A question to American football fans:

A question to American football fans:

Those of you who genuinely enjoy watching football (Soccer) and are only ones in your friend circle/family who do. What do you actually say to them when they ask why you like it? How do you explain to fellow Americans that the low scoring games don't matter, and that not everyone dives, and that it isn't actually boring etc. Do they listen? Have you ever actually turned someone into a soccer fan over there?

Other urls found in this thread:

deadspin.com/brazilian-soccer-club-rocked-by-locker-room-double-hand-1796682838
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_in_Russia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_in_Cuba
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Obviously not

Football is the 2nd most watched sport for under 30's in America

waiting for:
>Spics
>Poverty
>Third world
>Arabs

etc.

Football was better when burgers didn't care about it.

this desu

I don't really talk about soccer with other friends or family cause americans just dont care about it. I watch a couple american football games a week so I can keep up the conversation, but I wouldn't get into a discussion about watching the epl cl mls or anything that isnt the world cup

>. What do you actually say to them when they ask why you like it?
I was fucking 4 years old and told them i have fun playing so they kept re-enrolling me and then when i came of age i just actively tried out for teams at school/clubs etc
>How do you explain to fellow Americans that the low scoring games don't matter, and that not everyone dives, and that it isn't actually boring etc.
I don't, if its just friends giving me shit i can snap back especially if they watch niggercollide or boreball
> Do they listen? Have you ever actually turned someone into a soccer fan over there?
Yeah, i got my friend who was a track athlete to play some 5v5 and he ended up loving the sport, playing as a fullback for teams and supports PSG and all that shit

soccer isnt really as esoteric, as long as you dont like in duckfart nowhere, america

My friends who don't like it say it's because of the diving and playacting shit

idgaf though, shit is the most entertaining to me by far

nfl used to be my favorite till I grew out of middle school

9th grade must be pretty tough, huh

whats the appeal of football?
It's literally just "will he make the pass or not" or "will he run the ball or not"

I watch the sport because I'm an immigrant from a country where it's sport number 1, and i also like playing it. (No Im not Mexican you banal shithead, me is Nigerian)

>What do you actually say to them when they ask why you like it?

Nothing, as they are genuinely and utterly disinterested in the sport. Not in a contrarian sour grapes way, but a very genuine and depressing indifference. They are as concerned about football as someone in Mongolia would be concerned about an ultimate Frisbee league in Idaho.

You might think that /mls/ retards are simply trying to cope by emphasizing that they dont care (/mls/ does care), but they don't even begin to describe just how entirely football-agnostic American culture and society is. To truly understand it, you have to be here to see it for yourself. One poignant example is the fact whenever a USMNT match is being broadcast in any venue, I always found far more immigrants and tourists focused on the match that actual Americans. And if you think that it's localized, well this is an experience i've had all over the country, from Boston to San Diego. You will find a few pockets of interest in Hispanic heavy localities down in Florida,Texas, and Cali, but thats about it

It's a culture where the sport is still seen as this novel odd game that provides a safe and soft alternative for parents who don't want their children playing football or basketball. Past the age of 16, it becomes little more than a token extracurricular activity offered in high schools and universities everywhere, and something played for leisure. And the MLS, the vast majority of people in any MLS city probably don't even know that they have a team.

>Do they listen? Have you ever actually turned someone into a soccer fan over there?
Wait, why would you every try to convert anyone to your sport? If they don't like it then I'll simply move on. There is something utterly crinhy about the notion of trying to "win" someone over toy our sport.

To add to this, the only time I sense a hint of soccer interest here is when the world cup comes around. And even then, it's more about chanting USA (in a knowingly ironic way) and wearing patriotically themed outfits and eagle costumes than about football itself.

I don't ever ask anyone why they watch that boring ass sport. I just assume they're:
1. Retarded
2. A flaming fucking faggot

>inb4 "HURRR DURRRR AMERIFAT!"

What's the appeal of soccer?
It's literally just kicking a ball around and not making it into the giant gaping goal or just kicking a ball around and not making it into a giant gaping goal.

amerifat hurr durr

No one cares about your gay sport here

my dad likes soccer. he often watches the big european matches, some MLS games, and the world cup. he likes that there are little breaks within the action, and respects that the players can run around on approximately the length of a football field back and forth while maintaining their energy for 45+ minutes

lmao gay hahaha

>Friends

>being this unbearable

Okay, let me avoid offending your euro sensibilities;

Your sport is irrelevant. No one talks about it here, and seeing someone wearing Bundesliga or FC colors is a method for identifying foreigners. Get over yourselves, watching a bunch of stick men run a squiggly marathon on a grassy field for 90 minutes kicking a ball sucks farts from the fattest ads you can find.

Its funny as hell how Americans are triggered by the word "soccer". I love it. Keep on getting mad folks, its entertaining as fuck.

