SONICS IMMINENT

>Last night, Chris Hansen’s Sodo Arena Memorandum of Understanding expired after five years, though the agreement has become largely meaningless due to Hansen’s revised offer to privately fund the entire project.

>TODAY, we will learn the fate of OVG’s proposed makeover of KeyArena. The proposal is on the Seattle City Council’s agenda at 2pm, with a vote planned after public comment. You can watch the proceedings here:

youtube.com/watch?v=u276GAzDmy0

>KING5 Reporter Chris Daniels expects the Memorandum of Understanding to be approved.

>>The Seattle City Council on Monday is expected to approve a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for a $600 million, privately financed redevelopment of KeyArena. It's a move that's hoped will send a strong signal to the National Hockey League to bring a team to Seattle.

>>There is widespread belief among many people at City Hall that approval on Monday will send a strong signal to the National Hockey League about Seattle’s interest in housing a team in a new building on the Seattle Center campus. The NHL however, has remained mum on the possibilities. Two different franchises, in Calgary and Arizona, have current arena issues and the league has an uneven amount of teams in the West and East.

Other urls found in this thread:

sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhls-next-expansion-franchise-cost-600-700-million/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>THUGGIN' thread on PARLIAMENTARY PROCEDURE

It's lookin' real good.

I just moved to, like, three minutes from where the Thunderbirds play, and now ironically if this goes through, hockey would move back downtown.

t. Golden Knights

Why are these faggots so hellbent on renovating Key Arena instead of just letting somebody build a new arena? They had 1-2 offers for a new, privately funded arena and screwed them over because of land deals

Its finally happening

You guys even want a hockey team? All your home games will be filled with canucks fans.

>hellbent on renovating the arena
They tried a privately funded one, but couldn't find a place for it. Renovating the current arena solves the transportation issues, is cheaper, and results in a net profit for the city.

Other cities could learn a thing or two, the whole "give us free money for an arena, the attendance will totally pay you back" meme has been bullshit from the very beginning of sports.

No, pretty sure they'll be filled with fans of the Seattle franchise.

The Canucks already have an arena, which is where Canuck fans go.

we're used to it with the jays fans. as long as they bring money no one will care

Wait until there's a Seattle vs Vancouver game and see how many "fans" you'll have.

>Seattle is such a bad sports city that the owners moved the team to fucking Oklahoma
at least muh 12s are loud in that sound reflecting stadium

>he thinks billionaires made the difficult, deeply regrettable decision to relocate to a smaller market based solely on number of general admission seats sold

Gtfo normie fag, your image doesn't makes no sense with that text. Don't they teach how to make memes on Twitter, faggot?

Metropolitans soon lads

naw

it's happening and you can't stop it.

no its not and you cant prove me wrong

>shovels still not in the ground

moar like LITgislaton, amirite?

first the city council has to vote on Y/N toward the renovation plan and cost.

the city council is convened right now.

you can watch the meeting in that link.

>uneven number of teams in the west
>31 teams total
>brand new arena will be built within 3 years
>said arena is being built by an company with heavy ties to the NHL
>said company has worked every step of the way with the NBA and NHL
>Expansion will be touched on in the BoG meetings
>Unstable arena situations in Calgary and Arizona
>Quebec City doesn't have a prayer
>Billionaire Ownership group, with NHL connections, is ready to acquire a team

Houston gets the Coyotes, Seattle gets Expansion, it's happening.

Oh boy, I love city council meetings.

THEY JUST GOT TO IT IN THE AGENDA

quebec city has an arena the 500million and a proposal
meanwhile xheattle has yet another """""plan"""" to build an arena

ZERO (0) hard evidence to suggest that a nhl team is coming

>shovels in ground October 2018
>would open October 2020
>voting in moments to approve $600 million renovation

what is this post.

YQB applied at the same time as Vegas. They were accepted, QC was rejected.

That was it. You're done. Stop.

If Quebec City was getting an expansion team, they would have been awarded one in 2015. You know, when they actually applied for expansion?

there are 31 teams in the NHL, there are less teams in the west compared to the east, they are specifically bringing up expansion in the BoG meeting. Expansion to the west is going to happen. it is inevitable.

>unironically wanting to dilute the nba talent pool even more
>hoping to make another west coast nhl team
dead on arrival desu

>QC was rejected
*citation needed*

and if xheattle was getting a team they would have the money paid an arena built and a fucking proposal submitted to the board of governers

THEY DONT SO FUCK OFF

does quebec want an nba team

the nhl owners seem to have determined that based off the success of the knoits, a future expansion team will probably cost at least $600 mill.

sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhls-next-expansion-franchise-cost-600-700-million/

>there are less teams in the west compared to the east
As true as that is, the open spot is for central meaning the yotes or the flames would have to relocate to somewhere like Houston for Seattle to really get a chance

aren't they adding two teams the next expansion? wouldn't the other spot just go to a central city.

