Now that Catalonia voted 90% yes for independence, will anything actually happen with this result or what?

Now that Catalonia voted 90% yes for independence, will anything actually happen with this result or what?

Other urls found in this thread:

2ch.hk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sc*talonians will start a civil war they can't win.

just a lot of butthurt riots and everyday there will be a new story on the news about police brutality in the region

General strike has been called for
Honestly nobody knows what is going toto happen next

2,26 million catalans have voted, that makes 42% of the whole population of catalonia, 90% voted with yes and 8% with no. not sure whether this can be considered valid.

arrogant students in quebec will use it as an excuse to start striking again

You need to adjust that to the grown up population. Maybe it's more than 50% then.

It will surely change the position of Catalunya. They may not get independence but may obtain fiscal advantages. If they don't Spain is asking for problems to come back bigger in a few years.

i already did that, and still that would be not 50%.

ye das 42% of the vote-legible population, total pop is 7.5 million

Welcome to EU

Colombia decided to keep at war against the FARC, with only 9% of the vote-able population

society is really a joke nowadays

>nowadays
for most human history the people wouldn't get a say in anything

Alright. But the sample speaks volume tho. I think the Spanish government should give them a proper referendum.

why though? Spain is highly invested and dependent on Catalonia. If Catalonia gets independence they probably won't even pay teir debts. It would cripple Spain.

it's against the spanish constitution such a referendum. they had to change this first.

Some people voted several times

>It would cripple Spain.
Too bad for Spain, but the people of Catalonia is the boss of Catalonia, or at least that's how it ought to be.

Yeah. I guess so, but then they should change it.

Exactly.

Maybe if we cry enough, the EU will make Spain do what we want!

Spain can't use military force. EU won't allow it unless Spain recognises Catalonia as an independent nation.

>Spain considers Catalonia as Spain
>Spain considers Catalonians as Spaniards.
>Spain uses military against Spaniards
>EU suspends Spain
>Spain loses out on Germoney.

The Spanish federal government never recognized their right to hold the referendum in the first place.

There will be riots for the next couple of weeks, some joocey vids of Spanish riot police bashing in skulls, and a permanent state of bitching from the Catalonians about how they should be independent, much like Chechnya or NI Republicans.

That's it. Whole thing will blow over in a month.

It cannot be changed. Spaniards would never allow it. People like cum over thr constitution because they know it cannot be realistically changed in this way.

Because if they don't, Catalonia will drain their police resources every few years. Better to part on good terms and strike pleasant deals than drag this shit out much longer.

>EU won't allow it
EU agrees with Spain that regions dont have the right to secede. Also, EU doesn't get involved with the affairs of internal countries.

The only referendum they would approve would be a Spain-wide referendum. That may be a "legal" referendum (by Spains consideration), but it certainly wouldn't be a proper one.

Alternatively:

>Spain recognizes Catalonia as a distinct, independent and sovereign nation
>Declares war against them and invades
>Terms of surrender include reintegration into spanish federal territory.

IT'S GENIUS.

Don't hack the programm to keep track of who is voting and who isn't next time. The posibility to vote several times was also there for "no" voters anyways.

Spain, Catalonia included, will never pay denbts, like Greece.

>The posibility to vote several times was also there for "no" voters anyways.
How does this make the vote any more valid? It's bullshit.

Did you count the places where people were voting but the police violently took the votes?

That is the only path that could work, and even then, it's sketchy. Wouldn't be considered popular on a European scale.

Nothing will come of this. There will be a few days unrest and it'll all fizzle out. Spain will offer more autonomy maybe and a few extra sweetners and it'll all the hate speech from the independence movement will die out with a whimper

Most spaniards unironically think that's what you call a proper referendum too.

i took the number from Govern de la Generalitat de Catalunya.

>real life is just like a video game

Yeah no

>it's against the spanish constitution
lmao nice try enforcing it

The EU can suspend a member if they think there is a breach of human dignity/rights. Using military force against your own people could put you in that spot.

Question for the actual Spaniards in here: There was some video getting passed around the other day of a bunch of 20 somethings singing Cara al Sol, the Falangist anthem. The article was making it out to be "OH GOD LOOK AT THE YOUTH TURNING TO FASCISM OPENLY IN THE STREETS GOD HELP US RIGHT WING POPULISM AT IT AGAIN"

But I've seen other videos of people singing Cara al Sol before. It's not like Italy or GErmany where they banned all their old fascist shit. You guys seem to think Franco wasn't all that bad anyway. This was just some leftist overreaction shit, right?

It is ridiculous. It's on par with parliamentarians voting on their own salary.

>could
There is absolutely no way in hell the EU wouldn't step in at that point (if not sooner). It's not like Spain isn't dead weight economically, so making them mad is irrelevant compared to what kind of message it would send if they didn't do anything about it.

all fascism is bad, including trump

LA RECONQUISTA

It stopped being about the result when they did the hack and started closing schools. Arguably before, when they started sending policemen from all parts of Spain (a lot of them voluntaries already determined to bash skulls). It was about not obeying the goverment and doing the voting even if it wasn't allowed. Kinda like Ghandi.

It's not what I would have but this is W. Europe for you.

Seperatist movements are good.

They let us scoop up new flags.

Just like the EU stepped in during the troubles or Crimea.

Anyone from ESP can translate verbatim. what say president of Catalonia in this video

2ch.hk
/po/src/24792170/15069008788940.mp4

>The Spanish federal government
A man can dream...

When will comrade gucci liberate Atlanta?

Italy and Germany lost a war.

The Troubles began in the 60s. UK joined in 1973. Lisbon treaty was signed in 2007. Troubles ended in 1998.