Got something against starving nigger children, Rodrigo?

no one ever asks why, all of my family and most of my friends watch it. The ones who don't watch usually watch the World Cup, and they get a kick out of it because it's an international competition and has exciting games.

The big issue I see with my friends is that interest falls off after such a competition because they expect it to remain like that every game. A few have changed opinions about it after watching more league play (especially Premier League); others just don't follow through because of early start times (keep in mind some games start as early as 4AM PST) or lack of understanding tactics. The ones who've accepted it also state that they found the draw matches boring before, but only because of that ignorance to tactics and being accustomed to having a winner and loser in a game.

t. CHI

says the fan of the semen-slurping sport
deadspin.com/brazilian-soccer-club-rocked-by-locker-room-double-hand-1796682838

>When an Arab attempts banter

>Your sport is irrelevant
>4 billions estimated fans worldwide

you dumb, silly cunt. If our sport is irrelevant what the fuck does that make yours? Oh i forgot something only matters when you fat, add retards in north american are interested in it. kys.

>when a spic posts a gif

I just say it is a very simple sport to understand and easy to watch and it is on at convenient times.
didn't read the rest lol

>4 billions estimated fans worldwide
Because they can't afford to play a good sport.

If they have to ask, they'll never know. 3 billion people can't be wrong.

>filename

Why the hell Americans spend so much time talking about a sport that they don't care? You don't see us trying to convince /cric/ that we don't care about cricket.

>Why the hell Americans spend so much time talking about a sport that they don't care?
just like brazil we are a large country filled with people of varied tastes. It isn't weird that there are a small percentage of people who like/care about it and a niche media that caters to them.

>good sport
lel, yeah your sports are amazing...

Soccer's a national punchline.

>engaging apes in discourse

you're a fucktard

You don't need to be upset.

They are as a matter of fact. And unlike you we're actually good at our national sports.

Got my dad into it because I took him to some >MLS games, but I try not to talk to people about it.

You misread what I wrote. I'm talking about those who claim to not care about it. Like this gentleman here He spends a lot of time in football threads telling us about how much he doesn't care.

People like him are just casuals that play FIFA on xbox and watch the world cup and get mad when it is pointed out how shit the national team is. Usually the kind of person who believed his whole life the childhood lies parents tell about America being #1 at everything in the world.

Because there are actually other countries who play our sport. We don't just play ourselves or our retarded cousins

HURRR AMERIFAT DURRRR

racist

>Other countries
Woah, watch out for the Dominican Republic! They're way tougher than a bunch of roided up Russians wearing armour on ice.

At least you guys are good at those piddly little Olympic events that nobody gives a shit about. That's something. Maybe next century your country can switch it up and win a spectator sport though.

huh? the most popular sport in russia is football

>According to Yandex search analysis results rating of the most popular sports among Russians: "Football topped the list of the most popular sports in Russia" with 5 to 10 million requests.
>Football (also known as soccer) is the number one sport in the country.[6][7][8][9]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_in_Russia

>No one cares about your gay sport here
right, that's why NBC paid almost $1billion for the rights to show the EPL in the US. come on burger boy, it's almost like you don't understand how capitalism works and that's virtually a crime here.

>no first world white country is green

sublime

>huh? the most popular sport in russia is football
Thanks for the unrelated factoid, nigger.

Football is the only sport that matters to like 80% of the countries around the world. Nobody here cares about the Olympics

Why do euros rely so much on numbers being boosted by irrelevant African and Asian countries?

Americans don't care about it, Pedro. You have nothing to worry about.

Because most of those countries can't afford to do anything but aimlessly kick a ball around a dirt field. It's sad when you think about it.

>Being this proud of your own ignorance

American is by far the worst first world counrty when it comes to crime, poverty and prison population. You literally have more aids then Mexico

>Nobody here cares about the Olympics
but that's bulllshit and saying that makes you sound like a burger.

in country x, some people love sport y, some people like sport y, some people hate sport y with a passion and many people are completely indifferent to sport y. this is hardly a nuanced argument but it's apparently way beyond Sup Forums Sup Forums Sup Forums's comprehension.

Venezuela's first sport is baseball and trinidad & tobago's is cricket
Also you could also play rugby or basketball without much money.

>Why do euros rely so much on numbers being boosted by irrelevant African and Asian countries?
Because if they relied on selling their sport on its own merits they'd immediately lose the argument.

I think it would still win

>Venezuela's first sport is baseball and trinidad & tobago's is cricket
More irrelevant factoids from the monkey.

Nobody asks me because nobody cares about soccer here.

Why are north americans (USA, Canada) so elitist. What makes the sport great is that any one can play it. I don't understand why you cunts can't see this.

