So this douche says to Matt Damon: "Yeah, but I'll have a degree...

So this douche says to Matt Damon: "Yeah, but I'll have a degree, and you'll be serving fries to my kids at a drive-through on our way to a skiing trip."

Damon replies: "That may be, but at least I won't be unoriginal."

I mean, I get where he's coming from, since the guy was plagiarizing various authors to impress chicks and embarrass his friend, but working at a drive-through when you don't have a degree is one of the most unoriginal things you can do with your life, so his point sort of falls flat.

Am I the only one who has this issue with this particular scene?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MZ70hbvaPdU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Good Will Hunting it's a dumb movie, let it go

Won an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay, tho.

>tho.
fuck yourself

Yeah but Matt Damon got the digits.

My issue with the whole entire movie was how the fuck did Matt Damon ever get so smart? All he ever does it seems like is get drunk with his friends.

And it would be such an easy fix just one scene with him reading a book. Just show him reading a book one time the movie would have been so much better. Ben Affleck walks up to his house bangs on the door and cut to Matt Damon closing a book shut and getting up to leave there I just fixed everything.

It's been some time since I watched the movie, but are you sure there's no scenes like this? Seems obvious that they should've added at least one like that.

Yeah but you realize this is the beginning of the film and the plot is that this is exactly Will's problem. His character arc is him coming to terms with this and changing.

I'm pretty sure he read everything he needed to long before the movie took place. He'd already exhausted what conventional education had to teach him.

If he was plagiarizing couldn't he just report him to the dean? He'd be kicked out of school for that.

You have to realize that with a psued like the one in question, a guy who has to plagarize in order to sound smart, one of his greatest insecurities is that he won't ever be able to do something truly smart or original with his life. The superiority complex is just a facade to hide some really deep insecurities, and Matt Damon is fully aware of that which is why the insult has so much power.

Also being a super smart, well-read drive-through worker isn't exactly common.

They explained that when Maguire and Lambeau are having lunch together at that fancy restaurant when were talking about that Indian mathematician. Sometimes smarts is blessed on people with no real training. Also Hunting has a photographic memory and yes they showed his reading various books in his room, also showed stacks of read books in his room. Re-watch the movie dumbass.

Funny thing is though, that most college graduates will be working flipping burgers or pours coffees...the degrees have very little value these days...

He quotes directly from text several times and can do high tier level math in his head in seconds. I'm pretty sure it's implied he's studied before

Also he blatantly says at one point that you can learn everything you could ever want at the public library

fuck off Cyril you retard

Neither getting a degree or skipping college is a particularly original option. It's not meant to be a form of self-expression.

Smart answer, I'd upboat it if I could.

Isn't the very first scene in the movie him reading a book?

as a low IQ evolutionary dead-end it was hard to relate to this movie and Will's problems seemed very petty.

when the struggle for food and shelter has ended can't we turn our attention to other sources of pain and truth?

I"ve drank in that bar. It's on odd mix of townies and tourists

I stopped watching the movie after he said "do you like apples? HOW YA LIKE THEM APPLES!?" and I don't feel like I missed out on anything. Am I right or wrong?

it's not going to change your life but you should finish the movie, it's pretty good.

OP, I used to love Good Will Hunting but then you realize that it's the wish fulfillment of middle-upper class trust fund babies like Damon and Affleck who fantasize about being tough guys from the wrong side of the tracks but smarter than everyone else who can just walk into a higher income bracket whenever they feel like it. Oh and then hook up with another trust fund baby studying to be a doctor who wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire if he was a regular working class slob.

It's a pretty silly movie, but it's comfy. The best thing about it 20 years later (Jesus Christ I'm old) is Robin Williams. It's a truly great performance from him. Damon was much better a few years later in The Talented Mr. Ripley.

That scene literally exists.

He's sitting on his bed reading then gets up and does equations on the mirror.

>OP doesn't comprehend the human ego

LE EGO IS A SPOOK LMAO /LIT/ TOLD ME SO

P L E B

Are you retarded?

Why tho?

What was this guy's deal? Why did he want to humiliate Affleck? His character is never adressed again in the movie, so there's nothing that leaves us to assume he has a relationship of any sort with the girls in the first place.

the guys insult was rather baseless anyway, as damon is obviously a smart guy, so no reason to get butthurt over a hypothetical

He's just trying to get a reaction and oh gee he did.

How do ya like dem apples

SCOTTY'S GOTTA GO

This desu. When life doesnt work out, you will become cynical like this lad and I. Its inevitable

My boys wickhhed smarrt

college kids vs townies basically

That maths problem they put on the blackboard in the hallway is fucking easy.

Hunting is a self-insert kind of character.

