/lbg/- Letterboxd General

Summer is almost here edition.

Previous thread: >Not sure what letterboxd is all about?
The mission of /lbg/ is to promote the intelligent discussion of film as art by providing members with opportunities for intellectual discussion, by recognizing patrician taste through examinations and by calling out embryos as they arise.

>Haven't got an account? Follow this link and sign up today!
letterboxd.com

QOOT: Why would you stay inside and watch movies when the weather is nice outside?

>News
Threads continue to be mostly archive spam. But who can even tell the difference?

Use as a link to find the /lbg/ thread.

Remember the following:
>Patricians occasionally read these generals and have posted here before.
>Patricians may pretend to be normal users asking for recommendations and when you recommend something, they laugh at you for your plebian taste
>This is a thread for funposting purposes only don't offer or expect serious discussion.

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/film/2017/mar/08/hugh-jackman-enzo-ferrari-michael-mann-biopic
strawpoll.me/12493368
letterboxd.com/film/bitter-lake/
youtube.com/watch?v=k6EQAOmJrbw
youtube.com/watch?v=dhZTNgAs4Fc
youtube.com/watch?v=YttscNOoAjA
letterboxd.com/Quimerinha/
letterboxd.com/FutureDays/
letterboxd.com/Arokz/
dis.Sup
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

inb4 butthurt robot user

>>The mission of /lbg/ is to promote the intelligent discussion of film as art
why do people keep seeking art in a product from people in a mass industry whose decision are based on money. Why do you deny that films are just films / why are you so nihilistic by taking seriously your fantasy of transcendence through the activities of other people ?

>watching studio movies
Wrong general my friend, fuck off back to

You're the one that seems like the cynical nihilist here, fella. Films are a collaborative art.

>why do people keep seeking art in a product from people in a mass industry whose decision are based on money. Why do you deny that films are just films /
Art can be anywhere. The circumstances of a films creation doesn't matter w/r/t it being art or not.

>why are you so nihilistic by taking seriously your fantasy of transcendence through the activities of other people ?
Not sure what this means.

Bump

Nothing wrong with studio movies, many of the greatest directors are of the classic Hollywood studio era.

>narrative "films"
Embarrassing to say the least...

Never said anything about watching them for the plot.

Should I go watch La La Land with symphony orchestra if I didn't really like the film that much

>with symphony orchestra
How does that work?

because reading is too hard for fa/tv/irgins.

Films are visual art. Books are better for communicating ideas. Why do you make it either one or the other?

they play instruments and the instruments make noises

So there's no dialogue?

yeah they play the film

>Films are visual art.
lol no

What are they, then?

Entertainment.

So visual art can't be entertaining?

Got it, champ.

Emily Jean is amazing

>Art can be anywhere. The circumstances of a films creation doesn't matter w/r/t it being art or not.
wrong

In your opinion, which you haven't backed up in the slightest.

>which you haven't backed up in the slightest.
neither did the post i was replying to

#winner

Stíny horkého léta

Stíny horkého léta

Holy fuck. Was NOT expecting this.

theguardian.com/film/2017/mar/08/hugh-jackman-enzo-ferrari-michael-mann-biopic

Terrible.

Is it allowed to post a meme here? I will not make it a habit, I promise.

wtf?????? do u want too ruin this general?????!!!

I'm just happy they've found someone. The summer 2018 start date for filming isn't too thrilling, however. Means the movie probably won't be out until 2019. Mann's got a lot of projects in the works so maybe with luck we will see something else before then.

strawpoll.me/12493368

Take solace, /lbg/, the spammer won't be around for at least 9 hours.

bump

How come?

dunno, they only come out at night, perhaps they're tucked up in bed right now, dreaming the dream

must be an ameretard

Hi, I'm Dropout_Cuck and I love ugly poo in loo bitches.

Bitter Lake is sooo much better than Hypernormalisation, it's not even funny

>I marginalize art

letterboxd.com/film/bitter-lake/

>Wake up
>Amaranth is now following me
Was a good day, lads

WHAT'S UP FAGS

>being this pathetic

you mad

ur on ur way lad

youtube.com/watch?v=k6EQAOmJrbw

Well played.

@72221196
>Hamboigah
Literally R*ddit

Why would she follow you of all people?

>can't count ip
mmmm

he literally affirms that father Assad was the one who introduced suicide bombing to the West. top kek, how delusional can one man be?

dunno

Is doogtooth good?

You like D&D, Audrey Hepburn, Fangoria, Harry Houdini and croquet. You can't swim, you can't dance, and you don't know karate. Face it, your never gonna make it.

It's alright, probably his best to date.

who dis?

me, newfriend

youtube.com/watch?v=YttscNOoAjA

what's up with negativity

it's such a boring and useless attitude

looks like pretentious crap that only got attention through shock value. it's interesting but nothing more

>still only 5'6"
lmaoing rn

>looks like pretentious crap that only got attention through shock value
I don't think that's necessarily true. I'm no great fan of the movie so I'm not going to waste time defending it. I'll merely say this criticism, such that it is, is somewhat off base.

I wanna go to the movies with my gf, should i watch Moonlight or Kong?
I haven't seen Moonlight yet.
letterboxd.com/Quimerinha/

Healey was supposed to save cinema. He was the next fucking Lynch and now he's nothing
What happened?

