Why did Latin mutate so easily?

In the span of a few centuries a whole host of languages popped into existence from Latin.

Curiously, Greek or Chinese in comparison has remained more or less the same for over 2000 years.

How come?

>2 thousand years of evolution
>"so easily"
greek has changed a lot, if you study ancient greek it has many differences too.

1st-quick expansion of the Roman Empire
2nd-the existence of two kinds of latin, a formal one and a vulgar one, beign the last one the taken for almost all latin-derived lenguages.

Muslim conquest?

> Chinese
You're trolling, aren't you?

All those different colors that you see on that map used to be separate kingdoms until 500 years ago, some even less than that.

Latin didn't change at all. Vulgar latin did.
It's like how slang is evolving today.

If it wasn't for the muslim conquests we probably would have yet another branch of romance languages in N. Africa.

>greek has changed a lot
Be that as it may, it certainly didn't turn into another language, or like, 20 as in the case of Latin.

if greece had had an empire as large as rome then it would have

>languages of oc are called occitan
>languages of oïl are called french
hate this meme
french is one of the languages of oïl
you could call the entire thing oïlitan

you could say the same about scandinavian countries i guess
might have to do with medieval socioeconomics, i assume

great, imagine getting called "oily" instead of "frog" by your anglo friends

Except Greek did change significantly. Modern Greek is about as different from Ancient Greek as Italian is from Latin. If you don't believe me, try speaking Ancient Greek in Athens today and see how well you're understood.

Greeks were unified and under an officially Greek-speaking state for like 1500 years where higher education meant studying ancient Greek texts and it was generallya lot about muh Greco-Roman herritage.

Contemporary Greek is way closer to ancient Greek than Italian is to Latin. People who have studied all four of them will tell you that. I remember watching a youtube channel of a multilingual guy and iirc he said he needed like 5 times more hours to learn Italian by knowing Latin.

kek
this has nothing to do with oil though

yeah just warning you: some things are better to be left alone

btw there's something OP's not taking in account or maybe he is but i didn't see mentioned in this thread:
1) external influence. italian, spanish, portuguese and french aren't pure slags from latin but the fusion with those pesky invading barbarians that formed the italian, the spanish, the portuguese and the french nations
in that sense italian also isn't that different from latin
2) on the contrary, ""greek"" (well, byzantine) and """"chinese"""" (which one? Qin? Han?) countries remained sorta kinda mono-ethnic and ruled by a single government which of course regulated the official language and every variation was considered accent or dialect
so yeah of course romance languages will split apart from each other while having profound similarities
what i noticed is that for romance: grammar is same, words are different
but in slavic case is reverse: words are same, grammar is different
dunno about germanian if someone can contribute

Wasn't Occitan a separate dialect to Latin?

yeah, just not a separate nation
many variations of french, spanish, etc. (dunno which else) got repressed by the official governments once they established their dominion

spanish has a lot of basque/iberian/celtic/germanic loan words, and then you have to add the arabic words, that anyway many of them were greek, persian or sanskrit in origin

>In the span of a few centuries
When the roman empire was around the written latin was already dead in spoken form.

You can account of over 2000 years of a development without standartized language.

>Greek, Chinese
Those changed a lot. And you can't understand Old Greek when you speak Modern Greek at all.

Also Chinese is a clusterfuck of dialects that can be considered their own languages. Their just all written with the same Pictograms that contain the information of meaning not the one of pronouncing.

I am Greek.
It is genuinly amazing how much more expressions we have in Hellenic.
+ it is a really basic language. The eords actually make sense.

kek m8 stop shitposting, surrenderfag
Vulgar latin ftw t b h

What other oïl languages exist?

German words are very similar across the languages. The grammar and phonology tends to be more variant.

i see. amazing slavs

>byzantine
>Monoethnic

the fuck?

occitan is occitano-romance along with catalan
it's part of the bigger family gallo-romance which includes the languages of oïl (french)
hope it makes it clearer

>sorta kinda
it's not like anatolians were so different to thesalonian... ok yeah they were
next time i gotta choose better english words

So catalan is closer to French than Spanish, linage-wise?

Hm Cousin is also Cousin in German.
>tfw discovered ancient French roots

Napoleon was a German!

Catalan is like occitan with big castillan influences if you will

>Chinese in comparison has remained more or less the same for over 2000 years
drooling fucking retard

Normand, but only in Jersey and Guernsey because the jacobin French State wiped out Normand language from the continent.

The more I learn about Britain, the more I love this country, at least they respect people.

Belgian and Luxembourguese (it's the same language)

Swiss speak Arpitan.

>w centuries a whole host of languages popped into existence from Latin.

Because people didn't go to school. Inevitably, Latin split into dozens of dialects.

I dont know anything about this, but I always thought Catalan wasnt native to its territory, but a language brought there by the "French" when Charlemagne created the Spanish Marche/County of Barcelona. It obviously spread and to the islands because of the Reconquista.

Aragonese is closely related to Catillian/Leonese/Portuguese. It doesnt make sense for the language of the Ebro river to suddenly change so much otherwise.

I remembered the channel: deka glossai
He apparently deleted his old videos. (I remember I watched them like 5 years ago)

it makes sense

The Irish and Scots disagree with you

>1 Latin languages are not product of a single language it is the mixture of Latin and the indigenous peoples languages (Francs, Visigoths, Vandals)

>2 Greek was considered a high class language by everyone even Romans

>3 ^that's why people tried to learn it as it was they weren't forced to learn it and had to come up with some hybridization in order to communicate

>4 We Greeks are very racists and we have been this way since 2000 bc so the language didn't have so many admixtures

>5 the Greek language can describe pretty much everything so there never was a need to adopt foreign words to describe something

>6 The only foreign words we use are of 2 types 1st type modern words about technology were the Greek counter part is just to complicated or 2nd type words that we had to use because other people could not understand ours

>7 In the Greek language words have specific meaning which means that the components of a word have their specific meaning as well and put together they produce something similar this leads to the phenomenon that the foreign words we use are only used by themselves not in synthesis (us components of other words)

Yes, a lot, but it's been corrupted by spanish a lot, the same than occitan in france.

For unique occitan look for aranese. So isolated they didn't even know it was spanish until recently. Lmao.

>istroromanian
dafuq?