They also go extra mile of making him look cool when he somehow has time to read every book on every subject and recall the exact page while being drunk.

youtube.com/watch?v=MZ70hbvaPdU

The entire premise is outdated. In the current year, you'll have a degree AND you'll be serving fries at the drive-through

>it's the wish fulfillment of middle-upper class trust fund babies like Damon and Affleck who fantasize about being tough guys

It's about trust fund babies Damon and Affleck going against everybody's wishes and running off to California to be in movies.

Which only proves that Oscars are dumb too.

Theres nothing wrong with being a trust fund baby

they were always garbage

fuck you

Has nobody itt actually met a genius-level IQ? I've only met one but after haphazardly graduating college at 16 he just fucked around and joined Lulzsec. Being incredibly naturally gifted doesn't require much work on their part to be smart, and it certainly doesn't mean they aren't lazy and petty like everyone else.

the whole concept of the movie is completely grandiose, absurd and artificial, but it still works as a story about a young underachiever who lacks a father figure. i went the other direction - hated the movie at first for the mary sue aspect but then i started to enjoy it. you can't really argue with the 'it's not your fault' scene for a cheap bit of vicarious therapy

So Matt Damon was too smart for a normal wage slave job or to start his own company? Or did he only get smart after working as the janitor

He's an idiot savant.

isn't that will's main flaw though? like at this point in the film he still thinks doing nothing with his life is fine but as the film goes on he matures and learns that he needs to commit to appreciating his intelligence and using it wisely etc etc, that moment kinda shows that he uses his intelligence to maintain superiority over threats and still lacks a lot of maturity

he was genius with no direction

No he's not, you stupid fuck.

gets mad at gramer on a website about kinos. just kill urself

You really have to be trying hard as fuck to not like this movie.

You kill you'reself you tryhard

why dont u?
why should u care how anyone types

He was an idiot savant.

not too smart, too bitter and insubordinate

>idiot savant
>website about kinos
faggots like you are what ruined this place, you should also learn what words mean.

So your getting mad that people are trolling? welcome to Sup Forums?

You all gave a similar unoriginal reply. I am sorry.

the movie isn't about intelligence, it's about wasting your potential

there's a difference between trolls and legit morons

good will hunting is one of the worst movies ever made and i feel like you have to be an absolute subhuman or a woman to like this flick. it's actually insulting watching this movie. almost every scene is trying so fucking hard to hit your emotions that it's just completely ineffective. i feel like i'm being manipulated and bombarded when watching it and it makes me angry that the retard who wrote this thinks so little of his audience. there's no subtlety and no thinking. the film tells you exactly how it wants you to feel and it does this the entire time, it never lets up. what an infuriating piece of garbage

thing is how do u really know whos srs and whos not. ur a legit moron if u just presume what people are.

Why was robin williams such a whiny cunt? What do you amercians like about him so much?

>i feel like i'm being manipulated and bombarded
literally every movie in the world

you were exposed faggot

They couldn't manipulate me in to thinking that ugly bitch was hot

>this entire post

It's O.K., it's not your fault.

that i dont care what some retard online thinks about me? thanks for the validation

>Why was robin williams such a whiny cunt? What do you amercians like about him so much?
I dont. I abhor him. I think its just nostalgia because the dude is not funny.

you care enough to keep replying moron

this nigga mad

if u say so. same to u?

garbage scene. fuck you

He clearly stated he doesn't care.

why don't you look up those words you misused instead of embarrassing yourself further?

u? so? same? u? to? if? say?
keep trying plz this is amusing

Is getting a degree any more "original" than working fast-food?

I feel like there were a few movies around that time that made the same mistake.

Patch Adams literally made the same mistake you just described.

So he was literally Sup Forums?

>genius level IQ
>spends his day doing nothing

Sup Forums is Casey Affleck.

Wants the double burger, can't afford it.

Shame that Dean Winters didn't get a a bigger career after Oz :(.

I wish Ryan O'Rielly was my older brother :(.

I have a genius level IQ and I work as an English teacher in Japan where I have to clean schools. Will I enjoy this movie?

>tfw when our old scholars public school basketball team beat a private school basketball team in the grandfinal tonight

Private school babbies are literally the worst

Robin Williams killed himself 3 years ago.

>you can learn everything you could ever want at the public library
Thats not true though. Most libraries often don't have specific scientific textbooks. He'd have to go to a university library and even then its definitely not guaranteed.

Not from fucking Harvard

It's about them running off to go make movies in Hollywood. Why do you think he goes to California at the end?

No.
I have a 150 IQ myself and met several mensa level people, but none of us were geniuses, just smart average people.

>tv
>genius level IQ
lol'd
according to themselves maybe.
I mean there was a thread few months ago where online test were posted and I'm the only one who scored 160. Even on online tests the average of this board is like 110