Will we ever get a proper film adaption of Warhammer 40k?

Will we ever get a proper film adaption of Warhammer 40k?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hGJVq2kT0S8
youtube.com/watch?v=cZc6cr6G2E4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Nope

Awww :-( Imagine how badass this could be

youtube.com/watch?v=hGJVq2kT0S8

Fuck off

This is not related to Television or Films. You just want to post on another board other than those shit boards as you'll be called out by either the grognards or by the retards on Sup Forums.

Unlikely. It'd require too much work and too much money. Plus legal ramifications.

Stick with The Lord Inquisitor.

Have you surrendered your biomass to the hivemind today, Sup Forums?

>Not joining the Greater Good

>people actually like this cringefest

I'd like to see a trilogy dedicated to the Horus Heresy but it would probably never happen

Too over the top for normans.

Blah blah grimdark blah blah.

Welcome to fan fiction.

Already have one, should come 2018
youtube.com/watch?v=cZc6cr6G2E4

*blocks your path*

If this isn't done by the time I'm 40, I will go full Peter Jackson and make it happen. 40k would be great for movies

Why would anyone want a movie of this derivative bullshit space fantasy designed to part 13 year old boys dads of their money???

>check Sup Forums catalogue
>Literally 50% of the threads are complete dog shit
>this somehow isn't Sup Forums related
This board is almost worse than Sup Forums, almost.

From what properties does 40K derive its plot elements, my lad?

Cast him

Never

No normie interest and would require a capeshit type budget to do properly.

Maybe you could make a low budget Space Hulk but then your just remaking Alien except with some ubermensch soldiers

That's some Event Horizon shit.

Impossible. The scale required would be too big.

Unless they did Horus Hersey. That they could probably do if each movie got a LOTR-tier budget.

You could make thousands of 40k movies. The trick would be not trying to cover everything at once. Just pick one thing and tell the story, and normies would enjoy most of it because normies enjoy Sci fi

>LOTR-tier budget

So, regular blockbuster budget?

A TV series of random events would be better.

my fucking eyes hurt after reading that holy shit

Why would you want one? It'd be an endless slog of edgy teen space fascism and really terrible sci-fi and horror cliches that long ago stopped being ironic.

Do you want three hours of angry dudes on blue-screens shouting 'for the emperor" and delivering stilted pseudo-archaic dialogue? Because that's what you're going to get.

If you made this it would literally be the Warcraft movie but with gore and in space.

Horus heresy wouldn't be a good start for normies. If you wanted to do 40k right, the first movie would have to be imperial guard teaming up with eldar vs nids or orks. Nothing too fancy, just a generic Sci fi conflict story. Basically do everything that Sup Forums would hate and you will have success with normies

Oh I just pulled a name out of my ass because I couldn't think of any nice expensive movies.

My point is that it would need a nice meaty budget if it wanted to portray even a fraction of the shit that goes on in that universe.

Which is why I recommended the Horus Heresy. A nice straight course down the middle of a galaxy-shaping event with a few central characters.

Nicely done.

Horus Heresy is technically a bigger scale than 40k, but sure the characters are all human and it would actually be a meaningful story as opposed to a static grimderp setting.

A film couldn't hope to cover all the stories, prospero or istvaan are films in their own right.

Horus heresy would be 10/10 for 40k fans, but would probably be too much for normies. The central focus would have to be imperial guard, one of the guard has sex with a qt farseer, the normies will eat that shit up.

Hmm, maybe. But the HH series is pretty normie-friendly. It goes into great detail explaining how shit works as the characters experience it.

But a IG story would probably be not only cheaper but also more easily relatable. Perhaps you're right.

It would be a fucking huge story. One book per movie though, and a runtime of 3 hours with an 120921 hour extended edition. I'm kidding, but one movie per book may, as you mentioned, literally too little.

He'd be Loken you dumb cunt.

>it's a"40kiddie" episode

I don't know 40k, pls no bully

>bane?
>Cia?
>*blocks your path*
Fuck off

Oh, sorry for calling you a dumb cunt then. Mads would be better for Loken though. Google him if you want some nice backstory.

