Why does Stephen King hate it?

Why does Stephen King hate it?

he's explained this already

1) in the movie jack is crazy basically from the start, in the book there is more progression from normal to nuts

2) in the movie shelly duval's character is just a shrieking idiot, not anything like a 'real person'

The narcissism that most writers have when they feel they haven't been "adequately consulted" regarding an adaptation of their works

Like One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

Insecure about an adaptation of his work being blatantly superior.

It's far better than the book

The book is about a child growing up and realizing that his parents are imperfect flawed human beings, but they still love him regardless.

The movie is about Jack Nicholson running around and yelling.

The movie is absolute shit.

Jack in the book is a much more nuanced character, and a reflection of himself and his personal demons while he was struggling with alcoholism. The book is a very personal story for him.

The movie turns him into a murderous one-note psychopath.

I find it odd that his hate towards The Shining is pretty strong even after so many years. I get that he didn't like Jack Nicholson in the role and Shelly was poorly adapted, but does that seriously overshadow everything else that is great about the movie? The dude seriously praises any other movie that is based of his work even if it is complete shit.

Also him saying that Kubrick "doesn't understand horror" was odd. That movie was scary as shit

>2) in the movie shelly duval's character is just a shrieking idiot, not anything like a 'real person'

have you ever met a woman

>The book is a very personal story for him.

But I thought King was off his face on coke during that period, not booze

This.
It's sad that Kubrick drones will never get this.

Stephen pls go

Is it possible to read/watch The Shining as separate things and enjoy both?

No, stop enjoying things you fag, you need to treat entertainment like a political party, pick a side and insult the other.

You should ask Stephen that.

The book is more specifically about King's alcoholism though. If I recall correctly, the incident with Danny's arm mirrors something that he himself enacted with his kid while he was drunk, same with the general desire to punish and hurt him.

He was a cokefiend though, that much is true, but I don't think it influenced the writing of The Shining all that much, except maybe for the pace at which it was written.

lol b8 m8

Lifeless corpse of Kubrick plz go.
Not an argument.

Sure.

Stephen King is a fucking terrible writer. He's mad that Kubrick made his schlock into something greater

I've never read or written a novel in my life but I am going to call Stephen King a retard for not liking Based Jack Nicholson acting crazy in a hotel.