Why is it as an Aussie I've never, nor have I met anyone, who needs subs for any English speaking foreign film?

What's with Americans needing everything subtitled? Even your tv shows, as soon as there's somebody with any hint of an accent, they suddenly subtitle it.

Dubs of Japanese variety shows are fucking horrible tbqh.

I'd rather watch them with Jap audio and English subs.

>He can't keep up with subs
>He watches everything dubbed

Because you fags talk retarded

>watch anime in english

usually changing the subtitle delay using the video player (mpv) fixes this for me

I used to always watch movie with subtitles because I was afraid I might miss something, even though my English was quite good. But reading subtitles usually means taking my eyes off of things like acting, camera work, visual cues, or hidden meanings. Plot and dialogues are just 2 parts of a movie, and often not even the most interesting or important part. I find movies much more enjoyable and engaging without subtitles.

this, it's comfier to read subtitles in most movies, unless it's an action flick or comedy

But that's whot I'm saying, is like, if you're fluent in the language, why're you needing subtitles? It just seems unnecessary, if you know it's not translated correctly, then why do you even need the bloody things?

Way to out yourself as a turbo-pleb.

Japs don't like filthy gaijin.

>Mum passes by
>Alright user?
>Yeah
>Dad passes by
>Hey user
>user do you want some tea

STOP TRYING TO SAY HELLO EVERY SINGLE TIME

>pour my spirits in thine ear
What did he mean by this?

use a better player.
People shit on vlc but has a built in subsynch system that help with small nuances like that.

you can say about dubbing all you want but at least we don't have this issue

when watching the same movie in the original
>EXPLOSION
>*turn down volume*
>whisper whisper
>dafuq are they saying *turn up volume*
>EXPLOSION
mfw

>watched the eagle
>only realised have way through i should've turned on the subtiles to understand the non english parts

still a shit film either way

I didn't know Tom was into kamige.