Look at how the authors handled it, using side characters who just witness a couple of the million planetary assaults and happen to be around for the conflicts. Also there's not much scope for politics in 40k.

The only hope is maybe following a rogue trader or inquisitor doing some minor thing and witnessing bigger events or MAYBE follow the Primarchs in 30k possibly from the position of Malcador.

The first movie would have to be Imperial Guard and establish Space Marines and the Emperor and shit, so normies have a sort of reference point of where humanity is at.

I've actually been thinking of what would make a good intro to 40k movie. The main character would have to be female, and important, so a woman commissar or Sgt or something. Intro of the movie gives a brief overview of the setting, Montage of the various factions killing the fuck out of each other while she narrates, end of the intro shows her family being eaten by nids cause muh big evil xenos will make normies feel emotion, then the movie begins and the nids are coming back to attack another planet, only now she's grown up and is miss Uber female soldier, eldar show up to help because normies love elves, and the evil nids either get beaten or the movie ends in exterminatus. Don't even bother trying to tell any proper stories until you've tested the waters

I would love it, but I just can't see a movie made without the lore either being completely butchered and watered down to make it more PC or it becoming a grimdark clusterfuck that makes it all look really silly. And the 40k universe is silly, but it's easier to go with it when it's in a book format, rather than live action.
Would love to be proven wrong though.

>female

You can't sell a mostly-male-driven universe with a female protagonist.

I actually don't think you can sell a mostly-male-driven universe at all anymore.

40k thread?

I read some of my buddy's codex books back in the day. If I wanted to get into the novels, where should I start?

>Horus?
>Emperor?
>*blocks your path*

What topics interest you? Favorite race?

15 hours

I agree, that why the protagonist needs to be a strong in dependant womenzzz, men will be interested in the movie simply because it's about war. You really just need to capture the female audience, hence nids should be the bad guys

>that feelio when Dawn of War 3 looks like utter shit

Chaos Space Marines and Eldar were the only two he had, I dug em.

>You really just need to capture the female audience, hence nids should be the bad guys

Bitches love nids though.

Dune, Star Wars, and numerous elderly science fiction books; also, Lord of the Rings via Dungeons and Dragons.

While I agree that the nids should be the baddies, I still don't know if I'm sold on the female protagonist.

While I see how it would appeal to a broader audience, it will cause civil war in the 40k community. There will be the turbo-autists who will (legitimately) argue that women aren't known for accomplishing much in this universe, versus the libcucks who will argue that 40k needs to appeal to a wider audience.

And honestly, I'm not really sure that's a war I'd be willing instigate for ONE good 40k show.

what about adepta sororitas? they're shit but they're women

Eisenhorn or Gaunt's Ghosts. The first reads like a action-thriller with detective vibes, while the other is 40k's version of the sword and sandals genre.

And of course they both revolve around epic scenery and conflicts.

>expecting glorified nuns to carry your series

>40k's version of the sword and sandals genre
Actually scratch that, I misspoke. You follow a regiment of the IG in different conflict in one of the countless massive wars in 40k.

sisters of silence then

Hey that might actually work.

I'm sure women everywhere will love the idea of silence.

40k is one of the most cringe fanbases.
on par with sonic and metal music

Fuck play it off as some disability-like thing and have her thoughts narrated to us, and what started as a hard-sell might make for an interesting part of the character.

Is there a market for R-rated sci fi?

there's a market for R-rated capeshit

I know it's complete and utter shit when you try to appeal to everyone, but unless you have an amazing history to fall on like lotr, you pretty much have to appeal to everyone. If we made a proper 40k movie that fans would love it would be great for us, but maybe not so great for profit, and shitty profit means no more movies of that setting. If some eccentric billionaire wanted to fund a 40k movie for the true fans I would be all over that shit, and Horus heresy would be the way to go, but sadly I doubt that will happen, so we would need something that can hook the audience the same way Star wars did in the 70's.

And honestly, the argument about competent women in warhammer is happening either way, it rages on daily as we speak, so I wouldn't think twice about just putting a female protagonist since people are going to bitch anyways

we'd have to be told more about what the sisters are, we don't know what traumatised them so much or where the pariah gene comes from. Also the Emperor tolerates their company and they are totally loyal even though he's a psyker.

