Why is this show so popular? What's it all about? Is it really that funny?

Why is this show so popular? What's it all about? Is it really that funny?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/rmcelhenney/status/777180523378597888?lang=en
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's funny.

A bunch of horrible people doing horrible things while constantly yelling at eachother.

Yes.

It's so shit. If this is what Americans find funny, I'm so sorry.

its very funny, all of them have distinct personalities and they dont get annoying when they overact.

its been reddit for a few years now but it used to be a great show

It was funny.

They're really trying to make Dee the most horrible and disgusting person in the history of TV shows.

It used to be funny up until season 7 but it was also hard for plebs to get into. Then they started getting lazy with the writing and relying too much on callbacks and other gimmicky shit, so the quality went to shit and the plebs got a whiff of that and started hovering.
I still watch it though. Every season has at least on or two good episodes, kinda like the water park episode in this season.

the fact people are still praising the water park episode which reused the same jokes over and over for 20 minutes is a testament to how bad its gotten

Thats the last one I watched, dropped this show like a bad crow.

Would you like it better if they incorporated a Muslim character who fucks your wife?

philadelphia is shit

This
What a horrible fucking city

>namefag
>projection
Opinion status: Discarded

>Is it really that funny?
No.

It's not really popular, only on the internet

There is a reason why it got demoted to FXX

The water park is a classic Sunny episode, for better or for worse. It's not the funniest episode ever but it has everything that made IASIP what it is; a show about a bunch of terrible people trying to relive their childhood/teen years fantasies and fucking over everbody around them in the process. That's why i liked that episode. Plus
>dat Frank going down the slide scene

easily the best sitcom I have ever watched, quality starts to go down after season 5 though. 8 is probably the last truly great season.

>a show about a bunch of terrible people trying to relive their childhood/teen years

So... You don't understand the show?

Season 1 is kino
Season 2-5 are kino with added bonus DeVito
Season 6-7 are pretty good
Season 8-10 are sometimes okay and sometimes shit
Season 11 and 12 have 1 or 2 great episodes each and the rest is dogshit

The show is built around the premise that a bunch of low-class narcissists only get worse and worse as time goes on. What the writers didn't realize is that as the characters' neuroses and manners got worse, so too would the show. Flanderization doesn't suddenly become okay just because they did it on purpose.

Top 10 best Sunny Eps:

1. DENNIS System
2. Charlie Work
3. Mac & Charlie Die
4. Nightman Cometh
5. The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis
6. Mac & Dennis Move to the Suburbs
7. The Gang Broke Dee
8. High School Reunion
9. The Waitress is Getting Married
10. The Gang Gets Analyzed

Because America loves Blackface.

>claims to have a deeper understanding
>doesn't discuss it

so you've either got nothing or are just trash at Sup Forums

>in no particular order
The Gang Gives Back (S2)
Dennis & Dee Go On Welfare (S2)
Mac Is A Serial Killer (S3)
The Gang Dances Their Asses Off (S3)
Sweet Dee Has a Heart Attack (S4)
The Gang Hits the Road (S5)
Mac and Dennis Break Up (S5)
The D.E.N.N.I.S. System (S5)
The Gang Goes to the Jersey Shore (S7)
The High School Reunion (S7)

There's about 10 other episodes that on another day could have made the list

I wanted to watch this but I saw this exert and it broke my fucking heart. Fuck this show.

Shut the fuck up faggot

I love how they never backed down from that.
A lesser show would have had a turning point in our modern PC contaminated culture where they'd have redeemed her somewhat in order not to be blamed for being sexist or misogynistic.
Dee however seems to get worse and worse with every season, and the guys continually treat her like shit for being the bird she is.

Charlie>Dennis>Frank>>Mac>>>>Dee

The thing is that she's the only one who actively seeks to ruin other peoples live just for the sake of ruining them.

Everyone else in the gang has a selfish, naive motive but Dee usually has none. She gets her kicks from just seeing people suffer.

It was.

Reminder why it's gone to shit.

twitter.com/rmcelhenney/status/777180523378597888?lang=en

I don't feel comfortable rating them like that personally, because of their shifting dynamics within the show and how each episode can vary in how much I like these characters or not.

Charlie has his god tier moments, but often he's rather just there in the background as the occasional jester, likeable because he's sparingly used for punchline moments .

Dennis goes from being the straight man voice of reason to GOLDEN GOD mode and everything in between, a little bit of build up and subtlety being key to making that memorable in an episode.

Frank works best when he's not in the spotlight or having an episode focused on him. He's great as an enabler of hijinx and weird shit happening, not so much as a main act, and as a late comer to the gang, I feel as if he doesn't always fit. But when he does, it's great.

Mac is pretty underrated, mostly because I think creator/writer/director Rob McElhenney purposefully puts him in the background often to focus on the other stuff while the rest of the characters get to shine. But he has some real great moments from time to time, even being the funnier one when paired up with Charlie.

And Dee I think is brilliant because her role is exactly to be hated. The gang's low opinion on her and just her overall terribleness makes it extremely satisfying to laugh at how much of a mess she is as a person, and the fact that she's usually rated so low by fans in comparison to the others is a show of Kaitlin Olson's strength as an actress rather than a weakness.

Dee was ok until she got The Mick and now her head is probably as big as her husbands old belly.

Reminder that you're full of shit because the writers have always been bleeding-heart liberals and the show turned sour BEFORE the diversity quota bullshit they pulled this season. Season 11 was dogshit and 8-10 had their fair share of stinkers too.

It's a symptom, not the cause.

Lisa said it best

>The thing is, there's not really anything wrong with the Itchy and Scratchy Show. It's as good as ever. But after so many years the characters just can't have the same impact they once had

AKA they have to keep getting zanier to counteract this and after so long it's really starting to show