Crimea nor Russia are EU members.

Spain needs to federalize, it's the only hope of staying intact.

Today, its citizen have decided in a collective way to create a pacific and democratic country.

>Ukraine
>being a member of the UE

Get cucked, Germany. Merkel spits on the name of Christianity and Democracy with her Muslim loving bullshit.

Maybe they will after the Spanish Civil War II; Catalonian Boogaloo.

Are you retarded?

It's a speech that is already started and I can't translate it literally. But basically he says what catalans have decided will be honoured. A country that is free, pacific and democratic. I saw parts of the speech and he was saying more stuff before, like starting to declare unilateral independence.

Thanks. If you will be in Russia -call me i give u some boutle of vodka and balalaika.

HOLY SHIT, WHAT KIND OF GOVERNMENT DOES SPAIN HAVE? THERES A KING AND A CENTRAL GOVERNMENT BUT NOT A FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AND A PRESIDENT AND A PRIME MINISTER?! THE FUCK.

HELP. WHO IS CRACKING SKULLS?

check his flag, it answers your question

>Catalonia claims independence
>Catalonia claims the signing of the Lissabon threaty
>Now 2 nations claim a single EU membership
>EU is forced to decide who they support.

so whats the reasonable alternative to democracy that hasnt been tried before?

>t. A state made of 50 states each having different laws

The English abbreviation is E.U. my french friend.

constitutional monarchy

my room mate didn't know what catalonia was
he also didn't know that spain had a king

we really aren't taught much in school about europe

Technocracy; people who know stuff about things.

You ask a random idiot to design you a machine, he might manage it. It'll be shit, but it'll be a machine.

But if you ask an engineer, he'll actually build you a machine that's good at what it's supposed to do.

Let's try it with designing a government.

Wait, why don't you have a king? Do you mean that Trump is also your head of state. Holy shit.

every man a king

Real Madrid vs Barcelona FC. Winner keeps Catalonia.

Thanks you too

You aren't retarded, right? The defining feature of american republicanism was the merger of the head of government and head of state into one person: the executive, aka the President.

Burger king doesn't count.

But seriously, trump is the guy who is in charge of signing all the laws?

Why would you do that though? Isn't the point of the head of state that he doesn't have a political side. So that everyone feels at ease.

He can veto laws and sign them after they've passed, but he can't write them. The legislature(the senate and house) write and pass the actual laws.

It's not a great idea, desu.

So if 52% of the house of lords and the house of commons votes in favour of a law a single guy can say "no"? And that guy can be from the opposite party? Seems a bit wonky

Because American constitutional republicanism derived it's right to rule from the people in recognition of inalienable rights, as opposed to divine right in monarchy. Therefore the head of state had to also be the head of government, since it is a government by and for the people.

they can override vetos

it's a bit complicated

But why would you give the head of state political power? That's a big problem in some scenarios.

He can veto the law if he wants, but then it gets sent back to them for another go around. Then they can pass it without his approval by a 2/3rd majority in both houses.

And Lords is Senate and Commons is Representatives here.

pls shut up if you're clueless about what you're saying

Because in american republicanism the state derives it's authority from the people, therefore the head of state must necessarily be a representative of the people.

But isn't the point of the 2/3rd majority rule that it can be only done if it is really needed. So much that political ideology doesn't matter.

You have got a system in which it is completely possible to have a hung parliament for years.

>blancs
>nuls

is that castillan or do they use the french words ?

King roughly takes the place of what other countries call the President of the Republic.

The President is the President of the Government, what in other countries would be called a Prime Minister. I guess that would be the "federal" government.

The Autonomy Presidents are just the presidents of an autonomy. All spanish regions except the two cities in N. Africa are grouped in Autonomies or groups of regions. For example Catalonia is an autonomy formed by Barcelona, Tarragona, Lerida and Gerona. There's autonomies with just one region like Asturias or Murcia. This autonomies and not the regions are what I would call closer to your states. Spaniards love to say how this system is a mix of federalism and centralism (both to defend and attack the system). Dunno how true this claim is.

The head of state is ceremonial here. It's to prevent weird political issues and so people feel connected to him/her without having to deal with politics.

Thats Catalan. It is closer to French than Castilian

Witnessed the Birth of a Nation

What about south-sudan?

If one party is ineffective at comrpomise or deal making, sure. But for the most part they find a way to work together. And yes, the 2/3rds after to veto is to ensure that if something is important enough, it gets passed.

And keep in mind, the veto wasn't designed initially to be a presidents way of saying "nah" i don't like this. That didn't start till Andrew Jackson. Originally it was concieved of as a kill switch only to be used in case of emergency,

who cares about those nogs

Yes americans are so retarded that in their quest to fight monarchy they invented monarchic presidents.

Right. But remember our history. Our King was an ocean away and represented leadership without connection or care for the populace to the Americans. You can see why we got rid of the position.

all right, I was curious about it because si and no look like castillan to a french but the 2 others stick out on an all castillan pic (well except resultats but we spell it résultats)
plus I'm from northern france so I never hear castillan nor speak spanish so I was confused

It's all Romantic, innit.

fascism is a meme

quebec is apparently fascist for wanting to exist, so fuck everyone

So who is cracking the Catalonian skulls right now. The "riot police". Whose police are they?

I think your country should have some political reforms. It seems a bit outdated. I get that it was impossible to find a royal family after you thrown out the Brits but you could at least split the head of state function and the head of government fucntion. Or maybe have 2 presidents like the Romans had.

Borders of Africa seem more fluid to in recent history. Interesting to see changes in the Western Europe which has largely been static since the last world wars.