>comparing tounge-in-cheek comedy to gridark
nah, 40k should stay off the big screen. Animated series could work well tho

>40k is tongue in cheek

kek

I meant R-Rated capeshit

Quick Sup Forums! Drop your 40k movie ideas! I'll start

I would say keep it simple for the first movie (we franchise now).
>focus on a single peaceful imperial world
>make the main characters guardsmen, arbiters or something fairly relatable
>maybe even PDF troops who is as ignorant of the galaxy's situation as the audience
>chaos_is_at_work.jpg
>worldwide rebellion, but only in the form of "conventional" enemies as in corrupted PDF troopers
>shit goes down
>plenty of action not to different from the average action movie
>more unconventional enemies starts appearing
>maybe get a horror wipe going in the second act of the movie
>end movie with the actual IG showing up and beginning to purge the chaos threat
>maybe bring some marines/sisters/inquisitors along
>ready for anthology franchise

And the you slowly ramp it up with each movie.

>small contingent of marines goes on patrol or smth
>gets ambushed by orkz
>but oh no, eldars are here as well
>3 way ensues
>they all lose when chaos/nids show up

>post credits scene of tau arriving and surveying the carnage left by the battle like the crying indian.

How come nobody understands how any of their tech works in this universe? It's been 10000 years and they still have no idea how the throne works...

dark age of technology, they've got like 30,000 years of lost knowledge, not gonna be able to rediscover all that with an endless war going on
especially when those who are trying to rediscover it are held back by the fact that they've trapped sentient robots, who wants to kill all life, in their library

When the machine you are trying to figure out how it works gets angry about you poking and prodding it and tries to kill you, it really slows down the whole reverse engineering thing

>space marines
>losing to chaos/nids

There are lots of reasons

For one the Adeptus Mechanicus conflate technology with relgiion, which slows things down

For another during the Age of Technology the sum total of human knowledge was resolved down to very advanced computer AI systems called STCs, so if you wanted to build something you just got an STC for it and followed the plans, you didn't actually need to know anything about it. So for a long time even before the Age of Strife people didn't really know science or engineering because they didn't have to.

>we will never get a full budget, live action 40k tv show
>we will never get a full budget Witcher tv show
Feels bad, lad.

No it can not be adapted it's too ridiculous

13th Black Crusade. Because you did so well the last 12 times.

Fun Fact: Every one of the Ark Mechanicus' is a fully functional STC but no one can interface with one without losing their memories or going insane

Well hey Cadia is destroyed now so Abbadon got over his armless disability and did something

I don't think you realize just how many tyranids there are

>what is the most generic story in the 40k universe

the entire universe is generic as fuck but with unnecessary grimdark sprinkled in

>generic as fuck

What else is it like?

literally every fantasy setting ever
>humans
>orcs
>elves
>undead
>demons
BUT IN SPAAAAAAAACE

no one cares about your edgy fantasy novels. please have sex

By that token you can say any space opera is generic as fuck because they all have spaceships

That was the most pretentious, edgy, middle school shit I've ever read on this site.

Who would pay to watch this pablum for manchildren?

Most of them are pretty generic, yeah. Also, why don't you try telling me why WH isn't generic? Like I said, it's entire thing is "fantasy races in space"

I don't really know if I can communicate with something like you, and even if I manage it it would only be detrimental to me I think

This, honestly. 40k is fun to read about and play games in, and it has a unique atmosphere, but none of that would be translated to a movie which would inevitably be about the least interesting element of the setting, which is Space Marines.

so instead of telling me what separates WH from droves of other generic fantasy setting you'll just try and insult me? Great job m8, you just proved that WH is babby's first sci-fi

>the least interesting element of the setting, which is Space Marines
This. I don't understand why anyone who knows about the setting would want to hear or see more about these guys.

Make the movie about the gothic sector. Battle fleet gothic is already is own off shoot that's pretty fun.

Lance broadsides and fully macro batteries would be pretty neat to see.

Also ramming other ships lots of that.

i don'y think you realize how OP veteran marines are
and they shall know no fear