But is is nothing more. It's >look how easy humans can be manipulated #16309
just in yet another package. a package with shock value because incest and violence.

But is is nothing more. It's >look how easy humans can be manipulated #16309
just in yet another package. a package with shock value because incest and violence.

Has Healey actually made anything good? Not trying to disrespect, genuinely curious, I haven't seen anything that he's made.

What the fuck do you think?

Check out Golem if you like The Element of Crime. Some similar vibes

letterboxd.com/FutureDays/

Is Maggie actually good?

Why is memed so much then?

helo
why amaranth in tv show

>Golem
I was always more of a Ga Ga and Ob-i ob-a type of guy.

letterboxd.com/27AMDi34/

>avant-garde
>short form
>nonobjective
>verse-film
>structuralism
>video art

Any streams?

She wishes she was Amaranth!

letterboxd.com/Arokz/

I like you, you're a good new user.

Is The Insider Mann's first great film? I think it probably is, but I'll re-watch Heat to see if that fits. Ali is his first masterpiece.

Reminder that these threads aren't run by actual /lbg/ members anymore. They abandoned it long ago, after they saw who came into the threads:

dis.Sup Forums.org/read/anime/1392740610/200

have you not seen Thief?

Actual not memeing question, why does Mann appeal so much to the Sup Forums type crowd? What is it about his films?

Of course I've seen Thief. It's okay but not on the level of his later work. I re-watched the Director's Cut recently and found it very underwhelming with little of interest in the filmmaking and visual style. It doesn't seem that much different from a random 1980 film made by a lesser director.

Because up until very recently, Sup Forums (and by extension lbg) have always been built on people relentlessly signaling and countersignaling in an enormous game of metacontrarianism. This is no longer the case with Sup Forums as a board because it has been taken over by redditors who unironically circlejerk over capeshit, GoT, and Dr. Who, but it is still very much the case for lbg, Letterboxd, Mubifags, and other groups of self-described "cinephiles"

When I say metacontrarianism this is best summed up by the vulgar auterism movement, which is basically comprised of people attempting to distinguish themselves from the masses by defending "unorthodox" directors and films as art ("unorthodox" should be read as "shit"). See: Paul WS Anderson, Tony Scott, Michael Mann, etc.

While any human being not caught up in a narcissistic status game would watch Miami Vice and rightly call it garbage, metacontrarians are so dependent on the uniqueness of their taste in film as social proof of their worth as human beings that they can watch Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx walk angstily around a club as a Linkin Park / Jay-Z mashup plays in the background and call it high art as long as someone thinks they're clever for doing so

Nice copypasta.

>metacontrarianism

aren't de palma mann and ferrara pretty well respected directors at least by people who feel something for their themes
like lars von trier but lars isn't vulgar autuerism or is he
i thought va was supposed to be about directors who make proper shit not established genuine artists like de palma where the argument is not about whether his films are art but only abuot whether they are good art
va's should watch uwe boll because that man makes garbage but has quantifiable skill in making something out of absolutely nothing
pompeii on the other hand is tepid gladiator/spartaus clone game of thrones tier direction with nice cgi sequences at the end

So you're saying that people who think that Zack Synder is a great director are being meta-metacontrarians.

After all, that's being meta over cape shit.

de palma, mann, and ferrara used to be respected, but aren't really now among the general populace, except for earlier films.
lars isn't va
va is just classical auteurism
boll doesn't seem to have a grasp on even the basics of filmmaking, whereas most/all of the other va staples clearly do.
pompeii is a masterpiece, you are straight up wrong

>being a chronological order fag

literally no real reason to do this

>>being a chronological order fag

claiming you are re-evaluating de palma is like claiming you are re-evaluating someone like peckinpah who has always made a specific type of film with a specific artistic direction which was never for everyone and you deciding that you like it is not groundbreaking it just means you disagree with the same pleb critics who today reject films like exodus while embracing oscar bait

as for mann and ferrara they constitute and have always constituted the underbelly of the mainstream and regardless of their occasional successes they have always been divisive and you aren't doing anything new by saying they're good

boll has manipulated the german/european filmmaking industry in true neet fashion and while you're right that he doesn't display understanding of filmmaking he does what he does pretty well and has a definite gung-ho style which is undeniably attractive. bloodrayne 2 looks like it was made for under £100 and is still fun and has great tongue in cheek humour because boll knows exactly the kinds of films he makes

i can't imagine anyone thinking the first 3/4 of pompeii isn't boring and groan-worthy as fuck unless they hadn't seen the films it rips off, and when i say rips off i mean it straight up lifts shit from them, doing the exact same scenes but with garbage actors and dialogue. i imagine people who like pompeii think their is a sensuality to it like mv but there isn't and the little emotion there is totally washed out by the incredibly trite background and setting

as for chronological stuff, if you don't yet know the feeling of watching a truly great and prolific director grow from their first film to their last i feel sorry for you, and if you consider yourself a va or any kind of auteurist and don't think chronology is important you are retarded

this is 100% true
the lbxd canon is utter bullshit because you're all afraid to have real opinions incase someone calls you a pleb

man tsar is so much better at talking bout film than literally anyone else in these threads, shame he doesn't post much any more

I'd thwap her ass with my erect cock.