>teams are bad because there isn't enough talent
That is a lie sold to you by incompetent billionaires who refuse to take the blame for their own ineptness.

American football is played in one country only, and can support 32 teams. Basketball is played everywhere.

Go away.

Seattle can't submit a proposal now because the expansion process has not been opened yet. Like I said though, unlike in 2015, Seattle already has a multi-billion dollar ownership group that is ready to write a check immediately. The are also moments away from being metaphorically shovel ready on a new $660 million dollar arena. The money is there, the ownership is there, and unlike the QC ownership group, they are on the same page as Bettman. :^)

no, there are 31 teams right now, but both Calgary and Arizona have arena problems. there is a 99% chance one of those two teams get relocated. the most likely scenario is the Flames/Yotes get relocated to Houston and move to the central. Then, Seattle gets awarded a bid for an Expansion team that begins play in 2020.

Then, the concern shifts to the Hurricanes, who have absolute terrible fan support.

that's like a three-step process.

step one is happening literally right now.

GET ON WITH IT ALREADY JUAREZ FUCK

Players in the NBA are genetic freaks of nature with an incredible skill level. A 30 team NBA is already feeling the effects. And saying the NBA should expand when you admit owners and management are shit with the current talent pool means that the NBA shouldn't expand anyways. Let's just compound the process.

JUAREZ YOU VIRTUE SIGNALLING FUCK HURRY UP

Well that would mean there would be 9 teams in pacific and 8 in every other division. The NHL wants one more expansion because the teams are uneven at 31, and central currently only has 8 teams in it. Calgary and Arizona are both having issues keeping their arenas together and one will likely have to be moved. Either the yotes or the flames will probably be relocated to Houston, another city that keeps begging for an NHL team and would be automatically placed in the Central division, while Seattle will receive the expansion as they won't really be ready to house a team for a couple more years, but the preliminary steps are being taken right now so unlike the recent failed QC expansion, it's very likely Seattle will get an NHL team sometime within a few years.

planning to build an arena is not shovels in the ground
xheattle has been in step 1 for over 2 decades now

The meeting today is to pass a Memorandum of Understanding. Unlike the SoDo arena plan, this plan does not require any other council approval or street vacation. It's not "shovel ready" but after today, the builders begin finalizing the blue prints and hiring construction labor. this vote approves the arena, which gets Seattle over the hump they've been stuck at for the last decade.

HERE COMES SAWANT

I hope you guys brought popcorn, this is going to take awhile.

The nba has a player development problem not a talent problem. Take a team like the suns for example. Absolutely loaded with young talent and athletes but none of them have significantly improved from year to year because the organization is a dumpster fire

Just be sure to call your team the Metros and not the Mets or we'll sue you.

>Juarez
>muh storm
>muh feminists

Lads, Basketball is coming home!

WE NHL NOW

why are leafs on Sup Forums always mad?

Seattle Totems is a pretty sick name

I like the OG logo better

I like the name, but green+yellow is a nasty color scheme

I like it but any new team in Seattle is probably going to work from that color combination

So is this really happening now? Or is it going to get run down by SJW gaslighting like the SoDo bill?

>green+yellow is a nasty color scheme
John Deere is the greatest colour scheme, you goof

Thing is Seattle City government is complete shit. It is the Ideal Hillary Clinton Liberal paradise, or at least they are trying to make it one, making the city affordable only to people working for the local mega-corps, wasting money on a homeless problem while they continue to push people out of the city. Corporate Sponsored Liberalism. Can't wait for them to fuck this up too, it'll just be like Oak Groups hometown of LA, where the fans will still be arriving 3/4 of the way through the game because of the traffic nightmare.

Seattle doesn't like Green and Yellow. Most of the teams here wear Blue and Green. If it's the Totems, the color scheme is going to change.

this is extremely problematic

>Ideal Hillary Clinton Liberal paradise
But the bay area already has a team

The jews payed off the mayors and city council to block Hansen's arena and renovate Key arena. I'm not joking.

No it's not, it should either be the Thunderbirds or Metropolitans. We need to honor Seattle's hockey history.

>more teams
>this compounds the problem

I don't think you understand what words mean.

>doesn't know about the Seattle Totems

>been trying to build an arena for over 20 years
Now you're just inventing things, the didn't need one until ten years ago because the old one worked fine. They gave Hansen a five years MOU to do something, he didn't. That expired yesterday. Today we got our plan done.

haters gonna hate

No, the SoDo bill was ecologically dicey, and also opposed from the Right as well, since the businessmen at the pier didn't want to give up their space, in case the port ever expanded in the future.

This one renovates the current arena. No streets vacated, no one gets butthurt.

