What's it like living outside of the USA and like American sports? Do people think you're weird?

What's it like living outside of the USA and like American sports? Do people think you're weird?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolton_Robots_of_Doom
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nope, but if you say you follow a team you never saw in person, you are a plastic fuck.

No-one who lives outside of the USA likes American sports. It's not like "soccer" in the USA where the sport is unpopular in that country despite being the world's biggest sport. People couldn't give a shit about amerisports.

American sports teams are unironically better known as a brand rather than a sports team (people will wear a baseball cap with the NY or LA logo without even realising the logo is from an american baseball team).

Hmmmmmm

>replying to obvious bait by a fat, angered scouser

Tell that to all the people here Who post in the NFL and mlb threads was fractured Nigel.

My friends watch NFL and no, people don't think they're weird

hockey and basketball are the only American sports here with any precense

Well except NBA which is really popular i don't even know the rules of any other.
-nfl: ppl hit each other and sometimes soneone trow a ball with hand
-baseball:guy hits ball with wooden bat other guy catches it. It's a goal.
None will look you weird as everything unknown ppl will have healthy dose of curiously but after that you either like it or dont give a fuck. 95% of ppl dont give a fuck.

no-one does

Most people I know only watch the finals because they are hyped on media. I only know of my dad that follows the whole MLB season, not a particular team, he just really likes baseball.

But yeah, people that do follow a certain american team are weird as fuck. As I said I don't know any but there have been a lot of people interviewed, say before a NFL game here in México, and they are basket cases.

probably about as weird as liking soccer here unless you're a subhuman brown goblin

NFL and NBA are the only ones that have any real following in this country, dont give a fuck about basketball so can't comment on that but american football has a bit of a hipster type following
no-one really cares if you like an american sport frankly, it is just sport

When I lived in Sweden and Germany I'd see a guy with football pads and helmets every now and then. Also my ex (from Westfalen) had a 6'6 brother who played football. I think these two countries are the only ones where I've seen our sport played. Oh and Mexico, but fuck Mexico.

I imagine NBA being popular globally, MLB and NHL being popular regionally, and NFL not being popular outside America. Although not a day goes by when I see different flags discussing >our sports on the gennies

When I don't see different flags*** my grammar sucks

>I imagine NBA being popular globally
it is

I lik spor

Then why are our gamethreads like 20% foreign

American immigrants

Shut up crooked teeth

In Brazil I would say, from ok to weird, it goes like NBA > NFL > MLB=NHL

NBA has somewhat of a following here, so it's "acceptable" to be a fan of it.

Handegg and especially boreball are practically non-existant tho and you will be seen as weird if you tell someone you follow it, especially if you stay up at night to watch the games.

There are however a bit more people who watch the super bowl, but more because of the show part of the event rather than the actual game.

People here like the spurs because of ginobili but that's it

It's okay to have a passing interest in them, but anybody who seriously follows an American sport here is usually some weird fat goth. The only exception is black people liking Basketball.

It's not considered weird, which is mostly because nobody cares about those sports and never watched them even once in their entire lives.

If people actually knew just how terrible american "sports" are, people who liked them would probably be considered weird, yes.

Seems like the nba has a following in a lot of countries even if it's like the 2nd 3rd or 4th sport there

I only watch the American basketball league, it's fairly common in Argentina sice Ginobili joined

People here who watch American football or baseball would 100% get bullied

basketball is at least a sport in most places

literally no other country has a professional american football league, and very few others have a baseball or hockey league

also it helps that it seems like the NBA has the most diverse foreign players. Like Brazil got a handful of players in the NBA, and some even had modest success like Leandrinho, Varejão and Nenê. Baseball and Hockey get foreigners too but they are mainly from just a few countries (central america and japan for baseball, canada and russia and finland or whatever for hockey).

the only ''''socially acceptable'''' american sport here is the NBA and most people will think you're some kind of weird snob/childish

is basketball popular in uruguay? I thought you guys only cared about football

It's okay to like american sports here unless it's something retarded like niggercollide

I'll go through my own perception of the general perception of American sports fans in the UK.

American football: Easily the most predominant, although that's not saying much. It's becoming more accepted, matches are shown on TV and there are late night TV shows during the season discussing it. I think it's still seen as a bit of a joke by most people, that's certainly how I perceive it, but there's no doubting that there are a small number of fervent fans over here.

Basketball: Very occasionally I encounter someone who follows it. My dad actually follows it a bit because he used to play in high school and he keeps talking about some guy called Curry. Everyone knows Michael Jordan, probably the only athlete from one of the big 4 in America that is completely known over here. Strangely I think it's seen as more acceptable than American football though. Even though I don't think it's as widely followed it's definitely played a lot more. Most parks and sports halls have basketball hoops, I played a bit when I was a kid and had my own basketball. It seems less weird to follow basketball than handegg even though it is less followed over here.

Ice hockey and baseball: Completely non-existent. I knew a kid in primary school that played ice hockey, that's it. No one knows anything about either of them apart from The Mighty Ducks and Moneyball.

i like the NFL and i've been a Chargers "fan" for 4 years now
most people don't even know the existence of the sport and they think in the Superbowl you just play rugby or something and watch commercials
i showed the sport to my brother and he didn't like it
he calls it faggot-rugby now

nobody does that

In straya:
Chinks LOVE apehoop. Never understood why, they're no good at it.
There's a handful of NFL fans.
MLB/NHL followed exclusively by seppo expats and weirdos (me).

>(people will wear a baseball cap with the NY or LA logo without even realising the logo is from an american baseball team)
You mean wiggers

why hokkie

There's some German hockey players popping up in the NHL as of late

seppo?

Jesus dude

>handegg
lol
>luckswing
lol
>apehoop
NBA has decent visibility, Euro basketball too. Europe is where white Americans come to play.
>icefight
There is decent visibility, but not for NHL.

>basketball
Yeah, I also watch it! I just put a bet on GSW winning yesterday!

>hockey
Well user, so I guess you are a hockey player... Hm... I almost thought you were cute

>Football
Haha, you are such a yankee! What are you gonna do next? Eat a burger?!
>Baseball
[looks in disgust]

Tell that to Lazarbeam

Religious people in 'Straya are into baseball and hockey?

Hay cousin, how come Poland is shit at hockey?

You guys have winter and the Czechs right next-door are good at it, as are the Finns across the lake and the Russkies on the other side but the only Polack hockey players in the NHL are Canadian or American.

>one sport

Snooker and darts don't count, Vignesh.

>baseball
What about these guys?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolton_Robots_of_Doom

NFLfags here are cringly as fuck

This tbqh. There may be some special snowflakes here and there, but I've never heard anyone talk about Baseball or American Football.