Dominican republic isn't even a strong country in football. They are in baseball though, right?
The strong countries are: Brazil, argentina, italy, england, germany, spain, france etc..

I saw it on TV during the 2010 WC and have liked it ever since. The buildup to goals is fantastic and when goals are scored everyone goes nuts

>How do you explain to fellow Americans that the low scoring games don't matter, and that not everyone dives, and that it isn't actually boring etc.
I explain that you don't watch soccer just for the scoring, there are other things to watch for (passing, footwork, good saves, clearances) same as how you cheer for other things than just touchdowns when watching american football. I say that diving is just as looked down upon by soccer fans as it is soccer haters (at least here in the states, i.e. people get booed and jeered for diving at my local team's games). It isn't boring if you know how to watch for other stuff than just goals

>Do they listen?
Yeah most of the time, as most people who trash soccer have never actually watched a single game

>Have you ever actually turned someone into a soccer fan over there?
I got my dad and grandmother (RIP) into international soccer, but they couldn't give a fuck about club games (like most Americans)

>thinks it would still win on merit
>makes zero merit based arguments
Sounds about right.

>What makes the sport great is that any one can play it.
Yeah, it does look pretty easy.

>trinidad & tobago's first sport is cricket
this enrages the burger soccer fan

>What makes the sport great is that any one can play it.

Anyone can play baseball, hockey, football, and cricket too. Soccer isn't special.

They aren't irrelevant. You're just too dumb to understand my point.
You said poor countries can't afford something else and I showed two example of poor countries that do afford something else but your brain is too small to get that.

i just like it because i'm a hipster faggot and want to be viewed as different from everyone else

I know that, i'm just saying that in reference to how much more our country cares about football/ rugby/ cricket

>showed two examples
WOOOOAAAH!!!!! That blows my generalization out of the water.
Wait, no it doesn't. You're still a dumb nigger.

sweeping generalizations are the backbone to Sup Forums discussions

Yes, the Dominican Republic is usually top 5 in baseball, although the current world champion is the US (excluding Puerto Rico). In general, the US, Cuba, PR, Japan, Venezuela, and DR are the best.

>no reasons
why do you have a pre-disposed hatred towards soccer

Cuba and Dominican republic also have baseball as their first choice.
How many examples are necessary to show you're wrong?

True, but if you wanted to become a global superstar in South America/ Europe then football is the only real option.

Unless your main sporting rivals have a population over 100 million then there's literally nothing to brag about by beating them.

>Cuba
That soccer powerhouse? Good reference, nigger.

please stop embarrassing your fellow Americ...wait...it's a fucking leaf...i thought you people were better than us?

>cuba
>soccer powerhouse
u wat m8?

>Football is not so popular like Baseball or Boxing, but the Cuban National team took part in the 1938 World Cup and reached the quarter-final.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_in_Cuba

>global superstar
>in South America/ Europe
I think you should look up what global means.

>Unless your main sporting rivals have a population over 100 million, then there's literally nothing to brag about by beating them
>We literally have a population less than 100 million
He sunk his own ship to do absolutely nothing

>i thought you people were better than us?

Welcome to Sup Forums, newfriend

i can't remember the last time i saw a Sup Forumsb/pol/ thread worthy of the description 'discussion'....

the only time ive ever talked sawker with somebody was with some bong i was talking to at a party who told me he was a fan of everton. i didnt know enough about sawker to carry on the conversation.

>DUUUUUUUUH WE DON'T HAVE 100 MILLION PEOPLE ONLY OUR MAIN SPORTING RIVALS DO HUURRRRRR *shits pants and laughs*
That's why I said "sporting rivals" and not "unless your own country has 100 million people."

Why are soccer fans all such morons?

I tell them it’s super tense. It’s so hard to score and when you do, its orgasimc. Then, when we park the bus trying to hold the lead, to be comes tense again. If we win it’s orgasmic again. If we lose, it’s devistatong and you ponder what if’s

he was a canadian and an everton fan? interesting

>A global superstar born in one of those countries obviously.
Say what you want but players like Messi and Ronaldo are easily the worlds most famous current sportsmans. They are even known in Usa and Canada who are apparently indifferent to the sport they play

im not a soccer fan you fucking dumbass
who the fuck qualifies for that title in ice hockey except for the USA
More countries qualify for that title in soccer

>Messi and Ronaldo
Literal nobodies in America.

"There's action beyond scoring."

more countries with 100m+ people play soccer than ice hockey or american football or literally any other sport

>who the fuck qualifies for that title in ice hockey except for the USA
Russia you fucking retard. Don't you know anything?

>Why are soccer fans all such morons?

soccer fans are highly intelligent.

except crystal palace fans. they're just wankers.

russias main sport is football

most russians dont care about hokkei. they just use it for the national pride of beating westerners.

wait why are you retarded