What are some French words that you've noticed Americans pronounce incorrectly? Canadians too if we have anything wrong

What are some French words that you've noticed Americans pronounce incorrectly? Canadians too if we have anything wrong.

Other urls found in this thread:

translate.google.fr/#fr/en/déjà-vu
vocaroo.com/i/s0SSmNp2iMFz
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What are you talking about? Canadians never do anything wrong, they're essentially perfect beings.

Connaisseur, there's probably a few but this one I'm sure

Most of the Americans I know can't into french R sound, which is odd since it's not that difficult

I was watching the Las Vegas shooting on the news when I noticed the news anchor said something wrong. I couldn't remember what it was so I'm looking for that word.

niche

Déjà-vu?

Does english have that french u sound?

clique

yeah they're going "déjà-voooo"

notre dame

they say "connoisseur" but that's the middle french version though

Depends on the accent mate, can never be sure.
However, pretty much each time I ve heard it, it seemed ok

nawter dayme

pretty much any of the former french colony city names like Des Moines, Orleans, Detroit, etc.

It's old though, they should update it

then they should update everything else like disgust, please, etc?
that's stupid

All of them

Not the basis of their whole language, just the old French ones (that have changed today)

This, Des Moines is pronounced "deh mwan", Detroit "dehtrwa", etc
but it's their cities now anyway so they pronounce it like they want i guess

well that's a lot
There's no reason for them to change it

this thread enrages and confuses me

>t. Désiré Ooga-Booga M'Bop

No

didn't even realize Detroit was french

All of them

Meh whatevs m8

>Désiré Ooga-Booga M'Bop
Je suis moitié anglais, user

why?

are you saying this in a mean way implying you don't know about new france and that it was irrelevant

Also
>champagne

Your french half should be enough to know how "u" sounds in French, shouldn't it?

How did you even begin to think I couldn't pronounce French (u)s?
I've lived in France my whole life and speak better French than English

no, i mean that i didn't know that the name Detroit was french. there isn't an obvious french-speaking community there like in Louisiana

English doesn't have guttural R's, so it feels weird trying to choke ourselves with our tongues just to say "Fromage"

Rendez-vous.

I hate how anglo-saxons make a german-like "r" and lenghten their vowels when saying something in french, it sounds fucking stupid but they always do that, then say french sounds stupid even though that's simply the way their pronounce it

Well if I got this correct anglos pronounce it And then there was So you're saying pronouncing "u" as the English "oo" is okay?

I really want to learn French but I give up every time I try

Pretty much all of them

Everything. Everytime there is someone supposedly speaking French in an American or British movie it's barely understandable

Also, many /ck/ related terms.
Crêpe, soufflé, crème, fondue, etc.

they just say reeeeennndeeez vooo
with a pronounced N
that's alright compared to other words, and I think they sound cute

It is acceptable, because they speak english and at least they're making an effort.
My father has lived in France for 30 years now and still stuggles with (u)s sometimes.

But like I said, a strong Scott accent for example can pronounce a French (u) sound

>"Sautéed"

Places: Des Moines, Lafayette, Illinois, Notre-Dame
Words: rendez-vous, déjà vu,
People: Justin Trudeau

>rändəvoo

>Brit mispronounces French
>i-it's the N-norman pronunciation

Every french word is cute in english, even hors d'oeuvre and plat de résistance.

well it means a narrow place between two coasts

Yeah well, I'm not blaming them, just pointing out it's incorrect. "Inacceptable" is a very subjective notion anyway.

>Lafayette
never heard an american say it wrong

Americans butcher any foregin word kek
They should be banned from saying any spanish word

Yeah its not their worst I agree

Champlain then

>déjà vu
Is it pronounced like "de-zhuh-vyou"?

translate.google.fr/#fr/en/déjà-vu
listen

vocaroo.com/i/s0SSmNp2iMFz

Fair enough

This, except for "je", "suce" et "des bites", for some reason americans pronounce those words perfectly

People in and around Detroit know the French pronunciation, we all learn it at a young age when we learn about local history, but we don't use it unless we're being posh. So at least we're knowingly saying it wrong.

americans dont speak beaner, only beans do that that think they're american (protip; they're not)

What is the english word for a "détroit"?

I think it's "strait"

American locations that end in "ville" come from French but they are pronounced "vill" when I believe they should be something like "viye"

Nah they got this one correct.

Ville is one of the few exception for the "ill" rule, this one makes an "l" sound and not a "y" sound.

>go to bongland
>ask for a menu ('meh-knee')
>bong lady corrects me and says it's 'menyu'
Why are bongs so butthurt about their French vocabulary?

>go to bongland
>ask for a knee
>get an elbow