>traffic mightmare
The light rail alleviates traffic, and the traffic situation would be even better if the conservatives didn't keep voting for cuts on public buses.

>no one can afford to live there unless you work for a giant corporation
There are many employment opportunities outside of Microsoft or Amazon, and in fact the population boom and rise in prices is primarily Seattle and Redmond. I live outside Seattle, my rent is cheap, I can walk to the train and be downtown, or at a Mariners game, in half an hour.

Your argument is irrelevant.

>light rail
>calls someone else's argument irrelevant
I hope you at least got paid for making such a stupid comment. Next you'll be shilling the ferries too.

>and in fact the population boom and rise in prices is primarily Seattle and Redmond
ah gwailo i see you have met my relatives

I live in Denver and the light rail here makes it possible to go to any sporting event whule avoiding the traffic rush from the tech center into downtown where pepsi center, coors field, and mile high are all at. I don't see how that's a bad argument at all, public rail is a very easy way to avoid rush hour traffic to get to games.

only if you live near a rail station, otherwise it is taking a bus to the rail station or drive your car to a parking lot then walk to the rail station. So you have to pay for a bus, a parking spot and then light rail.

So what's the new NHL team going to be called lads?

xbox one x's

>Chris Hansen

1. Metropolitans
2. Thunderbirds
3. Fan vote bullshit
9000. Totems

That's fair, I do live near a light rail station with a free parking garage so I guess I'm kind of biased.

Honestly, Im cool with it. No more expansions, but relocation of a sunbelt team would be nice. No idea what they are smoking saying Calgary has a problem tho

Seattle Soyboys

calgary has a 34 year old arena

yeah but how does that effect Seattle?

I want one more expansion to make it 32, so it can be 8 teams per division.

some say they will move the flames to seattle since the city refuses to accommodate a publicly funded arena

Houston is also a possibility.

Seattle Salmon

flames aren't moving, Calgary will get it's arena

otherwise they will dump millions into renovating like Madison Square Gardens did for the rags

they dumped billions into the MSG
no one is spending that kind of money on the saddledome

Well it probably wouldn't take billions to get it up to standard in Calgary

It already seats enough fans. The biggest problem is that the roof needs to get reinforced. It wouldn't take much to renovate it, it would certainly cost less than a new rink

The difference is MSG is a venue in the middle of one of the most populated and wealthy cities on the planet and is more famous as a concert venue than a sports one.

nah. 31 was a bad idea already spreading talent to thin. I want a larger salary cap and deep 4 line teams.
that is pretty delusional. Have you seen the red sea? there is more money selling out a shitty 35 year old stadium than whatever a brand new stadium in another city does. Im not a flames fan but they are nevee getting relocated.
is right. it doesn't need to be "nice" just functional.

i suspect they were cheap with repairs following the flood under the expectations that a new arena would come in the next decade

why dump all that money into an existing structure it will only deteriorate further

the red sea?
you mean the one and only time the in that last 3 decades that flames made it past the second round? lmao

True, but the Saddledome isn't in that bad of shape. People talk about a building from the 80s as if it's a derelict barn. It sits enough people, it's just not as flashy as the new arenas

The Flames owners just want a shiny new stadium, and want the tax payers to pay for it. It's wrong, and now they are positioning themselves that they'll leave if they don't get it, because they know the city will cave and build it under threat of relocation. The politicians make way too much tax revenue to let them walk away.

Besides, The Flames are making money, and are one of the most successful franchises in the league. They wouldn't move before the Hurricanes (who are hundreds of millions in debt), the Panthers (who can't fill a stadium), or the Coyotes.

It's all negotiating tactics from the Flames owners and Bettman. It's Trumpian "Art of The Deal" bullshit. Just watch, the same thing happened in Edmonton a years ago, and they eventually caved and built their new arena.

wow this is great news, im sure all the supersonics fans in seattle are ecstatic, my congratulations to all 15,000 of you

I never said they were a good team retard. I meant have you seen the saddledome? Calgary can probably sell single game tickets for almost as much as sunbelt teams can sell season tickets. All to fans adored in $200 official merchandise who will pay to see a losing team. Why give that away to sell $50 tickets and 0 merch in a nice stadium. Only to pray to god they dont have a bad season that would fuck their entire revenue.

31 was a bad idea sure, but unless one team folds I'd rather the league stay even than just have central be 7 teams forever.

fold phoenix. Draft away all the players. increase cap space to accomadate. wont happen tho.

Bettman won't allow it. The yotes have been on life support for years, getting money from the league to stay afloat.

If the team folds, it will all be for nothing

not worth it. Renovatuona to that caliber happen because of the logistical/cost implications of finding a new land plot somewhere like new york. Calgary is a spread out borderline suburb city. finding somewhere to build a stadium for cheap is not hard.